Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

18 films developed
Old 10-11-2016   #1
Roger Hicks

18 films developed

We have a BIG backlog, mostly Frances's. Today (Tuesday 11th) I was supposed to go into hospital for a week or more. They screwed up (not unknown) and admitted it (all but unknown with hospitals)! On Sunday and Monday I developed 18 rolls in DD-X. More (insha'Alllah) before I go in next month. I might even clear the backlog...

How big are others' backlogs?

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-11-2016   #2
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Two bw, which will be developed this week. One ECN-2 (have ready chemicals, but I'm lazy), one C-41 (have two 1L kits, but no other C-41 films at all) and about four E-6 rolls.
I purchased two E-6 1L kits at Moscow, but have to remove them from baggage due to overweight...

Old 10-11-2016   #3
rjbuzzclick

No bad...two 35mm rolls, two 4x5 sheets of ortho litho film, and another sheet of 4x5 AristaEDU.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Old 10-11-2016   #4
michaelwj
----------------

I only have 9 reloadable cassettes, so unless I'm buying pre-rolled film (very rarely) it had to be less than or equal to 9. It keeps things simple and keeps me on my toes.

Old 10-11-2016   #5
kram

I am very good a developing B&M 120 and large format film (by 'good', I mean developing it and putting into negative sleeves and files). However, I am poor at getting round to printing the negs? 35mm I send away unless it is a 'special' slow film, which needs 'special' developer, then I develop myself, again quite promptly.

Old 10-11-2016   #6
02Pilot
Malcontent

Right now, I'm clean. Biggest backlog I had recently was 17 rolls of HP5+ I had to get through when I returned from France a few months ago. Slow going with a 2-reel tank. No surprise perhaps that I now have a 4-reel tank.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 10-11-2016   #7
johnf04

One roll - plus one almost completed in an Agfa Super Silette.

Old 10-11-2016   #8
zuiko85

Don't know off hand, a few but less than 10. Thing is I'm not a prolific shooter. probably whats backed up represents 6~8 months. But, glad to hear even professionals get backed up in undeveloped film.

And yes, I heard about Garry Winogrand's thousands of rolls left undeveloped when he died.

Old 10-11-2016   #9
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

I ran 20 rolls of 35/120 last week, clearing a good bit of my backlog, but then shot Some more over the weekend, so am back up to about 14-15 rolls in waiting. I've had a long stretch of not being able to get in the darkroom much at all, which is finally (finally!) coming to an end this week.

Old 10-11-2016   #10
Huss

Hope all is ok with you Roger.

I get to it once I have at least 4 rolls exposed.

Old 10-11-2016   #11
charjohncarter

Caught up right now, but I have five cameras with film in them. So the next few weeks will be busy.

EDIT: I've been to surgery too many times and there is always something, you get yourself psyched for the event and delay. I just check a few of my meters on a Zone V wall I have and was thinking of you and how much I've learned from your (especially about exposure, but not exclusive) magazine articles , books and now on RFF. Anyway thanks and my best to you during your hospital stay.

Old 10-11-2016   #12
Crazy Fedya

I have somewhere around 60-70 rolls of black and white 135 and 120 film waiting to get developed. Some of it dates back about 4 years. I have suspended developing in May of 2013 due to kitchen renovation, had around 10 rolls in backlog then. I have been shooting C41 and slide film mostly since then, which I get developed in my local Lab. I didn't start developing again because after kitchen renovation came basement renovation and our bathroom and my daughters' bedroom needed refurb. If everything works out I should be able to start working on my backlog this winter. I have some D76, Xtol, HC110 and Rodinal ready( I bought it all last January). I can't wait to develop them.

Old 10-11-2016   #13
farlymac
PF McFarland

Up to date on developing/scanning. Getting them posted somewhere is another thing.

Lets hope they don't forget why you're there when the time comes around again, Roger. Or which items are to be removed/repaired.

PF

Old 10-11-2016   #14
Thanimal

More lying around in the freezer than I care to think about. I have started chipping away at the pile of 4x5 though: last night I finally tried out the new SP-445 tank, and the results are looking promising. Way more fun than sloshing one's hands about in trays.

"The sooner we fall behind, the more time we'll have to catch up." The Book of Boatyard Wiz-dum