Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

View Poll Results: When Will We See A Production Konost Camera?
Sometime in 2015 2 1.12%
Sometime in 2016 16 8.94%
Sometime in 2017 11 6.15%
Not Likely Ever 150 83.80%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2015   #81
DougFord
on the good foot

The whole presentation feels like a sales pitch to you know who.
Focusing white chess pieces against a black background in an ambient light controlled environment is one thing, but vary the ambient light and I'd imagine things start to get interesting.
I wonder just how well this technology performs in the world outside of the lab?

the walk

Old 02-27-2015   #82
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
OT, but from what ive read the sony A7S would do the trick for you.
I need the OVF. I tried out the Sonys and could not deal with the lag in the EVF when used indoors. You can see this if you have it to your eye and pan. Come to a stop and the image in the EVF is still moving around playing catch up. I can also snap my RF into focus much more quickly than using the image magnification, then recompose, then check focus etc of the Sonys. It's the simplicity of use that I find so attractive with the Leicas, which is why the Konost is so appealing.
I also see no reason to downgrade to a 12mp camera that does not play well with all my M lenses, when my M-E at 18mp does.
But I think the main thing is I really like the RF format. C'mon Cosina/Zeiss/Voigtlander/Konost!

Old 02-27-2015   #83
rbelyell

then you dont have a problem with sony you have a problem with non rangefinders. and thats fine and understandable. i much prefer them, or slr split screen, as well. btw, ive no such problem, at least that my untrained eye notices, with the rx1 and external sony vf. its the best digital vf ive ever used bar none.
tony

Old 02-27-2015   #84
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
then you dont have a problem with sony you have a problem with non rangefinders. and thats fine and understandable. i much prefer them, or slr split screen, as well. btw, ive no such problem, at least that my untrained eye notices, with the rx1 and external sony vf. its the best digital vf ive ever used bar none.
tony
No problem with OVF SLRs, except they don't take M lenses.
As an aside, I found the image in the Fuji XTI EVF to be much better, except its refresh rate makes me nauseous! No such issue with Sony or Olympus EVF.

Anyway, I'm excited about the Konost and hope that it somehow progresses.

Old 03-03-2015   #86
jsrockit

I kind of like the look of it...

Old 03-03-2015   #87
Jockos

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Other mirror-less cameras have short rear-lens element to sensor distances. These brands do not struggle with sensor cover glass issues and many of them work well with M/LTM lenses. For instance Fujifilm actually offers a M-mount adapter. This is just one example.
The problem is on the edges of the sensor because of the angle of which the light rays strike the sensor, but if your sensor size is less than 35mm film, you dont have to deal with the extreme angles at the edges.
Since no one but Sony (and Leica, if you don't count the mirrors in the RF) offers a full frame mirrorless, no one else has the problem (to the same extent).

Da gallery

Old 03-03-2015   #88
Mcary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I kind of like the look of it...
Same here

As someone who wants a Rangefinder/Rangerfinder style cameras with optical view finder I like the fact that someone is willing try something different. Sure it may not be ready for prime time but who knows what it could lead to down the road.

Internet is full of people with the view that since they love/prefer shooting with one type of camera be it a DSLR, Mirrorless, Rangefinder that there doesn't need to be any other options.
Not work safe

Old 03-03-2015   #89
Monochrom

To me a rangefinder must have two images merging just like an analogue RF...don´t want it if their RF is a super ultra maginification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I'm intrigued by their digital rangefinder. They say it is not analogue. That could mean that it just doesn't use mirror and prisms, but does it mean that it still uses an analogue device to measure the lens focusing movement or not? To me if it is sensing lens focusing by touch then it would be called semi-analogue. But if some how they use contrast sensing from the two sensors then it would be completely digital.

This may seem like a small point but if it is the later then that would open the possibility of using any lens on this camera. Probably they are using the first type of RF. The second would possibly be new tech and would really add to the cost.

Old 03-03-2015   #90
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Referring to the pictures above, that Biogon is not a small lens, is it?

But it looks small compared to the camera body.

Old 03-03-2015   #91
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post

Funny fake pic, unless the referee on the pitch took it.

Old 03-03-2015   #92
Redseele

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Referring to the pictures above, that Biogon is not a small lens, is it?

But it looks small compared to the camera body.
I think the design makes it look small at first look. Yesterday I saw a Leica T for the first time. Even when I saw pictures of people holding it before I was very surprised to see that the actual camera is actually pretty big and solid (almost the size of a film Leica M).

Culture: The Unintended Consequences of Looking Sideways
http://culturelookingsideways.com

And my simpler (and more updated) Tumblr:
http://culturelookingsideways.tumblr.com

Old 03-03-2015   #93
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochrom View Post
To me a rangefinder must have two images merging just like an analogue RF...don´t want it if their RF is a super ultra maginification...
I agree completely.

Konost FF Digital RF w/ a Hybred VF! M mount
Old 07-05-2015   #94
DNG
Film Friendly

Konost FF Digital RF w/ a Hybred VF! M mount

Konost Home Page

YES, that is a Digital RF Patch center

Manual Focused FF Digital RF that takes Leica M lenses, or F mount with an adapter....

What do think? They want to make affordable.
So, under $4000, or maybe around $3000?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Konost-Video2-v5.jpg (20.0 KB, 39 views)
Nikon: F2, FM2n, EM, Konica FS-1, Fuji X100T
Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai
Hexanon: 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 07-05-2015   #95
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

old news

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=147526

Stephen

Old 07-05-2015   #96
DNG
Film Friendly

Yes, but, Mid 2015 is here... could the release be soon?

I gather, no interest then on this site?

I would think that this would welcome competition to a M9/240 for many that can't spend or afford $4-5k on a Leica M body?

Old 07-05-2015   #97
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post

I would think that this would welcome competition to a M9/240 for many that can't spend or afford $4-5k on a Leica M body?
an interesting idea,
but who knows if, when it will be produced.

Stephen

Old 07-05-2015   #98
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post

Why would there be interest? If there is no need for IR filters on all your lenses, or your sensor will not corrode, or there is no color caste, or if there is no focus shift or color shift, or if you dont have to code all you lenses, or if all these wonderful features are not hidden/denied, how could we feel we're getting that premium quality and simplicity we demand on this site? Oh, i forgot, it cannot possibly come in at under $5000, we just won't have that kind of foolishness!

Old 07-05-2015   #99
raid
Dad Photographer

I would say BRAVO for getting into such a venture.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-05-2015   #100
DNG
Film Friendly

nicely put……rbelyell

Old 07-06-2015   #102
krötenblender

I think it is a great idea and I'm very interested that they make it. Maybe the second or third generation will be really good. Currently the ergonomics look pretty bad on the pictures (as was already stated in some posts here). Also when you look long enough, there are some details that just don't make sense (to me). I hope they really make it, but I wouldn't buy the first generation.

Old 07-19-2015   #103
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Poll Added.

When will see a production Konost camera ?

Old 07-19-2015   #104
raid
Dad Photographer

I am optimistic about it: 2015

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-19-2015   #105
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Given that they had working, hand-built prototypes in February and were looking for funding sources then, I suspect they're more than a year from actual product, while presuming that their funding search is proving to be fruitful.

It takes even large companies with solid funding, existing production facilities, and a fully staffed workforce at least a year from the hand-built prototype stage to a product release when it comes to all-new products...

G

Old 07-19-2015   #106
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

I wish them success.
It's about time we have a digital camera with 3 simple controls.

If the big camera manufacturers won't do it, I hope these guys will. Just one question, why the viewfinder is located so low on the body? It looks awkward in the video.

Old 07-19-2015   #107
codester80
A Touch of Light

I have never read so much bi*ching and complaining in my life. Here is a group of young engineers attempting to build the very thing a lot of people have been asking for from Leica, Sony, Nikon, etc., for years. They propose to build a full-frame all manual rangefinder camera that accepts M lenses and all RFF members can do is complain and nitpick. The Konost is still in the very early design phase. The finished product will not look like the mock up. We should all be applauding the young team at Konost for even attempting to bring this camera to market. I'm guessing a few people are afraid someone other than their beloved Leica is going to finally offer what a lot of us have always dreamed of. I wish them all the best and hope they get their funding and find a way of getting this to the market.

Old 07-24-2015   #108
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by codester80 View Post
I have never read so much bi*ching and complaining in my life. Here is a group of young engineers attempting to build the very thing a lot of people have been asking for from Leica, Sony, Nikon, etc., for years. They propose to build a full-frame all manual rangefinder camera that accepts M lenses and all RFF members can do is complain and nitpick. The Konost is still in the very early design phase. The finished product will not look like the mock up. We should all be applauding the young team at Konost for even attempting to bring this camera to market. I'm guessing a few people are afraid someone other than their beloved Leica is going to finally offer what a lot of us have always dreamed of. I wish them all the best and hope they get their funding and find a way of getting this to the market.
+1 ... I'm with you on this. I hope they succeed in getting the funding they need and that the Konost camera proves a delight and a success. I don't expect it to happen tomorrow; patience is a virtue. :-)

G

Old 07-24-2015   #109
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

And the naysayers are dominating the poll! Who would have thought?

Old 07-24-2015   #110
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
And the naysayers are dominating the poll! Who would have thought?
I ignore polls like these, don't even look at them. They're a waste of time and do nothing but foster senseless debate and argument.

The vast majority of tech startups fail for lack of funding, vision, the right skill set, or perseverance in the endeavor. Building a successful digital camera that can be manufactured and sold profitably is very difficult, no matter what the armchair engineers have to say about it. It's a tech startup, like any other, with a combined hardware/software product.

I support the Konost effort and hope for their success. I'll put some money in if they do a Kickstarter or a public funding round, but I see no point to guessing or betting on when they might deliver a product.

My opinion on where they might be in the process at present is based on the information they provide on their website and my 25+ years in the high tech industry producing software and hardware products; it's my objective evaluation, without intent to indicate my support for the effort.

G

Old 07-24-2015   #111
jsrockit

I say 2017.

Old 07-24-2015   #112
B-9
Devin Bro

Good for them, it's fresh, but it's ugly.

I mean REALLY ugly, I just cant get over it...

I wouldn't buy it, but you should.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 07-24-2015   #113
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

#columbusing

Old 07-24-2015   #114
krötenblender

Quote:
I have never read so much bi*ching and complaining in my life.
So it is your first time using the internet...?

Quote:
Here is a group of young engineers attempting to build the very thing a lot of people have been asking for from Leica, Sony, Nikon, etc., for years.

Well, I think, I am one of the people with some critique on that camera concept.
But not to say, what I and others think is wrong with the concept, the Konost-guys wouldn't get any inspiration out of it.

You can say different things about the choice of words, but who is not able to differentiate the words and the substance of critique, should not use the internet as a forum. If the vast majority of the potential buyers base here says, that the camera is plain ugly, then this might not be very nice. But engineers are usually immune against the wording of critique as long as there is some point to it. The Konost-engineers have a goal, that I like very much, but it's IMHO a long way, to make it a usable camera. They can get much inspiration out of the harsh words here.

Old 07-24-2015   #115
Monochrom

After 5 months is it there any konost RF to experience?

...or is it just another big foot sight?

Four Konost cameras!
Old 07-24-2015   #116
Huss

Four Konost cameras!

Konost now is 'showing' four different cameras on its website:

http://konost.com/?page_id=6714

Old 07-24-2015   #117
rfaspen

Neat! some activity. I'm going to head over to the Konost site right now....

Old 07-24-2015   #118
rfaspen

Hmm. I don't think I see anything new. I remember they were planning those 4 models from early on. No new "announcements". I do hope they haven't dropped this venture.

BTW, now that I revisited the site, I'm struck by how much the prototype featured on the "home" page looks like a Leica T. Very much, no?

Old 07-25-2015   #119
rpavich

I wish them success, but I agree...what an ugly concept camera so far. i'm one that has wished for a simple rangefinder so good for them.

I DO wish that the styling would be more "rangefinder-esque" though.

Old 07-25-2015   #120
btgc

They don't mention whether FF sensor is CCD of CMOS. Seems they only use CMOS. What is your preference?