Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Q / T / X Series

Leica Q / T / X Series For the Leica Q, T, X series digital cameras

Leica X 113 and Olympus VF-1 problem
Old 09-15-2015   #1
Fuchs

Leica X 113 and Olympus VF-1 problem

Trying to mount an Olympus VF-1 on my Leica X, it does not slide completely to the end of the hot shoe. Has anyone tried this and failed to mount it?
My flickr

Old 09-22-2015   #2
asiafish

It won't work. The Olympus VF-2 is compatible with the X2 and X Vario, while the X113 uses the new EVF released with the Leica T. No Leica to my knowledge works with the Olympus VF-1.

Old 09-23-2015   #3
gbealnz

I was going to back up Asiafish, and agree, but decided to check before I did.
From a quick search it would appear that the VF1 is actually an optical frame finder, so it "should" slide into the hot-shoe perfectly.
Andrew is correct in that the correct EVF for the X is the new Visoflex which also fits the Leica T.
Gary

Old 09-24-2015   #4
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

The VF1 window and frameline is of a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 3:2. It was intended for micro-4/3 Olympus cameras.

I bought one for use on my Fujifilm X10, whose native format is also 4:3. It works great, optically, but like the OP's experience wouldn't slide all the way on to the X10 hot shoe. I ended up having to shave off a bit of thickness from the VF1 mount using a Dremel tool. There's some nonstandard thickness to the VF1. The problem is not the Leica.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 09-26-2015   #5
Fuchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
The VF1 window and frameline is of a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 3:2. It was intended for micro-4/3 Olympus cameras.

I bought one for use on my Fujifilm X10, whose native format is also 4:3. It works great, optically, but like the OP's experience wouldn't slide all the way on to the X10 hot shoe. I ended up having to shave off a bit of thickness from the VF1 mount using a Dremel tool. There's some nonstandard thickness to the VF1. The problem is not the Leica.

~Joe
I know the aspect ratio is 4:3, but I've found there's not a "big" difference for my style of RF or non SLR shooting.
And yes, I ended doing exactly the same filing to the finder shoe. Thank you for your reply, I was afraid the Leica had some hidden contact or feature that interferred with the VF slider.
My flickr

Old 09-26-2015   #6
Fuchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiafish View Post
It won't work. The Olympus VF-2 is compatible with the X2 and X Vario, while the X113 uses the new EVF released with the Leica T. No Leica to my knowledge works with the Olympus VF-1.
Asiafish, the Olympus VF-1 is a 4:3 35mm eq optical viewfinder, only the VF-2 to VF-4 are electronic finders
My flickr

Old 02-04-2016   #7
Jim Evidon

For the X type 113, you have to use the very expensive Leica Visoflex (020) which is made by Epson for Leica and not made by Olympus. The electronic connections are in the hot shoe and not below it like on the Oly made finders such as the EV-! et al.

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Leica M9P
Fuji X-Pro 1
Olympus OM-D (E-M5)
Leica T
Fuji XF-1
Sony Alpha 6000
Nikon 8008
Minox B