Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

"(My) Afghanistan" is out
Old 03-30-2016   #1
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

"(My) Afghanistan" is out

I finally found time and collected the most significant part of my documentary work from Afghanistan in a self published, 168 color pages book. Mind that it's not the Afghanistan of the news on war or suicide attacks. It's the almost unknown Afghanistan where millions of people struggle to survive in a crumbling landscape (read: landslides, floods and soil erosion).

Unlike for my previous B/W books, I chose not to use Blurb. This enabled a much lower final price for quality color print than it would have been possible with Blurb. As the only drawback, I myself will handle shipping to possible remote buyers. But having only printed 100 copies, it's very feasable.

If interested, you may take a quick inside the book here: http://ilcimento.com/my-books/

ilcimento.com

"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau

Old 03-31-2016   #2
Joao
Negativistic forever

Andrea
PM sent.
What alternative for publishing did you choose instead of Blurb ? Considering the final quality, are they at the same level ?
Thanks
Joao

Old 03-31-2016   #3
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Thanks Joao.

There are actually lots of companies offering a wide variety of printing solutions. For this book, I chose Tecnostampa s.r.l., based near Rome, Italy, and they sent my books here to Norway. Shipping costs were manageable and sensible, additional Norwegian 25% VAT a bit less (they didn't care that some of the copies are given away for free to friends and others are sold but sendt outside the country).

Anyway, the advantage using a local printing company instead of Blurb is that the former offer many more types of paper (generally being willing to send you a free set of sample pritns to help you choose your paper). And it's possible to discuss formats other than their typical ones. Tecnostampa work well and the overall quality is at least on the same level as Blurb's, at least to my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
Andrea
PM sent.
What alternative for publishing did you choose instead of Blurb ? Considering the final quality, are they at the same level ?
Thanks
Joao

ilcimento.com

Old 04-12-2016   #4
Joao
Negativistic forever

Hello
I've just received a copy of Andrea's book and I strongly recommend it. Quite different (and somehow better) than what one expects from a book about Afghanistan. Both colour and black and white photos have a good quality, seldom found in books of this size.
Don't miss it !
Joao

Old 04-12-2016   #5
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
Hello
I've just received a copy of Andrea's book and I strongly recommend it. Quite different (and somehow better) than what one expects from a book about Afghanistan. Both colour and black and white photos have a good quality, seldom found in books of this size.
Don't miss it !
Joao

Thank you Joao. I'm glad you liked my book.

ilcimento.com