Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Digital M Reported Problems - all Models

View Poll Results: Do you have dust melted on the sensor of the M9?
Yes, i do, but I do not know what to do 0 0%
I have not checked, but I am going to 4 66.67%
Yes, Leica replaced my sensor at no cost because the used a cheap cover on the sensor 0 0%
Yes, but I had to buy a new sensor and hope the new one is not prone to the same 1 16.67%
I do not care, I clone out that dust bunny 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone with dust melted into the sensor of the M9?
Old 12-21-2013   #1
pepeguitarra

Anyone with dust melted into the sensor of the M9?

After reading a post of someone explaining that some of the dust particles on the sensor of a Leica M9 melted into the sensor, I checked my M9 and found two sets of "dust particles" that apparently melted into the sensor. They do not go away by blowing or cleaning like they do on the Canon sensors. I read that the person with this problems got a new sensor from Leica. Anyone has this problem? Have you not checked your sensor for stubborn dust particles?

Old 12-21-2013   #2
Pioneer

I blow mine clear occasionally and have it cleaned by an experienced repair technician twice per year. Nothing yet.

Of course your little poll automatically assumes that you have this type of dust so I will not be able to vote.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 12-21-2013   #3
jarski

wonder if op tried cleaning with chemical and swab (or pay technician do it). when I had M8, some dust particles were too stubborn to leave sensor by using only blower.

Old 12-21-2013   #4
ChrisN
Striving

Probably spots of oil splashed from the shutter.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-21-2013   #5
Fraser

The last time I cleaned my sensor myself I couldn't get it cleaned one mark just wouldn't move and I thought the sensor was damaged took it to my usual repair man half an hour later he had it spotless.

Old 12-22-2013   #6
ajramirez

I do not know if the dust particles were melted onto the sensor, but early this year, I had spots that simply would not budge. My local technician thought that the dust was behind the cover glass. Leica replaced the sensor under warranty free of cost.

Old 12-22-2013   #7
NazgulKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajramirez View Post
I do not know if the dust particles were melted onto the sensor, but early this year, I had spots that simply would not budge. My local technician thought that the dust was behind the cover glass. Leica replaced the sensor under warranty free of cost.
Probably sensor coating degradation. I had 'spots' that turned out to be anything but benign.

Old 12-22-2013   #8
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Probably spots of oil splashed from the shutter.
OP has an M9, not a D600.

Old 12-22-2013   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

I cleaned my M9 sensor a few months ago, and my M8 sensor a few days ago. Now, both sensors are free of spots.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-22-2013   #10
willie_901

While it seems some M sensors are affected by coating degradation, I would have a professional camera technician clean the sensor before assuming the worst.

Leica must have a formal recommendation for what cleaning solutions are acceptable.

Sometimes dust accumulates solidifies on tiny oil droplet films or other contaminants and this sort of spotting can be stubborn to remove.

I have my DSLR sensors cleaned twice a year by an experienced technician and they come back spotless. I can not get them this clean myself. Many (most everyone!) people are more dexterous than me, so perhaps careful, skilled, patient owners could do a deep cleaning themselves.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 12-22-2013   #11
icebear

If you have succeeded to clean a MM sensor yourself, you'll laugh about cleaning a M9 sensor. And whatever "someone" [explaining that some of the dust particles on the sensor of a Leica M9 melted into the sensor] claims, the description of "melted" into the sensor is clearly BS.

Whatever dirt he got into his camera by changing lenses in a shxtstorm should be removable by proper wet cleaning with the right tools.
And no, I have never had anything "melted" into the sensors of my M9 or MM and I clean both of them myself.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 12-22-2013   #12
Vobluda

The dirt/dust can get between the sensor and IR filter.
Usually it gets there by blowing.
Try cleaning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
If you have succeeded to clean a MM sensor yourself, you'll laugh about cleaning a M9 sensor. And whatever "someone" [explaining that some of the dust particles on the sensor of a Leica M9 melted into the sensor] claims, the description of "melted" into the sensor is clearly BS.

Whatever dirt he got into his camera by changing lenses in a shxtstorm should be removable by proper wet cleaning with the right tools.
And no, I have never had anything "melted" into the sensors of my M9 or MM and I clean both of them myself.

Old 12-22-2013   #13
SausalitoDog

Whether it's Leica, Nikon or Canon (or anything), I have spoken with a number of photos who feel they are seeing less "daily" dust but more (infrequent) dust that is really glued on sensor. Most feel that the larger the sensor and number of pixels the great the heat that is created, especially from intense rapid shooting sessions.

If auto cleaning doesn't keep the sensor really clean, the longer you wait to clean it, the harder to get it clean (not new news but more important if your sensor is heating the dirt on more permanently).

Tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Update
Old 06-05-2015   #14
pepeguitarra

Update

The M9 had the famous degradation sensor experience by many other M9s. I sent it to Leica and got a new sensor under the "Good Will" warranty. It happened to be majour design/manufacture error by Leica.

Old 06-08-2015   #15
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post

+1.

Cleaning is not a big deal.

As far as stubborn dust: I found that most dust comes off with just the use of a blower ball, and use of my Actic Butterfly or a wet cleaning has not been necessary. After owning my MM9 for 2 1/2 years I only have performed one wet cleaning and that was after my first 7-8 months of ownership. I generally check my sensor once a month and simply blow the few specks if any before they bond where a more extensive cleaning was required by having to draw off the dust electrostatically with my Arctic Butterfly.

I recommend as maintenance to check your sensor once a month to prevent any possible stickiness and more complicated cleaning. Also know that I use a Visible Dust magnifier with a ring of LED's so I can actually see any dust or oil vividly. Please don't make a big deal out of nothing, or confuse a now known design defect with routine maintenance that should be your responsibility.

Cal

Old 06-08-2015   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Also know that I use a Visible Dust magnifier with a ring of LED's so I can actually see any dust or oil vividly.
Cal, you may have to bring this to the next meet-up.

Old 06-08-2015   #17
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Cal, you may have to bring this to the next meet-up.
John,

This Visible Dust magnifier with it's ring of LED's allows one to clearly see any dust or imperfection on a sensor. I can't see how anyone could do a cleaning or inspection without one.

I surely bring this magnifier to the next NYC Meet-Up.

Cal

Old 06-08-2015   #18
jsrockit

It sounds like a great thing to have for the digital M Cal.

Old 06-08-2015   #19
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It sounds like a great thing to have for the digital M Cal.
John,

I used this to check the Nikon D3X I bought that had less than 5K actuations: I found one spect of dust and used my blower ball to get rid of it. Seems to be the right tool for the job.

Cal

Old 06-08-2015   #20
kbg32
neo-romanticist

I can attest, for what it's worth, that the Visible Dust system is great.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-08-2015   #21
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
I can attest, for what it's worth, that the Visible Dust system is great.
Keith,

At the last NYC Meet-Up there were a lot of laughs about how much money I spent on my Visible Dust kit. The kit I bought was not inexpensive, but I think worth it if you want to maintain your camera.

Cal

Old 06-09-2015   #22
pepeguitarra

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
+1.

... Please don't make a big deal out of nothing, or confuse a now known design defect with routine maintenance that should be your responsibility.

Cal
Thanks for your comment. In fact, in Dec 2013,when I first posted my "melted dust into the sensor", I had no idea that there was a known effort to get Leica to accept a flaw in the design/construction of the M9. I thought it was my fault for not caring for the camera (although I do care). Finally, and thanks to the Leica Forum, I found out that it was a Leica flaw. I sent the camera, they agreed and changed the sensor and CLA my camera. I am very thankful. I do clean my Canon, Pentax sensors, but I hesitated to clean the Leica because of the warranty. As it turned out, it was not "melting" dust onto the sensor. Although, it looked that way. It was a corrosion from within the sensor and the cover. In any case. My M9 was good then, and is good now. I intent to keep is as log as I live. It is one of the best cameras, second only to my M8.2.

Old 06-10-2015   #23
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
Thanks for your comment. In fact, in Dec 2013,when I first posted my "melted dust into the sensor", I had no idea that there was a known effort to get Leica to accept a flaw in the design/construction of the M9. I thought it was my fault for not caring for the camera (although I do care). Finally, and thanks to the Leica Forum, I found out that it was a Leica flaw. I sent the camera, they agreed and changed the sensor and CLA my camera. I am very thankful. I do clean my Canon, Pentax sensors, but I hesitated to clean the Leica because of the warranty. As it turned out, it was not "melting" dust onto the sensor. Although, it looked that way. It was a corrosion from within the sensor and the cover. In any case. My M9 was good then, and is good now. I intent to keep is as log as I live. It is one of the best cameras, second only to my M8.2.
My comments are about dust that bonds strongly to the sensor due to the element of time. It has been my experience if a little preventitive maintenance is performed dust does not get the opportunity to get stubborn, and wet cleanings can be avoided.

Sorry to hear that you went through the corrosion difficulty. I love my MM9, and I intend on hopefully keeping it, even though also hopefully one day I want to also own the new M-246 also. It has been 2 1/2 years and I have no signs of corrosion.

Cal