Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Poor experience with Japan Exposures
Old 12-08-2015   #1
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Angry Poor experience with Japan Exposures

About a month ago, Nov 3rd, I bought two books from Japan Exposures, we're talking about 120CAD. Quickly got a confirmation mail saying "processing" but nothing after. After the expected time for delivery with SAL had elapsed, just under 3 weeks, I still haven't received anything nor heard from them.

I sent them an email requesting updates, no answer.
I sent them another email which also went unacknowledged.
I opened a case with Paypal, I get an automated email from Japan Exposures outside the paypal resolution centre telling me the order was cancelled (huh ?) and that a refund had been applied. No refund was applied.
I escalated to a claim with Paypal, finally someone from Japan Exposures emails me saying the package never shipped because one book was back ordered. I said I wasn't interested anymore, that the order was cancelled anyway, just apply the refund already.
Finally today, Dec 8, I see the refund in my PayPal.

What a frustrating experience, last time I deal with them. Anyone else had such problems with these guys ?

Website Flickr Insta

Old 12-08-2015   #2
jsrockit

Sounds like simple miscommunication. The Japanese stores I've dealt with are the epitome of great customer service. It happens.

Old 12-08-2015   #3
tocalosh

Lauffray, your experience sounds almost identical to one that I had with them. Communication was very poor, I ended up cancelling the order and ordering else were. Luckily there are a number of outstanding photography bookshops in Japan who ship worldwide. Try sobooks.jp or shashasha.co, if they haven't got the book you want I'm sure they will try and source it for you.

Old 12-08-2015   #4
aizan

i would have just waited. **** happens with supply lines all the time, but they get worked out eventually.

Old 12-08-2015   #5
pan

Hi,

I had also some problems with Japan Exposure few years ago.

They get the cash and they don't reply to emails.

Very important to know : This business is run by westerners living in Japan. No sense of service as Japanese people does have.

Good luck to you.

Pan

Old 12-08-2015   #6
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan View Post
very important to know : This business is run by westerners living in Japan. No sense of service as Japanese people does have.
That is an important distinction, I've often dealt with shashasha and their service was exemplary. Anyway, lesson learned

Website Flickr Insta

Old 12-08-2015   #7
Nokton48

Five years ago Dirk ran all over the place for me, and gathered up Fuji 400 B&W Instant film as it was being discontinued. That was a good experience, but some time ago.

Old 12-08-2015   #8
splitimageview

Dirk no longer lives in Japan.

Old 12-08-2015   #9
segedi
RFicianado

I had a good experience with them with a lens, the MS-Optical Super-triplet Perar 35mm. The lens went wonky after many months of use and the focus was way off. I sent it back for repairs and it came back as new. Cost of repair? Nothing.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 12-08-2015   #10
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by segedi View Post
I had a good experience with them with a lens, the MS-Optical Super-triplet Perar 35mm. The lens went wonky after many months of use and the focus was way off. I sent it back for repairs and it came back as new. Cost of repair? Nothing.
Miyazaki-san of MS Optics is great like that. He's also repaired equipment for me at no charge long after I purchased it (not necessarily directly from him).

Old 12-08-2015   #11
Georgiy Romanov
stray cat

I make an order twice in last year from JE. Both times it took from three to four months before I recived my books and both times I have a bad conversation expirence with them. Try to avoid JapanExposures in the future. Honestly. Save your time and health.

Old 12-09-2015   #12
NY_Dan

Not surprised.

Old 02-27-2016   #13
tedium

I have had a really strange experience . Have ordered three times from them got the last two but not the first . Emailed several times but no reply. So asked for refund just waiting to see how that goes. Not the best experience .

Japan Exposures
Old 02-27-2016   #14
doubledan

Japan Exposures

I used to find Japan Exposures very responsive to inquiries about books, replacement parts and such, but in the last year or so they seem to have fallen asleep at the wheel. Specifically, I wanted to have a black Contax G 90mm lens converted to M mount, and I sent them at least four emails asking how to go about shipping my lens there to have the work done. Not one reply.
Some good came of it. The lack of response led me to look elsewhere. I found a Chinese technician in California, d.b.a. Rework-Lens, who did a beautiful job (apparently using Fotodiox components that I had not known existed). It cost all of $330, with an amazing turnaround time of seven days. The G 90 works smoothly and gives great results on M film cameras and, with an adapter, on my Sony a7 and a6000 bodies as well.

Old 06-16-2016   #15
K_iwi

I've been waiting for 12 months for three books that haven't arrived (though earlier orders were OK), and they won't reply to my emails either. The same things has happened to a photographer friend of mine too.

I strongly recommend that people avoid this business. They are either completely incompetent or dishonest.

Old 08-01-2016   #16
kiss-o-matic

I emailed to ask about some books before hand and picking them up in Japan. That didn't work out timing wise, but he was able to ship them SAL and they arrived 2-3 weeks later. This was back in April.