Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 12-06-2012   #81
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagliostro73 View Post
Since I've just begun my 40th year on this life, I've decided to start a serious photographic project.

Until now, I've always been a "casual" shooter, although I've almost shot the same "subjects" I've never started a serious project.

But now, my first 40 years deserve something more serious. So There's the idea. 40 years in 40mm. I do not care if it is a new one or not. It's mine.
One camera: my M2, one lens: my summicron 40c. 11 rolls of Kodak 400cn (that's 400 shots, more or less). Living in Rome gives me a huge source of inspiration and I would like to capture some good pictures of places and people living here.
I'll pick up 40 shots and I'll make a photo book with them.
I'd like so much if you RFF members could help me in the selection of these pics.
Of course I won't flood the forum with all the 400 pics. Maybe 60-80 of them, for your consideration.
What do you think?
Regards, D.

Appreciated.

Old 12-06-2012   #82
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
Susan Bank

One lens, a 28mm, one camera, an M6. For 10 years and counting.

http://www.susansbank.com/
Impressive, thanks for the link.

Old 12-06-2012   #83
astro8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
Susan Bank

One lens, a 28mm, one camera, an M6. For 10 years and counting.

http://www.susansbank.com/
Very impressive work.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-06-2012   #84
mdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
I would say that the 1 lens, 1 camera body is not a purist approach to this Nirvana-esque goal.

Since the lens could come off, I propose that only fixed lens cameras be considered.
I have only one leica and one summicron. Should I glue the lens to the camera permanently?

Old 12-15-2012   #85
Ibon Recio
I Love Film!!!

Quote:
Since I've just begun my 40th year on this life, I've decided to start a serious photographic project.

Until now, I've always been a "casual" shooter, although I've almost shot the same "subjects" I've never started a serious project.

But now, my first 40 years deserve something more serious. So There's the idea. 40 years in 40mm. I do not care if it is a new one or not. It's mine.
One camera: my M2, one lens: my summicron 40c. 11 rolls of Kodak 400cn (that's 400 shots, more or less). Living in Rome gives me a huge source of inspiration and I would like to capture some good pictures of places and people living here.
I'd like so much if you RFF members could help me in the selection of these pics.
Of course I won't flood the forum with all the 400 pics. Maybe 60-80 of them, for your consideration.
What do you think?
Regards, D.
Great idea!!!
Good luck and hope to see your photographs.

Old 12-30-2012   #86
nikonlover

What is his name please ?

Old 12-30-2012   #87
ampguy

I'm considering doing this for 2013. Anyone else?

Old 12-30-2012   #88
mfogiel

Not to be a goofer, but from personal experience, I would say, that if you want a book with 40 good photos, you should probably consider shooting AT LEAST 4000 frames, not 400. Even Saint HCB was not getting 1 decent shot out of 10...

Old 12-31-2012   #89
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Not to be a goofer, but from personal experience, I would say, that if you want a book with 40 good photos, you should probably consider shooting AT LEAST 4000 frames, not 400. Even Saint HCB was not getting 1 decent shot out of 10...
Not necessarily, I would imagine a lot depends on your approach and how static your subject matter is..

http://500px.com/Murchu

Old 12-31-2012   #90
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murchu View Post
Not necessarily, I would imagine a lot depends on your approach and how static your subject matter is..
I agree, and sometimes you won't get a good shot in 10 rolls, sometimes you'll get 10 on one roll. Also it'll depend on your own personal standards, and the way you work.

I'm really only shooting medium format now, not 35mm, I get more keepers per roll than I did with 35mm, despite having 12 shots not 36. It's not because I'm any better with MF, I'm just happier with the shots, personally.

Old 12-31-2012   #91
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
............ Even Saint HCB was not getting 1 decent shot out of 10...
I suspect that Saint Ansel, despite shooting 8x10 with much time to contemplate the image, did not average 1 out of 10 that he was really happy with.

Of course it is all a function of our personal definition of what is really good.

Old 12-31-2012   #92
jsrockit

Quote:
I would think this all comes down to what type of book you are making and who your intended audience is. I make a book every month. It's not because I think I have this many great photos, but because it is part of my editing process. It helps me really find my good ones if I see them different ways (on screen, big prints, book, etc.). I've found books to be my easiest way to bulk print at sizes larger than 4x6". Now, if you plan on trying to "make it" in the art world with your book, then you have to edit quite heavily. If you are making a family album, they don;t need to be edited the same way.

Think 'project'...
Old 05-11-2013   #93
rjschell

Think 'project'...

In the spirit of Brooks Jensen and Lenswork, I propose not concentrating on the time frame. Instead, create a body of work around the limitations and strengths of working simply with one camera & lens.

Old 06-29-2013   #94
philcycles

2 replies in one:
Eisenstadt once said that if he got one good shot from a roll of 36 he was doing pretty well. That gives me hope.
And on the one camera thing, no contest: M3 with a 50mm Summicron.

Old 01-13-2014   #95
xavoy

It won't be exclusive (I'll have to use digital if I get any jobs, and a 90mm for formal portraits) but I intend my Voigtlander 40mm attached to my R3m to be responsible for at least 90% of my output in 2014.

Old 01-13-2014   #96
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

The one camera, one lens challenge (or project, or body of work or whatever you choose to call it) begs the question: Black and White or Color?

Old 01-13-2014   #97
xavoy

noisycheese - black and white for me.

Old 04-05-2014   #98
Chucknova

I'm going with the Bolsey with the non-removable 44mm f3.2 Wollensak made in Ra cha cha!

Old 04-05-2014   #99
Chucknova

Quote:

What do you think?
Regards, D.
Looking forward to your photos. I'll be in Rome in about 2 weeks.

Old 04-05-2014   #100
Chucknova

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavoy View Post
noisycheese - black and white for me.
Beautiful photos on your sites!

Old 04-05-2014   #101
Chucknova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcary View Post
Question; would it be cheating to use two different format cameras if the lens were of the same or close to the same relative focal length?
Example M4-2 with 35mm and Fuji GS645S with 60mm
Tri-X and Arista Premium 400.
JUST PICK ONE!

Old 04-18-2014   #102
Linkert

Yashica FX-D Quartz (currently naked because of the poor quality letherettetteteet, replacement to come)
YUS Automatic 28mm f2.8
Ilford FP4 Plus 125

Adding entry to the calendar for the next easter to mark a year

Old School
Old 08-22-2014   #103
mek1951

Old School

Yashika Twin Lens Reflex. BW 400. Old habits.

Old 09-10-2014   #104
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

I think this would be a very good thing to do, boiling things down to essentials. I would very much like to do it but I have to decide exactly what I wanted to do before deciding on one camera/one lens. I'm having a difficult time doing that. Maybe if I just jump in the deep end.

Old 11-10-2014   #105
philcycles

M3 with a 50 Summicron.

Old 04-01-2015   #106
Tom Niblick

I decided to do this long before I picked up my Monochrom. I thought I'd use my trusty old (1969) 50 Summicron but one month in I think I'm going to go with a newer 50 Summicron. I'd just like a little more contrast. I'll try shooting both for a few days and then pick the one I like best and sell the other. If I keep the new one, I'll start the year over.
Still, I really like the idea of one lens on one camera. Brings me back to 1969. I've posted some my latest images shot with the old 50 in the gallery. It is an interesting challenge shooting surfers with a "normal" lens.

Old 07-21-2015   #107
rpavich

I'm a latecomer to this thread and I have an Elmarit 28/2.8 coming in a few days that would be perfect to be welded to my R-D1x.

I'll post when something happens!

Old 10-28-2015   #108
Jimbo035
James M Turner

i am certain that Cartier Bresson, "master of the Decisive Moment" and co-founder of the world famous Magnum photo-agency, produced most if not all his iconic photographs with the same one camera and one lens.
e.g. from Wikipedia : "He acquired the Leica camera with 50 mm lens in Marseilles that would accompany him for many years. The anonymity that the small camera gave him in a crowd or during an intimate moment was essential in overcoming the formal and unnatural behaviour of those who were aware of being photographed."

Last edited by Jimbo035 : 10-28-2015 at 08:44. Reason: additional material