Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina RF

Kodak Retina RF This forum is for the 35mm Kodak Retinas, known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses.

Retina II Preservation
Old 05-13-2016   #1
dazedgonebye

Retina II Preservation

I'm in the process of cleaning out all camera stuff...for the most part. However, I have a Retina II with Auto-Up that is in really excellent condition. It belonged to my Father-in-law, so we are reluctant to give it up. I am considering putting it away as a memento for my 17 year old son to have years from now.
The camera is currently working just fine, but I have heard that these cameras are subject to locking up if not exercised on a regular basis.
My question is, what can I do to preserve this camera in storage for what may be a couple of decades and hope to keep it working?

As I type that, it seems like a silly/impossible request...but, I'll ask anyway.

Any great ideas?

(I should add, this camera had a CLA about 5 years ago)

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 05-13-2016   #2
Peter Jennings

I would think it would be fine due to the recent cla. The grease used in the old days would dry up and harden, but modern synthetic lubricants should be stable for very long time. Just keep it in a cool, dry place.

Old 05-13-2016   #3
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
I would think it would be fine due to the recent cla. The grease used in the old days would dry up and harden, but modern synthetic lubricants should be stable for very long time. Just keep it in a cool, dry place.
That sounds hopeful, thanks.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 05-13-2016   #4
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Storing a camera for a long period of time can create another issue.

Fungus....

To prevent this you'll need to pack it in an airtight container with moisture absorbing agents which you'll want to change out every 6 months for optimal protection...

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-13-2016   #5
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

Or expose it to sunlight regularly. Could you not take it out every 6 months for a roll? Thereby killing the two mentioned issues with one stone?

Old 05-14-2016   #6
dazedgonebye

I can drop some desiccant when I package it up, but it's going to go in to storage long term. I won't be doing any regular maintenance on it.
Fortunately, in AZ, moisture should be the least of my issues.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 05-14-2016   #7
madNbad

If it has a case, package the case separately. Over the last few months I've purchased a IIIc and a IIc. Neither had been used in years but were in very nice condition but did require a CLA to clear the viewfinders and adjust the shutters. In the Pacific Northwest, damp, mold and fungus are much more of a problem than in Arizona.

Old 05-14-2016   #8
Peter Jennings

Yes. Old leather cases are a breeding ground for fungus in damp environments. This shouldn't be an issue in AZ. Also, the linings of these cases often degrade and can turn the camera into a dusty mess. IMHO storing an old camera in its original case is the worst thing you can do.