Color head LED replacement
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
elerion

Color head LED replacement

I reciently replaced my enlarger's color head light to a 12V 6W 4000ēK LED.

The original light was a 12V 100W halogen which was a little bit warmer (probably near 3400ēK).

As expected, the filtrations changed towards somekind of red dominant (the prints come out warmer with the new cooler light).

Is it just a matter of modifying the filtrations, so once I nail them, I can keep on using LED light? or will I face problems?
After my first 12 test, I still didn't get the right balance.

Thanks!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
john_s

Just an armchair contemplation, not based on any experience: The incandescent light has a continuous spectrum, obviously with some bias towards red. The LED spectrum might be somewhat discontinuous as it (as far as I know) is composed of distinct narrow(ish) colours that together look "white" to our sight. The emulsion of your colour paper is also made up of three(I think) different coloured emulsions each with its somewhat narrow spectral sensitivity. Maybe if the colours that make up the LED "white" don't line up well with the three colours of the paper emulsion then could it cause anomalies with the filtration? I don't know, just musing.