Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

m8 is still a great camera
Old 04-13-2016   #1
nikonosguy

m8 is still a great camera

I got my m8 about 2 years ago - the price point had dropped from $5000 when they came out new to what was, FOR ME, an acceptable range -- I paid $1800 -- they're now hovering around $1000-$1500 depending on accessories / shutter count, condition...

I love it -- I use it in the studio with strobes and as a daily walk around kit -- I use it as an IR camera, and as my goto rangefinder -- i feel I got my money's worth -- have a good kit of lenses that work for me -- 50/1.2 canon,28/3.5 canon and 90/2.8 elmarit -- my shutter count currently is about 13000 --- plus it's got a cool story behind it...

Old 04-13-2016   #2
kknox

Agreed. I still use mine good value compared to a new M. The B&W straight out of the camera is perfect. The 28mm Elmarit lives on the camera.

Old 04-13-2016   #3
flyingpalm

Second, B&W is very nice.

Old 04-13-2016   #4
jim0266

An acquaintance has an M8.2 he purchased new in 2008. As of January 2016 his M8.2 was still in action with 103,708 shutter activations.

Old 04-14-2016   #5
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosguy View Post
...$1000-$1500 depending on accessories / shutter count, condition...
Where is no other alternative from what I have seen in pictures and read on the internet to explore my Summarit 35 potential on digital and keep RF experience equal to my M4-2. M8 is true RF, better pictures comparing to Epson's with different rendering from CMOS DSLR and modern mirrorless.

The only problem I have with getting of M8 is higher gamble factor. I'm watching M8 coming and going on ebay for the price range you have mentioned. What bothers me are showing up M8 cameras with low shutter count, but for parts due to dead or damaged shutter.

I have a guts feeling what I'll need to save a lot more and for much longer to get 8.2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim0266 View Post
An acquaintance has an M8.2 he purchased new in 2008. As of January 2016 his M8.2 was still in action with 103,708 shutter activations.

Old 04-14-2016   #6
presspass
filmshooter

I've had one since they first came out. It goes out with my film kit in case I need a color photo for work. For most color work, however, I rely on a pair of Canon DSLRs. A good camera, especially since I discovered the discrete shutter release and began using the 160 ISO with a -3 compensation with RAW files, a suggestion made originally on a Leica forum. Both make the camera much more usable.

Old 04-14-2016   #7
fenixv8

I was looking over some older pictures last night. I am really starting to miss the camera, there is a very clear difference in how the M8 and the M240 render pictures. The onlything stopping me from picking one up is the worry of it needing parts that arnt available anymore.

Old 04-14-2016   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

I loved my M8,

Sold it becuase I want to shoot more film,

ill buy another someday.

Sold mine for 900$ with over 50k net about 850$ after all the fees and stuff.

Took a little hit on it, but glad someone will enjoy it while I burn some silver.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-14-2016   #9
Ruffmeister

I'm adding to this too and saying the M8 is a great camera. I got one just before Christmas and its been a joy to shoot with.

Great results from the CCD sensor with both colour and B&W. I occasionally chuck a Hoya IR filter on for some infrared, which also works pretty well

Old 05-14-2016   #10
ray*j*gun

Yep, I love my M8u and i have yet to see a non Monochrome digital that can match the B&W images. The sensor size is fine as well!

Old 05-16-2016   #11
eef

I agree. My M240 is in the shop now (I set it down beside me while out rockhounding, the ground was steeper than I realized I guess, it rolled and cracked the gorilla glass quite badly) so I have been using my M8 again. I was always a 50mm person, but recently I have been trying to be a 35mm person, so for the M8 I set aside my 28 2.8 M ASPH with a UV/IR filter. Put it on, started shooting. Clearly not the camera the 240 is, noisy shutter, noticeably slower to generate previews, and where is the ISO button???

But it seems lighter and handier, and still takes great pictures.

Old 07-10-2016   #12
dee

I have neglected the M8 , having become lazy about AF and a 35 f1.8 for the Sony DSLrs .

I was considering selling what was an inheritance moment of madness .... to buy a couple of X-Po lenses ...but , on reacquaintance , it's now so retro - even in digital terms .

It's set at ISO 320 / monochrome / Amadeo-Contax and Brian Sweeney J3 in Contax mount , with a stunning Helios and Color Scopar 35f2.5.

Yes , it often dies needing the battery to be removed and replaced , but I know the score now .
I will keep it until it dies and becomes an ornament , meanwhile , the literally , BRAND NEW Fuji X-Pro 1 [ £300 body ] will enable my M lenses until I can afford a 35/f2.

emMa8 has a reprieve !

dee
Upstaged by stylish Fuji X-Pro 1 and quirky Pentax K-S1
Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' constant dee'sorientation contained.

Old 07-10-2016   #13
Doug

I use the 21, 25, and 28mm lenses more often on the M8 than on full-frame, so it's still in frequent use. I do like the look of its output. Crisp, and with good color aided by the UV/IR cut filter.

Both my M8 bodies are currently off to New Jersey for checkup/cleaning service, and one has a column fault again.

Old 07-15-2016   #14
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Most of valuable images are displayed as slideshow on our home PC screen. This is why it is somewhat important to have them sharp and crisp. My mother-in-law likes it sharp, contrasty and in-color. I came from work late yesterday and was staying with younger kids, while older ones and my wife were at hospital with my mother-in-law.
I started to look on thousands of pictures from particular cameras I have interest in. I was checking pictures available on Flickr and checking what is going on in the house and outside (heavy rain, soft roof gazebo and our cat).

I looked on pictures taken with R-D1. Sensor seems to be really old on this one.
A7, modern sensor, but something doesn't makes me impressed overall.
X-E2, good colors, but slightly soft.
X20 - crap.
6D surprisingly close to X20.
M9, some portraits are amazing if looking at how skin is rendered. CCD thing.

M8 was about the same with M9. Overall it isn't as good, but it has kind of own colors rendering, similar to scans of color slides. Rich colors, lots of contrast, color range is slightly limited. And to me, yesterday night, M8(M9) were two winners for how naturally sharp images are from this cameras. Sigma, perhaps, beats them for colors and crispiness, but I have no merits to get Sigma camera.

Old 07-15-2016   #15
TennesseJones

What's the story? (or have I missed it?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosguy View Post
I got my m8 about 2 years ago - the price point had dropped from $5000 when they came out new to what was, FOR ME, an acceptable range -- I paid $1800 -- they're now hovering around $1000-$1500 depending on accessories / shutter count, condition...

I love it -- I use it in the studio with strobes and as a daily walk around kit -- I use it as an IR camera, and as my goto rangefinder -- i feel I got my money's worth -- have a good kit of lenses that work for me -- 50/1.2 canon,28/3.5 canon and 90/2.8 elmarit -- my shutter count currently is about 13000 --- plus it's got a cool story behind it...

Old 07-15-2016   #16
nikonosguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseJones View Post
What's the story? (or have I missed it?!)
It used to be seal's m8

Old 10-21-2016   #17
Gustaf

I bought an M8 yesterday!

About 15000 actuations for equiv USD 830. The seller even included an original Leica leather strap!

Overall very good condition. Unfortunately I currently only have access to an old Industar 50/3.5 but am looking for an Ultron 28/2 which feel could be a good match.

Very eager to try it out but light is scarce this time of the year in Sweden...!

Old 10-21-2016   #18
jarski

M8 fan here too, shooting 3 Voigt kit: 15/4.5, 35/1.4 and 75/1.8

Second body would be nice to reduce lens changing.

Old 10-21-2016   #19
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustaf View Post

About 15000 actuations for equiv USD 830. The seller even included an original Leica leather strap!

Overall very good condition...
Deal of the year!

Old 10-21-2016   #21
Fjäll

Quote:

Overall very good condition. Unfortunately I currently only have access to an old Industar 50/3.5 but am looking for an Ultron 28/2 which feel could be a good match.

Very eager to try it out but light is scarce this time of the year in Sweden...!
Va fan!

Where the hell did you pick that one up? I'm all over the place trying to score one! Blocket? Fotosidan? Tradera?

Old 10-21-2016   #22
Gustaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
Va fan!

Where the hell did you pick that one up? I'm all over the place trying to score one! Blocket? Fotosidan? Tradera?
Found it on Blocket

Old 10-22-2016   #23
Austerby

Quote:
am looking for an Ultron 28/2 which feel could be a good match.
It's a brilliant match, it's my standard lens for my M8.

Old 10-22-2016   #24
Steve M.

I don't like digital anything, much less digital B&W (lots of reasons, don't ask, tired of senseless arguments from people who have no idea what film can do), but some of the web files I have seen from the M8 cameras beat anything I have seen from the much more expensive newer digital cameras, Leica or not. Maybe it's the way that the noise in the shots more closely resembles film grain? I'm not sure, but they look about as good as you can get given the limitations. Of course, these were just web images, who knows what the prints look like in real life, but if I were shooting digital B&W this is the route I would go even today.

Old 10-22-2016   #25
ray*j*gun

"I've had an M8 since they first came out. As pointed out earlier, setting the shutter mode to discrete muffles the sound somewhat. There is also a good workaround for the ISO issue. It was first suggested in the Leica forum and works well - set the ISO to 160 and the compensation to -3. It gives the equivalent of 1250 without the digital 'grain' issues. As suggested earlier, shoot RAW only, especially if you ever plan to use the files in color. Mine still works well and it's always in the bag when I take the film Ms out just in case I need a color shot. For the price, it's a great digital choice for M lenses."

The above is great advice for the complaints about shutter noise and high ISO issues. Check out this thread...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=157595

Also if you hold the shutter button down using "discreet" the noise will be delayed until you release. This is especially effective on M8u and M8.2 with firmware updates.