Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina RF

Kodak Retina RF This forum is for the 35mm Kodak Retinas, known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses.

Filters on a Retina IIIc
Old 11-14-2015   #1
Tim Murphy

Filters on a Retina IIIc

Dear Board,

I apologize if this has been covered before because I've had no luck in finding the answer.

I recently purchased a Retina IIIc and I would like to use common filters for B&W film with the camera such as red, yellow, orange, and green. Everything I have read to this point says that the filter threads of the IIIc are 29.5mm. Searching the internet tells me that I may never find any filters with that thread.

The best I can come up with on my own is a 29.5 to 37mm step up ring with an additional 37 to 52mm step up ring. That will allow me to purchase filters at a more reasonable price as it is a far more common thread diameter.

If there is a better way to work around this I'd love to hear it?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Old 11-14-2015   #2
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

One other option you have is the 32mm slip-on filters.

Both the 29.5mm screw-on and 32mm slip-on filters are out there but you have to look.. Some show up on eBay but where I got most of my 29.5mm filters was at camera shows..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 11-14-2015   #3
FrankS

On my lllc, there is a tab that interferes with my 32 slip on filter. What's up with that?

photography makes me happy

Old 11-14-2015   #4
farlymac
PF McFarland

The Kodak filters are marked 32mm, as that is the physical size of the rim, but they are actually 29.5mm thread size. You can find other brands of 29.5mm filters, and sometimes in a set.

I have a Walz set of a hood and filters in a leather case for the Retina IIa, and they will work on all the Retina's. Unlike the Kodak filters, they are double threaded, so the hood from the set screws on.

Prinz, Cenei, and others also made 29.5mm filters for the Retina.

PF

Old 11-14-2015   #5
Tim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
The Kodak filters are marked 32mm, as that is the physical size of the rim, but they are actually 29.5mm thread size. You can find other brands of 29.5mm filters, and sometimes in a set.

I have a Walz set of a hood and filters in a leather case for the Retina IIa, and they will work on all the Retina's. Unlike the Kodak filters, they are double threaded, so the hood from the set screws on.

Prinz, Cenei, and others also made 29.5mm filters for the Retina.

PF
Dear PF,

Thank you for the tips. I am trying to learn more about photography and every indication points to this place being a great place to do that. Everyone has been very helpful with my questions and I appreciate that a great deal!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Old 11-24-2015   #6
r.reeder

You might try Filterfind.net.

Old 11-25-2015   #7
VictorM.

photo_widget on ebay has a lot of older filters. There's also Series 6 accessories-an adapter on the lens then a common size filter and lens hood. The same filters and hood can then be used on a variety of equipment with only a different adapter. This was a common solution when Retinas were new.

Old 11-25-2015   #8
Tim Murphy

Dear R Reeder,

Thank you for an excellent lead.

Regards,

Tim Murphy