Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Lens protection
Old 02-13-2017   #1
roscoetuff

Lens protection

I'm been a user of lens cases, and neoprene lens bags. Now looking at Op/Tech lens wraps and Tenbo's version as well. Anyone out there in Range Finder Land using these wraps with success? Prospect of protection but less bulk is offset by the prospect that unwrapping could roll a lens right off the table and on to the proverbial floor... in a moment of "egad!!! oops!" I don't need.

Thoughts? Opinions? Shrugs? Experience?

Leica M4-2 (B&W) and Sony A7RII (Color) with (mostly) Zeiss Glass

Old 02-13-2017   #2
Pentode

Two weeks ago I came pretty close to rolling my Kodak Retina IIa onto a concrete walkway. I caught it, but it definitely gave me a scare.

Despite that, I still like those wraps. I wish they were more readily available in smaller sizes, though. All the ones I've seen are a little big for a whole RF camera, let alone an RF lens.

Old 02-13-2017   #3
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I have one camera bag instead of wraps. It holds two cameras with lenses attached to cameras. In separate pockets. I'm using regular camera neck strap. If camera goes out of the bag, strap goes on my neck or around my hand (watch Winogrand, Meyerowitz videos). It is best protection I ever have. I quit from changing lenses on the street. I only change them indoors and near by flat surface. Table or else.
HCB was using three lenses and two M cameras. He kept unused items (one camera and two lenses) in the pocket and in very small bag.

Old 02-13-2017   #4
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

The early Fuji lenses came with wraps, I didn't like them, thought they were awkward to use. I prefer leather drawstring bags and then neoprene bags.

Old 02-13-2017   #5
roscoetuff

Darth: I still have one of the more gargantuan Fuji wraps from one of the honking big Fuji zooms that sent me running from the whole Fuji idea. Yep. Didn't like those things either.

Kind of why I wonder: Usually I get something like an Lowepro Lens Case... and they do a bang up job, but they are space hogs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Case_8_x.html

With the Zeiss ZM and Lecia M mount lenses as small as they are, just curious what others do. THanks!

Leica M4-2 (B&W) and Sony A7RII (Color) with (mostly) Zeiss Glass

Old 02-13-2017   #6
ellisson

I've use the OPTec and other small soft neoprene cases for one lens when carrying a second one in the same compartment of a small camera bag and or for storage off-camera. Fine for keeping lenses from bouncing against each other, but they would not much help for drops on hard surfaces. Wraps could serve the same purpose, but I prefer the neoprene cases. OPTec and some other makers have smaller sizes suitable for RF lenses.

Old 02-13-2017   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
I'm been a user of lens cases, and neoprene lens bags. Now looking at Op/Tech lens wraps and Tenbo's version as well. Anyone out there in Range Finder Land using these wraps with success? Prospect of protection but less bulk is offset by the prospect that unwrapping could roll a lens right off the table and on to the proverbial floor... in a moment of "egad!!! oops!" I don't need.

Thoughts? Opinions? Shrugs? Experience?
I've used Domke Wraps for years to protect lenses in my bag when I didn't have a good lens case. They work very well.

G

Old 02-14-2017   #8
dct

I also use wraps (Tenba) for extra lenses I carry. But I reduced the amount of lenses I'm moving around. Manual M lenses maximum three (one is on the body). For my digital Fujis maximum two (typically a zoom on the body and a prime in the wrap).