Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-20-2016   #41
oftheherd
Registered User
 
oftheherd's Avatar
 
oftheherd is offline
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillauser View Post
Hi, I have a 23 and a Universal. Using the 23 because the Universal has a little problem with the frame lines not moving as I focus. I have the 50mm, 65mm, 100mm f3.5 collapsable, 150mm silver, and a 250 f5 black. I use the S backs, 6x9 for B&W and 6x7 for color. I've not used it much since my darkroom has been in boxes for at least 10 years. With luck I can get it set up this winter. The last lab I used did not scan 120 negatives and their proof prints were very disappointing. So I have nothing to show at the moment. Glad I found this site though. Will keep in touch
Welcome to RFF from Northern Virginia. Look forward to your future input, especially on the Super Press 23. I don't get to use my cameras much anymore due to work and life. I keep hoping to get out the 23 again as I always enjoyed using it. I got some really great photos with that in the past.
__________________
My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #42
JChrome
Street Worker
 
JChrome's Avatar
 
JChrome is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillauser View Post
Hi, I have a 23 and a Universal. Using the 23 because the Universal has a little problem with the frame lines not moving as I focus. I have the 50mm, 65mm, 100mm f3.5 collapsable, 150mm silver, and a 250 f5 black. I use the S backs, 6x9 for B&W and 6x7 for color. I've not used it much since my darkroom has been in boxes for at least 10 years. With luck I can get it set up this winter. The last lab I used did not scan 120 negatives and their proof prints were very disappointing. So I have nothing to show at the moment. Glad I found this site though. Will keep in touch

That's a great setup. I've got many of those lenses. Never used the 65mm but I'd like to. One problem with the 250 F5 is focusing it at close distance. It's a lovey lens but I can never nail the focus using the rangefinder. The ground glass back is a necessity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
www.stillthrill.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #43
rybolt
Registered User
 
rybolt's Avatar
 
rybolt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yellow Springs, Ohio
Posts: 550
I got my first Universal in 1968, and I haven't been without one since that time. I've owned all of the lenses at one time or another. I've primarily used it as a mini-view camera with the ground glass back and the 6X9 roll holder. I use the rear bellows as an extension tube for closer focus. The 50mm lens is superb.
__________________
Fuji X Pro 1,XT 1and XF1 cameras and lenses.
Sony RX1
Leica M6 with black Wetzlar 50mm
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #44
ColSebastianMoran
Registered User
 
ColSebastianMoran's Avatar
 
ColSebastianMoran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,532
Have this system, Universal and several lenses.

I don't use it: New gear is small, light, and at 24MPx, excellent image quality.

I do miss it.
__________________
Col. Sebastian Moran, ret. (not really)

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #45
mich rassena
Registered User
 
mich rassena is offline
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 78
I'm really surprised the Mamiya press isn't a more popular camera. It has a rangefinder and a ground glass option, rear movements, takes a variety of film backs, is relatively compact (i.e. no front bellows to unfold) and quite robust. I think I prefer it to the Graflex XL, which always feels a bit fragile, especially the focus ring.

I've used it some with the 65mm lens using the rangefinder to focus. It's a good walking around camera. Probably a bit on the heavy side, but I use an accessory handle which makes it manageable.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #46
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 7,440
I like mine but it isn't a casual use camera. I have the 105mm and the 65mm, surprisingly easy to steadily handhold:

Arista EDU ultra 100 at 50-HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #47
besk
Registered User
 
besk is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Carolina (USA)
Posts: 340
In my opinion, if camera had been made lighter it would have been far more popular. Has a lot going for it. I have several including a "flat-top."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
I'm really surprised the Mamiya press isn't a more popular camera. It has a rangefinder and a ground glass option, rear movements, takes a variety of film backs, is relatively compact (i.e. no front bellows to unfold) and quite robust. I think I prefer it to the Graflex XL, which always feels a bit fragile, especially the focus ring.

I've used it some with the 65mm lens using the rangefinder to focus. It's a good walking around camera. Probably a bit on the heavy side, but I use an accessory handle which makes it manageable.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016   #48
Spanik
Registered User
 
Spanik is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,328
Sort of user. I have a Standard 23 that I bought as a set with a lot of parts that never were taken out of the box since bought in 1969. But it has a light leak I cannot find. Then there is a Super 23 that I should try one day and anotherone I want to use as a pinhole.

Nice cameras but heavy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2016   #49
oftheherd
Registered User
 
oftheherd's Avatar
 
oftheherd is offline
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
Sort of user. I have a Standard 23 that I bought as a set with a lot of parts that never were taken out of the box since bought in 1969. But it has a light leak I cannot find. Then there is a Super 23 that I should try one day and anotherone I want to use as a pinhole.

Nice cameras but heavy.
They are heavy. I got mine when I was in my early 30s. It really didn't seem heavy then, and I loved those 6x7 negatives. Now with occasional back problems I think otherwise. And despite my best efforts, I cannot convince my wife who hates cameras, that it would be a kind gesture to carry my Super Press kit for me.
__________________
My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2017   #50
kriskirk
Registered User
 
kriskirk is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24
picked up a mamiya universal with the 127mm and 100mm with a 6x9 and just got a 6x7 back today. its really fun to use. makes you stop and think about your shot. the image quality is fantastic.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2017   #51
zillauser
Registered User
 
zillauser's Avatar
 
zillauser is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oscoda, Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 10
Good to see some activity on this particular thread. Still meaning to get my negs scanned so I can post some images. One of my New Years resolutions is to unpack my darkroom that has been in boxes for twenty years.
__________________
Zillauser, Richard, Mamiya Universal & 23, Leica M8, M6, M5, M2, Contax RTS
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017   #52
Baipin
Registered User
 
Baipin's Avatar
 
Baipin is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 61
I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm glad I did. It's nice to see a few other members can appreciate this relatively obscure and underrated camera... And we can do it in our own little corner of the internet.



I've since added an Arca-type L-plate and leather hand grip. It's my go to setup and works very well for backpacking, shooting handheld, and on a tripod.

Virtually all my serious work has been shot with a Mamiya Super 23, with a custom Graflok back, a 100mm f/2.8, or 65mm f6.3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017   #53
ColSebastianMoran
Registered User
 
ColSebastianMoran's Avatar
 
ColSebastianMoran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,532
@Baipin, nice setup. 100 f/2.8 is great. The little Voigtlander meter. Good stuff.
__________________
Col. Sebastian Moran, ret. (not really)

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017   #54
zillauser
Registered User
 
zillauser's Avatar
 
zillauser is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oscoda, Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 10
Nice setup Baipin, I looked at your gallery, liked that stuff too. Keep shooting and posting.
__________________
Zillauser, Richard, Mamiya Universal & 23, Leica M8, M6, M5, M2, Contax RTS
  Reply With Quote

Any Mamiya Press users here?
Old 01-24-2017   #55
JChrome
Street Worker
 
JChrome's Avatar
 
JChrome is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 802
Any Mamiya Press users here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baipin View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm glad I did. It's nice to see a few other members can appreciate this relatively obscure and underrated camera... And we can do it in our own little corner of the internet.



I've since added an Arca-type L-plate and leather hand grip. It's my go to setup and works very well for backpacking, shooting handheld, and on a tripod.

Virtually all my serious work has been shot with a Mamiya Super 23, with a custom Graflok back, a 100mm f/2.8, or 65mm f6.3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/
I also don't use the handle. It's really ergonomic but the weight of the system stops me from using it.

Could you let me know more about the custom back? What is custom about it and how did you make it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
www.stillthrill.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017   #56
besk
Registered User
 
besk is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Carolina (USA)
Posts: 340
The G back is used for my Universal. That back is a Graflok back. That back has been modified to take Horseman holders.

Also, don't use the handle. Instead attached a wooden handle to the side and use it to grip the camera. It is light and fits close to the side of the camera. Will try to get a photo posted in a week or so.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017   #57
zillauser
Registered User
 
zillauser's Avatar
 
zillauser is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oscoda, Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 10
I think the standard graflok back will take mamiya RB 67 backs.
__________________
Zillauser, Richard, Mamiya Universal & 23, Leica M8, M6, M5, M2, Contax RTS
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017   #58
zillauser
Registered User
 
zillauser's Avatar
 
zillauser is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oscoda, Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 10
JChrome, how are you holding the camera if you are not using a handle? I'd like to see a picture of that.
__________________
Zillauser, Richard, Mamiya Universal & 23, Leica M8, M6, M5, M2, Contax RTS
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2017   #59
JChrome
Street Worker
 
JChrome's Avatar
 
JChrome is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillauser View Post
JChrome, how are you holding the camera if you are not using a handle? I'd like to see a picture of that.


I just hold the box. It's not ergonomic at all but it works.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
www.stillthrill.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60
Baipin
Registered User
 
Baipin's Avatar
 
Baipin is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 61
Hopefully this will give you some insight into what I do:







Please excuse the crappy cellphone pictures! ;-) Here's one of the setup in practice, with the 65mm f/6.3:



...Taken just as I was shooting this:



Enjoy!
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
zillauser
Registered User
 
zillauser's Avatar
 
zillauser is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oscoda, Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 10
I certainly looks like a good setup with the leather strap. Less clunky than the standard handgrip on the left side. What is that skeletal bracket that you have on the left side? Looks like it prevents you from using the tilt back. Also I see you are using a Super 23 with the graflok back. ( I don't even know the designation for that model. ( I happened to get one recently by accident. My Universal and Super 23 that I use take the S shaped backs.
__________________
Zillauser, Richard, Mamiya Universal & 23, Leica M8, M6, M5, M2, Contax RTS
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
Baipin
Registered User
 
Baipin's Avatar
 
Baipin is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillauser View Post
I certainly looks like a good setup with the leather strap. Less clunky than the standard handgrip on the left side. What is that skeletal bracket that you have on the left side? Looks like it prevents you from using the tilt back. Also I see you are using a Super 23 with the graflok back. ( I don't even know the designation for that model. ( I happened to get one recently by accident. My Universal and Super 23 that I use take the S shaped backs.
Thank you! The leather strap allows me to hold the camera very well. The bracket on the side wraps underneath as well; it's an Arca-type tripod plate which I made myself from a Sunwayfoto bracket. I can use the tilt back just fine as the knobs only need to tilt a few degrees to loosen. Just press it down/clockwise with your thumb to loosen, counterclockwise to tighten. The interaction between that knob and the bracket comes down to some very tight tolerances, but I was able to do it with a mere hacksaw and a file; anything is possible!

I know there was a Press G model, but I know of no official Super 23/Universal type body that used a Graflok back. I took mine off of a Press G since the struts are of the same dimensions and the Press/Super 23 have the same flange focal distance. All this involves is some alcohol (to unglue the bellows, or drink if you punch a hole through them) a screwdriver, and some glue.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:05.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.