Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Dev very old exposed 120
Old 01-31-2017   #1
BobBill

Dev very old exposed 120

My photo-mom passed couple years ago...I inherited her 620 and 120 exposed BW Kodak roll film some 12 rolls, ...no idea of anything, save BW and approximate exposure dates say 1936 through 1948. Were in dresser drawer.

Any hints as to developer, time etc. I have Ilford, HC 110, maybe some D76 and can of Rodinal and mixed Altra.

Simple is usually best in the beginning, and always later.

Old 01-31-2017   #2
x-ray

If it's Kodak I'd guess its Verichrome (ortho). Verichrome originally was an ortho film until the late 50's. I believe it was ASA64 at the time.

D76 should work fine. Unfortunately I don't have any data. You can research a little or try one roll as though it is Verichrome Pan. There could be a difference in time though.

Old 01-31-2017   #3
x-ray

I found some data for Verichrome (ortho) which was made prior to 1956. In 1956 it changed to panchromatic. When I was a kid learning to process in the 50's I shot Verichrome and ran it under a RED (not orange or yellow) safelight. Red was safe because it was color blind to red.

The data I found was 17 minutes in straight D76 at 68 degrees f. If you have a red darkroom bulb you can do it by inspection if you know what to look for on the film. If not bony bother because it takes experience to do it correctly.

If you can find Kodak Anti-Fog 1 use one tablet in the developer. Benzotriazol or Edwal Orthozite are essentially the same. With or without you're going to have very dense fogged neg.

This is assuming its Verichrome ortho.

Old 01-31-2017   #4
sreed2006

Probably the easiest/safest is Rodinal 1:100 1 hour stand development. I've used that on old color film and obtained usable results.

For other ideas, see this website on "found film." http://westfordcomp.com/updated/found.htm

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 01-31-2017   #5
charjohncarter

Gene W or M on Photo Net recommends HC-110 for 'found film' he says it is the best to reduce fog. You can look for him on the Internet where you will find lots of information on developing these films.

His link is above.