Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

35mm lens for M8
Old 03-03-2016   #1
Smitty

35mm lens for M8

Hi All,
I have been looking for a compact but fast 35mm lens to use on my M8.2. Currently using nikkor 2.8cm 3.5, 3.5cm 2.5, and Cannon 50mm 1.4 ltm. These are all in LTM with adapters. I was thinking summilux 35mm pre asph or summicron. Had a 35 asph- to big and clunky, had a Noct - big and clunky. Good at most apertures but so so at f1, so whats the point.
Was told by a Leica dealer today that a pre asph 35 lux would not work on my M8. I don't see the problem..?

Thoughts? Steve

Old 03-03-2016   #2
Doug

I have never had a pre-ASPH Summilux 35 to try on my M8, but I don't know of any reason it shouldn't work fine... My pre-ASPH Summicron v.1 does...

Another of a similar ilk to consider is the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4, comes in both single-coated and multi-coated versions. This Nokton's glass elements are shaped and arranged very much resembling the 8-element Summicron's...

Old 03-12-2016   #3
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I use a LTM Canon 35mm f2 lens on my Ricoh GXR. It's tiny, fast enough, and gives great results. Sadly a Summicron/lux is outside my price range, and I suspect the IQ difference is minimal.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 03-12-2016   #4
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I have never had a pre-ASPH Summilux 35 to try on my M8, but I don't know of any reason it shouldn't work fine... My pre-ASPH Summicron v.1 does...

Another of a similar ilk to consider is the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4, comes in both single-coated and multi-coated versions. This Nokton's glass elements are shaped and arranged very much resembling the 8-element Summicron's...
The Nokton Classic is easily the most-used lens on my M8. I got the MC, because I shot a lot of color. Photoset of pix taken with it:

Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

A few examples:

Lincoln Highway Summit, Wyoming, October 18, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Satiric Dancer, February 26, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Ocean Sunfish, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, CA, October 13, 2011-3 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

At the Summit, Yellowstone National Park, WY, October 07, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Flying Lantern Launch, July 04, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Photo Mola mola, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, CA, October 13, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Old 03-12-2016   #5
maggieo
More Deadly

Oh, and the Voigtländer Ultron 35/1.7 is pretty fantastic, if you can live with the 1m minimum focus.

L'Ebauchoir, September 29, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Dad and Domino, August 31, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Stockholm Tiger, October 07, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Metro, September 30, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Les Halles Metro, September 26, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Boys With Guns, September 25, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Good with color, too:

Bob At Home, September, 2010 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Three Of Each, Paris, September, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Chien Rendezvous, Paris, September, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Old 03-12-2016   #6
Mcary

I have the aperture tab version (1969) of the 35mm Summicron V2 which I consider and tiny/very small lens. Works well as apertures in in my view.
Not work safe

Old 03-12-2016   #7
Leica0Series

My pre-asph Summilux works fine on my M8.2 Some had an issue where the rear shroud would interfere with focusing, but mine doesn't. It's going to be going in the classifieds soon to pay for some other things, although it's probably my favorite lens.

This photo was taken with it on an M8.2:

Leaving the New Mosque by Brett Davis, on Flickr

Leica 24 Elmar
Leica Summicron 50 (11817)

Old 03-12-2016   #8
ernstk
Retro Renaissance

I love my Summilux 35 pre ASPH on both my M8 and M 240. It's a wonderful lens.

The test for the rear shroud obstruction is to very gently try to focus to infinity, when mounted on the M8. If the shroud is fouling, then you won't be able to.

The shroud can be very easily machined to solve the problem.

M-P, M8, M2, 35 Summilux pre ASPH, Summaron 35/2.8, Summicron 50/2 Chrome, CV 21/4
Ricoh GR1s, Ricoh GR Digital

Old 05-01-2016   #9
jazzwave

35/2 Summicron V4, nice small lens, sharp, good bokeh..

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Old 05-16-2016   #10
Ruffmeister

If you have the money then I don't think you can go wrong with the Cron 35mm.

I've been using the Nokton 35mm f1.4 MC and I really like it. I'd read a lot of people slate it and ok, it's not perfect and to some the bokeh is somewhat messy. I on the other hand like it's signature. It's called 'classic' after all.
For how much it is, it's a great, good value lens. I think the thread on this forum does it some good justice.

Another suggestion would be the Zeiss 35mm. I had a Planar 50/2 before getting a 50/2 V4 Cron and it was great. Very sharp and contrasty.

Old 06-29-2016   #11
aaaced

I use 35 summilux preA on my M8. It worked perfectly fine. Finding a series VII UV/IR is not easy though, I use 49mm UV/IR instead, they can be placed in the 12504 hood in the reverse facing way.

Hasselblad 500C/M, SWC, Linhof Technika 70

Old 06-29-2016   #12
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Hi All,
I have been looking for a compact but fast 35mm lens to use on my M8.2. Currently using nikkor 2.8cm 3.5, 3.5cm 2.5, and Cannon 50mm 1.4 ltm. These are all in LTM with adapters. I was thinking summilux 35mm pre asph or summicron. Had a 35 asph- to big and clunky, had a Noct - big and clunky. Good at most apertures but so so at f1, so whats the point.
Was told by a Leica dealer today that a pre asph 35 lux would not work on my M8. I don't see the problem..?

Thoughts? Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I have a pre-ASPH Summilux, and I did use it on my M8.2. The pre-ASPH 35 Lux is very sharp in the center, weak at the edges wide open, and does not fully clean up (in FX) until f/8. But, on the M8.2, the extreme edges are not used, and the cropped area makes use of the best part of the lens's field of view. So it's a contender.

I don't have the VC Nokton 35mm, but I do have the 40mm. I understand the 35 is designed to render more like an older lens with "atmosphere" rather than critical sharpness. (See Steve Gandy's comments about this on the Cameraquest website.) My 40, on the other hand, is sharp, and quite usable wide open. I use it at times instead of a 35. I altered mine to bring up the 35mm framelines, which are a virtually perfect match for the 40mm at my usual working distances.

Old 08-31-2016   #13
kiromn

I would suggest Voigtlander 35mm/1.2 v2. It has great sharpness wide open and beautifull bokeh.
Other good option is Summicron C 40/2. Very good and tiny lens indeed.

Best Regards,
Kiril

Old 08-31-2016   #14
Roger Hicks

My 1982 Summilux works fine on my M8.

Expensive lens, though, nowadays.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-31-2016   #15
doolittle

Don't rule the 35mm Summarit 2.5 out. Great compact size, only half a stop from the summicron, rendering a little less clinical and available used for reasonable prices as they tend to get passed by.

fixerofshadows.blogspot.com

Old 08-31-2016   #16
ktmrider

Well, I have the 35f2.8 C Biogon and the 35f1.2 Nokton but you already have lenses of f2.8 and seem to want something faster. And you said small which the 35f1.2 is NOT.

It is hard to beat the Voightlanders: either the 35f1.4 Nokton for $629 or the 35f1.7 ASPH Ultron for $979. I own a bunch of M glass from Zeiss, Voightlander, and Leica and honestly can't see much difference in the optics which would justify Leica prices these days. Have not owned other Zeiss lenses so cannot recommend although I am sure they are great in their own right.

Odd question...
Old 09-11-2016   #17
tomcasey
Home Run Pictures

Question Odd question...

I was somewhat surprised to see you comment that the 35mm asph was clunky. I got one when I originally purchased my M8 and just love it. I shoot a lot of multi-image panoramas and the edge sharpness is just great. But as for the clunkiness, I assume I'm just spoiled with the smaller rangefinder in general since most of my shooting previously was with Nikon SLRs and that is what I would call clunky.

Old 09-11-2016   #18
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzwave View Post
35/2 Summicron V4, nice small lens, sharp, good bokeh..
What I use also. ASPH version on the M9

Old 09-11-2016   #19
ZivcoPhoto

35mm Voigtlander Color Skopar F2.5 works well on M8 with great color...very compact and lightweight[IMG]ATWOOD AGAVE by Atwood90, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2016   #20
reiserFS

I happen to use the Nokton 1.4 on my M8 and it's a damn great small lens. I don't see how people can call the bokeh of the Nokton "bad".