24/25mm lens for A7s query?
Old 01-17-2016   #1
Peter David Grant

24/25mm lens for A7s query?

Hi guys,

I'm after some advice for adapted lenses on an A7s.

Currently I've got a cheap M to E adapter, and put a Leica 35/2 lens on the A7, but I'm looking for something wider, while leaving the 35 on an MM. The focus seems off sometimes, which I think is due to the quality of the adapter (e.g. I focus, and the adapter moves a little, putting the focus out).

So, I'm looking for a 24 or 25mm lens to shoot on the A7s. It can be an M lens, and I'll get a better adapter (so I could use it on the M if needed) or another mount completely with adapter. I want to stick with Manual focus lenses (and ones designed to be) and my budget is about £500 total (adapter+lens).

My thoughts are currently: 25mm F4 VM (No Finder) - Voigtlander + Voigtlander VM to Sony E Close Focus Lens Adaptor...

Love to know your thoughts,
Peter

Work In Progress: An Unseen Oxford is an ongoing a documentary photography project based in and around the City of Oxford that aims to look behind the known or seen and find people and activities which most residents and visitors wouldn’t notice or realise they were there. Its goal is to remind us of the things we so easily take for granted.

Old 01-17-2016   #2
mabelsound

An SLR lens might get you better corners: how about the Pentax 24mm f/2.8 or the OM 24mm f/2? The latter, especially, seems to be a perennial favorite on film, and is quite a bit faster to boot.

Old 01-17-2016   #3
kuuan
plays with lenses

if f2.8 is alright for you than imo the OM 2.8/24 is the best choice. and better get the later version that has multi coating, it either says MC or Zuiko 'only', not the single coated 'H-Zuiko"
the Pentax K is very good too, has the more sturdy build might even have the better coating, but corner performance, if this is of importance, is a bit weaker and it's a bit heavier and bigger.
Rokkor 2.8/24 is another favourite, great lens, the Nikkor 2.8/24 is also very good, both a bit bigger again, the later has great colours ( but that could be personal ) but the most distortion.
If talking f2 there also is the fantastic Pentax f2/28, optically identical to the 2/28 Distagon but smaller, lighter and much cheaper
Of the mentioned f2 I don't have personal experience, of the f2.8 I do. Of course there also is the Distagon, and I read that the Konica AR 2.8/24 is very good too.

Old 01-17-2016   #4
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuan View Post
If talking f2 there also is the fantastic Pentax f2/28, optically identical to the 2/28 Distagon but smaller, lighter and much cheaper
Cheaper, but hardly what you'd call cheap! And rare, too. I've always wanted to try one.

Old 01-17-2016   #5
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Cheaper, but hardly what you'd call cheap! And rare, too. I've always wanted to try one.
right! not cheap, cheaper is relative to the Zeiss only
and..I am just at a marriage party and drunk..so the 28mm came in, sorry for that. I hope that my other infos are right though ( will check again tomorrow ) )
the CV 4/25 is very good, but the corners on any A7 camera aren't, any SLR lens fares better

Old 01-17-2016   #6
taemo

M/LTM lenses will definitely give you the size advantage but unfortunately you might get color shift in the corners.
Nikon 24mm AI-S or Olympus 24mm would be your other choices

Old 01-17-2016   #7
Peter David Grant

Thanks for the replies! Enjoy the party kuuan!

So when you're all talking about corner performance, is this only with regards to colour shifting? I perhaps should have mentioned that I shoot exclusively in B&W. Does that basically mean I can ignore lack of 'corner performance' in any lens selections?

Kuuan, does that mean this lens: http://www.ffordes.com/product/15090312540531 would be multi-coated?

Thanks all!
Peter

Work In Progress: An Unseen Oxford is an ongoing a documentary photography project based in and around the City of Oxford that aims to look behind the known or seen and find people and activities which most residents and visitors wouldn’t notice or realise they were there. Its goal is to remind us of the things we so easily take for granted.

Old 01-17-2016   #8
mabelsound

Most adapted rangefinder wides get kinda smeary, i.e., blurry in the corners, on mirrorless cameras. They're not accustomed to the thick glass that covers digital sensors. The A7s is purportedly the best of the bunch for this, though (with the exception of the Leica Ms of course). If you're not fussy about corner performance, an M-mount wide will work fine, especially in B&W. SLR wides were designed with the rear element further away from the film plane, though, resulting in less oblique rays of light to the corners, and so generally do better penetrating the sensor cover glass.

Old 01-17-2016   #9
ColSebastianMoran

Thanks, Kuuan, for the flickr link with samples for many of these lenses.

Kuuan, the link in your sig doesn't work for me. Here's one to Kuuan's sample images that should work for anyone:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/c...7604973031858/

Here's a sample image from me, Olympus Zuiko 24mm 1:2.8 on a Sony A7. Handheld, f/5.6 1/60th, ISO 1600. Nothing precise here, lighting uneven, etc. But, it will give an idea of the sharpness and the modest distortion (some "mustache", Lightroom Distortion +8, or tell Lightroom it's a "Nikkor 24 f/2.8D").

I like this lens on the A7.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-17-2016   #10
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter David Grant View Post
Kuuan, does that mean this lens: http://www.ffordes.com/product/15090312540531 would be multi-coated?
Peter, according the listing here, the multi-coated versions of the 24 f/2.8 start at S/N 185300.

Edit: The Fordes lens is a 24mm f/2.0; I wrote in error earlier thinking it was an f/2.8.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Last edited by ColSebastianMoran : 01-17-2016 at 18:40. Reason: Correct my error. Link was to an f/2.0 lens, not f/2.8.

Old 01-17-2016   #11
ColSebastianMoran

Here's my lens. It's tiny! Same size as the OM-E adapter! Quite different in shape at the front vs. the lens linked at Fordes.

Old 01-17-2016   #12
taemo

Quote:

So when you're all talking about corner performance, is this only with regards to colour shifting? I perhaps should have mentioned that I shoot exclusively in B&W. Does that basically mean I can ignore lack of 'corner performance' in any lens selections?

Thanks all!
Peter
it gets really soft/smeared in the corners with wider lenses.
here's my CV21mm on the M240
L1009932 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
L1008846 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

I've also owned the CV25mm LTM and used it on the M9 couple of years ago and found it to be a decent performer, regret selling this lens to be honest as it didnt exhibit any color shift or soft corners so it might be a decent light performer on the A7s
Test shot with Snapshot Skopar 25mm by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
L1002512 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Old 01-17-2016   #13
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:

Thanks all!
Peter
1: thank's a lot! by now more drunk again, but I just left the party and hopefully I'm not too drunk and will write nonsense
2: no, there also is loss of sharpness usually referred to as 'smearing'. might not disturb for the majority of photos, but...for some it will ( link to my pics taken with the CV 4/25, the first some 30 seen on Sony A7, below )
3: since it only says 'Zuiko', even though Sebastian says it's not, I am rather sure that the f2/24 you linked must be multicoated. I believe that he got the serial numbers confused wit those of the f2.8 version ( ha, not all that drunk! )
according to this very good Olympus source, but in German, there actually isn't any single coated but only multi coated versions of the f2/24mm: http://olypedia.de/Zuiko_Auto-W_1:2/24_mm (phhu, good I found out, I have a OM 2/28 I haven't seen but had bought waiting for me back in Austria )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
Thanks, Kuuan, for the flickr link with samples for many of these lenses.

Kuuan, the link in your sig doesn't work for me. Here's one to Kuuan's sample images that should work for anyone:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/c...7604973031858/

..]
ohhhh, my links didn't work! thank you VERY much for that Sebastian!! and happy that you find my samples useful
just corrected that and put the links in a crude but hopefully working form.

at the link you provided that leads to all my 'albums' of manual lenses, in order from wide to long, and photos taken with them, samples of the mentioned 2.8/24 lenses can be seen. However most had been taken on APS-C sensor cameras, only the first 24 photos seen ( 24 right now, soon it will be more, incl. some of tonights party ) in the album of the OM 2.8/24 were taken on FF Sony A7: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/...7633627307747/

in comparison the 'album' with the photos taken with the CV 4/25 you are interested in. Right now about the first 30 seen had been taken on FF Sony A7, the rest on APS-C ( the first one taken on APS-C is the mirrorimage showing my hand and a 'tube' ): https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/...7633352494287/

Old 01-17-2016   #14
kuuan
plays with lenses

check out the size difference of a bunch of 2.8/24mm SLR lenses with their respective Sony E mount adapter:

24mm lenses + NEX adapter
by andreas, on Flickr

from left to right: MC W-Rokkor, Nikkor-NC Auto, Takumar ( it's a f3.5 ), Pentax K and the one to the right is the Om Zuiko

Old 01-17-2016   #15
newst

Might I also suggest checking out the Konica Hexanon AR 2.8/24mm.

Old 01-18-2016   #16
Peter David Grant

Perfect, thanks a lot for all the advice, it has been really useful.

kuuan, I checked out some of your photographs with the OM on FF, and they looked great, thanks for the links.

I'm going to go with an SLR lens instead of an M mount b/c of the corners, don't like the sound of smearing, and the OM's seems like a good choice too.

Thanks again all!

Old 01-18-2016   #17
kuuan
plays with lenses

most welcome Peter!
I am confident it's a good choice, also see: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/index.html

Old 01-18-2016   #18
mabelsound

post some photos from whatever you end up with!

Old 01-18-2016   #19
Michalm

Ultron 21 1.8 VM lens would be my first choice if it is not too wide , it behaves like slr in the corners .

Old 01-18-2016   #20
ColSebastianMoran

Just one more thought: The OM 24mm f/2.8 is a good lens, but I don't know that it's that much better than other SLR lenses, except for being smaller.

Old 01-18-2016   #21
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:
Just one more thought: The OM 24mm f/2.8 is a good lens, but I don't know that it's that much better than other SLR lenses, except for being smaller.

according to my own tests but performed on APS-C sensor, and according to the test at 16-9 linked above on Canon FF it most likely is.
if wanted an f2 I read ( don't have the lens ) that's not too expensive but said to be very good Canon comes in

Old 01-20-2016   #22
Peter David Grant

One final question: Kuuan, or anyone else, do you have a suggested adapter to go from OM to E?

Just going to buy the lens now.

Peter

Old 01-20-2016   #23
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:
One final question: Kuuan, or anyone else, do you have a suggested adapter to go from OM to E?

Just going to buy the lens now.

Peter
hm..I may be the wrong person to ask as I am sure that others would warn against this. I have read reports again and again that it 'also' happened that an adapter from a more expensive brand had been worse than a cheap one. My strategy therefore has been to just to buy the cheapest one I could find from China on ebay and if it's not good enough to simply buy a different one. That have been some 20+ different adapters in total for Sony E, Leica M and Pentax K mounts. I have been happy with all of them but two, a Pen-F>E mount adapter which only fit some but not all lenses, and that, as I had to find out, was because the Pen-F lenses have, most surprisingly, two variations of bajonets, and a Leica M>E mount adapter, the only one which was not just the cheapest but from a bit reputed brand, which simply was too tight.

can't recommend the seller I had bought my OM>E mount adapter from because right now he isn't offering any

Old 01-20-2016   #24
ColSebastianMoran

Just to confirm, Kuuan was right about the Fordes lens. It's an f/2 and it is multi-coated.

Adapters: If you want to scale-focus, you'll want one that's quite precise. In any case, you want one that will reach to infinity. I never scale-focus, so I have been using cheap adapters with good success.

Old 01-20-2016   #25
johnwolf

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Voigtlander 25. If have the first version and used it for the brief time I had an A7. It's not RF coupled but focuses on the Sonys.

The thing I like about it, and the reason I have kept it, is because of the focus click stops at 1m, 1.5m and 3m for working hyperfocally. Love that feature.

I shoot all BW, so wasn't concerned about color shift, if there even was any. It's also tiny and has a focus tab.

John

Old 01-20-2016   #26
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Voigtlander 25. If have the first version and used it for the brief time I had an A7. It's not RF coupled but focuses on the Sonys.

The thing I like about it, and the reason I have kept it, is because of the focus click stops at 1m, 1.5m and 3m for working hyperfocally. Love that feature.

I shoot all BW, so wasn't concerned about color shift, if there even was any. It's also tiny and has a focus tab.

John
John Peter had specifically asked about this lens in his original query and there had been mention of it a few times and I linked to my photos I had taken with it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuan View Post
in comparison the 'album' with the photos taken with the CV 4/25 you are interested in. Right now about the first 30 seen had been taken on FF Sony A7, the rest on APS-C ( the first one taken on APS-C is the mirrorimage showing my hand and a 'tube' ): https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/...7633352494287/
I have been defending this lens for use on an A7 but many don't agree and therefore I have become hesitant to recommend it. Corners are critical but it really depends on personal use and views, I think best for anyone is to view samples and see for himself

Old 01-20-2016   #27
ColSebastianMoran

Kuuan, I am jealous of all the color in your locations! Very nice shots in these sample albums.
Thank you for the samples.

Old 01-20-2016   #28
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:
Kuuan, I am jealous of all the color in your locations! Very nice shots in these sample albums.
Thank you for the samples.
thank you for the thumbs up Colonel These had been taken in the colourful places Bali and Vietnam with lot's of sun. - which actually makes the use of old lenses, which I like, a bit tricky at times but the CV, being a rather modern lens is doing great and in this respect has an advantage over the OM. I feel a bit guilty of not having recommended the CV, it really is a fantastic lens and as I had written earlier about the colour shift resp. corner problematic: "there also is loss of sharpness usually referred to as 'smearing'. might not disturb for the majority of photos, but...for some it will". Good corners are the biggest advantage of the OM and it's up for the user to decide which factors are decisive for him.

Old 01-21-2016   #29
Peter David Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
post some photos from whatever you end up with!
Will do! It arrives tomorrow, along with a cheap adapter from Amazon. I never scale focus, and frankly the peaking is so good on the Sony, I don't think it'll matter.

ColSebastianMoran thanks for confirmation of MC! It should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks again! I'll post some pictures here once I've taken anything of worth with it!

Peter

Old 01-23-2016   #30
Peter David Grant

Hey all,

Lens and adapter arrived yesterday. Seems good, need to get used to focusing with it, but shouldn't take to long.

Hopefully soon I'll do some documentary stuff with it, I'm due to spend a day in a train cab with a driver, so will be better than a 35mm for the cramped conditions, but for now here are four from a quick walk around Oxford this morning: