Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

good time to buy an iPad pro?
Old 02-24-2017   #1
back alley
IMAGES

good time to buy an iPad pro?

i heard that apple will announce newer versions this march...is waiting a better idea? better machines...more money?

anyone using an iPad pro now?
what do you think of it?

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 02-24-2017   #2
Robert Ades

I love my iPad Pro. If a new one is due, I suggest you wait. Current units become cheaper, new machines cost the same as old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i heard that apple will announce newer versions this march...is waiting a better idea? better machines...more money?

anyone using an iPad pro now?
what do you think of it?

Old 02-24-2017   #3
majid
Fazal Majid

Yes, wait until immediately after the new model(s) are introduced, then wait a little more for them to be in stock at B&H.

Old 02-25-2017   #4
michaelwj
----------------

Then the new one will only be 6 months away so you might as well wait again

In all seriousness, if the current model does what you want at a price that's acceptable, then get one. There will always be a rumour that a better model is just around the corner.

To put is another way, what does the yet to be released model have that you want? If it's not a specific thing, like a port, then you will wait forever. But we're talking about Apple, so it's a sure bet there won't be any more ports!!

Old 02-25-2017   #5
x-ray

Check Apple and on line for refurbished units. They look and function like new and all the bugs have been worked out. I buy all of my Apple equipment as referbs. My wife and I both have Mac Pro towers and bought her 17" Mac Pro as a referb. Also just recently bought a iPad mini referb from Walmart. You can save a lot. Look at the Apple website for referbs.

Old 02-25-2017   #6
Bill Clark

I use my iPad mini the most for everday www viewing. It does what I need and I can easily hold it with one hand! Nice retina display and touch screen.

I wish it had at least one USB plug. I do have a work around but dislike when I have to use it!

Some are priced pretty good now:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...352+3974362831

This is the model I use:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mini_with.html

Old 02-25-2017   #7
damonsong

Here is a good place to check price:

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Old 02-25-2017   #8
mabelsound

I'm using the 12.9 and love it. But the display on its replacement will be much improved, and better for viewing photos. Wait a few months!

Old 02-25-2017   #9
back alley
IMAGES

there will always be improvements...i'm waiting for the next xe body from fuji already...
i bought an iPad pro 12.9 this morning.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-25-2017   #10
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Curious about this... why do you want one? I have an old one, but my son uses it to watch videos and play some games. I sometimes stream videos on it. Do you edit photos on it? What exactly is it good for?

Not malicious, just sincerely and honestly curious. Thanks!

And, BTW, joe, check Amazon as well for Apple products. Refurbs and new show up often!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 02-25-2017   #11
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Quote:
i bought an iPad pro 12.9 this morning.
Well... came late to the advise party but I'm glad. Where did you purchase it from?

Old 02-25-2017   #12
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
Well... came late to the advise party but I'm glad. Where did you purchase it from?
i will use it for 2 things mostly...surfing the net while i watch tv and photo editing.
my iPad mini is starting to slow down, reacts slower to my finger's touch and i get frustrated at times with it's size (and my eyesight).
it fits perfectly in my tenba bag so can shoot and edit in the coffee shop later and while on holidays.
i bought it from the apple store in town...quick & easy and it's home and set up already.
i had an original i pad and gave it to a friend when her computer died...so i am somewhat familiar with the bigger size.
i also bought the pen and keyboard...the keyboard will be nicer than the touch one on the mini.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-25-2017   #13
mabelsound

I edit student manuscripts on mine with the Apple Pencil, among other things. It is a terrific device. Hope you like it!

Old 02-25-2017   #14
gavinlg

Get a microsoft surface pro 4 instead. I find ipads incredibly limited - the surface is the same size buy has full computing power. I use mine as my primary editing machine running full photoshop and lightroom. Editing using the stylus has meant I will never go back to a non touch screen computer. Windows 10 is gorgeous and very stable, and I've only used apple machines for the last 10 years.

Old 02-25-2017   #15
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The iPad Pro has essentially replaced using a laptop for me. I find it far easier to read manuals and books with it than a laptop or desktop too.

My desktop system is now mostly dedicated to bookkeeping and image processing, my laptop mostly is set up for when I need to work with a camera in tethered operations, and my iPads do everything else. I have three

- mini 3 that I use for running the home entertainment system and putting together the grocery lists, managing recipes, etc.

- Pro 12.3 for writing, watching movies, drawing, etc.

- Pro 9.7 for everything with more portability. It fits into my camera bags.

The iPads integrate perfectly with my macOS, iPhone, Appletv, and Apple Watch systems. Everything shares all the data as appropriate to their function. It's a great, integrated system.

My favorite computers these days... :-)

G

Old 02-25-2017   #16
back alley
IMAGES

i love the screen...it's like my eyes have been rejuvenated....
the keyboard drives me crazy, i'm too much of a spazz to figure out the system.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-25-2017   #17
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Methinks I've been missing a lot from letting my son use the iPad at home.

More questions: how do you download photographs to it if it doesn't have a USB port? At least I don't think mine has one... it does have an Apple connector leading to a USB port, but that won't connect it to my Nikon D700.

Old 02-25-2017   #18
back alley
IMAGES

apple sells an accessory that connect to the thunder port and has an sd card holder at the other end.
also if you have a camera with wireless it can happen magically though i have no idea how to do that.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-25-2017   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
i love the screen...it's like my eyes have been rejuvenated....
the keyboard drives me crazy, i'm too much of a spazz to figure out the system.
Do you mean the soft keyboard or the keyboard cover? I use the keyboard cover most of the time: it's an excellent, real keyboard for me.

G

Old 02-25-2017   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Methinks I've been missing a lot from letting my son use the iPad at home.

More questions: how do you download photographs to it if it doesn't have a USB port? At least I don't think mine has one... it does have an Apple connector leading to a USB port, but that won't connect it to my Nikon D700.
IIRC, the D700 uses CF cards. You can use the Lightning to USB Adapter and either plug the camera into it directly or use a CF card reader with it. There are also CF card readers that have a Lightning interface designed for the iPad. This will pull both JPEG and raw files over into the iPad. For cameras with SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, there is the Lightning to SD Card Adapter, essentially a card reader, that lets you pull JPEGs and raws over.

A good number of cameras have WiFi in them now, but the D700 does not; it's a little too old for that. My Leica SL supports WiFi (as does the Q and the M10). You can set the camera into photo server mode and access it over a network or as an independent hot spot with a web browser to pull over JPEGs. Leica also supplies the Leica SL app that allows me to control the camera in a wireless tethered mode and can retrieve JPEGs from the camera to the iPad. Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon, Canon I know all have camera apps for the iPad as well to work with their WiFi equipped cameras.

There are tons of photo connection, control, and editing solutions for the iPad if you start looking around the App Store or on the web. People have used these computers to*connect and control nearly any kind of device on the market.

G

Old 02-25-2017   #21
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Do you mean the soft keyboard or the keyboard cover? I use the keyboard cover most of the time: it's an excellent, real keyboard for me.

G
the keyboard cover...i turn all thumbs with it.
works great when i can make it stay up.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-26-2017   #22
willie_901

Quote:
The iPad Pro has essentially replaced using a laptop for me. I find it far easier to read manuals and books with it than a laptop or desktop too.

My desktop system is now mostly dedicated to bookkeeping and image processing, my laptop mostly is set up for when I need to work with a camera in tethered operations, and my iPads do everything else. I have three

- mini 3 that I use for running the home entertainment system and putting together the grocery lists, managing recipes, etc.

- Pro 12.3 for writing, watching movies, drawing, etc.

- Pro 9.7 for everything with more portability. It fits into my camera bags.

The iPads integrate perfectly with my macOS, iPhone, Appletv, and Apple Watch systems. Everything shares all the data as appropriate to their function. It's a great, integrated system.

My favorite computers these days... :-)

G
I've been thinking about Macbook Air vs iPad Pro. When using a keyboard with an iPad Pro can you scroll without reaching up and swiping the display?

My thinking is I find Macbook Air trackpad to be very convenient and I'm not sure swiping is an effective way to scroll. But maybe the difference is simple: one learns to use a finger instead a thumb.

By the way, I too use iOS just to control a home theatre system(s). Either a repurposed iPhone 6 or iPad 3 act as remotes for Viveza and Samsung TVs, DirectTV (remote control and streaming), Yamaha Home theatre receiver, Apple and Amazon TVs and occasionally stream via ChromeCast. Instead of juggling numerous OEM remotes I can just swipe between open Apps... and no more lost remote controls (thanks to Find My iPhone). WiFi connectivity means I can even be in different rooms or outdoors. I also use an original iPad with the audio, line-in Apple dock as a virtual FM radio to stream audio to an old-school stereo system in my office.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-26-2017   #23
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
the keyboard cover...i turn all thumbs with it.
works great when i can make it stay up.
"make it stay up" ...? I don't know what you mean.

The keyboard in the cover is very thin and the key have a very short action, also if you're on the 9.7 inch version they are necessarily reduced in size and a little cramped. Just a bit of practice building the muscle coordination and control should solve the clumsiness. I've been typing on it for six or seven months at least now, and can type nearly as fast and consistently as I can on my full-size desktop keyboard now.

G

Old 02-26-2017   #24
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I've been thinking about Macbook Air vs iPad Pro. When using a keyboard with an iPad Pro can you scroll without reaching up and swiping the display?

My thinking is I find Macbook Air trackpad to be very convenient and I'm not sure swiping is an effective way to scroll. But maybe the difference is simple: one learns to use a finger instead a thumb. ...
It depends on what you're trying to scroll ... scrolling within an app's context is under the app's control and can be assigned to keyboard actions by the app designer, but the overall system operations are iOS touch-centric. Most apps are designed with the iOS touch-centric model in mind because not everyone has a hard keyboard, and frankly because most touch devices need a different model to work best. (Note that I don't think they've gotten every detail exactly right in either at this point in time, there's always more work to be done... )

If you use both macOS and iOS interchangeably as I do, there are some interesting moments when you might reach for a standard macOS keyboard shortcut on the iPad but it isn't supported and you have to use the screen and your finger. E.g.: sometimes and for some things it's easier to scroll by swiping the screen and other times I so want a page up/page down keyboard pair... And vice versa when you're working on the MacBook Air and you reach for the screen to do something but have to use the trackpad or keyboard instead. Over time, accommodation happens: I hardly notice them any more. There are definitely some things that the touch-screen model is more efficient/convenient for, and others where the keyboard/trackpad gesture model is more efficient/convenient. Those moments show the different nature of a touch pad/phone vs a keyboard-display centric computer coming into play. It's one of the things that points to why running a desktop OS on a touch device isn't the best way to conceive of a touch device UI, and melding the two is really quite difficult in several ways.

Fun stuff. I've gotten so comfortable with both working together now it's mostly 'best of all worlds' when I have them sitting on the desk side by side.

G

Old 02-26-2017   #25
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
"make it stay up" ...? I don't know what you mean.

The keyboard in the cover is very thin and the key have a very short action, also if you're on the 9.7 inch version they are necessarily reduced in size and a little cramped. Just a bit of practice building the muscle coordination and control should solve the clumsiness. I've been typing on it for six or seven months at least now, and can type nearly as fast and consistently as I can on my full-size desktop keyboard now.

G
The keyboard works great...i like it.
I was having trouble getting the triangle to form to keep the screen up and then having trouble to get the cover part of it to cover the screen.
I seem to be managing fine this morning though.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-26-2017   #26
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Looks like it's high time to start looking for a card reader to connect to the iPad I have. I would use it when I travel, mostly to download photographs, and then to read e-mail and stay connected or do other things while traveling. It's a lot smaller than my laptop and now that I got a spiffy leather case it's making me rethink its use.

Now... I must figure out the memory size. I think mine is small, so I'll have to travel with an additional portable drive. When it comes to that... do you operate editing programs from the drive or your iPad?

Thanks a BIG lot!

Old 02-26-2017   #27
mabelsound

Regarding the keyboard...I use the Apple bluetooth "Magic" keyboard, which is the same kind of keys as on the new MacBook Pros...along with this handy thing, the Canopy, that acts as both a protective sheath and a stand.

https://www.studioneat.com/products/canopy

Mostly, though, I use the Pencil.

Old 02-26-2017   #28
BillBingham2

I'm waiting for a better camera on the larger of the two. I fondled the large one the other day and fell in lust.

Wait till the announcement and by refurb from Apple (no where else). Prices will drop odds are pretty quickly.

B2(;->

Old 02-26-2017   #29
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Looks like it's high time to start looking for a card reader to connect to the iPad I have. I would use it when I travel, mostly to download photographs, and then to read e-mail and stay connected or do other things while traveling. It's a lot smaller than my laptop and now that I got a spiffy leather case it's making me rethink its use.

Now... I must figure out the memory size. I think mine is small, so I'll have to travel with an additional portable drive. When it comes to that... do you operate editing programs from the drive or your iPad?

Thanks a BIG lot!
iPad apps always work from the internal storage. If your iPad is "small" (that is, 16G) the right thing to do is to sell it and buy one with more storage. I recommend the largest capacity if you want to do photography with it. 32G is a bit thin still, 64/128/256G are the way to go.

External drives that work with the iPad are always just accessory storage. They're all third party devices.

You can get the storage capacity by opening Settings and going to General > About.