Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Nik silver efex pro - what is going on?
Old 12-05-2012   #1
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Nik silver efex pro - what is going on?

Anyone know what is happening with Nik since the google acquisition?

I was thinking about picking up silver fx pro and when I did a search of Amazon it came back w/ currently not available. I went over to b&h and did a search there, it came back w/ discontinued

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012   #2
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,739
Doesn't seem that anything is going on. From what I can tell you can still buy and download it from Nik Software.

It is v2.xx and the one shown as not available on Amazon is v3.xx so perhaps that is the issue right now??
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012   #3
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Doesn't seem that anything is going on. From what I can tell you can still buy and download it from Nik Software.

It is v2.xx and the one shown as not available on Amazon is v3.xx so perhaps that is the issue right now??
Thanks. I did not catch it was for 3.x.

The b&h search was a generic one and only came back with the v2 version discontinued.

Guess I will now wait to c what is in v3.

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012   #4
Jim-st
Registered User
 
Jim-st's Avatar
 
Jim-st is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort William & Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 413
I got a copy of v.1 free from the link at the top of this LUG thread back in October

Looks like the link may still be working - worth a try as it will give you a feel for the software. I have used it a few times and it works well, but I think it's kind of over-priced. I'm not keen to spend almost twice as much for a plugin as the current price of Lightroom. Others may think otherwise...

Jim
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012   #5
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,756
No Gimp plugin? Thank you....
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012   #6
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-st View Post
I got a copy of v.1 free from the link at the top of this LUG thread back in October

Looks like the link may still be working - worth a try as it will give you a feel for the software. I have used it a few times and it works well, but I think it's kind of over-priced. I'm not keen to spend almost twice as much for a plugin as the current price of Lightroom. Others may think otherwise...

Jim
Thanks for the link

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #7
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Forgot to update this thread.

I did end up going to the nik sw site and I went thru the process of trying to buy the bundle package that included silver fx pro... When I went to hit the buy button, nothing happens.. Nothing is put into the cart . Tried several different approaches, but nothing seemed to work.

I went thru a search of again in b&h, adorama and amazon... The only search hit where I can buy anything is associated w/ buying a bundle such as a Wacom. All other searches return either discontinued or no match.

Is this becaude they are introducing their new version soon?

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #8
md2008
Registered User
 
md2008's Avatar
 
md2008 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 163
Just checked the Nik website. No problems - bundle shows up in the cart. Which browser are you using?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Forgot to update this thread.

I did end up going to the nik sw site and I went thru the process of trying to buy the bundle package that included silver fx pro... When I went to hit the buy button, nothing happens.. Nothing is put into the cart . Tried several different approaches, but nothing seemed to work.

I went thru a search of again in b&h, adorama and amazon... The only search hit where I can buy anything is associated w/ buying a bundle such as a Wacom. All other searches return either discontinued or no match.

Is this becaude they are introducing their new version soon?

Gary
__________________
RFF Gallery
Hexar AF Journal
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #9
nightfly
Registered User
 
nightfly is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,729
You might want to wait before buying as when Google bought Sketchup it went from being expensive to free.

I wonder if they are going to try and do some sort of Instagram like thing with the underlying logic. Seems like it would make sense for someone like Google to give the software away if they can somehow hook it into a way to upload your photos to the web where they can show you ads or grab some data from you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #10
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2008 View Post
Just checked the Nik website. No problems - bundle shows up in the cart. Which browser are you using?
Safari.. Java enabled. Hmmm... Are u using chrome or ie?

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #11
DNG
Film Friendly
 
DNG's Avatar
 
DNG is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Camby, Indiana. USA
Age: 63
Posts: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
You might want to wait before buying as when Google bought Sketchup it went from being expensive to free.

I wonder if they are going to try and do some sort of Instagram like thing with the underlying logic. Seems like it would make sense for someone like Google to give the software away if they can somehow hook it into a way to upload your photos to the web where they can show you ads or grab some data from you.
Say it ain't true !!!!!
__________________
Feedback Link
Flickr: My Street
Other Gallories
Nikon: F2, FM2n, EM, Konica FS-1, Fuji X100T
Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai
Hexanon: 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #12
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
You might want to wait before buying as when Google bought Sketchup it went from being expensive to free.

I wonder if they are going to try and do some sort of Instagram like thing with the underlying logic. Seems like it would make sense for someone like Google to give the software away if they can somehow hook it into a way to upload your photos to the web where they can show you ads or grab some data from you.
I am not one of those that would like web based. I hope they keep option for local use..as a plug-in for LR or aperture.

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #13
DNG
Film Friendly
 
DNG's Avatar
 
DNG is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Camby, Indiana. USA
Age: 63
Posts: 2,955
It is still a plug-in for all popuar Adobe photo products..
$199 Full
$99 Upgrade..

so not free...... yet.
If they did that, I don't think it will be a Full selection, and, if they do a web based edition... I also see a scaled down version. Why risk taking away sales with a Full version web based interface?

IF, they have future plans to an Instagram type App with a web based interface.
__________________
Feedback Link
Flickr: My Street
Other Gallories
Nikon: F2, FM2n, EM, Konica FS-1, Fuji X100T
Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai
Hexanon: 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #14
nightfly
Registered User
 
nightfly is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,729
I was just speculating on why they would want this .

With Sketchup they gave away the downloadable version and you didn't need to do anything or post anything online but I think they did maintain an online exchange.

Seems like they could roll it into Picassa in the hopes of invigorating the online community but who knows. Just a guess on my part but with photo social sites being such a big deal and Google having Picassa as a distant 3rd to Facebook (Instagram) and Yahoo (Flickr), seems like it would make sense.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #15
macfiend
Registered User
 
macfiend's Avatar
 
macfiend is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 160
Silver Efex Pro 2 (latest version) is only available as a download. No one carries a retail box purchase anymore.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013   #16
johannielscom
Leica II is The One
 
johannielscom's Avatar
 
johannielscom is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Universitas Terre Threntiae
Posts: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Safari.. Java enabled. Hmmm... Are u using chrome or ie?

Gary
No-no for Safari with me. Could not get the thing to download. FireFox did the job in a heartbeat.


Go to the front page. Click Register product at the right hand side and log on with the account you created before you could receive the product key.
It will take you to a page with the products you already registered and that will include v1.007. Click the link and download it, choosing the correct operating system and language.

I'll set it up on my Mac tomorrow, it's past my bedtime here.


Thanks for the links, been planning to test drive Silver Efex for a while now and this is a simple and free way for a first test!
__________________
www.johanniels.com | flickr | instagram
  Reply With Quote

Problem solved :)
Old 01-10-2013   #17
GaryLH
Registered User
 
GaryLH's Avatar
 
GaryLH is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,185
Problem solved :)

I tried chrome next and that did not work as well. I started to look at more closely at the behavior pattern... And decided to start disabling certain features of my intergo firewall. This solved the problem... It looks like nik or google is using a level of cookie info gathering that is not normal, once I disabled the cookie filter, safari worked fine.

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Joe Crumley
Registered User
 
Joe Crumley is offline
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Will NIK work along? If so I'd feel more secure.
I'm just hoping someone finds a way around this future problem.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nik had a few more adjustments like cropping, distortion controlll, etc..
But I can get along with it as is.

My hopes about Google seeing the light are dim. Look what they did to Picasso.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Art Vandalay
Imported from Detroit
 
Art Vandalay is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Posts: 68
Holy thread resurrection.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,405
Dead software but I'll keep using it for as long as I have a platform that supports it. It's very good. It's interesting to click on the help button at the bottom of the interface ... it goes nowhere!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
f16sunshine
Moderator
 
f16sunshine's Avatar
 
f16sunshine is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Age: 49
Posts: 5,650
I miss seeing Gary....
He was a kind and thoughtful contributor here.
__________________
Andy
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 40,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I miss seeing Gary....
He was a kind and thoughtful contributor here.
any idea what happened to him?
i asked around but no new info about his departure...
__________________
heart soul & a camera

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is online now
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Crumley View Post
Will NIK work along? If so I'd feel more secure.
I'm just hoping someone finds a way around this future problem.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nik had a few more adjustments like cropping, distortion controlll, etc..
But I can get along with it as is.

My hopes about Google seeing the light are dim. Look what they did to Picasso.
Wait... The only way I'm using NiK is as stand alone applications. I only downloaded it for first time few months ago. 32-bit for XP, 64-bit for Win 10. Each folder after install has exe file. Click and go.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:57.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.