Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

lens hood for 35mmf2
Old 08-19-2014   #1
JSteed#2

lens hood for 35mmf2

Hello all
Thanks for the images and info. I know that the 35mmf2 ltm has an odd filter size, and needs a step up ring to mount a lens hood. Does anyone know where I can find the ring and hood? Love the lens and want to maximize its strong sun daylight use.
John W

Old 08-19-2014   #2
Tony Whitney

What lens is that? I've been buying a few oddball lens hoods lately and may have some useful info for you...TW

Old 08-19-2014   #3
peterm1

Go to ebay and do two searches, one for a "stepping ring" or "step up ring" and another for metal hood. I needed a metal hood for my 50mm f1.8 Canon which from memory is 40mm (not sure about the 35mm f2 Canon lenses which I think is what you are speaking about but I suspect its the same). Bear in mind that many vendors on ebay sell 40mm hood so if you find one you will not need the step up ring. If you need for example a step up ring for a 43mm hood on a 40mm filter ring then the step ring search would be something like "Step ring 40mm-43mm" Substitute the actual diameters you require. The search for hoods is best undertaken when in the ebay lens section and I think the stepping rings have their own sub category under camera accessories.

Also you can try an ebay store.....Heavystar is a well known store (which has a presence on ebay) that sells such things but there are others. Below you find links to a ring and hoods I like and have purchased for various lenses I use. The hood I prefer which works with a 43mm filter mount works on Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 lens (which itself has a 43mm filter) so should work on a 35mm f2 even though it looks too deep. Because its 43mm it is big enough to fit of several different lenses with changes to the step up ring to match them as needed. And its wide enough to cope with a lens that is wider than 50mm. Hence I use the same hood on a Leica 50mm f2 (39mm filter), a Leica 50mm f1.5 (41mm) and an Olympus lens for M4/3 with a 37mm filter ring - all using different step up rings and the single hood).

I have also included a link to a more traditional type hood with vents / cut outs.

Step ring

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330846212548...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My favourite hood for rangefinder lenses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281081773845...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Traditional Leica type vented hoods

43mm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Leica-M-...item231be139ea

40mm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Camera-s...item1c333186b0

Old 08-19-2014   #4
kuujinbo

According to this, 40mm filter:

https://cameraquest.com/crflen.htm

So this should work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281411957790

Old 08-19-2014   #5
Mablo

Canon 35mm/f2 and 35mm/f1.8 (LTM) will both cause vignetting when used with a lens hood. A step up ring doesn't make it any better I'm afraid. Even if you mount just the step up ring and no hood the lens will vignette somewhat.

Old 08-20-2014   #6
Mark Wood

The lens hood for the Fuji X10 has a 40mm thread and should be OK with a 35mm lens. It takes standard 52mm filters on an internal thread too, which opens up the possibility of using a wide variety of cheap filters.

I've just picked up a 35/2.8 Canon lens and the X10 hood fits perfectly and looks to be almost exactly the same size as the hood for the original Leica 35/1.4 pre-aspherical Summilux. As the Fuji X10 is the equivalent of a 28mm lens at its wideangle end, I can't see any reason why vignetting should be a problem.

There seem to be plenty of copies of the X10 hood on eBay at a sensible price too, such as the one Peter has pointed to in his last link.

Old 08-20-2014   #7
JSteed#2

Thanks to all for your time and advice. I will look into the vignetting issue and report back.

Old 11-28-2014   #8
Jonathan

I managed to pick up an old Canon Series VI hood.
A few minutes with a Dremel & some black paint & was set!
Also, as a bonus the hood unscrews to allow filters.
Hope this helps

Old 11-28-2014   #9
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mablo View Post
Canon 35mm/f2 and 35mm/f1.8 (LTM) will both cause vignetting when used with a lens hood. A step up ring doesn't make it any better I'm afraid. Even if you mount just the step up ring and no hood the lens will vignette somewhat.
I agree with this^^^^^. I use a 40-43mm step up ring I got from Heavystar, but only when using filters on the lens. But the front element on the Canon 35/2.0 is recessed enough that you don't need a hood. I've used mine in pretty strong lighting situations and did not have a lot of problems with flare.

M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery