Old 11-24-2014   #81
yossarian123
Sam I Am
 
yossarian123's Avatar
 
yossarian123 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Age: 40
Posts: 906
Thanks, so it still sounds like this could be a real policy by Leica and it just hasn't filtered it's way down through the bureaucracy yet.

I did a little bit of internet research - I believe JJ Viau was the employee at Leica that also posted about the M8 LCD policy. So he has some credibility.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
I just got off the phone with Mark in the technical support department at Leica NJ. He didn't know anything about the online frenzy that was going on, so I read some of it to him. He said that he had heard of some sensors having issues, but only ones that have been exposed to extremely humid conditions for an extended period of time. I asked him about 'wet' cleaning of sensors by owners themselves, and he personally didn't recommend it. He said that what can often happen is that residue gets stuck in the corners and stays there. I told him that I own a Monochrom, live in Baltimore (humid in the summertime, but I don't think it's the type and duration of humidity they're talking about), and only use a Rocket-type blower to clean dust off the sensor. Anything like a smudge or something that requires more extensive cleaning, I send to Leica. He said that if I keep doing what I'm doing, then I have nothing to worry about.

I did ask him about someone from Leica (he did not know JJ Viau) posting information on a forum, rather than in an 'official' capacity on the Leica website, and he said that he was going to look into it. I gave him the info for both the LUF thread and for this thread here. As far as he was aware, there was nothing 'official' from Leica regarding this issue. So it may possibly be internet overreaction, but don't quote me on that!

Personally, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about it. Leica has been pretty responsive to any issues that I've had with my Monochrom (admittedly, it has had some, but fingers crossed it's fine now), so I'm just going to carry on and keep taking photos.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #82
Vince Lupo
Registered User
 
Vince Lupo's Avatar
 
Vince Lupo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA; Toronto, Ont, Canada
Posts: 3,935
It will be interesting to see if this issue is 'officially' posted on their website, newsfeed etc., rather than a camera forum. At the moment it's sounding like the Takata airbag of the camera world. Or at least people online are making it seem that way.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #83
silverbullet
Registered User
 
silverbullet's Avatar
 
silverbullet is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 249
There are official emails from Leica to registered customers in Germany with the same content as shown in the LUF.

I guess this issue is like a tsunami for Leica, similar to the dreaded M8 UV filter campaign.
Here a thread in the French forum Summilux:

http://www.summilux.net/forums/viewt...p?f=10&t=68458
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #84
EdwardKaraa
Registered User
 
EdwardKaraa's Avatar
 
EdwardKaraa is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangkok
Age: 48
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
There are official emails from Leica to registered customers in Germany with the same content as shown in the LUF.

I guess this issue is like a tsunami for Leica, similar to the dreaded M8 UV filter campaign.
Here a thread in the French forum Summilux:

http://www.summilux.net/forums/viewt...p?f=10&t=68458
Leica has probably anticipated this problem since it is not really news. It has been going on for a while, and most people who became aware of this problem have already had the sensor replaced.
__________________
M240 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/1.5 50/2 85/2
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #85
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is online now
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 4,117
Well, it makes my choice easier for used digital camera, if I have to. Leica is excluded, as bad lottery. It is now only between Sony and Canon for FF for me.
As of now I have no problem with wet cleaning of my Canon 5D sensor, because this old camera was made by manufacturer who seems to have some clue about digital cameras.

And I just ordered 200' of film under $100 as total for my beaten outside, yet beautiful M4-2 .
Leica and Film - “together forever”!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #86
Vobluda
Registered User
 
Vobluda is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Age: 41
Posts: 825
Exactly, first official statement more than a year after major outbreak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardKaraa View Post
Leica has probably anticipated this problem since it is not really news. It has been going on for a while, and most people who became aware of this problem have already had the sensor replaced.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #87
Vobluda
Registered User
 
Vobluda is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Age: 41
Posts: 825
About the sensor blowing - my friend is working in official Canon service, reparing cameras ane lens for more than 30y, servicing digital cameras from the very begining. He says that blowing can easily blow dust under the IR sensor cover and that there is no way to get it out then.. So good luck with the blowing as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
I just got off the phone with Mark in the technical support department at Leica NJ. He didn't know anything about the online frenzy that was going on, so I read some of it to him. He said that he had heard of some sensors having issues, but only ones that have been exposed to extremely humid conditions for an extended period of time. I asked him about 'wet' cleaning of sensors by owners themselves, and he personally didn't recommend it. He said that what can often happen is that residue gets stuck in the corners and stays there. I told him that I own a Monochrom, live in Baltimore (humid in the summertime, but I don't think it's the type and duration of humidity they're talking about), and only use a Rocket-type blower to clean dust off the sensor. Anything like a smudge or something that requires more extensive cleaning, I send to Leica. He said that if I keep doing what I'm doing, then I have nothing to worry about.

I did ask him about someone from Leica (he did not know JJ Viau) posting information on a forum, rather than in an 'official' capacity on the Leica website, and he said that he was going to look into it. I gave him the info for both the LUF thread and for this thread here. As far as he was aware, there was nothing 'official' from Leica regarding this issue. So it may possibly be internet overreaction, but don't quote me on that!

Personally, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about it. Leica has been pretty responsive to any issues that I've had with my Monochrom (admittedly, it has had some, but fingers crossed it's fine now), so I'm just going to carry on and keep taking photos.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #88
Vince Lupo
Registered User
 
Vince Lupo's Avatar
 
Vince Lupo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA; Toronto, Ont, Canada
Posts: 3,935
I think blowing with a bulb-type blower is fine - I'm not worried (if I were using canned air, I'd be a bit more concerned). Been doing it this way with all my digital cameras I use for work for the last 14 years. Plus, if there is any speck of dust here or there on the image, there's this thing called PhotoShop.....
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #89
VertovSvilova
Registered User
 
VertovSvilova's Avatar
 
VertovSvilova is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
About the sensor blowing - my friend is working in official Canon service, reparing cameras ane lens for more than 30y, servicing digital cameras from the very begining. He says that blowing can easily blow dust under the IR sensor cover and that there is no way to get it out then.. So good luck with the blowing as well..
Nikon specifically says to use a blower for cleaning the sensor of their cameras. It's in the user's manual (e.g., starting on page 394 of the D800 manual under the section "Cleaning." There are four pages on how to clean the sensor's cover with a blower.)

In addition, and just like ALL digital camera manufacturers, they also say this: "Dirt that cannot be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the filter." None of the manufactures want you to risk scratching the cover glass of your sensor. But most everyone will wet clean the sensor themselves, and Nikon knows this. But obviously the user is normally not under warranty if they damage the sensor themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Well, it makes my choice easier for used digital camera, if I have to. Leica is excluded, as bad lottery. It is now only between Sony and Canon for FF for me. As of now I have no problem with wet cleaning of my Canon 5D sensor, because this old camera was made by manufacturer who seems to have some clue about digital cameras.

And I just ordered 200' of film under $100 as total for my beaten outside, yet beautiful M4-2 .
Leica and Film - “together forever”!
fwiw, I sold my M9 early on. Mainly because while I did like certain things about it (it is a digital true optical rangefinder that can use my Leica and M mount lenses natively), I also felt that in the end it wasn't really worth the high price tag to me. The electronic side of it was dated and not any better than other brands (plus the clunky shutter sound started to annoy me.) For me, Leica means their film cameras and the excellent optics for those cameras. I had hoped (and still do hope) that a digital Leica would be 'state of the art' like their rangefinder film cameras have been (or at least close to) over the decades.

I think I'd rather see Leica contract out all their sensors, electronics, and software coding to somebody well experienced like Sony. I have no issue with having Sony sensors in my cameras (Nikon uses them, and even Leica uses them in the X and T cameras.) We all use the same existing film types with any brand of film camera we have. So while the cameras and the lenses are different, we do use the same "sensors." And the manufacturers can still tweak their processors and their coding for their own specific signature (which is exactly what they do anyway.)

I do have faith that Leica will improve. Digital is relatively new for them and while it's unfortunate that they are using consumers as their test lab, they are learning. And they do know that they have to get better at it. In the meantime I'll personally sit them out for a while until a $6-7k camera is really a $6-7k camera and not just a "digital rangefinder" that can use Leica lenses.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014   #90
silverbullet
Registered User
 
silverbullet's Avatar
 
silverbullet is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
It will be interesting to see if this issue is 'officially' posted on their website, newsfeed etc., rather than a camera forum. At the moment it's sounding like the Takata airbag of the camera world. Or at least people online are making it seem that way.
By not informing 'official' Leica protects the stock of new and used Ms on dealers' shelfs. And Leicas from sellers at ebay which don't know this issue because they aren't so active in forums.
With every week the clock is running against uninformed users because Leica established this repair programme with a fixed time table.

Curiosity: owners of defective M8 got an upgrade against payment for the M9, at the end the next trap…..

Even pictures out of the M9xxxx without visible spots are no guarantee for a good sensor, a check should be done with professional devices with magnifiers and light.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #91
V-12
Registered User
 
V-12 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYV_146 View Post
I think they've made it clear that this issue has and will not be completely resolved on future cameras, and not even on new sensors.
I am sorry, but you accuse me of anecdotal evidence and then you make wild conjectures about the future?!

I'm not going to re-write what I said all over again, to re-iterate the context and allow me to quote myself, because it was a long post, and it was deleted because of one word that appeared in it. But lets just say all the fuss being made is symptomatic of a few people now latching on to the situation and wanting a camera upgrade for free even if their camera hasn't got a problem. It is the 'I'm owed' society at work and with the scent of free money running rife no sense is going to be made in this thread so I quit arguing over it.

V
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #92
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,755
Obviously industry needs to address sensor cleaning issue as this should be considered a routine task. If lens is allowed to leave body then either make it way user can't easily ruin sensor or make cleaning easy, fast send-out maintenance routine (two months sounds so pre-XI to me). Really great would be to include three cleanings into the package, someone would use them over whole lifetime of camera or not use at all and someone go through in first 6 months, who cares just later they have to pay.
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #93
silverbullet
Registered User
 
silverbullet's Avatar
 
silverbullet is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Obviously industry needs to address sensor cleaning issue as this should be considered a routine task. If lens is allowed to leave body then either make it way user can't easily ruin sensor or make cleaning easy, fast send-out maintenance routine (two months sounds so pre-XI to me). Really great would be to include three cleanings into the package, someone would use them over whole lifetime of camera or not use at all and someone go through in first 6 months, who cares just later they have to pay.
Leica has/had small movies on youtube and vimeo about wet cleaning as well as instructions on their homepage which had been removed in the last days. Clever users have already screen shots of the removed parts…..
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #94
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
Leica has/had small movies on youtube and vimeo about wet cleaning as well as instructions on their homepage which had been removed in the last days. Clever users have already screen shots of the removed parts…..
Internet age suggests manufacturer can easily supply latest maintenance advices and update them as changes occur (remember days when manuals and videos arrived on round shiny discs, btw where they were supposed to put, under coffee mug?!?).

Another thing would be sensor cleaning sensor that would register physical touches to sensor (or glass in front of it, rather) so if manual states don't touch it there would be some evidence rather than technicians opinion IKNOWBETTER.
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #95
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I don't think any recent product has been beat up more than the Nikon Df. I've owned both an M9 and currently own a Df. The beating Nikon has taken would have been praise if the Df had a red dot on the front. The beating that Nikon has taken wasn't even over performance and reliabity. It was over cosmetics. I'm afraid it all about the name.
This is not all true. The Df got it because of its questionable ergonomics, just above average build quality with a mix-up of different materials including plastic, and basic viewfinder without OEM interchangeable screens. This "beating" came from faithful Nikonians being heavily disappointed by the camera, in comparison with what it could (and should) have been.

Of course there was some mockery out there coming from people not liking the Df cosmetics, but those weren't people having waited for the camera with some hot interest, and this was quite marginal.

Back to the topic : Leica strategy is clearly achieved to bring M9 and M9-P owners to purchase an M240. There are even offers sent to owners of M9s and M9-Ps with delaminating sensors for a discount on a new M240 if they agree to leave their ill M9s and M9-Ps at the factory forever...

Not stupid afterall.

There is nothing more outrageous in what they do than what Nikon did with the D600.

Seems that dirty sensors is the main problem of the digital age, in spite of all automatic cleaning devices implemented inside the cameras...
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #96
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,347
Six months since my nearly three year old M9 sensor was replaced. I change lenses occasionally. I might have Giotto blown it once since. Monochrom one year old now. Sensor recently remapped for one misbehaving pixel, for free. Two cameras with inevitable cover glass problems still? I assume so, but I am not panicking. It is easy to forget how marvellous these cameras are. One of them goes with me to work every day and out for a walk at lunchtime. They've worked as I've wanted and surpassed my expectations. All my lenses remain in play. Worst case scenario I'll be back to film again for most things in about ten years, still not needing new lenses. See Mike Johnston's letter to George (The Onlne Photographer) about the near $20k you can spend to eventually arrive at your destination of full frame versatility and some fast primes. I've always been there. I hardly have or have had one dud camera. So I have to replace one more sensor or two in ten years? For what these cameras can do? So be it. And there's a plan of the manufacturer to be in a position to offer this for a decade? With stepped subsidies? Wow. Just wow.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #97
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Six months since my nearly three year old M9 sensor was replaced. I change lenses occasionally. I might have Giotto blown it once since. Monochrom one year old now. Sensor recently remapped for one misbehaving pixel, for free. Two cameras with inevitable cover glass problems still? I assume so, but I am not panicking. It is easy to forget how marvellous these cameras are. One of them goes with me to work every day and out for a walk at lunchtime. They've worked as I've wanted and surpassed my expectations. All my lenses remain in play. Worst case scenario I'll be back to film again for most things in about ten years, still not needing new lenses. See Mike Johnston's letter to George (The Onlne Photographer) about the near $20k you can spend to eventually arrive at your destination of full frame versatility and some fast primes. I've always been there. I hardly have or have had one dud camera. So I have to replace one more sensor or two in ten years? For what these cameras can do? So be it. And there's a plan of the manufacturer to be in a position to offer this for a decade? With stepped subsidies? Wow. Just wow.
Nice post, good to read this.

If you think of film Leica M cameras, lots of them had problems as well (shutter capping at 1/1000, slow speeds easily gumming up, RF patches flaring like crazy on some M6s, vulcanite getting brittle, poor quality black chrome finish on the M4-2 and M4-P, etc).

A camera is a precision tool. As well manufactured as it can be, it cannot be perfect.

Even when it's very expensive. Leica never threatened anybody so that they bought their cameras.

Yes, Leica still surf on their "A Leica for a lifetime" old saying. So what ? They would be stupid if they weren't.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #98
Vobluda
Registered User
 
Vobluda is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Age: 41
Posts: 825
Sorry, but compared to Nikon what Leica has done is completely outrageous.
Nikon will replace either shutter or camera in case of D600 for unlimited period of time for free. And it doesn't matter where has the camera been purchased and when.
Also, the issue has been solved with D610.

Compare it to Leica prices for shutter replacement and the fact that the issues has not been solved. Even though they are aware of the issue they are still both selling and producing cameras that could be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
There is nothing more outrageous in what they do than what Nikon did with the D600.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #99
Mcary
Registered User
 
Mcary is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia USA
Age: 55
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by xleic View Post
Are you sure?
There's a video showing an M9 being assembled which clearly shows the "Sensor Unit" including circuit board, sensor, and sensor cover coming from the sensor maker as a single unit. Leica's a camera not an electronic company so its likely that all its sensor units come from the subcontractor(s) as an assembled unit ready to be inserted into the camera body by Leica.
__________________
M. Cary
Trying to see something new whither I'm visiting someplace new or a place that I've been a dozens of times before.
Tumblr http://www.tumblr.com/blog/mcaryartnude
Not work safe

  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #100
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
Sorry, but compared to Nikon what Leica has done is completely outrageous.
Nikon will replace either shutter or camera in case of D600 for unlimited period of time for free. And it doesn't matter where has the camera been purchased and when.
Also, the issue has been solved with D610.

Compare it to Leica prices for shutter replacement and the fact that the issues has not been solved. Even though they are aware of the issue they are still both selling and producing cameras that could be affected.
Maybe. I don't own any Leica digital M so, not having been involved myself, I can only see it through an external window, and it looks like Leica do their best to solve it the way they can without having this driving them to bankrupt.

The release of the M-E might have been their worst idea, given that it's been released after they became aware of the problem which had affected many M9s and M9-Ps already.

Clearly the best solution for any M digital user onwards from now is to get an M240. Of course, it's not a freebie.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #101
xleic
Registered User
 
xleic is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcary View Post
There's a video showing an M9 being assembled which clearly shows the "Sensor Unit" including circuit board, sensor, and sensor cover coming from the sensor maker as a single unit. Leica's a camera not an electronic company so its likely that all its sensor units come from the subcontractor(s) as an assembled unit ready to be inserted into the camera body by Leica.
Yes but Edward wrote: "not only the sensor is replaced, but the entire board and battery/card slots as well because they all come in one piece."

I cant see any battery/card slots
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #102
EdwardKaraa
Registered User
 
EdwardKaraa's Avatar
 
EdwardKaraa is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangkok
Age: 48
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by xleic View Post
Yes but Edward wrote: "not only the sensor is replaced, but the entire board and battery/card slots as well because they all come in one piece."

I cant see any battery/card slots
Sorry I must have been more careful with my wording. As far as I know, from several sources, that the card and battery contacts are part of the board. It's not the slot or housing themselves. Sorry for any confusion.
__________________
M240 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/1.5 50/2 85/2
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #103
John Thawley
Registered User
 
John Thawley is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bonita Springs, FL
Posts: 6
I had this problem with my M9. I was unaware it had become a wider problem until seeing this thread.

My "corrosion" appeared on the edge of the frame. It look the the edges of an atique mirror looks.... kind of grey-ish brown marble effect. It appeared as if it might be between the glass and the sensor.

Leica replaced the CCD/Circuit board free of charge AND... replaced an O ring in the motor coupling and replaced the Vulcanite body covering with the new leather covering.

I'm pleased with the service. As always.
__________________
• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
Personal SiteJust My PhotosSports Car Insider
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #104
Vince Lupo
Registered User
 
Vince Lupo's Avatar
 
Vince Lupo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA; Toronto, Ont, Canada
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
I had this problem with my M9. I was unaware it had become a wider problem until seeing this thread.

My "corrosion" appeared on the edge of the frame. It look the the edges of an atique mirror looks.... kind of grey-ish brown marble effect. It appeared as if it might be between the glass and the sensor.

Leica replaced the CCD/Circuit board free of charge AND... replaced an O ring in the motor coupling and replaced the Vulcanite body covering with the new leather covering.

I'm pleased with the service. As always.
Just curious - had you done any 'wet' cleaning to the sensor yourself before the 'corrosion' occurred on your sensor?
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #105
xleic
Registered User
 
xleic is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardKaraa View Post
Sorry I must have been more careful with my wording. As far as I know, from several sources, that the card and battery contacts are part of the board. It's not the slot or housing themselves. Sorry for any confusion.
Thanks, I understand now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #106
John Thawley
Registered User
 
John Thawley is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bonita Springs, FL
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Just curious - had you done any 'wet' cleaning to the sensor yourself before the 'corrosion' occurred on your sensor?
That is a distinct possibility, Vince. Though I don't recall. Also, I had the sensor cleaned at a store in Toronto during a trip there. I'm not sure what method they use.
__________________
• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
Personal SiteJust My PhotosSports Car Insider
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #107
Vince Lupo
Registered User
 
Vince Lupo's Avatar
 
Vince Lupo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA; Toronto, Ont, Canada
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
That is a distinct possibility, Vince. Though I don't recall. Also, I had the sensor cleaned at a store in Toronto during a trip there. I'm not sure what method they use.
Reason I ask is that when I spoke with Mark at Leica NJ, he mentioned the possibility of residue accumulating in the corners if one 'wet' cleans. Plus you mentioned about a discoloration on the edges of the frame -- not that correlation implies causation, but it was just a thought.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #108
hausen
Registered User
 
hausen is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 910
Have contacted my local Leica agent to ask them the question and will take it in for a checkup.
__________________
David
Auckland, NZ

Far too many cameras & lenses!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #109
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 62
Posts: 2,649
Well, my M9 is due for its' annual cleaning. For the past 2 years I have taken it to a local technician that I trust. This year I wrapped it up and shipped it off to Leica USA to have it cleaned and checked out. Though I haven't noticed anything, it is now 4 years old so I guess we will see if there is a problem. My technician charges me $50 for a full cleaning, I guess we will find out what Leica USA charges!

It is kind of funny in a way. I seem to have no problem cleaning the sensors on my other cameras, but I have always shied away from doing it on the M9. What seems odd is that I have been cleaning my Pentax two or three times a year for over eight years and still have not experienced any problems.
__________________
"Your 1st 10,000 Photographs Are Your Worst"
HCBresson

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #110
willie_901
Registered User
 
willie_901's Avatar
 
willie_901 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,424
After reading the Leica User Forum mega-thread on this subject, a likely hypothesis would be the M9s' Schott S8612 IR filter is responsible for the majority of these defects. Neither the color-filter array or sensor electronics' architecture/manufacturing methods (CCD) are involved.

The S8612 IR filter is degraded by humidity. There are links to the Schott spec sheets in Leica Forum posts. To summarize, the more efficient the filter, the more susceptible the filter is to humidity damage. As many here know, the M IR filter must be atypically thin in order to provide optimum optical performance with M lenses and retain some similarity to the classic M body thickness. This means it must be very efficient.

If the IR cover glass is responsible for these defects, it seems the the issue can only be eliminated by changing IR filter suppliers or by improving the protective coating used to minimize humidity degradation. Wet cleaning could be relevant for alcohol-based cleaning funds. Alcohol is highly hydroscopic and dissolved water might increase the rate of deterioration. Should alcohol become trapped behind the IR filter layer of the sensor cover, there could be prolonged contact with water.

Unfortunately this hypothesis suggests all M bodies with IR filters are at risk for humidity damage to the IR filter layer. No one seems to know what changes, if any, are implemented in replacement parts.
__________________
"Perspective is governed by where you stand – object size and the angle of view included in the picture is determined by focal length." H.S. Newcombe

williamchuttonjr.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #111
YYV_146
Registered User
 
YYV_146's Avatar
 
YYV_146 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Age: 30
Posts: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Well, my M9 is due for its' annual cleaning. For the past 2 years I have taken it to a local technician that I trust. This year I wrapped it up and shipped it off to Leica USA to have it cleaned and checked out. Though I haven't noticed anything, it is now 4 years old so I guess we will see if there is a problem. My technician charges me $50 for a full cleaning, I guess we will find out what Leica USA charges!

It is kind of funny in a way. I seem to have no problem cleaning the sensors on my other cameras, but I have always shied away from doing it on the M9. What seems odd is that I have been cleaning my Pentax two or three times a year for over eight years and still have not experienced any problems.
I wipe my Sony bodies at least monthly, sometimes twice a week. I have an unfortunate habit of hastily changing lenses outside, and the sensor catches dust...Never had a single issue.
__________________
Victor is too lazy for DSLRs

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #112
yossarian123
Sam I Am
 
yossarian123's Avatar
 
yossarian123 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Age: 40
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
It is kind of funny in a way. I seem to have no problem cleaning the sensors on my other cameras, but I have always shied away from doing it on the M9. What seems odd is that I have been cleaning my Pentax two or three times a year for over eight years and still have not experienced any problems.
Could it be the thought of bricking something with the stratospheric price tag of an M9?

Back when I first bought my M9 (before I knew that the digital M bodies were as fragile as sparrows eggs), I used to wet clean my sensor every few months. The first time I was sweating bullets - way more than any other digital body I've ever cleaned. BTW, that M9 went back to NJ to have the sensor replaced. i've owned my MM for 8 months now and I haven't cleaned the sensor once, I just use a rocket blower every week or so and it's stayed perfectly clean.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014   #113
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
I just got off the phone with Mark in the technical support department at Leica NJ. He didn't know anything about the online frenzy that was going on, so I read some of it to him. He said that he had heard of some sensors having issues, but only ones that have been exposed to extremely humid conditions for an extended period of time. I asked him about 'wet' cleaning of sensors by owners themselves, and he personally didn't recommend it. He said that what can often happen is that residue gets stuck in the corners and stays there. I told him that I own a Monochrom, live in Baltimore (humid in the summertime, but I don't think it's the type and duration of humidity they're talking about), and only use a Rocket-type blower to clean dust off the sensor. Anything like a smudge or something that requires more extensive cleaning, I send to Leica. He said that if I keep doing what I'm doing, then I have nothing to worry about.

I did ask him about someone from Leica (he did not know JJ Viau) posting information on a forum, rather than in an 'official' capacity on the Leica website, and he said that he was going to look into it. I gave him the info for both the LUF thread and for this thread here. As far as he was aware, there was nothing 'official' from Leica regarding this issue. So it may possibly be internet overreaction, but don't quote me on that!

Personally, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about it. Leica has been pretty responsive to any issues that I've had with my Monochrom (admittedly, it has had some, but fingers crossed it's fine now), so I'm just going to carry on and keep taking photos.
Let the herd panic. More grass for us

For my needs and goals the M9 is the best camera in the world today. I would not trade for the 240 even if they were the same price. I love it and take it everywhere on all sorts of conditions. It got a new sensor just before I bought it in January. I have not done anything but blow the sensor and it needs a cleaning, so I appreciate the detailed "best practices" above.

As to rest.....wake me when some one really gets the shaft from Leica. Most stories I hear today are the opposite, like Raid's.

Stated policies are one thing, and I could care less about them. Real experiences are another matter.

Worst case we may need to let one of the shops which regularly change out sensor covers fix a "delaminated" M9.

You don't like Leica re M9? Don't get one. Makes those of us who love them look that much better LOL

Even my 15 yr old daughter loves to shoot it:

Father Figure by unoh7, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #114
silverbullet
Registered User
 
silverbullet's Avatar
 
silverbullet is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 249
The new official statement from Mr. Viau/Leica:

"As promised, we´d like to address a number of questions you have regarding the issue with our CCD sensor and be as clear as possible.

First let us state that we regret any inconveniences you may face and do investigate measures to durably fix the problem while still offering the best possible optical performance.

By a repair, we replace the CCD sensor with a sensor of the same type we use for serial production. We can thus not exclude totally a new case of corrosion after repair. Therefore, the goodwill arrangement also applies for a replaced sensor, which shows signs of corrosion. In these cases we will consider the sensor replacement date the same as the purchasing date.

We think that any potential damages of the sensor surface can occur due to cleaning the sensor and can lead to corrosion. We, therefore, advice to clean the sensor without touching it or in a dust-free environment such as in Leica Customer Care. We don’t want to convey the impression that you are not able to clean the sensor yourselves. If you are confident performing a sensor cleaning yourself, you may do so. But please be aware that the risk, when using wet cleaning solutions in the field, is higher.

At Leica, we use “Isopropanol” (isopropyl alcohol) and the following tools to clean the sensor, in the production as well as by the Customer Care:
Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1:
Sensor Cleaning Kit
Cleaning swabs made by ‘Visible Dust’:
Camera sensor cleaning — Arctic Butterfly sensor brush, loupe, swabs, liquids

With great care and attention, you may also use these for cleaning the sensor yourselves. Essential for not damaging the sensor is to painstakingly observe the manufacturers’ instructions and only work with new and unsoiled cleaning aids.
We kindly ask you for your understanding that sensors showing visible mechanical scratch marks occurring from improper cleaning attempts cannot be covered by the warranty and goodwill arrangement.
This is also the reason why we offer to perform cleaning at the Leica Customer Care, free of charge and as often as needs to be.

Should you be considering an upgrade to a Leica M or M-P (Type 240), Customer Care will make you an attractive offer as a part of our goodwill arrangement.

JJ Viau - Digital Marketing with Stefan Daniel - Director Product Management Photo
Leica Camera"
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #115
Vince Lupo
Registered User
 
Vince Lupo's Avatar
 
Vince Lupo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA; Toronto, Ont, Canada
Posts: 3,935
Thanks for posting this info. So it sounds like if you're strictly using 'dry', touch-free cleaning methods (like a Rocket blower), you shouldn't have any troubles.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #116
Monochrom
Registered User
 
Monochrom's Avatar
 
Monochrom is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,025
So mr Leica doesn´t think corrosion maybe caused by high humidity ambient.

BTW i´ve cleaned my sensor only 3 times...i use a swab with alcohol.
__________________
M9 Vc 28/3.5 Ltm 5/3.5
Leica IIIF Black Paint
Fuji Gf670
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #117
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,093
Soon is my two year anniversary of owning a Monochrom. I kinda freaked out about sensor cleaning, after reading posts about how the Leica sensors are "dirt magnets," and after owning and shooting my Monochrom for 6-8 months without any sensor inspection or cleaning.

I ended up buying a Visible dust kit that included an Arctic Butterfly, a bulb blower, and this wonderful illiminated loupe. When I inspected the sensor for the first time I was relieved to see only three specks of dust and an oily streak that required a wet cleaning.

I take care to limit my lens changing indoors, and since this first initial wet cleaning all I have had to do to clean the sensor is blow out any speck of dust with the hand bulb blower. I found that in my case sensor maintenance is minimal. I periodically check my sensor and find it to be clean, and if any dust accumulated I am able to just blow it off before it gets imbedded. The Visible Dust magnifier makes this task easy.

I figure I have another two months until my two years of ownership is up, then if any sensor issue arises I still have another year to get this addressed. I consider the Monochrom a great camera and money well spent because it helped make me into a better photographer. Even if I have to get the sensor replaced, I would expect another three years of usage, and any more usage after six years is a bonus. Would love to use and keep my Monochrom going forward a lot longer if possible...

Understand though that I have a friend who owns a M9 that he had upgraded into a M9P. Very recently Leica replaced the sensor for free when my friend sent his M9P for a sensor cleaning.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #118
Sumolux
Registered User
 
Sumolux's Avatar
 
Sumolux is offline
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 45
I am glad that at least on rangefinderforum all these can all be discussed and debated.

The only thing the moderators (if they can be called that) on l-camerforum bring up is an immediate knee jerk: "Canon also has problems, Nikon the same, bla bla bla" or even worse 'get used to it, that is just the way the digital world works.' as if anyone who complains about these issues is total idiot. So the discussion gets nowhere fast as it is tamped down.

For me anyway, this thread - with all its positives and negatives -has at least brought up interesting issues to think about regarding sensor cleaning, such as the possible influence of moisture, which I never even considered as a possible issue.

Sumolux
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #119
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Viau
Should you be considering an upgrade to a Leica M or M-P (Type 240), Customer Care will make you an attractive offer as a part of our goodwill arrangement.

JJ Viau - Digital Marketing with Stefan Daniel - Director Product Management Photo
Leica Camera"
...

__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014   #120
silverbullet
Registered User
 
silverbullet's Avatar
 
silverbullet is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 249
More than one year ago these sensor-irritations started. With every new case the only statement was "just a single case - don't worry"

But CCD/CMOS production is so delicate and compare to other mass production items so uniform, that there is more or less no tolerance between them. When sensor wafer A shows problems then all 4 neighbors must have the same, placed at the edge only 3 as a maximum. Those pieces are traceable and selected and kicked off.

Therefore the statement 'single case' was silly and only used to calm down forums.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:22.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.