Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

your thought on the x100f coming this week?
Old 01-17-2017   #1
danielsterno
making soup from mud

your thought on the x100f coming this week?

All:

another what seems to be an anticlimactic camera announcement, x100f http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-fuj...-press-photos/
your thoughts? For me its a considerable upgrade being I am on the x100(though still love it) warts and all for my only digital, thinking a little about XP2 instead..... your thoughts, thanks in advance Dan

Old 01-17-2017   #2
SaveKodak

I think the X100 concept has run it's course. I loved the original despite it's flaws. The later models improved a lot, and really matured with the X100T, but the XTrans is a mess of a sensor and a fatal flaw that could have been easily avoided. Now that the AF and viewfinder tech have improved as far as they have, this is a perfect opportunity to introduce a proper 24x36 X100 with a 35/2. Sony made it work, Leica made something very similar work, now Fuji should do the same. I don't even think they need to make a FF XPro or XT cam, obviously they're invested in their lens line up and they have a GFX coming. But currently they have nothing to offer the middle of the high end market. They're saying if you want to use Fuji you should either buy somewhat expensive crop cameras, or extremely expensive MFD cameras. I don't really want either. But I'd love a fixed lens X100FF with a 35/2 and a modern BSI sensor.

Old 01-17-2017   #3
twopointeight

If the sensor is the same as the XP2 and XT2 which I am alreadt invested in, then I will definately buy the x100f, just for something smaller to walk around with, and additional backup for work.

Old 01-17-2017   #4
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
I think the X100 concept has run it's course.
I can't say that I'd agree with that, but...

Quote:
But I'd love a fixed lens X100FF with a 35/2 and a modern BSI sensor.
... I can say that I'd agree with this!

Old 01-17-2017   #5
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

Quote:
I don't even think they need to make a FF XPro or XT cam, obviously they're invested in their lens line up and they have a GFX coming.
What's the status on this?

Old 01-17-2017   #6
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post
What's the status on this?
If you're referring to the GFX, there will be a pricing an availability announcement on Thursday or Friday of this week. A body and lens will set you back about $7500 bucks according to the rumors. Spicy meatball.

Old 01-17-2017   #7
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Unless Fuji goes FF with the X100 series it's just like eating spaghetti every day. The original X100 is still plenty of camera.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-17-2017   #8
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

If it comes with hard stops and focus scale, I'm in.

Old 01-17-2017   #9
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I have the X100T. Great little camera -- I like the layout and the customization options. It's a camera that I frequently "throw in the bag" for a walk-around. I've consistently been amazed with the IQ from the X100T, it's really good. The AF is fast, the macro function is easy to use, the fixed lens is excellent.

FWIW I also own a (used) Leica M240 and I did a lens shoot-out between the X100T and the M240 with a Summicron 35/2. The Leica was a bit better overall -- especially in the corners. But I was comparing oranges to pineapples, therefore it was more of a curiosity exercise.

Can't say I'm excessively thrilled with the new Fuji X100F, I don't think there's enough "wow" factor to make me want to upgrade. If it was FF with a true 35/2 fixed Fujinon lens, then I would be interested. But I'll wait for the early-adopters on the X100F and see what they find out.

Old 01-17-2017   #10
RedLion
Come to the Faire

On the Fuji Rumors site, it says it will come with a focus lever. I wonder how that's going to work?

Old 01-17-2017   #11
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
this x100.

recipe for GAS:

1) full frame (aps-c is fine by me, though)
2) focusing tab as in leica q
3) new optical formula

otherwise, it's really nice!

Old 01-17-2017   #12
tom.w.bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
On the Fuji Rumors site, it says it will come with a focus lever. I wonder how that's going to work?
It doesn't have to really work. As long as it's retro enough, people will buy (or upgrade).

Manual focus with X100 models is slower compared to a real rangefinder mechanism. They sell a retro feeling.

Old 01-18-2017   #13
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
It doesn't have to really work. As long as it's retro enough, people will buy (or upgrade).

Manual focus with X100 models is slower compared to a real rangefinder mechanism. They sell a retro feeling.
I dont know... I'm pretty quick with the split screen manual focus in the Fujis... They're less to do with being retro and more to do with being ergonomically useful.

Old 01-18-2017   #14
Dogman

I'll reserve judgement for at least a year or so. I'm not an early adopter. Right now, I have two X100S cameras and I love the things. I have no quarrel with anything about them. When the X100T came along, I looked closely but didn't see enough improvement in features or quality to warrant adopting the new camera.

What might sway me to buying a new model X100? Quality is excellent as is but an uptick in resolution with an improved sensor and/or processor might do it. An even better lens could do it as well but it would have to quite a step up in quality. I don't need or want a lot of the features some people go gaga about. I like capability with simplicity. That's the real appeal of the X100 series.

Old 01-18-2017   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Unless Fuji goes FF with the X100 series it's just like eating spaghetti every day. The original X100 is still plenty of camera.
Huh? Maybe on paper for spec chasers, but its a completely useful camera that will allow you to make wonderful photos.

Old 01-18-2017   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
Where? I don't see this and the photos clearly show no focus lever.

EDIT: Yeah, I see where they mention that. Weird.

Old 01-18-2017   #17
willie_901

The X100/T/F family is no different than the Canonet QL-17, Yashica Electro 35 GSN/GTN, Konica Hexar AF, Minolta Hi-Matic E, Olympus Pen, Contax T2, Rollei 35, etc.

You use a fixed lens. The cameras are convenient to keep with you just about wherever you go. Many photographers start to naturally pre-visualize potential photographs with their camera's filed of view.

There was a market for fixed-lens, non-zoom cameras before they were retro. The market may be small, but it still exists.

In the case of Fujifilm I suspect they will continue with the X100 concept for a long time. The X100 is the camera that brought life back to their still digital photography business.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-18-2017   #18
jsrockit

I agree completely willie_901. I think we get caught up in specs these days (just as computer nerds do), but the X100 series is a classic and is a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" concept. I will be adding it to my X-Pro2 and X-T2.

Old 01-18-2017   #19
Richard G

Still happy with the original X100. Quick manual change from A and f4 to 1/30s and A for panning a cyclist. The X100 concept has far from had its day.

Old 01-18-2017   #20
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
.... all for my only digital, thinking a little about XP2 instead..... your thoughts, thanks in advance Dan
This is my dilemma as well. I can't decide.

I have the X100T. It is excellent. I also have a XT-1 and 5 XF prime lenses (14, 18, 28, 35/2 and 56 mm). The XT-1 was used for interiors photography gigs. It is excellent as well.

Yet, some days I want to of send the XT-1, vertical battery grip, X100T, 10-24/4 and 28 XF lenses off to KEH and order a X-Pro 2 and 23/2. I no longer do gigs so the 10-24 lens is redundant. I rarely use the X-T1 these days. I prefer Fujifilm's OVF. I would only have one camera (no back up). I guess my iPhone 7 could fill-in should the X-Pro2 have to be sent off for repair.

Other days I think it's best just to keep what I have. The XT-1 and X100T raw files serve my projects well. I don't plan to make extremely large prints. I do my best to avoid using post-production cropping as a means to achieve composition. The X-100T is a bit more convenient as a daily carry. I have handled the X100 tele-extender lenses. The are tempting because their optical performance is excellent. But I think they compromise camera handling. So, they are not for me.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-18-2017   #21
taemo

I'm tempted by the X100F to shoot along side the X-T2 but I'm just not big into 35mm.
If this was 28mm I would be all over it, yes you can get a WCL but the lens becomes bigger.
In terms of APS-C vs FF, after being a sole Fuji shooter for the past 9-10 months I don't see any life changing differences between the 2 for what I shoot.

I seriously just want a X-E3, not the ugly X-T20 (personal opinion)

Old 01-18-2017   #22
olakiril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Same here.

By the way, does anyone know if with the X100T they fixed the shutter release delay if the aperture is smaller than the max? Drove me nuts that one.

Old 01-18-2017   #23
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
In terms of APS-C vs FF, after being a sole Fuji shooter for the past 9-10 months I don't see any life changing differences between the 2 for what I shoot.
Completely agree.

Old 01-18-2017   #24
BlackXList

I'm mostly curious about the effect it's going to have on used X100T prices.

I'll have to go and have a play with one and see what the AF is like, they're exceedingly tempting cameras.

Old 01-18-2017   #25
CliveC

In general, I've always thought the X100 series cost too much for what it brings to the table. Especially since Fuji also has the XE series and the X-Pro series. Maybe I actually need to get one to see what the fuss is about.

Old 01-18-2017   #26
benlees

I hope the X100F remains full frame free. It is currently an excellent tool; a 36x24 sensor would make it very expensive! Although Fuji does tend to flood it's own market, the GFX 50 would seem to end any speculation of 36x24 sensors in any current model line.

Old 01-18-2017   #27
DrMcCoy

Quote:
All:

another what seems to be an anticlimactic camera announcement, x100f http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-fuj...-press-photos/
your thoughts? For me its a considerable upgrade being I am on the x100(though still love it) warts and all for my only digital, thinking a little about XP2 instead..... your thoughts, thanks in advance Dan
I've got a X100S and I really felt the upgrade between that and the T when I was able to trial it for a few days. The little things made a large difference between the two cameras - but not enough to plonk down my own change. Since you're coming from the original X100 I honestly wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get either the T or the new F. This being said - I'm not super pleased with how the F seems to have been updated from the T (let's wait for the full release to make a real judgement) but if it has the same AF as in the X-Pro2 it will be k i l l e r.

Old 01-18-2017   #28
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
I've got a X100S and I really felt the upgrade between that and the T when I was able to trial it for a few days. The little things made a large difference between the two cameras - but not enough to plonk down my own change. Since you're coming from the original X100 I honestly wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get either the T or the new F. This being said - I'm not super pleased with how the F seems to have been updated from the T (let's wait for the full release to make a real judgement) but if it has the same AF as in the X-Pro2 it will be k i l l e r.
Agreed on all points. curious, why wouldn't it have the same AF as XP2/XT2?

Old 01-18-2017   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveC View Post
In general, I've always thought the X100 series cost too much for what it brings to the table.
How so though? It's unique and even Fuji's other cameras cannot compete with it on price.

Old 01-18-2017   #30
jsrockit

Quote:
curious, why wouldn't it have the same AF as XP2/XT2?
I believe it does no?

Old 01-19-2017   #31
narsuitus

I am so glad the 100F does not have an articulating LCD, weather resistance, and a titanium finish because if it did, I would be forced to buy one or two.

Old 01-19-2017   #32
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Still happy with the original X100. Quick manual change from A and f4 to 1/30s and A for panning a cyclist. The X100 concept has far from had its day.

Plus one .... I have an original X100 and like it so much I picked up the 2 screw in lens', which work extraordinarily well. I have no issues what so ever with the operation and IQ of this camera including the accessory lens'.

Old 01-19-2017   #33
Gregm61

Quote:
All:

The perfect upgrade is a camera with a 35mm f2 prime lens that you can remove and add a 75mm f2 lens or an 18mm f3.8 ultrawide if you need them, LOL. Otherwise, you're just buying one more of pretty much the same thing.

How many times does one need to buy the same lens?

Old 01-19-2017   #34
Nyc Dito

Im glad to see the original X100 getting so much praise here. I just picked one up and love the thing so far.

Concerning the X100f, i would love one. But to be honest for the money i would rather buy another film camera. Thats why i picked up a used X100. It met all my current requirements for a digital camera.

Old 01-19-2017   #35
Dogman

From Fuji today:

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n170119_02.html

Old 01-19-2017   #36
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
I hope the X100F remains full frame free. It is currently an excellent tool; a 36x24 sensor would make it very expensive! Although Fuji does tend to flood it's own market, the GFX 50 would seem to end any speculation of 36x24 sensors in any current model line.
Yes. They are skipping 24 X 36 mm sensors completely.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-19-2017   #37
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
The perfect upgrade is a camera with a 35mm f2 prime lens that you can remove and add a 75mm f2 lens or an 18mm f3.8 ultrawide if you need them, LOL. Otherwise, you're just buying one more of pretty much the same thing.

How many times does one need to buy the same lens?
Not gonna happen.

The sensor assembly's micro-lens array in all X00 cameras is designed to work with the 23/2 lens. The change of light rays' angles exiting the rear element between the center of the frame and the edges is compensated by a change in the micro-lenses' optics. This design allows the body to be thin. This is also how come their teleconverters are practical.

The X100 S and T lens is superior to the original X100 lens. For one thing the flare around bright point-source lights is eliminated.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-19-2017   #38
Larry Cloetta

I see from reading their blurb today that they have added a "film simulation mode" for ACROS. But, is it ACROS in Rodinal, or ACROS in XTOL, or ACROS in Microphen? Ay, there's the rub.

Old 01-19-2017   #39
jsrockit

Pre-ordered one. All I needed to read is that it can focus down to -3EV.

Old 01-19-2017   #40
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I was zooming in camera images yesterday to find the focus lever on the lens. Can't find any. Only same Leica-Viogtalnder style aperture ears. Just learned now what Fuji called the AF points joystick selector as the focus lever. But they just implemented thing which my 5D from 2005 had... Must have, but has nothing to do with focus lever.
Still no reason to switch from my Canon 500D with AF pancake lens on it.