Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Fixed Lens 35mm RF

Fixed Lens 35mm RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

Old 01-31-2014   #121
alienmeatsack

I looked up the top 3, all are expensive, but they got so much love here I need to check them out.

And I seem to have killed the thread. Sorry.

Old 01-31-2014   #122
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmeatsack View Post
I looked up the top 3, all are expensive, but they got so much love here I need to check them out.

And I seem to have killed the thread. Sorry.
Out of your top 3, the Konica S2 is by far the cheapest, and the easiest for DIY repairs.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-31-2014   #123
alienmeatsack

I don't know about the rest of you but I have a small film camera addiction and when someone says "THIS IS THE BEST! I LOVE IT!", I need that camera, regardless of how many cameras I own that are amazing.

I've been looking at the Oly 35 RC for a while, now I just know how much more I need one for my shooting collection.

The Hexar is just way too much for me at this point and I have $300-500 lenses in the line ahead of it... I will have to look into the S2... To me, if it's under $100 USD, I can justify it much more easily then if it's $300+ USD. But I see posts here of people saying they found this camera or that camera for $10-30 somewhere and I wonder if I should hold out for the magic barn find version of some of these or just buy the ones I come across that seem reasonable.

I'm still looking for an all black Electro 35 GSN for myself that works and has no issues to go with my E35 standard... Also on the list.

Old 01-31-2014   #124
Rodchenko
Olympian

I was deeply underwhelmed with my Electro 35. But horses for etc.

Old 01-31-2014   #125
alienmeatsack

Would it be taking the thread off-topic to inquire what turned you off of the Electro 35? I am curious since I love mine. Maybe I only love it because I've not used some of the others mentioned here and they are vastly superior? Curiosity.

Old 02-05-2014   #126
Joe Vitessa

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you but I have a small film camera addiction and when someone says "THIS IS THE BEST! I LOVE IT!", I need that camera, regardless of how many cameras I own that are amazing.

I've been looking at the Oly 35 RC for a while, now I just know how much more I need one for my shooting collection.

The Hexar is just way too much for me at this point and I have $300-500 lenses in the line ahead of it... I will have to look into the S2... To me, if it's under $100 USD, I can justify it much more easily then if it's $300+ USD. But I see posts here of people saying they found this camera or that camera for $10-30 somewhere and I wonder if I should hold out for the magic barn find version of some of these or just buy the ones I come across that seem reasonable.

I'm still looking for an all black Electro 35 GSN for myself that works and has no issues to go with my E35 standard... Also on the list.
Yes, you do need the Oly 35RC. Just a great camera in a very small package. It's currently tied for my favorite with the aforementioned Konica IIIa. Now that's a handsome machine!

Old 02-05-2014   #127
alienmeatsack

Since I posted this, I've been bidding on and losing several of the cameras from this thread. I did win a Canonet Q19 for almost nothing, then realized it was a Q19 not a Q17.

I've also been trying to get a working Oly 35RC but people seem to know they are worth something because I cannot find a working one that hasn't gone for near $100 USD it seems like.

I will find one and buy it when the stars align just right. I know it, I can feel it in my bones. This thread just reminds me of why I need certain cameras more for my collection.

Old 02-05-2014   #128
CliveC

Quote:
Since I posted this, I've been bidding on and losing several of the cameras from this thread. I did win a Canonet Q19 for almost nothing, then realized it was a Q19 not a Q17.

I've also been trying to get a working Oly 35RC but people seem to know they are worth something because I cannot find a working one that hasn't gone for near $100 USD it seems like.

I will find one and buy it when the stars align just right. I know it, I can feel it in my bones. This thread just reminds me of why I need certain cameras more for my collection.

Then one day, when you're not even looking (or worse, when you've already bought one), bam, the camera you wanted for next to nothing. Life's funny that way. I had the same thing happen when I was Rollei 35 shopping. Ended up with two in the same week. (35 and 35S).

Old 02-06-2014   #129
alienmeatsack

Dear photography Gods, please let the fixed lens RF cameras I want "BAM" for me like Clive said, sooner then later. Love, ams.

Old 02-06-2014   #130
john_pears

i have an electro 35cc which i picked after a good deal of research into fixed lens rfs its has currently been sidelined by my new rollei 35s mainly because of its inability to use film faster than 400iso and being winter i find i need faster film to shoot around f8 at a useful shutter speed. i appreciate that in other situations the large aperture negates the use of faster film compared to other fixed lens rfs,
i also wish it had the depth of field markings on the lens for ease of scale focusing at bigger apertures also. sooooo
rollei 35
1 very compact although might not be when i buy a rangefinder and stick it in coldshoe
2 meter compatible 1600iso film
3 it just looks so cool

Old 02-06-2014   #131
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Quote:
Dear photography Gods, please let the fixed lens RF cameras I want "BAM" for me like Clive said, sooner then later. Love, ams.
I've had way too many cameras and lenses "BAM" me in the last few years. Even after giving some to school photography programs I really need to downsize. I will admit though that it has been fun trying different gear.

Best of luck on your "BAM."

ETA I really loved my 35RC until my son lost it. For my Electro 35 however I haven't developed the same fondness though it takes great photos. It's just a little too big.

ETA2 I guess my BAM would be an Olympus 35-S ll (Tower 18) which I would jump on at the right price. http://tunnel13.com/cameras/tower_35s.htm

Yes please...
Old 02-07-2014   #132
rwintle
Scientist by day

Yes please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianphotoart View Post
Far and away, this was my favourite. Bright 1:1 viewfinder that was "epic" in today's parlance. Sadly now gone -- smashed by a grand fall.

Argh. Now I want one. So pretty.

Old 02-17-2014   #133
Skulls Road

Hard for me to choose a favorite.

What I own:
Oly 35RC - small, quiet, quick, good lens, dont like the feel of focusing ring
Electro 35GT - didn't speak to me, not sure why im not a fan, good lens though
Kodak Signet 35 - stylish, classic tessar look, slow to use, 1/300 max
Petri CC 1.9 - might be my favorite, sharp wide open, stylish, quiet
Fujica V2 - well built, thumb wheel focus, stylish, rare-ish, only one roll so far but i like it
Ricoh 500G - cheap and cheerful, like a low budget OlyRC with a crappier viewfinder

I was very surprised by the Petri. My test roll came out great and after I cleaned the viewfinder it got super clear. The rangefinder patch isn't as clear as the Oly or Electro but the size is pretty good.

I just shelled out $140 to get the Fujica V2 repaired by Mark Hama (took 3 months to get it back too) but I was a little underwhelmed by the test roll. I'll shoot another and pass judgement. It looks great and the ergonomics are fun.

Old 02-17-2014   #134
Pioneer

Things change for me as time goes along but these are my current favorites:

6x9 - Agfa Billy Record III w105mm Solinar
1. Great Handling
2. Light and compact for the size of the negative
3. That negative is stunning when you do your job.

6x6 & 6x7 - Fuji GF670
1. Nearly silent
2. The lens
3. Very portable

35mm - Ansco Super Memar w/50mm Solagon
1. Very easy to use
2. Shutter is nearly as silent as one on Fuji GF670
3. The lens is very, very good.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 02-17-2014   #135
farlymac
PF McFarland

My Agfa Karat 36

1: Solinar

2: Collapsible

3: I put a lot of work into it, bringing it back to life from a "Stored for years" hell

PF

ps: I would have said my Ansco Super Memar with the Solagon, but that lens is scratched up, and unusable.

Old 02-17-2014   #136
gb hill

Can't believe I haven't seen this before now. Canonet QL 17GIII.
1. It was my 1st rangefinder & fun to carry

2. I like the 40/1.7 lens. Plus takes good photos with the Canonlite flash

3. Has a good meter.

Old 02-17-2014   #137
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Konica Hexar AF. Or at least it has been my favorite since 2003.
Just a few days ago i got my second Kodak Retina IIa with 50mm f/2 Xenon and I have to say that little camera is starting to sway me more towards the folder than the modern Hexar. Both are amazing, regardless!

Phil Forrest

Old 02-17-2014   #138
CliveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls Road View Post
Hard for me to choose a favorite.

Petri CC 1.9 - might be my favorite, sharp wide open, stylish, quiet

I was very surprised by the Petri. My test roll came out great and after I cleaned the viewfinder it got super clear. The rangefinder patch isn't as clear as the Oly or Electro but the size is pretty good.
I just looked this up and came up with two versions, one has a large green window and the other has small viewfinder/rangefinder windows. Could be the same camera with different facades.

Which one do you have?

Old 02-17-2014   #139
divewizard
perspicaz

I own several fixed lens rangefinders; Olympus Wide-S, Olympus 35SP, Fuji GA645S, Fujica GW690, Fuji GSW690II, and a Wollensak Stereo 10.

My Olympus 35SP is my favorite 35mm camera. The outstanding lens, light weight, spot metering, and exposure lock make it the easiest to use of any of my RFs.

Of the medium format rangefinders the big bruiser Texas Leica 6x9s take stunning photos, but the Fuji GS645S has a fantastic lens which is a sharp as my Mamiya 6 or Hasselblad, a built in meter (similar to a Nikon FM), frame lines keyed to the focus, and is the lightest medium format camera I own. Because of these reasons I believe the Fuji GS645S is the by far the best fixed lens rangefinder.

Chris Grossman
diver.net
3D-Photography.com

Old 02-18-2014   #140
Skulls Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveC View Post
I just looked this up and came up with two versions, one has a large green window and the other has small viewfinder/rangefinder windows. Could be the same camera with different facades.

Which one do you have?
Large green window. From the pictures I've seen I suspect the one I have has a larger viewfinder and later serial numbers on the lens.

It's a great camera and I enjoy it. Although mine was treasured by the original owner I think. It came in a case with all the original accessories. Hood, a cooling, warming, and UV filter all matching silver and Petri branded. Lens cap is a nice metal one, too.

Old 03-18-2014   #141
CloseContax
Sonnaristo

The Hexar AF if we're being strict.

I also love the Nikon 35Ti, though it's not a rangefinder. Great lenses on both cameras.

"Pictures give evidence." -Pinkhassov

Old 03-19-2014   #142
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Oly XA. Makes sense why it is with fixed lens.

Fixed Lens RF
Old 06-07-2014   #143
hilltime

Fixed Lens RF

After a lot of thought on this subject, I think I would have to go with my Voigtlander Perkeo E with it's Color-Scopar 80/3.5. Medium format quality in the size of a compact 35mm body. If pressed, in Japanese RF I can't argue with the Konica IIIM or IIIA (which I have both) with 50/1.8 Hexanon or maybe the Topcon 35L with 44/2 Topcor lens. In German RF, my favorite is probably the Agfa Super Silette with the 50/2 Solagon. For uniqueness, the built in spring drive Auto Terra Super L with it's 45/1.8 Zunow. Too many cameras..... to choose the ultimate!

Old 06-20-2014   #144
yashcannik

If I could only keep one it would have to be my Yashica GSN .

1 Its easy to use you don"t miss the shot while adjusting the camera.

2 It"s quiet I used to photograph weddings and used it during the ceremony with available light even when I was told it was not allowed.

3 This camera does not know how to take a bad picture I am still amazed at the pictures every time I get a roll back from processing . I've owned this camera for 20 years it has not changed. Rich

Old 07-14-2014   #145
CliveC

Digging this thread back up since I just managed to find an Olympus 35RC.
It's not perfect, but pretty clean. It's a nice little camera, but it almost feels a world away from the Olympus RD. The focusing mechanism just feels plain cheap, but does have a very short throw. The film advance actually seems to be better than the RD.

If only they built an RC-sized camera with the lens of the RD!

On my list, only an Olympus 35SP left to go from this line/era.

Minolta Hi-Matic 11
Old 05-21-2015   #146
brownaj

Minolta Hi-Matic 11

The only fixed lens rangefinder I own is the Minolta Hi-Matic 11. I like it because

1. it was my first "serious" camera;

2. the aperture and shutter speed are shown in the viewfinder;

3. after 40+ years, it still works like a champ.

Old 05-22-2015   #147
codester80
A Touch of Light

Petri Super Color-correct f/1.9

This is the poor man's Leica. It even has a red dot! Leaf shutter that is impossible to hear. A Leica shutter sounds like a herd of elephants compared to the Petri. The lens is fast and sharp. No meter but full control of aperature and shutter speeds. Bright, contrasty finder. It's feels extremely solid in the hands and is a joy to shoot. Cheap too. I paid $40 for a mint copy.

Old 06-20-2016   #148
flavio81

I have own or owned the following:

Zeiss Contessa (folding)
Minox 35GT
Olympus Trip 35
Rollei 35 made in germany
Agfa Karat IV
Electro 35 GSN
Electro 35 GL
* Olympus 35SP
Olympus Pen S3.5
Kodak Retina IIIc
* Walz Envoy M35
* Fujica 35EE
Voigtlander Vitoret DR
Voigtlander Vitomatic Ia

* = unusable for now, they need repair

From all the list my favorite is the Kodak Retina IIIc, it is just superb.
The best lens in terms of rendering is the one on my Agfa Karat IV
I liked the Electro 35GSN, it had the right combination of everything except for manual mode and compactness.

Of the ultra compact cameras the Olympus Pen S3.5 (half frame) is my favorite -- tiny, well built, all manual, great lens. The Minox 35 was great until it died. I replaced it with a Rollei 35 -- big mistake. The Rollei is cumbersome to use. Sold it.

Moving up in size i just bought and restored a Voigtlander Vitomatic Ia, scale focus camera, and I think i will love this camera.

The best viewfinder and rangefinder is the one on the lowly Vitoret DR, believe it or not. Once cleaned, it is big and excellent.

The top cameras in terms of build quality are:
#1 Voigtlander Vitomatic Ia and Zeiss Contessa
#2 Kodak Retina IIIc
#3 Walz Envoy and Agfa Karat Iv and Fujica 35EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by divewizard View Post
Olympus 35SP is my favorite 35mm camera. The outstanding lens, light weight, spot metering, and exposure lock make it the easiest to use of any of my RFs.
I have yet to repair the 35SP but so far the build quality is below my standards, the shutter button is horrible in travel and feel, the sound is too loud, and the shutter vibrates more than acceptably for a central leaf shutter. The viewfinder is unremarkable.

I want to love the SP but i can't help but feel it has been overrated too much on the internet. Yeah, i know, the lens -- but i have wonderful lenses on the Fujica, Vitomatic, Walz, and Agfa as well.

On the other hand the Olympus Pen S3.5 is everything a good Olympus should be, including smooth and well built. The lens is excellent, unit-focusing, focusing collar is smooth, all manual controls easily available.

Old 06-20-2016   #149
Dirk

Flavio, what lens is on your Karat?

My favorit RF (OK, strictly speaking a VF) is the Minox 35GT. I had mine fixed many years ago by Don Goldman (sp?), and it's worked like a charm ever since.

Old 06-20-2016   #150
flavio81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Flavio, what lens is on your Karat?

My favorit RF (OK, strictly speaking a VF) is the Minox 35GT. I had mine fixed many years ago by Don Goldman (sp?), and it's worked like a charm ever since.
The agfa s0l4g0n (don't tell anyone -- we don't want prices to rise)

Old 09-05-2016   #151
Dormeur74

Hi all,
My favorite single lens cameras are Konica (IIA to IIIM).
Best regards from France.

Old 02-17-2017   #152
Saijem

As of this moment, I will have to say that my Konics C35 is my number 1 shooter.
The build, the tack sharp lens and the feeling that it was made with "creativity abilities", keeps it on top of my list.

But my Minolta Hi-Matic F is running in a close 2nd place.

Fujifilm X-E1, 27, 18-55, 50-230 & Fuji X20
Recent Finds: Konica C35, Minolta Hi-Matic F, Oly Trip 35

Old 02-18-2017   #153
David Hughes

Hi,

There's a lot to be said for the C35, I like the aperture and shutter speed display; unusual in a program mode only camera. It's a pity it needs the mercury batteries...

Regards, David