Old 02-06-2006   #41
jorgef2002
VISUAL MOMENTS OF LIFE

Fellow Photographers,last night in ebay I won a leica M2 with a lens,summicromF5.cm 1.2,for $739.00,the camera is in good shape a nick here and there but overall clean,question I do a lot of street photography,and I need a 35mm lens,I am looking at a voiglander,and a leica,or I will not know the diference ?,what about the price did I do good,lens ,camere and case for $739.thank you and please advice.

jorgef2002

Old 02-23-2006   #42
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter

Shouldn't this thread be in the Screw-mount forum now?

Old 04-22-2006   #43
srtiwari
Daktari

For anyone eagerto buy an ABLON....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Old 04-22-2006   #44
Solinar
Analog Preferred

It looks like a keeper.

But, I'll keep my trusty scissors.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear Oly 35RC, 35RD and a XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Bessa II, ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, an Agfa Super Isolette & Record III
Digital a D300 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 04-22-2006   #45
NoTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslack
Shouldn't this thread be in the Screw-mount forum now?
Why? An M2 is M Mount.

Chack out my:

- RFF Gallery
- News Site

Old 04-23-2006   #46
rover

This thread has been resident and stuck in the Leica M forum for a while. I thought it made sense to copy and stick it here in the LTM forum too.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 07-04-2006   #47
atelier7

it's all part of the charm of a barnack... bottom loading, separate viewfinders, no meter, knob winding... i'm almost beginning to wish i had my bessa r instead!

Old 08-03-2006   #48
fraley
Beware of Claws

I found a 15.00 copy of an ablon, it's not a Leica but it works

http://cgi.ebay.com/COPY-of-Leica-AB...QQcmdZViewItem

Poem-O-Rama

Old 09-23-2006   #49
aad
Not so new now.

At the Newprt Boat Show last weekend, I changed film in maybe 1 to 1.5 minutes, no trimming required, using the old thumb through the shutter method (as always). Yes, my SLR is quicker, but not by much.

Old 02-23-2007   #50
Peter_Jones

I have tried 3 methods and found the business card works for me. First time I tried this method I dislodged a chunk of old film - could have been there decades ! I have since had a good look and root about (carefully) and am confident there are no more bits in there. (Touch wood)

Pete

Old 02-23-2007   #51
SteveM(PA)
Poser

I think we should have a little YouTube permalink to some demonstrations of the various methods. I don't have a decent movie camera, nor am I particularly fast at it
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K, Leica IIIf rdst, Nikon S, Sony RX100, OM1, Rebel T3 (with OM glass)
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 02-23-2007   #52
Xmas

The only problem with any of this is

- the 22, 23 or 24 hole dispute, I'm a 22 person
- the credit card, bus card or Zorki case card or finger on plate may cause damage dont do it...
- the knife or scissors will be confiscated when you fly, I use a swiss army penknife

Noel

On loading a Leica IIIf
Old 03-21-2007   #53
East Ridge

On loading a Leica IIIf

umm....I'm the new kid in town; where do I find the second post on Leica Bottom Loading instructions? I have loaded before without trimming the film leader, is that not the best way?

Old 03-22-2007   #54
laptoprob
back to basics

Just back from Valencia (Fallas) with the IIf and CLE. The IIf did most the work. Because we only took hand luggage on the plane: no scissors. So I tried to load a film without trimming it, no problem. So why does it seem to be necessary anyway?

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

Architecture and Photography

Old 03-29-2007   #55
tedwhite

I just bought a IIIf red dial w/self timer yesterday. The guy who sold it to me, a decades long Leica rf owner, demonstrated film loading with a roll of my TriX.

I went right out and shot about 15 frames before I realized the rewind knob wasn't rotating. In his defense, the gentleman is 83 years old and had quite shaky hands.

So I went to the thread on manuals, read the loading portion thoroughly, and got the next roll in properly. I could see the gear teeth had engaged the film properly. I back wound the rewind spool a tad to make sure, then closed up the camera. Rewind knob now rotates when I advance film.

Many thanks to everyone for all the instructions and comments.

My lens on the IIIf is either the cv Color Skopar 35/3.5 or the Canon 50/1.8. Don't have any Leica lenses as yet.

Ted

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 04-06-2007   #56
nagroth

I read a website once dealing with reloading film and the person said to remove the lens before doing anything else. Is this only for precaution to not damage the lens?

Old 04-07-2007   #57
tedwhite

Perhaps, with the lens off, one could reach in and guide the film. But there would then be the risk of curtain damage, I think.

rangefinder forum gallery

Film Trimming Plate
Old 04-18-2007   #58
eia41

Film Trimming Plate

If you live in the UK, contact veteran Leica repairer Malcolm Taylor (see contact details in his Amateur Photographer ads) who will supply you with an excellently made copy- very smooth finish and no sharp edges. He can also supply take-up spools for LTM bodies. Repairs and CLAs of LTM and M bodies, and lenses, are his forte! I bought an M3 from him in the mid 80's which still runs as smoothly as butter.
Regards
eia41

Old 04-23-2007   #59
acolla

Great!!! I just received my Canon IIb and was wondering how the hell I was going to load the film in it, as it is my very first Leica film loading style camera. Thanks a bunch!

Old 06-09-2007   #60
Trawlerman

Many thanks for posting this vital information.

I just got a Leica III and would have just gone ahead and tried to load it with a normal roll of film had I not seen this sticky. As it is, I loaded up my first roll of NPC160 in moments qith the aid and advice that I found here.

Many thanks.

BTW, I just scored an ablon from an eBay seller in the US so in future I will be sure that my film trimming is done correctly.

PENTAX User - MZ-S / Z1 / *ist / P30 / P30t / K1000 / SP1000 / *ist DL2 / K10d
RICOH User - XR500 / KR-10 / KR-10M / XR-P / XR-20sp
LUBITEL 166b & Yashicamat 124-G

FED-2d w/Industar 61
FED-3a w/Industar 26 52/2.8
Zorki-4K w/Jupiter 8 50/2.0
LEICA III (1939) w/ Summar 50/2.0

plus ....... Weston Master II, Weston Master IV and KOPIL CDS light meters

Old 06-09-2007   #61
richard_l

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptoprob
Just back from Valencia (Fallas) with the IIf and CLE. The IIf did most the work. Because we only took hand luggage on the plane: no scissors. So I tried to load a film without trimming it, no problem. So why does it seem to be necessary anyway?
There's a kink (or warp) near the beginning of most rolls of film which may prevent the film from being inserted all the way. If for any reason, the film hangs up on the inside edge of the film gate, there's a problem. Although this is a no-no, I just insert a playing card into the slot where the film goes, then insert the film between the card and the pressure plate, then remove the card.

The 'correct' method is to trim the leader, which provides a sort of ramp which makes the film ride up into the correct position as it is advanced. I don't like to do this if the film is being commercially processed, since it could bother someone who is not used to handling film with such a long leader.

The kink in the film is what causes most misloads with Leica LTM and M cameras. I.e., it prevents the film from being inserted correctly.

Richard

Old 07-04-2007   #62
hou baloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
I went right out and shot about 15 frames before I realized the rewind knob wasn't rotating.
Ted
Irrespective of the loading technique or even of the camera, I always tension the rewind knob/crank before winding up to frame 1 and watch it turn to make sure the film is engaged on the takeup, a lesson I learned from once taking 45 frames on a 20-exposure roll

Old 07-04-2007   #63
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

Hou Baloo, I do the same. To make it easier, I wind up the film in the cassette before loading.
Flickr gallery

Old 07-10-2007   #64
350D_user
B+W film devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou baloo
Irrespective of the loading technique or even of the camera, I always tension the rewind knob/crank before winding up to frame 1 and watch it turn to make sure the film is engaged on the takeup, a lesson I learned from once taking 45 frames on a 20-exposure roll
If the sprockets miss the holes though, winding the film too tightly will cause framing issues.

... the voice of experience!

Cameras currently in use: 1975 Kiev-4, 1938 Leica Standard, 1946/47 Leica IIIc
Lenses currently in use: Jupiter-8, Industar-22 (KMZ and KOMZ), 1937 Elmar 3.5cm
Weblog: In both worlds
Galleries: RFF : Monochrome : * of my best

Old 09-22-2007   #65
cmedin

Thanks for this thread. I just loaded my IIf with what appears to be successful results (the rewind knob turning). Trimmed 22 holes back, used the rewind knob to tighten the cassette up, put the bottom plate on and advanced two frames, knob was turning just fine. Of course the real test will be whether I get any pictures out of it...

Old 09-23-2007   #66
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Timely thread! I often wondered why we bother with cameras that needs this much effort to load. But on a camera show recently, I handled a IIc. What a smooth piece of machinery. So I'm willing to give it a try.

If the time I spend shooting with these bottom loaders is enjoyable plus the result is good to excellent, I'll keep using them.

Now I just need to find one I can justify buying

Old 09-23-2007   #67
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_l
I don't like to do this if the film is being commercially processed, since it could bother someone who is not used to handling film with such a long leader.
Film lengths are standardised for automatic processing. I used to use an automatic Mafina processor at home where 135 film was spooled diagonally on a drum about 40 cm in diameter. If the film length wasn't right, the film didn't fit. One film that I had problems with was Fomapan 100, which is slightly longer because its predecessor film used to be shipped with a Leica leader. Foma just changed the leader and kept the length. I regularly had problems developing Fomapan 100 because it didn't fit on the drum. In the end I had to trim the film constantly by hand before spooling it on the machine.

Old 09-23-2007   #68
ibrando
Photographer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox

If the time I spend shooting with these bottom loaders is enjoyable plus the result is good to excellent, I'll keep using them.

Now I just need to find one I can justify buying
I suggest an M4-2, I just recently acquired one and it's much easier to load than the M3 I tried long ago.

Cheers,
B.
Yashica Electro35 GTN
Ricoh GR-Digital
Nikon D40x with 50/1.4D Nikkor

Out of my league but still wishing for:
M6 Classic - M8 - 35mm Summilux - 50mm Summilux
Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8G

My Flickr | My Photoblog

Old 10-06-2007   #69
Paul C. Perkins, MD
Perk11350

In fact - I find loading my M-2 far easier than the M-4. On more than one occasion I've had to make multiple attempts to get the film to positively engage on that silly-*ss triple sproket. I have the manual - and it yields no clever insight on how this can be accomplished.

Paul

Old 10-06-2007   #70
Solinar
Analog Preferred

On my M3, I found that trimming the leader as you would for a bottom loader makes loading much easier. Back in the 1950's 35mm film had longer leaders than what we're using today.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear Oly 35RC, 35RD and a XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Bessa II, ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, an Agfa Super Isolette & Record III
Digital a D300 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 10-07-2007   #71
landsknechte

Out of curiosity, were the long leaders universal originally, or are our modern shorter leaders just the one style that caught on?

BTW, the best real world test to see if you've mastered this process it to shoot HIE.
1940 Фэд-НКВД
1946 Leica IIIc to IIIf conversion
1957 Зоркий-C

Last edited by landsknechte : 10-07-2007 at 20:38.

Old 10-07-2007   #72
PHOTOEIL

Step #2 is not needed with a M5, just slide in the straight film-end, no cutting, just to make you a little jealous...

----------------------
M5, the best outcast ever made (but not the only one it seems)

Old 10-17-2007   #73
Vince Lupo

No need to trim the film leader to load a Leica TM. Here's how I do it, for anyone who's interested: Set the main shutter dial on 1/20 (if it's a short-bodied), and then set the slow speed dial to 'T'. Next, trip the shutter to open it. Remove the lens. Remove the bottom plate. Feed the film tongue onto the takeup spool, then guide the film down the slot and into position (if the edge of the film gets caught by the edge of the shutter opening, just push it in with your finger). Rewind the film slowly until the tension is taken up. Close the shutter by turning the slow speed dial. Replace the bottom and the lens. Advance the film and you're golden. I've been doing it this way for 20 years - even with a MOOLY motor and a transmission arm. The only issue is that if you're on the move you have to juggle a lens, bottom plate and the film. But, I just shot 20 rolls in Europe using a black Leica III, and a IIIa with a MOOLY and it didn't pose a problem. So put your scissors away!

Old 12-04-2007   #74
rtphotos

Thank you, doubs43 for posting your instructions and the photos! I just received a Leica IIf from Igor Reznik and loaded the film correctly on my first try.

As one with 3 thumbs and who took hours to load his first roll of bl&wh film on a spiral, I am relieved.

Now off to test this wonderful looking camera (w/summitar and sbooi) with correctly loaded film!

all the best,
rt

Old 12-30-2007   #75
ray*j*gun

I have had mu tiny Swiss Army Knife also taken from me by the airlines so heads up!!

Old 02-23-2008   #76
[o] Marc

Thanks for this excellent set of instructions - I believe I successfully applied them to loading my newly received IIIa.

Old 03-29-2008   #77
rtphotos

Hey, where did doubs43 instructive pictures go?!

Somebody bring them back!
rt

Old 07-16-2008   #78
Bill58
Native Texan

Is there a live link to the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
There has been so many posts by people who find loading a bottom-loading Leica, FED etc. a chore that I've done a very quick down & dirty "How To" in pictures. I hope this will take the "mystery" out of stuffing film in the bottom of those cameras!

There are eight pictures so this will be done in two separate posts.

Picture One: You need the film, a pair of sissors and the camera.

Picture Two: Pull about 3 1/2 inches of film from the cassette. Four sprocket holes from the cassette, begin your cut and try to approximate what you see here. I add the little snips on the end to sort of round the leader but it's not necessary.

Picture Three: Remove the bottom of the camera body and remove the take-up spool.

Picture Four: Insert the leader under the flat spring of the take-up spool as shown. Note that the film is up against the flange of the spool at the top.

Picture Five: A closer view of the film in the take-up spool.

Now go to the second post for the remainder of the pictures and instructions.

Old 07-16-2008   #79
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtphotos View Post
Hey, where did doubs43 instructive pictures go?!
Probably went the way of the dodo with the server change and/or recent changes in how long gallery pictures survive (which is, incidentally, why the latter was a fundamentally bad idea as it was proposed).

Lesson: Don't link to RFF gallery pictures if you want the images to persist.

The best idea is probably to attach images to the post itself as file attachments. Then either link to them normally using [IМG]http://......[/IМG] tags, or include them in the posting itself using [АTTACH]nnnnn[/АTTACH] tags, where nnnnn is the number of the attachment (visible from the attachment URL).

Last edited by rxmd : 05-21-2011 at 01:52.

Old 07-18-2008   #80
rtphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Probably went the way of the dodo with the server change and/or recent changes in how long gallery pictures survive (which is, incidentally, why the latter was a fundamentally bad idea as it was proposed).
That is a terrible shame!
thanks, Phillip.

rt