Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

What does the gallery need?
Old 11-10-2016   #1
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

What does the gallery need?

I would like feedback on what you think the gallery needs to be a better product. What would make you more likely to use it, upload, and share with others. What features would you like to see.

Over at www.ZeissImages.com is the latest version of the gallery running on its own. There are quite a few features on the newer version that are used regularly by the members. Would you like to see an RFF gallery just like zeissimages.com on it's own or do you like it integrated into the rff forum software. I'm all ears waiting to hear/read what you have to say.

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 11-10-2016   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

An intake of members with more interest in actual photos would be a good start.

Old 11-10-2016   #3
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

All I need is to recive notification of reply on comment. Don't know how complicated it is but it works on another forums with galleries.

Old 11-10-2016   #4
Shac

If it's important to know what lens/camera was used -just let a poster state the info without resorting to a partial list or a round-about way of adding these data. (given the size of postings - I'm not sure these data are really of any value - same goes for most web images - BUT some folks like to know).
Thanks anyway for asking Jorge

Old 11-10-2016   #5
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

70 year old eyes don't see little pictures so good. Can we increase the display or the image size or something?

Old 11-10-2016   #6
gb hill

Arista EDU 100, 200, & 400 films plus Kentmere 100 b&w films need to be added. Please.

Old 11-10-2016   #7
leica M2 fan

The way I see it the quality of pictures in the gallery has not gone down- it's gone UP!
Most people here now don't seem to be interested. It's very frustrating.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 11-10-2016   #8
Doug

Yes, notifications would be useful.

And the Search feature should include word searches in the Photo Notes field, same in the Title field.

And, still in Searches, the Original File Name search only works on complete exact filenames... can this be a string search too?

Would like to clean up the lists to make them consistent and correct, and spread the corrections throughout the existing uploads... This would improve the results of searches.

Many many uploads do not use the Show/Hide Photo Detail Editor fields. I suspect many users don't know about this feature. This needs to be made more obvious and easier to use.

Old 11-10-2016   #9
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Arista EDU 100, 200, & 400 films plus Kentmere 100 b&w films need to be added. Please.
Done! ..................

Old 11-10-2016   #10
dotur
od karnevala

The latest version at www.ZeissImages.com works for me. However, I think RFF gallery should be integrated into the RFF forum software.

dotur's photo albums

Old 11-10-2016   #11
p.giannakis

I personally think that there needs to be a limit as to many pictures someone can upload per day.

Old 11-10-2016   #12
michaelwj
----------------

The ZeissImages gallery is okay, but every page I go to there is an annoying add (albeit for Jorge's website) popping up from the bottom, I lasted a few pages and it just kept coming up so I left. Very annoying how it keeps coming in and out and back again every time.

Old 11-10-2016   #13
dotur
od karnevala

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I personally think that there needs to be a limit as to many pictures someone can upload per day.
The limit already exists. Perhaps we should set the minimum limit too - as Tony said, the lack of interest for the gallery is frustrating.

dotur's photo albums

Old 11-10-2016   #14
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

New members need to post 20 images before gaining access to the gear threads!

Old 11-11-2016   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leica M2 fan View Post
The way I see it the quality of pictures in the gallery has not gone down- it's gone UP!
Most people here now don't seem to be interested. It's very frustrating.

Totally agree with this Tony. The quality is high but the interest appears to be minimal.

Old 11-11-2016   #16
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

On a more serious note, I think more challenges and contests would be a nice attribution. The Viv Maier contest has yielded quite a few new entries.

In the past I organised some challenges myself, where a song text would be cut up in lines and you got assigned a line to depict. That was fun to do but it took place wholly outside the gallery.
It would be nice to organise something like that again, and have it take place in the gallery, where the end result would be that you can see all lines and images in sequence, to create a pictorial view on a song text.

Would require a song text that is free of rights, my last attempt was with a Tom Waits song text and Stephen pointed out (rightfully so) that I could not reproduce any result on the forum since Waits would likely come down on it. Silly me.

Old 11-11-2016   #17
EliasK

Gallery needs new photographers with fresh ideas. I don't really know how they can be attracted to post here, but this will make it interesting again for me.

Maybe more frequent competitions with some tempting prizes?

Old 11-11-2016   #18
underlord

Well, it took me a l-o-n-g time to get used to uploading to the Gallery. Having been on flickr for many years I suppose I got spoilt. After many stabs at uploading I got really confused by the upload criteria (I don't do numbers very well) now I use the BBCode method and I have gone on a spree. As Keith said, though this is a photography site, there doesn't seem to be much interest in 'actual' photographs! I noticed, for example, in the current contest, when the votes tally was visible, there were around 60-70 votes cast in the first few days. This is out of a membership of 60,000+
Also I have never used (I did try) the options to include lens,film used etc. I found some of my lenses not listed, so instead I use the 'notes' option and list camera,lens and film. This part, for me, is very important as we are mostly dealing with film.
As far as I am concerned, less complicated uploads should improve Gallery interest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underlord/albums/

Old 11-11-2016   #19
daveleo
what?

There are no user interface changes that would increase my gallery viewing. I personally am (and have been for a long time) just overwhelmed by the flow of images through my day. Museum pages, gallery pages, books, magazines, etc etc.
This does not answer the OP's question. It just shows that design changes will not (in my own case) change the outcome.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 11-11-2016   #20
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I'm trying to stay away from comments not related to technicalities, but... RFF isn't just gearheads forum, because we have people who posts regularly in the Gallery, but next to never in forums. Those are making RFF as photography forum most.
Would technical changes make Gallery more popular? Absolutely not.

But from my gearhead perspective could you, please, create "technical illustrations" category. With growing number of OS, browsers and outsourced programmers the compatibility issues are only increasing. It will be nice to post technical illustration on forum and to be 100% sure what it is visible and stays here as long as forum stays.
It is very frustrating to find the thread were it is explained "how to fix it", but images are gone because they were hosted at some Australian site (some of you might know what I'm talking about ) which is dead long time ago.

Old 11-11-2016   #21
willie_901

I would welcome a Gallery similar to the zeissimages.com gallery design.

A more modern look plus a flood of in-Forum publicity could generate more widespread interest. I doubt it would lower participation.

Years ago (and no doubt several gallery versions ago as well) I just quit posting photos because the SW was too clunky. This Thread makes me realize I want to participate again and I will.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-11-2016   #22
Rangefinder 35

I'd like to see direct uploading to the forums without having to go through f(oot)lickr. And the size of image uploaded to gallery should be bigger, if possible.

Old 11-11-2016   #23
PaulCooper

I've noticed that some people just dump the contents of their (digital) cameras into gallery (within daily limit), without even bothering to put a title on the image. I understand that some images are better left untitled, but when dubious-merit pictures are thus "shared" with the rest of us it brings the quality of whole gallery down. On the other hand I can't imagine some kind of "artistic merit" censorship. It's a veritable bind.

Old 11-11-2016   #24
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
Everyone is so nice in their comments there appears no way to improve, so unless you just need a pat on the back, why post.

This has been talked to death in many photo forums (remember on this forum a few years back - "honest criticsim" ...... what a #$%#@ war that turned into. I think a few people ended up being kicked out after that battle (?)
People post images for a variety of reasons.... simple social sharing is a big reason ..... asking for personal / technical opinions is another.
If you want critical opinions, just post and ask for it.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 11-11-2016   #25
Mackinaw
Think Different

I haven’t added a picture to my gallery in several months now. No specific reason actually, I just rather put any good pictures I take on my website. I do however, contribute to the Words/No Words picture section. All the various categories there really interest me.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 11-11-2016   #26
johnwolf

I've posted a few gallery pics to try it out. But isn't it somewhat redundant when most of us have web sites, blogs, social media pages, etc.? And we can post to threads.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason to post there when all those other resources are available, many with the ability to create the look and feel we want.

John

Old 11-11-2016   #27
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Done! ..................
Thank you Doug. I'm shooting a lot of the EDU films & just received some rolls of the Kentmere 100 from B&H. I read its a good replacement to Plus X. We'll see.

I really like loading to the gallery. So simple. Like looking at images in the gallery. Much easier to control than flickr. You guys do a good job & know what ever improvements are made will be awesome.

Old 11-11-2016   #28
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I don't think this is related to the topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCooper View Post
I've noticed that some people just dump the contents of their (digital) cameras into gallery (within daily limit), without even bothering to put a title on the image. I understand that some images are better left untitled, but when dubious-merit pictures are thus "shared" with the rest of us it brings the quality of whole gallery down. On the other hand I can't imagine some kind of "artistic merit" censorship. It's a veritable bind.
Titling is only option. Rare option. How many titles do you remember from world known photographers?

"Dumping" or "series" depends on the viewer imagination capability.

"Quality of whole gallery" is like "quality" of all food on the food market. Eat what you are get used to of or dare to try something different. In RFF Gallery I'm finding even some junky digital cameras pictures ignitive for my imagination.

Old 11-11-2016   #29
Bill Clark

Make it like Facebook. Easy and simple.

I can't easily upload a photograph even from my iPad mini here.

Old 11-11-2016   #30
f16sunshine

Alphebetize the lens list please. It's too messy as is.

Old 11-11-2016   #31
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I've posted a few gallery pics to try it out. But isn't it somewhat redundant when most of us have web sites, blogs, social media pages, etc.? And we can post to threads.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason to post there when all those other resources are available, many with the ability to create the look and feel we want.

John
Perfectly stated.... I feel the sae way
Threads are enough for me here

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 11-11-2016   #32
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder 35 View Post
I'd like to see direct uploading to the forums without having to go through f(oot)lickr. ....
THIS! With automatic resizing.

photography makes me happy

Old 11-11-2016   #33
dotur
od karnevala

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Perfectly stated.... I feel the sae way
Threads are enough for me here
Funny as it may be, threads are completely redundant for me here

dotur's photo albums

Old 11-11-2016   #34
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Easy uploading of photos which means automatic resizing.
This is at least the third time of my requesting.
Surely it can't be difficult to write the code needed so there must be another good reason.

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 11-11-2016   #35
Peter Wijninga

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf
I've posted a few gallery pics to try it out. But isn't it somewhat redundant when most of us have web sites, blogs, social media pages, etc.? And we can post to threads. John
Agreed, also since the ''gallery'' is missing most ''Flickr''-like characteristics and features.

Old 11-11-2016   #36
MP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1dog View Post
Easy uploading of photos which means automatic resizing.
This is at least the third time of my requesting.
Surely it can't be difficult to write the code needed so there must be another good reason.
I don't understand the resizing comments. As it stands if your image is bigger than defined dimensions, it gets resized.

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Old 11-11-2016   #37
Bill Clark

Why won't the gallery here accept my photos but Facebook will?

I don't have to do anything special with FB.

Maybe it's me!

Old 11-11-2016   #38
MP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Why won't the gallery here accept my photos but Facebook will?

I don't have to do anything special with FB.

Maybe it's me!
try posting it on leicaimages.com and see what happens or send me the photo so I can see what is going on. But, please provide more details.

torralba.LeicaImages.com
torralba.ZeissImages.com
jorgetorralba.com

Old 11-11-2016   #39
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Just tried to upload a photo:
'exceeds maximum file size' - message appears.
No automatic resizing here.
Image was bigger than defined dimensions and didn't upload.
Does this make my observation clearer?

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 11-11-2016   #40
Bill Clark

Here is what I get when I try to upload a photo from my iPad mini with a photo I made with it of my M3 and do you need all those fields to fill in?

Now the screenshot I made, showing the results of attempted upload with my iPad mini, won't upload here.

I see when I clicked submit it did upload, but a small image. Strange.

Why is it so difficult?

Here is the photo on Facebook. Easy peasy to upload there:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1891.jpg (21.5 KB, 5 views)