Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Old 02-04-2017   #41
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Why people Photograph by Robert Adams (to me) has a tone of voice that matches the down to earth, truthful observations he shares: http://www.camramirez.com/pdf/P1_Why...Photograph.pdf

Old 02-04-2017   #42
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusxusfanatic View Post
I mean. should I even buy Elliott Erwitt's Snaps as my first book? Does buying book inspire you more than looking at then online?
Yes. It is more enjoyable and you have access whenever you want. (Kindle is good though)

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 02-06-2017   #43
giganova

Once you get into the groove, buying photography books can be an expensive endeavor! Will be much cheaper to go to libraries!

I regularly go to the National Gallery (maybe once a week during lunch break). They have an amazing collection of first-edition photography books I could never afford, plus an extremely well stocked book store.

What book do you guys recommend?
Old 02-07-2017   #44
JChrome
Street Worker

What book do you guys recommend?

I go to a used bookstore for photography books often and recently picked this up:

The Suffering of Light was recommended earlier but it is now one of my favorite collections of images. I've gotten loads of inspiration from it.

I recommend used book stores as the books are less expensive and you get to dig through many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-07-2017   #45
grouchos_tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
I've go to a used bookstore for photography books
A used book store dedicated to photography! I'd be lucky to find ANY book shop to stock photographers monographs

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 02-07-2017   #46
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchos_tash View Post
A used book store dedicated to photography! I'd be lucky to find ANY book shop to stock photographers monographs
That is the truth!! NYC had one of the best used photo book stores in the world for many years, A Photographer's Place in SOHO, now it feels like it has been gone forever.

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/ph...Eg6ZpViEDwT.97

Harvey Zucker found me such treasures!

Old 02-07-2017   #47
brennanphotoguy

There's still Dashwood books here and Strand always has a great photo section. There's a place on Bedford near the L train that usually has some good stuff too.

Old 02-07-2017   #48
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchos_tash View Post

I wish there was a place dedicated to photography!

East village books and record is a great place for photo books. I also search through Housingworks on Crosby and Houston but the selection isn't as good as the former.

Clic Gallery in Soho has plenty of photography books but sells other wares too.

Back to the OP, I would also recommend "Ghost in the Shell: Photography and the Human Soul". It outlines some fascinating history about photography and it's relationship to the zeitgeist of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk