Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 01-19-2017   #41
jsrockit

I think it would be hard to expect Fuji to implement something like the Leica Q's MF and still keep it at $1299. Also, people tend to compare cameras that are nothing like the X100 to it. The bottom line is that the X100F is unique at its price point whether one finds it useful or not.

Old 01-19-2017   #42
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think it would be hard to expect Fuji to implement something like the Leica Q's MF and still keep it at $1299. Also, people tend to compare cameras that are nothing like the X100 to it. The bottom line is that the X100F is unique at its price point whether one finds it useful or not.
Leica has lens with hard stops at X, which isn't far away in pricing from $1299. I think, I have seen user added focus lever on it here, on RFF.

Fuji already has 23mm lens with focus scale and DoF scale https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...m_f_1_4_r.html. All they have to do is to implement it on slower 23 much less expensive lens which X100 series have.

With lens like this and something like focus lever of ZM lenses I would pay for it same price as Leica wants for X. Because X is mediocre camera with great lens. But without lens like this, x100f is not worth of $1299 to me.

Old 01-19-2017   #43
johnwolf

Ko.Fe., it's not the tab that's the issue. It's the focus-by-wire tecnology. There would be no mechanical coupling between the tab location and lens element location. So the same physical point on the lens barrel could correspond to multiple focus distances.

John

Old 01-19-2017   #44
f16sunshine

Do I understand correctly that the focus ring can now be assigned to other functions?
Or is there another ring ?

Quote:
The lens barrel features the Control Ring in addition to the Aperture Ring. Settings that are frequently used in each of the shooting modes are automatically assigned to the Control Ring. Rotate the Control Ring to quickly change various settings. Functions to be assigned to the Ring may be adjusted by pressing the built-in Control Ring Settings button into Viewfinder selector at the front of the camera body. Assign any function without any restrictions, such as ISO sensitivity and Film Simulation.

Old 01-19-2017   #45
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Leica has lens with hard stops at X, which isn't far away in pricing from $1299. I think, I have seen user added focus lever on it here, on RFF.
The X series doesn't even have a focus ring. In regards to the rest of it, johnwolf explained why Fuji cannot do what you want cheaply.

Old 01-19-2017   #46
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Do'h, he did not.... Fuji 23mm 1.4 lens comes with focus scale and DoF marks. I don't know how 23 1.4 Fuji made, but it has what I want from X100 23mm lens and at max of f2 it is not expensive to make as f1.4 lens. Leica X camera lens is focus by wire, but has focus stops.

Old 01-19-2017   #47
olakiril

Its not the Fly-by-wire coupling so much, which can be quite fast depending on the implementation, but the fact that there are no hard stops and distance indicators on the lens itself. So quickly checking/changing your focus can only be done while looking through the viewfinder/LCD and that is against the whole analog philosophy that X series have.
They have done it on some of their lenses, I am sure it can be done in the X100 series as well. Maybe it would add a bit more bulk on the lens and that might be the reason they are not doing it.

Old 01-19-2017   #48
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

hmm.

I think I am taking X-100F preorders
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=159435

Old 01-19-2017   #49
jsrockit

Quote:
Leica X camera lens is focus by wire, but has focus stops.
Which cameras are you talking about? X1, X2, etc had a dial on the back of the camera. Oh I see, you mean the type 113. Yes, it did but was also twice as much as the X100 when released.

Digital Teleconverter?
Old 01-19-2017   #50
Dogman

Digital Teleconverter?

Manual focus, focus selectors, joysticks, focus-by-wire, etc., are all moot points for me since I use none of them. As long as I can use the center AF sensor to focus, lock it and recompose, I'm good. All the fiddling with focus apparatuses just gets in the way. I've yet to lose a picture due to the AF on the X100S.

I'm more interested in the design of the digital teleconverter function. I wonder if it can only be used with JPEGs or does it also crop Raw images as well. The Ricoh GRII (my other favorite compact) does a great job with giving good files when cropping the 28mm view to 35mm but less so with the 47mm option. And it works in both JPEG and Raw. With the higher resolution sensor of the X100F, I can see excellent utility in a single camera with built in three lens kit using this feature. But only if it works with Raw files as well as JPEGs.

Old 01-19-2017   #51
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
hmm.

I think I am taking X-100F preorders
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=159435
Most Excellent.

Now I just need to start saving the nickles, dimes and twenties.

I was thinking about an X70, but an iPhone will perform most of the functions just as well. the X100F seems like a CAMERA!

Thanks for the heads up Sir.

B2 (;->

Old 01-19-2017   #52
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Do I understand correctly that the focus ring can now be assigned to other functions?
Or is there another ring ?
Anyone understand how this works?
I don't see another ring on the lens barrel. Is it just the front of the lens?
If yes how will it work with a shade?
Apparently the X70 has a similar feature. Could someone explain how that works.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2017   #53
olakiril

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Anyone understand how this works?
I don't see another ring on the lens barrel. Is it just the front of the lens?
The manual focus ring can be assigned different functions.

Old 01-19-2017   #54
stompyq

Why no 4K video?

Old 01-19-2017   #55
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
... And it works in both JPEG and Raw. With the higher resolution sensor of the X100F, I can see excellent utility in a single camera with built in three lens kit using this feature. But only if it works with Raw files as well as JPEGs.
If you shoot raw you need anyway to process your files and in this case I think you can crop directly on the computer. Or do I miss something ?

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-19-2017   #56
jsrockit

Quote:
Do'h, he did not.... Fuji 23mm 1.4 lens comes with focus scale and DoF marks.
and it is a separate design to a fix lens camera. The 23mm on the X100 is partially inside the camera. None of us stated they couldn't do it. We said you cannot expect it in a $1299 fixed lens camera that is foremost an AF camera.

Old 01-19-2017   #57
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Why no 4K video?
To annoy you Pramodh.

Old 01-19-2017   #58
BlackXList

Quote:
Maybe on the shelf in a camera store it's unique, but overall it's not actually without peer in the market as a whole, which is why it seems overpriced to some.

APSC Fixed lens wide angles bring in the Coolpix A, GR/GRII X70 (yes they're all 28mm as opposed to 35, but they offer similar performance, and at the cost of some MP they all have a 35mm crop function (I think).

The preorder price for the X100f at a very reputable camera store here is 1,149. For 100 more I can have a used Sony RX1.

For a LOT less I can have a Canon Eos 100d and the 24mm 2.8 pancake, which gives me a 38mm fov, is 1.6cm taller than the X100 but not as wide

It's an impressive camera, and the EVF is definitely an impressive feature, but probably the one thing that really sets it apart.

Old 01-19-2017   #59
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
Maybe on the shelf in a camera store it's unique, but overall it's not actually without peer in the market as a whole, which is why it seems overpriced to some.
It's feature set is unique.

Quote:
APSC Fixed lens wide angles bring in the Coolpix A, GR/GRII X70 (yes they're all 28mm as opposed to 35, but they offer similar performance, and at the cost of some MP they all have a 35mm crop function (I think).
No OVF/EVF

Quote:
The preorder price for the X100f at a very reputable camera store here is 1,149. For 100 more I can have a used Sony RX1.

For a LOT less I can have a Canon Eos 100d and the 24mm 2.8 pancake, which gives me a 38mm fov, is 1.6cm taller than the X100 but not as wide

It's an impressive camera, and the EVF is definitely an impressive feature, but probably the one thing that really sets it apart.
Well, sure if you want just a camera, you can find a better deal...but it won't offer the uniqueness of the X100F. If you can't tell what makes it unique, then it simply isn't for you.

Old 01-19-2017   #60
stompyq

Quote:
To annoy you Pramodh.
Well Fuji needs to stop listening to you!

Old 01-20-2017   #61
robert blu
quiet photographer

Another interesting camera...if I decide to go on shooting mainly film and consider digital a simple addition to it, as I'm doing now this could be the candidate to substitute my 6 years old Leica x1...
robert
PS: but if I'll decide to switch more on the digital side than hmmm there are other interesting cameras arrived on the market...

Old 01-20-2017   #62
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
If you shoot raw you need anyway to process your files and in this case I think you can crop directly on the computer. Or do I miss something ?

robert

Just one less thing to do during processing. It's also nice to have the original framing preserved in the Raw file. I love that about the GRII.

Old 01-20-2017   #63
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Just one less thing to do during processing. It's also nice to have the original framing preserved in the Raw file. I love that about the GRII.
Yes, I see. Being a LR user I make a virtual copy of there original raw and crop that! Of course the original Raw file is the "original" and good to preserve it for future.
robert

Old 01-20-2017   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Well Fuji needs to stop listening to you!
Why? I actually buy its cameras... unlike some who want them to include nontraditional features but still would never buy it. Go buy your M43 4K wonder and leave these cameras alone.

Old 01-20-2017   #65
Archlich

It's clear, at least to me since day one, that it's a Hexar, not a M. Hexars do autofocus. Fuji had spent 6 years perfecting that idea, what's so wrong of it being itself instead of something it's not?

Old 01-20-2017   #66
BillBingham2

Quote:
Why no 4K video?
So they can sell you the X100F2

B2 (;->

Old 01-20-2017   #67
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
It's clear, at least to me since day one, that it's a Hexar, not a M. Hexars do autofocus.
True... and let's not forget the Contax G series. That said, Fuji may have had all three in mind:

Old 01-20-2017   #68
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
So they can sell you the X100F2

B2 (;->
And X100M for me! (M version with lens for manual focusing).

Old 01-20-2017   #69
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Yeah, I noticed that in the press release. Perhaps when you switch to manual focus the stick changes from AF point selector to focus stick? Certainly no substitute for a focus tab.

John
what do they mean by it turns into a focus stick? if it means i get to cycle through several customizable focus distances, that would be shout from the rooftops good news.

Old 01-20-2017   #70
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
what do they mean by it turns into a focus stick? if it means i get to cycle through several customizable focus distances, that would be shout from the rooftops good news.
Indeed, what I have always been (personally) asking for is a shortcut to prefocus the lens to a specific distance. Not a "hard infinity stop", but what Ricoh had done right from the very beginning (in 1996), the Snap functions on the GR cameras: Push a button and the lens focuses to 2 meters (distance adjustable with a wheel), set the aperture to f/8, and shoot away. No need to fiddle with that pseudo-manual focus ring, which IMO should just be ditched all together.

The mechanical focus rings on the Q and X Typ 113 surely are nice, but they need a real helicoid and in order to put that in, Fuji would have to completely redesign the camera. On the other hand, the Snap function seems like a natural solution for the focus-by-wire lens, and I'm certain it can be done on the software level quite cost-effectively. Yet I haven't seen Fuji promised anything like that...

Old 01-21-2017   #71
mabelsound

Are we expecting a price drop on the X100T? I can't remember what happened with the S when the T came out. Both the T and F are presently $1299 on Amazon! But I'd jump on a new T at $899, if that came to pass.

Old 01-21-2017   #72
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Are we expecting a price drop on the X100T? I can't remember what happened with the S when the T came out. Both the T and F are presently $1299 on Amazon! But I'd jump on a new T at $899, if that came to pass.

At my local camera shop the T has dropped $300CDN. I imagine it will be that way everywhere soon.

Old 01-23-2017   #73
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I think so, soon... probably once the X100F is actually in stock.

Old 04-10-2017   #75
KEH

I had the X100S and never bonded with it. A bit slow to focus and in operation. I picked up an X100F from Stephen a little over a week ago, and have been impressed. Quick and responsive (although the focus is adequately fast, rather than lightning quick), with the new 24mp sensor and the Acros film simulation. Lots of external controls, a logical menu system and simple customization. I never feel like I am fighting the camera.

Here is a grab-bag of shots from around Washington DC:

https://kirkh.smugmug.com/Photography/Fuji-X100F/

It won't replace my film cameras, but that is not the intention.

Kirk

Old 04-11-2017   #76
damonsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH View Post
I had the X100S and never bonded with it. A bit slow to focus and in operation. I picked up an X100F from Stephen a little over a week ago, and have been impressed. Quick and responsive (although the focu...
Great shots, I've been looking to get one (it's between x100f or the leica Q). Seeing you amazing gallery definitely made me want it even more.

May I ask how is your experience using zone focus(if you do use it)? And have you tried the remote shooting feature? Thanks

Old 04-11-2017   #77
willie_901

I use the X100T.

However zone focus and the remote camera app should be essentially identical with the X100F.

Zone Focus

I occasionally use zone focusing. The EVF/OVF and LCD have the option to display virtual focus bar. This displays the approximate focus distance and DOF range. It's a virtual lens scale. FUJIFILM's DOF range is very conservative. The focus distance and DOF are not lost when the camera is powered off and on. The behavior may be different in MF, AF-S and AF-C. I usually use MF and use the AF manually via the AFL/AFE button or a shutter half-press. .

There are many ways to configure and implement focusing behavior. Initially this can be frustrating. Once you set things up to suit your preferences, all is well.

Remote Access Control

I use the iOS App. Remote access works very well and at one time I used it often. The range is impressive and it's responsive. It is especially helpful with a tablet. There are two disadvantages. WiFi operation shortens battery life... especially if you use live view as a composition tool. The second may be unique to iOS. If you use the app in a location where your mobile device has stored WiFi network settings, it is useful to forget the known network in the iOS Settings. The mobile device will switch to the known network when the camera and, or camera WiFi are turned off. I usually never turned the camera off when I used the remote app. With the X-T1, the WiFi connection would crash for no reason. This was rare, but it did happen.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-11-2017   #78
KEH

Thanks.

I have been using back-button focus. You set the focus to manual (using the switch on the body), and set the AF/AE button to lock autofocus. On the street I focus from the waist (pointing the camera at the subject, then pressing the AF button), then quickly raise the camera and shoot - because focus is set to manual, the camera fires without trying to change the focus.

You can also prefocus at a point, e.g. a telephone pole, using back-button focus, then shoot subjects that are about that far away.

Admittedly not true zone focus, but pretty effective. You can also use the virtual focus bar in manual focus, as Willie_901 suggests. I haven't tried remote shooting.

Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonsong View Post
Great shots, I've been looking to get one (it's between x100f or the leica Q). Seeing you amazing gallery definitely made me want it even more.

May I ask how is your experience using zone focus(if you do use it)? And have you tried the remote shooting feature? Thanks

Old 04-12-2017   #79
honozooloo

I'm gonna agree with others who cited cameras like the Canonet and other fixed-lens non-zoom cameras as evidence that the x100 series is and always will be relevant. It's a simple recipe that has always worked for a certain kind of photographer. And it is always going to relevant, and in demand.

I'm also gonna agree with others who said that a full frame X100 variant makes no sense - the additional power requirements, cost, and questionable gains in IQ coming from a future FF X100 model vs. an APS-C X100 just don't stack up. Anyone who wanted a fixed focal length 35mm P&S could have spent almost 3x more on an RX1 II - and without actually checking sales, I'm gonna assume based on the seat of my pants estimations that the x100 (in all it's S/T/F variants) have outsold the RX1/R I/II family. And price was likely a big part of the reason for that, although form factor and UI may have also played a part. At this point in the development of their X platform, I'd guess that sharing the same XTRANS sensors throughout their family of cameras is part of what keeps the x100 series affordable.

I would like to chime in here and add one of my own personal "wants" for the Fuji X family in general - I would LOVE to see Fuji back away from the megapixel war a bit and develop a lower resolution (say 12-16MP) APS-C XTRANS sensor optimized for all out ISO performance rather than just more pixels. While I love my X-Pro 2 and X-T2, I'd gladly have traded a few pixels (16MP on the previous gen XTRANS was fine for my needs) for better outright ISO performance. And even faster AF would be nice too of course - from what I've read on Fujirumors and other news sources, it would seem like one of the biggest bottlenecks in AF performance is currently the X100's 23mm lens, which may simply not be able to focus much faster than it already can.

Old 04-12-2017   #80
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I have not kept up with the new X100 models. I'm very pleased with my X100. When I need a camera that does what an X100 does, I just grab my X100. When the X100 won't do, I need something very different, like an X20 or a D-lux 6 or a D700. Or a Leica MP or a Hasselblad.