Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Fixed Lens 35mm RF

Fixed Lens 35mm RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

View Poll Results: Which of these 35mm compact film cameras would you rate the all-around best?
Canonet QL17 GIII 47 25.27%
Konika Auto S3 31 16.67%
Minolta HiMatic 7SII 25 13.44%
Olympus 35 RC 45 24.19%
Yashica Electro 35 GSN 38 20.43%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Best image quality from 5 35mm compact cameras
Old 03-15-2015   #1
noobfinder

Smile Best image quality from 5 35mm compact cameras

Hi,

I am looking into getting a fairly affordable rangefinder and stumbled upon a couple of recommendations that seem to pop up everywhere. However, it's hard to come by a comparative analysis, and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with some of the 5 models below:

- Konika Auto S3
- Canonet QL17 GIII
- Yashica Electro 35 GSN
- Minolta HiMatic 7SII
- Olympus 35 RC

If price and availability were not issues, which one would you go for? I'm mainly interested in image quality and camera build quality, but if anyone has had experience with these and has some other reasons to favor one or the other, by all means please advise .

Many thanks

Old 03-15-2015   #2
Addy101

I think the Minolta is the newest of that bunch (1977) - but do a search here on those cameras to find out what people are saying. In the end, I think they're close and I would choose by price and/or emotion.

I got a Yashica Minister D - just because it was cheap

Old 03-15-2015   #3
zuikologist

Having used all five of these, I would say the Konica has the best lens. Build quality is on par with the Minolta 7SII. The Oly RC is a dense little brick with lovely lens, slower than the others at 2.8 against 1.7 or 1.8. Shutter speeds are also more limited at the slow end. The top mounted shutte speed dial is a big plus. After all these years, performance is likely to be related to condition rather than capabilities.

The head bartender has a good write-up of most of these cameras on the Cameraquest website.

Old 03-15-2015   #4
zuikologist

Indeed, handling and individual preference comes into this equation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
I think the Minolta is the newest of that bunch (1977) - but do a search here on those cameras to find out what people are saying. In the end, I think they're close and I would choose by price and/or emotion.

I got a Yashica Minister D - just because it was cheap

Old 03-15-2015   #5
FrankS

Minolta has auto and manual control

Konica 3 might have better lens, but no manual control

I'd choose one of these two.

photography makes me happy

Old 03-15-2015   #6
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
Having used all five of these, I would say the Konica has the best lens. Build quality is on par with the Minolta 7SII. The Oly RC is a dense little brick with lovely lens, slower than the others at 2.8 against 1.7 or 1.8. Shutter speeds are also more limited at the slow end. The top mounted shutte speed dial is a big plus. After all these years, performance is likely to be related to condition rather than capabilities.

The head bartender has a good write-up of most of these cameras on the Cameraquest website.
Or had, at least. Probably the best build quality, too. A lot will however depend on what's happened in the intervening decades. Personally I'd look for a Konica with manual control.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-15-2015   #7
splitimageview

I'm about to do a shootout with all of those cameras with the exception of the Yashica. I can comment on build, viewfinder, and other factors but can't comment on optical performance yet.

The S3 and the HiMatic are essentially identical, with the exception the Minolta does not have the GN flash feature. The S3 has ambient/flash-fill feature. The viewfinder magnification is also less on the 7S II than on the S3. The aperture readout format looks identical on these cameras. Minolta is a tad longer than the S3.

The RC has the same mag viewfinder as the S3, and shows both aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder. The lens on the RC does not intrude at all into the viewfinder frame; it does slightly on the S3 and 7S II.

RC has 1/15th to 1/500 with shutter speed dial on the top plate.
S3 and 7S II are 1/8th to 1/500
QL 17 GIII is from 1/4th to 1/500

Weight in grams, no battery, no film:

462 - 7S II
425 - RC
420 - S3
?? - QL17 (can't measure at the moment but I think it's the heaviest)

Canon focuses the closest and has parallax correction, the others do not.

RC does not have a focus tab, and of course it's a slower f/2.8.

QL 17 G3, RC and S3 have PC sync plus hot shoe; 7S II only has hot shoe.

Ranking the viewfinders in order: QL17, RC, S3, 7SII. QL wins because of parallax correction, although the RC could win if one prefers a VF that has aperture & shutter readout. Optically the RC and S3 viewfinders are the same magnification. The 7S lags due to a lower magnification.

As for build they are all pretty much equal, with a possible slight edge to the Canon, but they are so close that this is pretty much a tie. If I had to break them down to the tiniest degree, I'd say Canon, Olympus, Konica/Minolta in that order.

Ergonomics: the RC aperture ring is very close to the body, kinda hard to access. But it will mostly be used on Auto so this isn't a big deal. The 7S II ring is also very close to the body but there is a tab on the bottom of the lens to make it easier to turn.

The S3 has no aperture ring at all, so there is no manual exposure option, unless one wants to mess with changing the ISO.

Minolta/Canon: 40mm f/1.7
Konica: 38/1.8
Olympus: 42/2.8

Note that all these cameras will need light seals unless they've already been replaced. And viewfinders will generally need cleaning. As usual, it's a good idea to buy a camera that's already been refurbished or allocate funds in advance for service especially if you buy off ebay. All the cameras I'm comparing are excellent examples that have been professionally restored so that eliminates the variable of condition.

Lastly: don't forget the Olympus 35RD. 488 grams, viewfinder as good as the RC (but no parallax correction like the QL17), lens intrudes into the framelines by just a smidge, same magnification as the RC and S3; focuses closer than all but the QL 17, a more ergonomic operation with a larger focusing ring (no tab), the widest shutter speed range of all the others (1/2 to 1/500), GN flash feature, PC sync+ hot shoe, 40mm f/1.7.

Then there is the 35SP but that's significantly larger (592 grams.) If you want that added to the comparison, I'll be happy to do so.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-15-2015   #8
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

It is more a matter of condition, these days. In that camera class, I have had the best results from the Revue 400 SE, Olympus 35RC (and SP) and Yashica 35CC, while my Canonets, Minoltas and Yashica 35GSN and Olympus XA were optically anywhere between so-so and very disappointing. Given mixed results within one brand/type and with many exactly opposite experiences from others I'd interpret that as "all of them, across the board, can do pretty well as long as nothing bad has happened to them".

Old 03-15-2015   #9
gb hill

I'm partial to the Canon. Have a Yashica which died the POD. Haven't had the other two. Have read many like the Konica. I don't think you would go wrong with any of these camera's.

I do like the 40/1.7 lens of the Canonet. I shot this at a Wailer's concert with 400 film & set the shutter at 1:60 with available light. It didn't get the reputation as the poor mans Leica for nothing.

Old 03-15-2015   #10
Monochrom

The Yashica GSN is crazy sharp. Here at f1.7, this one had a huge fungus inside, never understood how it made such results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gsn.jpg (192.4 KB, 138 views)

Old 03-15-2015   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

I have only two of these five cameras. The Konica cameras have very sharp lenses. I also find the Yashica to have a very sharp lens.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-15-2015   #12
Joe Vitessa

I've used all of these except for the Yashica. I'd say the Konica has the sharpest lens, but I like using the Olympus the most. It's smaller and the manual control is great.

Old 03-15-2015   #13
Brian Legge

I don't think there is all that much difference in overall image quality.

Ergonomics however vary quite a bit between the different models. If possible, try to handle a few of the cameras to see if any feel particularly right. And then focus on finding something in good condition; it can be difficult to find a working camera for some of these models.

Old 03-15-2015   #14
noobfinder

Thumbs up

Wow, this is an amazing amount of feedback! Would really like to thank everyone for chipping in. This was all really helpful and I'm getting a good feel I would enjoy any of these cameras.

I'm getting a really positive vibe off the Konica S3, but at the same time, it would be really nice to have manual control so maybe Canon or Minolta.

@splitimageview: that was really thorough whenever you do the image test, I'd be really curios to see how it turned out. You're awesome!

Old 03-15-2015   #15
lawrence

I used the Konica S3 for many years and liked it very much, particularly the coupled flash feature. This is Generation X photographed in Chelsea back in 1977.

Can't beat the Konica Hexanon Lens
Old 03-15-2015   #16
LSiemens

Can't beat the Konica Hexanon Lens

My vote would be split between the Konica and the Olympus (I've used 3 of your 5 on the list, and these two were among them). I like several things about the Olympus over the Konica, but when I go back through the negatives, the Hexanon lens always stands out.

Old 03-15-2015   #17
Chrisrw
photomonkey

I've heard great things about all of them but have only used the Canonet myself. It's a wonderfully sharp lens and if you keep your eye out,I'll be posting it soon in the classifieds.

Old 03-15-2015   #18
eckmanmj

Frankly, there is no wrong answer here. All 5 cameras you mentioned are great, and are capable of amazing shots. It would seem that the Konica is the one that has gotten the most praise from the people who have responded.

I own one and love it too. You definitley cant go wrong.

While theres certainly no shortage of people who love the Yashica Electro, there are also people who list its lack of full manual control as a "con" Don't be fooled by its lack of full manual mode. The meter in most Electros is still pretty accurate after all this time, and what you lose in full manual control you get back in a world class lens. Plus, they are still very plentiful and can be had for cheaper than most of the cameras youve mentioned, especially the Canonet which for some reason, sells for higher than any of these others.

In terms of sharpness, here is an example of a shot of my son sitting in a large box of corn. This shot was taken with my Yashica Electro GS with Fuji 200 film. The scan is the basic scan done by Dwayne's Photo. Im sure with a more expensive film and a better scanner, the sharpness could be increased further.

And here is a 1:1 crop of some of the corn showing the detail this lens is capable of, even with "regular film".

So, as I said earlier, you cannot go wrong with any of these cameras. Whichever one you choose is bound to give you plenty of enjoyment, and if you're like me, you'll probably end up with more than one!

Old 03-15-2015   #19
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I used the Konica S3 for many years and liked it very much, particularly the coupled flash feature. This is Generation X photographed in Chelsea back in 1977.
This is great!

Old 03-15-2015   #20
splitimageview

I agree that all these little cameras are quite good, so a decision could come down to one feature or another--mine tends to be viewfinder and close focus capability, so I'm biased towards the Canon if I were to pick only one. But why just have one?

Not to confuse things further but the Vivitar 35ES is also another Konica/Minolta clone. It's actually closer to the Konica as it doesn't have an aperture ring, either. It's prettier than the Konica as it has real black paint instead of anodized aluminum. 464 grams, 40/1.7, GN flash, hot shoe but no PC sync. Same speeds as the Konica - 1/8th thru 1/500. Same viewfinder readout, identical to the Konica and Minolta...same magnification as the Minolta.

This one will also be in the shootout...

Old 03-15-2015   #21
btgc

I'd grab one in confirmed working condition. Or very cheapest one otherwise, to make it working myself or sending out for repair. From here follows - in DIY route choose mechanical or electric variety, whichever you are comfortable working on. KAS3 and GSN are AE-only battery dependent cameras (flash mode with fixed 1/30 + variable aperture CAN BE a workaround, though isn't real manual mode).

Old 03-15-2015   #22
Frontman

I have all five cameras, the GSN is the best performer, and is by far the best value. The GSN has a better lens than the other cameras, and, like the Canonet, it has parallax correction. For a cheap camera, Yashica used wonderful glass and coatings, unfortunately, Canon skimped in this department, and Canon's lenses are very susceptible to fungus, haze, and deterioration of the glass itself. Five of the last six Canonets I have repaired had lenses which were beyond repair, and required replacement of the front and/or rear lens elements.

The only perceived negative of the Yahicas are their battery-dependent shutters, and aperture-priority automatic operation. But so long as you have one with a good POD, and a fresh battery, you will be amazed at the results.

Too bad the Olympus SP is not on the list, it is probably the best fixed lens camera out there, only the Yashica comes close, but the Olympus has the benefit of a mechanical shutter.

Old 03-15-2015   #23
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

I agree, i like the gsn more than the ql17.
It is considerably bigger body though.

One strong point of the gsn versus the rest is, its shutter very accurately can run up to 30 seconds and you can set iso up to 1000.
This makes it a nice very low light camera.

In image quality, the yashica and minolta seemed to me to have nicer lens and more accurate meter, than the canonet. Never tried the koni nor oly.

Old 03-16-2015   #24
btgc

Performance of cameras of this age highly depends on their condition, if they were cared for and serviced. Out of closet after 40+ years of sleeping no one is expected to be daily user. Inspecting them in person is the key to satisfaction, or factor in time and labor or costs to get it going.

Old 03-16-2015   #25
Matus

I completely agree on the condition remarks. I used to have the Konica S3. It was a lovely camera, but the images it produces were just OK sharp. What can rob sharpness on cameras this light is hard shutter release. Once I've put soft release on the S3 it definitely brought some improvement.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 03-16-2015   #26
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Performance of cameras of this age highly depends on their condition, if they were cared for and serviced. Out of closet after 40+ years of sleeping no one is expected to be daily user. Inspecting them in person is the key to satisfaction, or factor in time and labor or costs to get it going.
Ditto. It's a shame that most owners won't spend the extra bucks to put them back in like new condition.

From a serviceability viewpoint, the Olympus 35RC is one of the easiest to keep up with. The lens is sharp enough and with only 5 elements, plus decent coatings, the E. Zuiko offers good contrast, unlike the Canonet that I once used. My 35RC has been with me for 19 years.

The Yashica Electro 35 series - is also very easy to get service for.
http://www.camerarefurb.com/Services.htm

I used a Yashica Electro 35 GT for many years - very crisp images - but it is by far the largest camera of the group. - Plus, it lacks an exposure lock - which would allow the photog take a light reading off the ground or where ever and then hold the shutter release at its half-way point.

I did try out a Konica S3 for a bit. While the lens was better than most, the build quality seem a bit rattle-ly. The shutter release not nearly as smooth as my 35RC.

Last but not least, if you do get one of the above cameras that use the now banned PX625 mercury cell - bite the bullet and spring for a MR-9 voltage adapter.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Rollei 35 S, Oly 35RC, plus an XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtland Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 03-16-2015   #27
dmr
Registered Abuser

Well, I'm kind of biased here since I own two of the GIII and I know the lens (and other workings) is of the quality that it will do a flawless 13x19 print using a 200-ish color film.

Old 03-16-2015   #28
Solinar
Analog Preferred

If I had to vote for one of the five choices based on the lens alone - it would be for the Yashica Electro 35.

The Electro 35 is a large 35mm camera - It is about the size of a Cosina-Voigtlander Bessa R.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Rollei 35 S, Oly 35RC, plus an XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtland Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 03-16-2015   #29
jazzwave

I love Konica Auto S2 and S3...amazing Hexanon lens

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Old 03-16-2015   #30
splitimageview

The S2 is another big camera, but has a big viewfinder with parallax correction. I've had it almost 40 years, my first 'real' camera. Just recently put it back in working order.

Shutter release action is important, as excessive travel or force can result in camera shake with these lightweight cams, which makes a quality lens immaterial.

The RD and RC both have very smooth travel and trip the shutter with just a little 'snick.' And there is no 'spring' noise to be heard like on the S3, 7S II, or 35ES, which all have very similar action.

The 35SP has a very long shutter release, 'spring' noise and vibration felt in the body. Press, press, press a little farther....keep pressing...there! Shutter has fired. I have five of these and they all feel exactly the same, so it's not due to random variation...

Old 03-16-2015   #31
eckmanmj

The best thing going for the Konica and Yashicas are how cheap you can find them. The Konica Auto S2 is very similar in size to the Electro, but uses an easier to find battery PX625, of which you can find an alkaline equivalent at your local hardware store. The Electro will work with a LR44 6v battery, but requires an adapter to work. Although the Konica works entirely in manual mode without a battery, the Electro will work too at a fixed 1/500 sec shutter speed without a battery.

If you would like to read more about the Auto S2 and Yashica Electro, here are links to reviews I've done on both cameras:

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2015/01/wa...-auto-s2-1965/

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2014/12/ya...ro-35-gs-1972/

Old 03-16-2015   #32
nikku

As others have said, condition is most important when considering one of the classic fixed lens rangefinders of the 70s. I've used all the cameras you listed, and my favorites are as follows:

Canonet for overall useablity (it's not the smallest, nor does it have the best lens, but it's a good all-around performer)
Oly 35RC for small size, and manual control, and it has an excellent lens for b+w film
Yashica for ultimate image quality (the Yashinon lenses were something special).

If I were to get another one of these beauties, I'd look for either an Oly 35RC or Yashica that had been totally overhauled.

Old 03-16-2015   #33
splitimageview

All these cameras can be found for very little money, even free, if one is patient. But the initial cost is of little relevance, because virtually all will need service. The key is to find a knowledgeable, experienced, reliable tech.

Old 03-16-2015   #34
Brian Legge

If you don't need manual, I'd suggest taking a look at the Olympus 35DC. It has the same killer lens as the 35RD without the reoccurring sticky shutter issue which requires periodic repair. Its also has a very quiet shutter release and solid build quality.

Old 03-16-2015   #35
Kent
Finally at home...

Really hard to say.

I used to have the Konika Auto S3, the Olympus 35 RC and a Yashica Electro 35 GS.
And the only one I still have is the Yashica Electro 35 GS.

But not because it is objectively the best one. I have a remote friend who really wanted to find an Auto S3 badly, so that one had to go. And although I liked the 35RC a lot esp. for its size, I sold it - I can't even remember why.

Anyway, the Electro 35 GS is such a great cam that I don't miss the other two a lot.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 03-16-2015   #36
Darshan

I have used 3 of these 5 cameras and found my Yashica GSN to be the best. Even though it had limited manual control, the AE was pretty accurate. The best thing was the lens, I still cherish looking at some of the prints I made with that camera, they are gorgeous. Sadly, I gave it away a few years ago in the "Christmas give away", I wish I could get it back..

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 03-16-2015   #37
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobfinder View Post
Hi,

I am looking into getting a fairly affordable rangefinder and stumbled upon a couple of recommendations that seem to pop up everywhere. However, it's hard to come by a comparative analysis, and was wondering if anyone here has had experience with some of the 5 models below:

- Konica Auto S3
- Canonet QL17 GIII
- Yashica Electro 35 GSN
- Minolta HiMatic 7SII
- Olympus 35 RC

If price and availability were not issues, which one would you go for? I'm mainly interested in image quality and camera build quality, but if anyone has had experience with these and has some other reasons to favor one or the other, by all means please advise .

Many thanks
All of the possibilities you list are nice cameras capable of good results however all of these cameras are from the 1970's - 40 plus years old now.

Real world comparisons are pretty much meaningless now because of all the things that may have happened to your test cameras, or did not happen to them, over those 40+ years.

Possible camera adventures include sitting in a closet neglected for decades, having repairs done by an inept DIYS tech, being dropped, being reassembled incorrectly, etc.

Luckily all your listed cameras are selling for bargain rates now. BUY THEM ALL, compare them yourself, and let us know which worked out best for YOU. If any of your prizes seems a real dog, I suggest replacing it with a better example before coming to a final conclusion about that model.

Stephen

Old 03-17-2015   #38
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan View Post
I have used 3 of these 5 cameras and found my Yashica GSN to be the best. Even though it had limited manual control, the AE was pretty accurate. The best thing was the lens, I still cherish looking at some of the prints I made with that camera, they are gorgeous. Sadly, I gave it away a few years ago in the "Christmas give away", I wish I could get it back..
Buy another! There are tons for sale on eBay and shopgoodwill.com!

Old 03-30-2015   #39
delible

A feature of the Canonet that I believe has not yet been mentioned is the practical and effective dedicated flash, the Canolite D. It works very well and it is small.

Old 04-01-2015   #40
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobfinder View Post
I'm mainly interested in image quality and camera build quality, but if anyone has had experience with these and has some other reasons to favor one or the other, by all means please advise .
When I was looking for a small, quiet, inexpensive, and unobtrusive rangefinder that was capable of producing high-quality images without relying on batteries, I found two. Neither needs batteries for operation. Batteries are only needed for the built-in light meter.

Of the two, the Canon QL17 Giii is on your list. Therefore, I voted for it.

https://flic.kr/p/8XWY9C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range Finders 018b sml.jpg (22.0 KB, 45 views)