Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital Compacts

New 1 inch sensor cameras from Nikon
Old 02-23-2016   #1
GaryLH

New 1 inch sensor cameras from Nikon

http://www.dpreview.com/news/4699776...1-type-sensors

I think they missed the mark again myself. The two compact wide to medium zooms don't have an evf. They seem to be target to the Sony rx competition, but I don't see a evf in the product shots.

U want an evf, u need to pay xtra for the optional attachment.. With the specs and cost, this would not be your typical consumer p&s.

Gary

Old 02-23-2016   #2
Timmyjoe

Saw them earlier today. Not my cup of tea. Was hoping for a Nikon 1 V4 to replace my aging V2's, but not looking too good in that department.

Also noticed that only the Wide Angle camera has the Nano coating on the lens. The way Nikon introduced the three of them, it seemed like they all had it. But not so.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-23-2016   #3
Archiver

Want want want the 18-50. After years of shooting with wide angle lenses and cameras, the thought of an 18mm f1.8 eq. lens is thrilling, especially in a small camera. This is exactly my kind of camera.

Old 02-23-2016   #4
GaryLH

Got to admit the 18-50f1.8-2.8 fov zoom is quite a unique offering. Looks like it will set u back 889 bucks w/o the optional ovf.

Gary

Correction misread 849 not 899

Old 02-23-2016   #5
btgc

1"-type sensor, physically smaller than 1" diagonal. But these days they have learned to squeeze out lots of them.

Old 02-23-2016   #6
jarski

Agreed such wide angle on compact is uncommon and could be useful. Two other models seem Nikon copying Canon that already copied Sony.

Old 02-23-2016   #7
kuvvy

The 18-50 appeals. Tend to use lenses within that range anyway. Lets see how it performs. Best start saving.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 02-24-2016   #8
AlexBG

The 18-50 would suit me perfectly, bit confused about how the zoom is going to work, there looks to be a rocker as well as a selector around the lens. Then another ring around the lens for aperture/shutter speed. If they give you the option to change what the rocker does that would be great, think I need to have a play with this and see if I can get along with the controls.

Old 02-24-2016   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

It does not look that well for Nikon 1 when they present a set of fixed-lens cameras in the same niche as the top range 1, where a update has been long overdue. An intermediate step in the process of switching to a more competitive EVIL sensor format? Or have they given up?

Old 02-24-2016   #10
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
It does not look that well for Nikon 1 when they present a set of fixed-lens cameras in the same niche as the top range 1, where a update has been long overdue. An intermediate step in the process of switching to a more competitive EVIL sensor format? Or have they given up?
Who cares? It's a different style of camera.

Old 02-24-2016   #11
willie_901

Poor old Nikon... they just refuse to do the smart thing.

Now we have yet another Nikon product with an obsolete sensor area for no reason whatsoever.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-24-2016   #12
jsrockit

I don't understand the hate. Sony's versions of these types of cameras do pretty well. Nikon's look pretty good. Obsolete?

Old 02-24-2016   #13
CK Dexter Haven

I don't understand the interest in small sensor cameras. Without depth of field control, all the images look like they came out of cell phone cameras. F1.8 on a 28mm EQUIVALENT lens? What is the point when ISOs go so high?

Can someone show me examples of good photography where these types of cameras are employed? Maybe I'm just recalling my two failed experiences, with the first gen canon g2, and the the later Panny LXsomething, but they both left me as flat as the resulting fields.

Old 02-24-2016   #14
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I don't understand the hate.
Maybe not hate but frustration of one of major brands to settle doing me-too products.

Old 02-24-2016   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
I don't understand the interest in small sensor cameras. Without depth of field control, all the images look like they came out of cell phone cameras.
Well, they can look better, by having better lenses. So far, even the best telephones don't really resolve anything beyond 8MP, and most are deficient in contrast way before that. And I don't think that long DOF is inevitably flawed - indeed, it is a reason for which I sometimes pick a small sensor camera.

Old 02-24-2016   #16
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
Maybe not hate but frustration of one of major brands to settle doing me-too products.
As I said, I think there must be some strategy behind it...

Old 02-24-2016   #17
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
Really? Who else has a 1" sensor P&S with a 18-50mm equiv lens?

Old 02-24-2016   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
I don't understand the interest in small sensor cameras. Without depth of field control, all the images look like they came out of cell phone cameras.
Not all photos require shallow depth of field.

Quote:
F1.8 on a 28mm EQUIVALENT lens? What is the point when ISOs go so high?
Depth of field (at least in closer ranges) and shooting at night handheld.

Quote:
Can someone show me examples of good photography where these types of cameras are employed? Maybe I'm just recalling my two failed experiences, with the first gen canon g2, and the the later Panny LXsomething, but they both left me as flat as the resulting fields.
Define good photography and you do realize that these cameras are A LOT different than the cameras you are referencing right?

Old 02-24-2016   #19
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I had the Nikon V3. It was the best digital camera for daytime street photography I've owned. Brilliant image quality and focusing quickness unmatched by anything else I've used. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the DL models and will likely go for the 18-50.

If you haven't used one of these little 1-inch sensored cameras, you've got to check them out. Borrow one from a friend and spend a few days with it. They are a true sweet spot in digital camera fare. Great for the streets and perfect family cameras too.

Old 02-24-2016   #20
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
I think the disappointment is due to Nikon not offering these lenses for their existing P&S system.

Old 02-24-2016   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
I think the disappointment is due to Nikon not offering these lenses for their existing P&S system.
Well, who's to say they won't?

Old 02-24-2016   #22
GaryLH

The Panasonic LX3 was the first camera to show me what a well matched lens to sensor can accomplish. My only complaint w/ the two compacts us they decided not to include an evf..

While they are following the rest of the one inch pack w/ this release, they came out w/ something totally different in the 18-50 that I missed initially until I was corrected.

For me, my initial reaction was really about disappointment about not entering the market w/ a apsc or FF csc. Steve Jobs once said that he would rather cannibalize his own product line then let a competitor bring a product that will... At this point only Canon has an apsc csc..

Of the 3 new offerings, the 18-50 does look the most interesting..

Gary

Old 02-24-2016   #23
GaryLH

iPhone doesn't have a 1 inch sensor. The only smart phone w/ a truly big sensor is Panasonic cm1 which is also a 1 inch sensor. 1 inch buys u better dynamic range and higher ISO.

For the unique 15-50 version, current price is 949.

That being said, the predominance of the p&s user would agree w/ u, might as well use a smartphone for that price --> so peace.

Gary

Old 02-24-2016   #24
michaelwj
----------------

I find the 18-50 model quite appealing, but will be a small niche seller. I hope that the focal length selector is relatively fast, waiting to zoom off the wide end on startup would be a deal breaker. It may be okay when starting at 28, but 18 is not your everyday family grab shot length, and it would really p**s me off waiting too long to get to 28 or 35 to take a shot.

I don't mind the lack of an EVF, I'm used to using the iPhone screen for casual photography, and if it had an included EVF, it's unlikely to be a really nice one - it'd be a dinky little peep hole. I'd prefer the option of a higher quality clip on (assuming it is higher quality).

The 24-85 is competing with a lot already proven and out there. Hard to get any traction over the sony/panasonic offerings. Not interested.

The big one - am I the only one who can not imagine ever using one of these things? They just look so unwieldy, and are hardly pocketable - you'd need a decent bag.

Thats just my 2c though.

Old 02-24-2016   #25
taemo

if they produce dslr like IQ then the 18-50 would be a great for landscape, i thought about the RX100 series but IQ didnt impress me which im worried this might be the same

Old 02-24-2016   #26
GaryLH

All these 1 inch sensor cameras..doesn't matter whose is a compromise between quality, conveince of the small package, and dynamic range.

The best image quality u will get is if the lens is really well tuned to the sensor and your shooting a base ISO. Whether it is good enough is going to be an individual call. For me, none of these 1 inch sensor cameras are a match to my landscape camera of choice a Sigma Foveon camera (Merrill or Quattro)..but they will do in a pinch from my perspective..because at the end of the day as the saying goes -

"The best camera is the one u using now!!"

I look at this category (rx100 like) as mainly the small enough everyday carry camera for those that want something better than the smart phone camera.

Gary

Old 02-24-2016   #27
Cameron
Shoot me, not film

I just bought an RX100 II and the comments about how these types are nothing better than a smartphone have me worried

Old 02-24-2016   #28
emraphoto

Handled two of the new Nikon compacts and they are pretty solid offerings actually. Blazing fast, excellent video implementation and modular (external Mic, viewfinder etc).

For some folks, me included, things like narrow dof, bokeh and sensor size are pretty far down the priority list. I think they make very viable journalism tools and I'm looking forward to test driving a couple in the near future

Old 02-24-2016   #29
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
I just bought an RX100 II and the comments about how these types are nothing better than a smartphone have me worried
If u are talking about my comment..sorry I didn't mean that. As I said in an earlier post here - no smartphone outside of the Panasonic cm1 has a big 1 inch sensor.

One inch sensor will do better than any smartphone camera except the mentioned Panasonic cm1. They do better in terms of dynamic range, high ISO specifically. The are smartphones that at base ISO and a well match lens to sensor combo that will do as good in terms of image quality, but the majority will not.

What I was trying to say is that these cameras are not a replacement for the bigger sensor cameras, but a compromise in convenience where in most cases better than the smartphone camera..

I used a rx100mk1 for over two years over my iPhone camera for this reason plus I'm not a fan if 28fov. I always crop to 40ish when using a 28fov fixed lenses camera.

Gary

Old 02-24-2016   #30
Cameron
Shoot me, not film

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
If u are talking about my comment..sorry I didn't mean that. As I said in an earlier post here - no smartphone outside of the Panasonic cm1 has a big 1 inch sensor.

One inch sensor will do better than any smartphone camera except the mentioned Panasonic cm1. They do better in terms of dynamic range, high ISO specifically. The are smartphones that at base ISO and a well match lens to sensor combo that will do as good in terms of image quality, but the majority will not.

What I was trying to say is that these cameras are not a replacement for the bigger sensor cameras, but a compromise in convenience where in most cases better than the smartphone camera..

I used a rx100mk1 for over two years over my iPhone camera for this reason plus I'm not a fan if 28fov. I always crop to 40ish when using a 28fov fixed lenses camera.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I'm not extremely worried about it, especially because I'm getting the camera for a great price. This will be my first digital camera in years, I've been all film for a long time, but just wanted something compact and high quality. The iPhone does great, but I'm sure I'll have a more enjoyable experience with a Sony.

Old 02-24-2016   #31
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Not all photos require shallow depth of field.

Depth of field (at least in closer ranges) and shooting at night handheld.

Define good photography and you do realize that these cameras are A LOT different than the cameras you are referencing right?
Didn't suggest ALL photos require anything. I'm only surprised that, in 2016, there is interest among 'real photographers,' in cameras that don't give you a choice, when there are alternatives not significantly larger or more expensive.

DOF at close ranges.... Theoretically. Maybe. A little.

Define good photography? That wasn't an argumentative question. I'd like to see examples based on the criteria of people who like these types of cameras. As I said - I tried a couple and was always disappointed. I'm hoping to be educated by one of the advocates. And,inherent in that request is the recognition that someone, somewhere is doing good hints with them. I just hate the limitations. I'd like to see how someone has worked well within those limits and produced something that doesn't look like a cell phone picture.

Old 02-24-2016   #32
Cameron
Shoot me, not film

Quote:
Didn't suggest ALL photos require anything. I'm only surprised that, in 2016, there is interest among 'real photographers,' in cameras that don't give you a choice, when there are alternatives not significantly larger or more expensive.

DOF at close ranges.... Theoretically. Maybe. A little.

Define good photography? That wasn't an argumentative question. I'd like to see examples based on the criteria of people who like these types of cameras. As I said - I tried a couple and was always disappointed. I'm hoping to be educated by one of the advocates. And,inherent in that request is the recognition that someone, somewhere is doing good hints with them. I just hate the limitations. I'd like to see how someone has worked well within those limits and produced something that doesn't look like a cell phone picture.
I'll get back to you when I receive mine

Old 02-24-2016   #33
Mark T

I like the look of these. I like the bright aperture and the macro ability. I'm also glad for the lack of EVF. I know, people like to look "professional" and all. However, I'd rather be discreet and no EVF means a smaller camera. EVF or no, the pictures will look the same. It's cheaper than the Sony too, is it not? All round, it looks pretty good to me.

Old 02-24-2016   #34
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I like the look of these. I like the bright aperture and the macro ability. I'm also glad for the lack of EVF. I know, people like to look "professional" and all. However, I'd rather be discreet and no EVF means a smaller camera. EVF or no, the pictures will look the same. It's cheaper than the Sony too, is it not? All round, it looks pretty good to me.
The issue is always wash out from bright sunlight when shooting outdoors. The new LCD displays are getting better, I must admit. When shooting slow shutter speeds, an evf like position helps steady the shot vs using an LCD viewpoint. though it is partially mitigated by image stabilization when using the LCD approach.

Gary

Old 02-25-2016   #35
fireblade
Vincenzo.

For what they are, (the 2 DL models), overpriced.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 02-25-2016   #36
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
$649

That's a lot of money for an iPhone without GPS, or Google Maps.
Come on, you know it's not an iPhone sensor.

Old 02-25-2016   #37
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
For what they are, (the 2 DL models), overpriced.
Vs. what? ...

Old 02-25-2016   #38
emraphoto

For some folks, myself included (again), content is king. All the inherent strengths of a large sensor are of little value or interest. Fast, discreet and compact are the top requirements.

I have been using point and shoots, some with much smaller sensors, professionally for quite some time and I have never had an outlet turn down my work due to a lack of perceived quality.

Horses for courses as they say.

One of the newest Magnum nominees shoots a 1 inch sensor compact frequently. As do a few members. The quality of the work is not hindered as far as I can see.

Old 02-25-2016   #39
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Damn cool looking, I might add. The 18-50 appeals and looks like a lot of fun to have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 02-25-2016   #40
taemo

the 18-50 has definitely piqued my interest, assuming its sensor is the same one on the J5, it might work for me.
curious to see the price for the optional DF-E1 viewfinder and AF performance.

fortunately the camera doesn't come out until end of June/early July so plenty of time for me to think