Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

canon 25mm 3.5 vs voightlander 25mm
Old 02-23-2015   #1
Firefly

canon 25mm 3.5 vs voightlander 25mm

Hi all, been casting around for a wide angle to try out on my Leica M8 and I have spotted a nice condition Canon 25mm F3.5 in L39 mount, I suspect that I could find a Voightlander 25mm F4 for less but I do like the look from vintage glass. My understanding is that the Canon is rangefinder coupled and the Voightlander is not, anyone tried both and have an opinion? possibly even some pictures to show? regards Rob

Old 02-23-2015   #2
raid
Dad Photographer

There exists an M mount RF coupled CV 25/4.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-23-2015   #3
David Murphy

I've used the Voigtlander 25mm quite a bit and I like it. The DOF is usually so great that the lack of RF coupling is not an issue at all (to me at least) - trivial to scale focus it. It has really nice optics, although there is perceptible distortion, which I actually find makes a nice effect - it is a popular lens for a good reason, it delivers the images most like. It is also a bargain for a rangefinder lens, at least the LTM version with finder.

I've not had the luck to own a canon 25mm, but I'm sure it's a decent lens for it's time, and probably fairly good even by today's standards. All the Canon RF lenses I've used, early or late, gave good to excellent results. They are also well made and compact by any standard, and increasingly valuable (most).
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 02-23-2015   #4
harpofreely

I just got the Canon in the mail today. I started a thread a few minutes ago to try to figure out if the aperture is OK, but it's working enough that I'll be shooting it on my XE-1 this week while I 1) decide if I'm keeping it and 2) get a 25mm viewfinder for my iiic. The XE-1 is 1.5 crop factor, not too different than your M8, so let me know if you are interested in samples from that combo.

Old 02-23-2015   #5
nikonosguy

i am using the canon 25 on my m8 -- stellar lens

Old 02-23-2015   #6
kermaier

I used to have a CV 25/4 in M mount (RF coupled). Very good lens: sharp, contrasty, rich color rendering, compact, easy to use.
But I found myself using the Canon 25/3.5 more, as I just like the vintage rendering better, especially in b&w -- so I sold the CV.

Notes on the Canon:
1. It's built like a little tank. I bought mine on eBay, and it arrived thrown naked (no caps, case, nada) into an unpadded manila envelope -- no damage.
2. The aperture ring rotates with the focusing barrel, so if you tend to constantly adjust aperture while shooting, it can be a bit of a pain.
3. The optical formula is a Biogon derivative, and it protrudes deeply into the camera body -- so there will be likely be light fall-off and other weaknesses in the corners on digital M cameras.
4. Front lens element is deeply recessed in the lens body, so you don't need a hood, unless you stick a filter on the front.
5. Filter size is 40mm, which isn't so easy to come by, but a 40mm-40.5mm adapter ring is easy to come by, if need be.
6. The glass elements are tiny, so take a close look with a bright light, or you won't see scratches or haze with the naked eye in normal lighting.

Cheers,
Ari

EDIT: As noted below, the Canon is a Topogon, not a Biogon, formula.

Last edited by kermaier : 02-23-2015 at 19:14. Reason: Correction

Canon 25 3.5
Old 02-23-2015   #7
enasniearth

Canon 25 3.5

The canon 25 , like the nikkor 2.5 cm f4 is a Zeiss topogon copy .
In the case of the canon it has an additional glass element behind the 4 glass topogon design .
Canon describes it as a glass surface of great radius . It looks flat .
The canon is capable of some great results .
The two lenses I used on a konica hexar rf
Were the 35 f2 and 25 f3.5 canons .

Old 02-24-2015   #8
Firefly

Thanks Guys, it would appear to be worth pursuing, as an aside this place is so much friendlier than LUF, cheers Rob

Old 02-24-2015   #9
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I have the Canon 25f3.5 and the Color Skopar 25 (as well as the Nikkor 25f4. The M-mount version of the VC 25 does couple to the rangefinder.
The Canon is fine, a bit flare prone. The controls are less canon "gravelly" than the 35f2 and the 5pf1.4. It is truly a small lens too. Edge fall off is visible, quite distinct too, but I don't mind it. The VC 25mm is a modern lens, better contrast and, yes, sharper too.

Old 02-24-2015   #10
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Cessa T, Canon 25mm f3.5. Orwo UN 54 (100 iso) in Td 201 developer. Probably around f8.

Old 02-24-2015   #11
FrankS

Hi Tom, have you ever compared the canon 28 f2.8 and 28 f3.5 chrome lenses?

Or the 28 f3.5 chrome and 28f3.5 black lenses?

photography makes me happy

Old 11-10-2015   #12
aoresteen

Just for the record, the 25mm f/4 Voigtlander lens in the Nikon S mount is also RF coupled. I use one with my Contax IIa and it is a superb lens.
Cambo 23F 6x9, Olympus OM, Pentax M42, 6x6 & 6x7

De Oppresso Liber