Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Canonet problem
Old 10-14-2016   #1
Johntaxi

Canonet problem

Hi,

I bought a G111 GL (silver) on eBay for 25.00

The camera looks in top condition cosmetically. When I unpacked it I tried the frame advance which engaged and returned.....but thats it, the shutter button does nothing, the frames advance now only moves around one third the way.

Anyhow, when I opened the back I found a roll of film wound inside. I had a go at loading a film but as I say I cannot advance it. Also the pin I pressed to rewind the film has stayed put.

Looking through the lens the shutters are closed, and the aperture blades move freely.

The camera still had the old Mercury battery in it, I have or orded a replacement.

I am new to this type of camera and hope I am missing something obvious,

But fear it has major problems.any advise much appreciated.

Thanks John

Old 10-14-2016   #2
papaki

Hi and welcome to the Forum John,
Make sure you are not trying it at auto exposure without a battery. Move the aperture ring away from the 'A' position and try tripping the shutter again.

Old 10-14-2016   #3
Johntaxi

Hello,

Thanks for your response, when I moved the dial from the auto setting the shutter button descended all the way down. But still nothing triggered....is the self timer 100% mechanical as I have engaged this but again without success.

Thanks John

Old 10-14-2016   #4
Johntaxi

looking online, it seems it's not straightforward...shutter & timer problems very common.

I will check meter when the battery arrives, and put it back on eBay for repairs.

Thanks again for you help.

Old 10-18-2016   #5
ftw1952

Put a few drops of lighter fluid into the self-timer slot were the lever is exposed. turn the camera around in a circular motion for one minute keeping the lens pointing away from you and not up and down. That should loosen the timer to work. If so and the shutter does not operate still add a few more drops into the camera area once more. Set the camera down on it's back side for one minute. Now the shutter should work. If so do this everyday for a week. Trip the shutter only once each day or else the fluid will travel on the optics. Let me know the outcome

Old 10-31-2016   #6
Johntaxi

Thanks, ftw 1952 ....I shall be giving this a try. I have put in the new battery and the battery life indicator glows. But nothing inside at the meter, also now shutter speed ring will not move after i selected B setting. Hopefully your advice will free up the self timer and resolve the other issues.

I will order some lighter fluid online.....I have some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, does this do the same job.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2016   #7
Johntaxi

Fully working Canonet...except meter.

Put in the isopropyl and turned as you said. Shutter blades did get wet so blew air in with a lens blower. Sorted.

Thanks for your helpful advice.