Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

Bag for Two Ms
Old 07-24-2016   #1
giganova

Bag for Two Ms

I'm looking for a bag that will hold two Leica M's with lenses mounted, plus a couple of films. Which of those would fit best?

Billingham Hadley Small: too small?
Billingham Hadly Pro
Ona Bowery: too small?
Ona Brixton or
Ona Berlin: wonderful bags, but very expensive
Domke F-5XB

Old 07-24-2016   #2
Laviolette

There's also the Retrospective series by Think Tank...I have the 7, and it will hold two bodies with lenses mounted, plus an extra lens. Great quality, but the big itself isn't that small though...maybe the Retrospective 5 would be the right size for you?

Old 07-24-2016   #3
Brian Legge

I regularly take a Tenba DNA 8 out with a Rollei and M. Two Ms wouldn't be a problem. It may be worth checking out. Love the zipper on the top as well as the sliding clasps/quiet velcro pairing.

Old 07-24-2016   #4
aizan

the hadley small, berlin, and f-5xb will hold your kit.

Old 07-24-2016   #5
Iestrada

On the ona website, there is a page of various photographers being featured and what bags they use. I reached out to one of them to ask pretty much the same question. (Two bodies, one film, one digits, lenses attached (35, 50) to each body plus a 28 and a 90, film, flash, and a few filter). I asked about the Brixton and a second one similar to the Berlin(can't remember the name).

He recommended the Brixton. The other one was too small for the job. This person I am referring to uses 4 or 5 different ona bags.

The Brixton is way too expensive for my taste and I opted for cheaper one. I will look for a link of it and posted as soon as a find it. Much cheaper alternative..

Old 07-24-2016   #6
Iestrada

As promised here is the link:

http://www.moshileatherbag.com/produ...amera-bag-dz10

I bought on eBay for less and the clasp are different but otherwise it is the identical bag. You can find other options on the website provided.

Old 07-24-2016   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

I love my $30 camera bag that I bought new online before my last trip. It is a very functioning bag.
I can have in it two M camera or an M and a SWC.

Why spend more than $30?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vintage-...oAAOSwY45UN6X5

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-24-2016   #8
back alley
IMAGES

the domke 5xb for a good basic bag or the ona bowery for something a bit more upscale.
i don't care for the closure straps on the billinghams.

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 07-24-2016   #9
pechelman
resu deretsiger

the hadley small will work perfect.
With 2 M's with lenses mounted, theres still room for a few filters, extra batteries, lens pen, blower, extra lens or two, a small pocket umbrella if needed, and a small snack. I never carry that much, but it fits.

Old 07-24-2016   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

There are many bags that can do this job well. A lot depends on the specific lenses you want to use.

This photo shows the Artisan & Artist RRN 01C "Easy Slider Sling Bag", the smaller of two similar bags from A&A.

In it is a Leica M4-2 fitted with Color Skopar 50/2.5, a Leica M-D typ 262 fitted with Summilux 35/1.4 v2, and a Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4. There's enough room for a couple of rolls of film inside, and other incidentals in the side pockets. It's physically about as small as you can go and still fit this amount of gear inside with good protection, and is about the same size as the Tenba DNA 8. It's a little small for a good shooting bag since there's no space to quickly jam things in and out of it unless you assume that you'll have one of the cameras out and around your neck already.

I like small bags like this for a one camera and up to two lenses minimal kit. For two cameras with two to three lenses, I'll go up a size to something more on the order of an*A&A ACAM 1100 or Billingham Hadley.

There are many choices to be had...

Old 07-24-2016   #11
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I love my $30 camera bag that I bought new online before my last trip. It is a very functioning bag.
I can have in it two M camera or an M and a SWC.

Why spend more than $30?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vintage-...oAAOSwY45UN6X5
My "nice" cameras usually serve a specific function - either as daily drivers or something to bring to more formal events. I also have a billingham which isn't often used, but simply a joy to carry around.

Regarding the OP, my go-to two-camera bag is an ONA prince street. The Billingham Leica Combination is a little wider and should fit an extra lens.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 07-24-2016   #12
Chubberino

I use small and large Hadley's and both work fine for a 2 Leica kit.

Old 07-24-2016   #13
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I have the Domke 5XB and the Think Tank Retrospective 5. I would use either one for this purpose. The Retro 5 has more room for extras, while the Domke is more body-hugging.

Old 07-24-2016   #14
B-9
Devin Bro

http://us.kakaduaustralia.com/collec...co-utility-bag

The last bag I will likely buy for camera's, bought one on a whim, and love it!

Looks like they have updated the design a little with slightly longer handles, and Ill tell you those handles are something you never knew you wanted in a camera bag until you have them!

At the new price of 139$ it is a solid investment, Kakadu products are made to last, and from my experience, are built better than any other bag Ive used thus far. On a whole new level compared to the Domke bags I own... and I love my Domkes...

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 07-24-2016   #15
Chubberino

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
http://us.kakaduaustralia.com/collec...co-utility-bag

The last bag I will likely buy for camera's, bought one on a whim, and love it!

Looks like they have updated the design a little with slightly longer handles, and Ill tell you those handles are something you never knew you wanted in a camera bag until you have them!

At the new price of 139$ it is a solid investment, Kakadu products are made to last, and from my experience, are built better than any other bag Ive used thus far. On a whole new level compared to the Domke bags I own... and I love my Domkes...
Those look nifty.

Old 07-24-2016   #16
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

Ona Bowery all day long. The problem with the Domke are those damn zippers! Not to mention the extremely loud velcro for the flap. The Ona on the other hand has great quality canvas (or leather), is more water resistant, the clip makes it easier to open/close, and the pockets are more versatile. Only suggestion would be to pick up one extra divider (they only include one with the bag which is pretty cheap of them).

Here's a shot of my Bowery with an MP and Fuji (roughly the same size as an M) along with a case for 4 rolls of film. Depending on the trip I'll bring a few of these cases along and also put batteries in this center divided section. Front pockets hold ND filters and lens pen. Large rear pocket can accommodate an iPad Air for flights

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 07-24-2016   #17
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I have a Billingham Hadley Pro and would recommend it as a two M camera bag. Some do not like the closure straps on the BillHadPro, but I do not find them to be objectionable.

Billingham bags offer first class construction and great long term durability; after 13 years, my BillHadPro is just now starting to look a bit broken in.

The Kakadu bags are tempting, though; they are great looking and look like they are bombproof.

Old 07-24-2016   #18
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
The Kakadu bags are tempting, though; they are great looking and look like they are bombproof.
They look great. I have one. But they're very heavy for their size and formless, you need to build an interior for them. I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed when it arrived. Only reason I still have it is that a friend of mine really likes it and I'm planning to give it to him as a bday gift. Otherwise, I'd have sent it back.

G

Old 07-24-2016   #19
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Why spend more than $30?

Maybe for buying it once.

I have Tamrac bag, which fits to M, wallet, films, exposure meter, mobile phone and glasses with water bottle outside.
It is $50+ bag, but I paid for it $20 new. I have it for many trips over some years now. Once it is not good anymore I'll buy something snobby
Oh, I have Domke laptop, camera bag and it is nothing special or better comparing to Tamrac.

Old 07-24-2016   #20
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I'll second an A&A bag. I've been using one that's about 13" wide for about six years and love everything about it since I removed the Velcro from the flap. Can't remember which bag it is, as they seem to have different names whether you get it from photo village or pop flash or eBay. 305cm or so wide. Also carries an m and a Rollei or the 667w wonderfully.

Gave it a good test in water resistance a few weeks ago, walked home in a drenching downpour from a meetup with Dan Daniels. The M9 was dry as a bone.

Bag for Two Ms
Old 07-24-2016   #21
Mute-on

Bag for Two Ms

Billingham L2. It's designed for 2 Ms with lenses.
I bought one for a recent overseas trip. I carried 2 Ms with 35 and 50 lenses mounted. There was an extra space in the main compartment for another lens, film, etc.
The full length pocket is brilliant for a good amount of extra storage (wallet, filters, cleaning supplies, soft hat, etc).
No Velcro. Very easy access when cover flap is released, very secure when closed with the two toggle clasps. In use, I left the cover flap loose for quick access.
I used a shoulder pad and barely noticed the bag at all on all day outings.
Highly recommended!

Cheers

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-24-2016   #22
sevres_babylone

I have the Hadley Pro, the Bowery and the 5XB. I think the Hadley Pro is bigger than you want, but it's an excellent bag. I use it daily, with an M9 and lens, and extra lens, and usually a second compact camera. But it will hold a second M body. It also holds a Macbook Air. And contrary to Joe, I like the closure straps. I carry it daily to work.
However, when I'm just going out shooting, I prefer the Bowery. I generally don't shoot film, so I don't have to think about where to put the film. I have used it with my M9 with sonar 50 and hood on it, along with an OM-D with a Voigtlander 40mm. I'm not as excited about the pockets. In the front pockets, which are protected when the bag is closed, I carry earplugs in one and a cleaning cloth in one, and a very small notepad, and an extra battery in the other. There are small pockets at the ends, one of which holds my extra m9 battery, the other, sometimes, a phone. The back pocket is fairly shallow, and I've lost a CD from it. Usually just keep a couple of pens in it.
I liked my first 5XB, though I never had two bodies in it. Then when I bought a second one Domke had changed to a very stiff bottom (they may have changed back), which I didn't like. I also don't like the zipper I prefer the Bowery to the 5XB. If going two o bodies with a Domke, I prefer the 803.

Old 07-24-2016   #23
jim0266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviolette View Post
There's also the Retrospective series by Think Tank...I have the 7, and it will hold two bodies with lenses mounted, plus an extra lens. Great quality, but the big itself isn't that small though...maybe the Retrospective 5 would be the right size for you?
I have the Retrospective 5 and it should fit your needs. This Google image search of the 5 should give you a good idea. Had the bag now for a few months and like it.

http://bit.ly/2aaQ1ou

Old 07-24-2016   #24
KarlG

I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag - lightweight, just the right amount of space for 2x Ms with lenses, plus an extra 1-2 lenses (depending on what you use).

Old 07-24-2016   #25
majid
Fazal Majid

The Wotancraft Etan (not sure if they're still made) or Ryker would fit the bill.
I'd steer clear oif Ona, at least the leather models, as I've found them underwhelming.
If you are looking at Billingham, consider also Fogg, which are better made.
One bag that is not often mentioned is the Dothebag line sold by Monochrom in Germany, specially the Mono_07 or the Mono_14 (available in a Koenig Leica edition specifically designed for dual-M systems). I have the Mono_10, it is very well made, apart from the unlined leather in some places.

Old 07-24-2016   #26
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
I'd steer clear oif Ona, at least the leather models, as I've found them underwhelming...
I don't have the leather one because of price/weight, but, in any event, I think underwhelming is good.

Old 07-24-2016   #27
aizan

which camera bag should you choose, assuming they all hold the same stuff?

the one that matches your wardrobe.

Old 07-25-2016   #28
kuvvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
I have the Hadley Pro, the Bowery and the 5XB. I think the Hadley Pro is bigger than you want, but it's an excellent bag. I use it daily, with an M9 and lens, and extra lens, and usually a second compact camera. But it will hold a second M body. It also holds a Macbook Air. And contrary to Joe, I like the closure straps. I carry it daily to work.
However, when I'm just going out shooting, I prefer the Bowery. I generally don't shoot film, so I don't have to think about where to put the film. I have used it with my M9 with sonar 50 and hood on it, along with an OM-D with a Voigtlander 40mm. I'm not as excited about the pockets. In the front pockets, which are protected when the bag is closed, I carry earplugs in one and a cleaning cloth in one, and a very small notepad, and an extra battery in the other. There are small pockets at the ends, one of which holds my extra m9 battery, the other, sometimes, a phone. The back pocket is fairly shallow, and I've lost a CD from it. Usually just keep a couple of pens in it.
I liked my first 5XB, though I never had two bodies in it. Then when I bought a second one Domke had changed to a very stiff bottom (they may have changed back), which I didn't like. I also don't like the zipper I prefer the Bowery to the 5XB. If going two o bodies with a Domke, I prefer the 803.
Have to agree about your bottom, Domke that is. I had a blue 5xb which was very soft and comfortable to use. I recently got the canvas weatherproof version and noticed the base is much firmer, hence it only being about four times. May seek out an older style one. The Bowery is nicer but those pockets are almost useless and I told Ona so.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 07-25-2016   #29
giganova

Quote:
Why spend more than $30?
Because it looks like a $30 bag?

Old 07-25-2016   #30
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
The Wotancraft Etan (not sure if they're still made) or Ryker would fit the bill.
I'd steer clear oif Ona, at least the leather models, as I've found them underwhelming.
If you are looking at Billingham, consider also Fogg, which are better made.
One bag that is not often mentioned is the Dothebag line sold by Monochrom in Germany, specially the Mono_07 or the Mono_14 (available in a Koenig Leica edition specifically designed for dual-M systems). I have the Mono_10, it is very well made, apart from the unlined leather in some places.
The monochrom line is neat but not easy to get outside of Europe.

ONA's canvas models are a personal favorite. I have the bowery and prince street in matching black canvas. The leather bags are beautiful but tend to age less than gracefully, and I've found them too heavy for day-to-day use...but that can be said of most all-leather should bags in general.

Fogg's design language feels weird to me, although their build quality is impeccable. Same for Oberworth. I would own one if it weren't the price of a nice 50mm M lens...

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 07-25-2016   #31
Jake Mongey

My manfrotto street series rucksack is great, I can get up to 2 bodies and a large 50 in the dedicated camera pocket. It also has great design and lots of space for other things. I can recommend it as it has been carrying my school books and a mamiya c33 every day for a long time!

Old 07-25-2016   #32
mabelsound

I have a 5xb and like it but LOVE the Filson Small Field Bag, if you can find one used. I have Domke inserts in it, and have treated it with Domke's wax as well.

That Ona Bowery looks nice, too!

Old 07-25-2016   #33
Vince Lupo

The Tenba Switch 8 would work -- that's my current 'go to' bag, and it holds one digital M body with a lens, another digital M body (no lens), and two additional lenses stacked.

Old 08-11-2016   #34
giganova

I ended up getting the Ona Bowery in leather (unused on Ebay for $130). Exquisite bag, beautifully finished, nice brass clasps, and the leather is way softer than I expected. Love it!

However, the outside pockets are pathetic. You can barely squeeze a Moleskin notebook into the back pocket, one filter in each of the front pockets OR an iPhone without cover. Nothing will fit into the side pockets, maybe a pen or a thumb drive, if you are lucky. Way too tight. What were they thinking?

Old 08-11-2016   #35
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I ended up getting the Ona Bowery in leather (unused on Ebay for $130). Exquisite bag, beautifully finished, nice brass clasps, and the leather is way softer than I expected. Love it!

However, the outside pockets are pathetic. You can barely squeeze a Moleskin notebook into the back pocket, one filter in each of the front pockets OR an iPhone without cover. Nothing will fit into the side pockets, maybe a pen or a thumb drive, if you are lucky. Way too tight. What were they thinking?
That bag is made for one body + accessories or two bodies with lenses and nothing else. Should have gotten the Prince Street if you wanted more space.

Old 08-11-2016   #36
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

G,

Consider the Domke 803 that is a bookbag. I used the Domke inserts to further pad and protect the two M-bodies held within. Ample pockets for film and filters.

What I like the most about a bookbag styled Domke is that it is kinda urban and does not look like a camera bag; and because it is slim that it lays against my body to avoid fatigue from a counterlevering effect of wider bags.

Cal

Old 08-11-2016   #37
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
That bag is made for one body + accessories or two bodies with lenses and nothing else. Should have gotten the Prince Street if you wanted more space.
I'm not complaining about the size of the bag, I'm complaining about the outer pockets which are entirely useless.

Old 08-11-2016   #38
aizan

all is not lost! you can make up the difference with a shirtjacket.

Old 08-11-2016   #39
Huss

Don't get the Ona Bowery. it is too small....

Get an Oberwerth Munchen. Splurge, you deserve it.

http://www.oberwerth.com/camera-bag-...FUGSfgodZrMG4g

Old 08-11-2016   #40
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I'm not complaining about the size of the bag, I'm complaining about the outer pockets which are entirely useless.
But they are fashionable!