Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Choosing a camera for vacation
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
kotokot21

Choosing a camera for vacation

I'm planning a trip to Tuscany and Paris and I don't want to take a lot of cameras and lenses, but it's a pain to choose. I want to be as light as possible, while having more than one focal length. I've decided that I'll definitely take my OM-2n with only one lens: Zuiko 28mm 3.5

But, as for the RFs, I'm choosing between Zorki 1 and FED 2, both in very good state, after CLA. And then the lens question: I love my Jupiter-8, but with Industar-50, the camera's much more pocketable. I probably won't take my J-12 because Zuiko would fulfill my need for a wide angle, but I want take J-11 + turret finder to shoot some views (I know what I wanna shoot with a telelens).

On one hand, the Zorki is smaller and lighter, more pocketable and I love it. On another hand there's the FED-2 with much larger RF base, perfect for shooting with J-11. I don't really care about the combined or separate rf/vf, I don't care much about bottom or back loading. And I can't decide.

Btw, I never hang cameras on my neck, I use only wrist straps.

flickr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Zuiko 28 for landscape and streets.
Zorki with I-50 for portrait and stealthy shots.

I won't take the J-11.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
David Hughes

That's what I'd do too.

Regards, David

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
wolves3012

It's true that the FED 2 has a longer base-length RF but that's not the whole story. What actually matters is the *effective* base-length, which is the optical magnification times the physical base-length. From some estimates and calculations I did years back, most of the FSU RFs have approximately the same EBL, only the Kievs come out better. Of course, the FED 2 (and Zorki 5 & 6) has the slight advantage, over the other FEDs and Zorkis, of not compounding mechanical error with optical magnification. FWIW, I have used a Jupiter 11 on a Zorki 1 and got perfectly acceptable results.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5, Z1
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."- Benjamin Franklin

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Scrambler

My thoughts too, fwiw. The Zorki has 1.5 magnification, the FED about 0.5. If size matters (small size, in this case) then the Zorki is your best bet, and the collapsible makes it even more pocketable.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
michaelwj
----------------

My 2c
Why not just take an OM 50mm (or 85mm)? Do you really need two different cameras? And how exactly do two cameras work on wrist straps?
Have a good trip whatever you take!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
02Pilot
Malcontent

Much depends on how you work, but I would argue that the easiest two camera setup would be to take the OM with the 28 and a longer lens (I don't know what you have available), and the Zorki with the collapsible 50. This eliminates the need for the separate finder and gives you a truly pocketable backup.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
My 2c
And how exactly do two cameras work on wrist straps?
A camera in each hand?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
A camera in each hand?

"Dual Wielding" perk unlocked.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
kotokot21

Hahaha, no I'm not that tough yet I mean the macedonian-style shooting)))) Just one camera in hand, another in a shoulder bag.

Why not just an OM? I'd like to have 2 different films at once and I've just started an OM system and I haven't bought any other Zuiko lenses yet. And the reason I've bought it (besides that it's very nice in hands) I don't like Orion-15 but I want a good wideangle, and an OM-2n + Zuiko 28/3.5 had cost me less than a single Orion. Plus the Orion is too slow for street, at least in Moscow in winter.

Thanks guys, I suppose the Zorki has more pros than cons for such a trip.

flickr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I googled J-11. Wow, you are going to take three cameras!
Collapsible lenses works on Zorki, but not always on FED-2. Back side of the focus tab stops by the FED-2 body due to less height of the lens mount flange.
Collapsible lens and smaller body will compensate J-11 size and weight.

I used to have OM. Zuiko 28 3.5, small lens. Get 50 1.4 for this trip as well. This lens will give you chance to take pictures in the evenings and indoors. It is also small lens.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
kotokot21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I googled J-11. Wow, you are going to take three cameras!
Collapsible lenses works on Zorki, but not always on FED-2. Back side of the focus tab stops by the FED-2 body due to less height of the lens mount flange.
Collapsible lens and smaller body will compensate J-11 size and weight.

I used to have OM. Zuiko 28 3.5, small lens. Get 50 1.4 for this trip as well. This lens will give you chance to take pictures in the evenings and indoors. It is also small lens.
No, I wanna take just two cameras, that's the point of this thread. I was choosing between Z1 and FED-2 for a comapct rf one. Thanks for advice about 1.4, there's only one now in Moscow available for pick-up, and it's a non MC version, with serial below 1,100,000; I've heard it's better to avoid these. If I'd order a good one on Ebay, most probably it won't arrive in time. But there's a nice MC 1.8, just a half stop slower. Is it good compromise or should better wait till find a good 1.4? From what I've seen on Flickr, their rendering looks same.

flickr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
oltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotokot21 View Post
Hahaha, no I'm not that tough yet I mean the macedonian-style shooting)))) Just one camera in hand, another in a shoulder bag.

Why not just an OM? I'd like to have 2 different films at once and I've just started an OM system and I haven't bought any other Zuiko lenses yet. And the reason I've bought it (besides that it's very nice in hands) I don't like Orion-15 but I want a good wideangle, and an OM-2n + Zuiko 28/3.5 had cost me less than a single Orion. Plus the Orion is too slow for street, at least in Moscow in winter.

Thanks guys, I suppose the Zorki has more pros than cons for such a trip.
And the metering is the best in the industry too.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotokot21 View Post
No, I wanna take just two cameras, that's the point of this thread. I was choosing between Z1 and FED-2 for a comapct rf one. Thanks for advice about 1.4, there's only one now in Moscow available for pick-up, and it's a non MC version, with serial below 1,100,000; I've heard it's better to avoid these. If I'd order a good one on Ebay, most probably it won't arrive in time. But there's a nice MC 1.8, just a half stop slower. Is it good compromise or should better wait till find a good 1.4? From what I've seen on Flickr, their rendering looks same.
J-11 is your third camera by its weigh and size.

50 1.8 is next to yours J-8 which as compact as Zuiko. J8 is less sharp, but has more aperture blades.
I used 50 1.8 OM.Zuiko as well and it is fine lens, the only bad part is nuts like aperture blades shapes in bokeh.

Wide open.

Nuts in bokeh.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
David Hughes

Hi,

The Olympus standard 50mm f/1.8 lens is perfectly acceptable lens in every way and a lot cheaper than the faster ones. I've both and can speak from experience...

Regards, David

PS And I've a Zorki with the Industar 50 fitted, it's another pleasant camera and lens.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

There was a special version of the FED 50 f3.5 lens for the FED 2. It had a different infinity latch that didn't hit the body.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
kotokot21

Ko.Fe, David that's great, I think I'll get one. I might also sell the Pentacon MC 50 1.8 cause I don't have any M42 cameras anymore.

Dez I've modified my FED-2: removed the damaged vulcanite and applied new leather. The little part of leather near the mount is missing, so it allows any ltm lens to be used, no problems with I-22, I-50, no problems with J-12 as well.

flickr