Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 03-14-2012   #41
pinkarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdiesel View Post
...brown skinned Indian guy...in case it blows up.
don't be too sensitive, they might fear that the China made camera actually blowing up...

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/05/18/chinas-exploding-watermelon-scandal/#axzz1p9GsQWzl

Last edited by pinkarmy : 03-14-2012 at 18:30. Reason: info added

Old 03-14-2012   #42
zuiko85

Strangely, not very much, least wise not in the town I live in. Hardly anyone seems to notice at all, even when I've got a old Kodak 6X9 folder slung around my neck or on a tripod. Go figure.

Old 03-15-2012   #43
unixrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Vitessa View Post
I've found that shooting with a TLR makes people (strangers, too) instantly relax. They think it's wonderful to be photographed with such an antiquity, and can hardly believe that such a thing still works. Conversations usually follow.
I've noticed the same thing with my TLR. Even if you couldn't make a case for its practicality, the psychological effect of a Twin-lens is absolutely genuine; it makes people who would shy away from a DSLR want to be photographed.

I find the same thing; I've had a conversation or two while carrying a digital. Mostly other Pentaxians who see one of their own. But a film camera usually generates a smile or two. A Large Format camera generates stopped traffic, some "is-he-crazy" stares and a long conversation or two.

I like the attention. Does that make me vain?

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 03-15-2012   #44
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
I like the attention. Does that make me vain?
No, not at all... it makes you sociable.

Old 03-15-2012   #45
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....

Whoa, a bit early for that!

Me on flickr.

Old 03-15-2012   #46
jsrockit

Quote:
Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....
Good lord...

Old 03-16-2012   #47
unixrevolution

Quote:
I've had people walk up and start conversations when I've had a variety of my older film cameras with me - anything from a Wista 5x4, Rolleiflex, Leica or Voigtlander Perkeo. Last weekend a young male member of staff at a large high street computer retailer in London nearly had a wardrobe malfunction when he saw my Mamiya 7. I was trying to find out about something I want to buy my wife for her birthday but all he wanted to do was fondle my equipment.....
Did you tell him you have a wife?

Did you offer to let him hold the camera instead?

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 03-16-2012   #48
raid
Dad Photographer

I also find that friends and strangers alike are more interested in my film cameras than if I had used a digital camera (I only have two basic ones, out of which I is broken).

There is something about the craftmanship of old manual cameras that acts like a magnet for questions and smiles. A Leica Standard or M3 or M6 or any of the fine film cameras are like Rolls Royce cars. Old fashioned in style but built like rocks and worthy of interest by others.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-16-2012   #49
mathomas

I am doing the "100 Strangers" project (see the group on flickr). Most of my shots so far (I'm in the mid-30s) have been done with a Hasselblad setup, and sometimes with an instant film back. People definitely notice this monster, especially when I have an old, silver, C lens on it. It has helped me get many a shot, I believe. Plus, I love the results (I think square is great for portraits).

100 strangers: ian (35/100) by mike thomas, on Flickr

Older Objects
Old 03-16-2012   #50
Alfasud
Old Toys

Older Objects

My main photographic interests are in older objects. I drive a vintage Alfa Romeo, and photograph classic car events. I also belong to a classic boat group. Using classic cameras to take pictures at these events seems to provide a symbiotic effect. As this thread has noted people are interested in the build and quality of our classic film equipment. I have found that the owners of other classic 'toys' love to talk about my cameras. Often they will help to ensure that I get a good shot, by moving things around, or offering a ride. Classic cameras, for me, have provided an entree into the interests of others, as well as giving me a greater variety of photographic subjects.

If I age as well as my cameras, I'll do all right

Old 03-16-2012   #51
newsgrunt

nope. film cameras mean more irritating questions and less shooting time.

Old 03-23-2012   #52
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
What's funny is it is usually younger women...
Note to self: Move back to a big city, buy a TLR, Leica, or rebrand the FED with Leica badge [ducks for cover ]

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 03-30-2012   #53
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
So, are film cameras more likely to be more fun and a better conversation starter than a digital camera?

Well for me, at least, its definitely true.

Stephen
+1.

Stephen, I've made quite similar experiences.
When I am out with my DSLR (very seldom nowadays, I am returning more and more to film) absolutely nothing happens. No one is showing any reaction.

Completely different when I am in the streets with my film gear. Curious views and often comments. So far all of them very positive.
By far the most reactions I get when I am using one of my TLRs. People are always curious, ask me and start a conversation.
Interestingly in most cases women, especially younger ones are reacting very positive to TLRs.
TLRs seem to be a real "chick magnet" .
I don't know why, but it looks like there is a something like a 'magical connection' between TLRs and women ....you may have a look here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/girl-with-a-tlr/

I enjoy shooting with my film cameras out in the streets, places and public gardens, and have a nice conversation about photography, film and cameras from time to time.

Cheers, Jan

Old 03-30-2012   #54
Gumby

I find the complete opposite to be true. Digital, just like when shooting Polaroid back in hte "good old days", allows shooting and sharing... which is not as immediate when shooting film. With digital it is 'snap', "Hey, look at this great picture of you" versus film where it is 'snap', "I'll have that film processed by next week and then we can laugh at how funny you looked."

Old 03-30-2012   #55
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXForester View Post
Note to self: Move back to a big city, buy a TLR, Leica, or rebrand the FED with Leica badge [ducks for cover ]
I'm sure if you went looking for ladies with your camera, there wouldn't be any.

Old 03-30-2012   #56
Gumby

p.s. Only geeky middle-aged men seem interested in my film gear. That creeps me out at times.

Old 03-30-2012   #57
Robert Lai

So far, minimal response to my M7. Perhaps it looks too modern in Chicagoland.

When I was out with an Aires III at the Illinois Railway Museum, a few of the older men noticed it, and some mentioned that they had one of those in the past.

Anything with bellows and a lot of chrome seem to speak "ancient camera".
Perhaps I should bring out my Super Ikontas more. I got a lot of attention at a party when I brought my Polaroid 180 around. One young man who is a policeman stated that the police departments used to use Polaroid pack films for mug shots of newly arrested alleged felons, prior to going digital.

Based on what has been written above, it seems that the Rolleiflex is the one to bring outside, especially if I want attention from younger women!

Old 03-31-2012   #58
jayavant

I'm in Korea at the moment and seeing quite a lot of people walking around with film cameras. They seem to fall into two distinct camps: late middle aged men with Leicas, and young women with 35mm SLRs, typically Nikons or Pentaxes.

All of them notice my Leica IIIf with Elmar 3.5cm lens and Kiev universal finder looking like a Gatling gun. Many simply smile but quite a few come and speak to me. One Japanese man offered me money - more than I paid too - for my camera. I have a Rolleiflex with me too but it's usually in the bag and not so visible.

In Busan, Korea, there is even a coffee shop devoted to film photography. The walls are lined with literally thousands if photography books and a nice collection of film cameras sits on a shelf. All are free for handling and browsing. A great place and a very generous gesture by the owner, a respected photographer himself.

List of rangefinders currently in production (2012)
Old 04-05-2012   #59
specpro

List of rangefinders currently in production (2012)

Recently put together a list of film rangefinders currently in production: http://adventuresinphoto.com/2012/04...-rangefinders/

I've only had personal experience with the M7 and R4M. Would be great to hear forum members' experiences with these film rangefinders on the list.

Old 04-06-2012   #60
Peter_wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
I am doing the "100 Strangers" project (see the group on flickr). Most of my shots so far (I'm in the mid-30s) have been done with a Hasselblad setup, and sometimes with an instant film back. People definitely notice this monster, especially when I have an old, silver, C lens on it. It has helped me get many a shot, I believe. Plus, I love the results (I think square is great for portraits).

just watched your album and my compliments on your photos. i like that u capture quite different characters...

Old 06-10-2012   #61
heartattackandvine
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayavant View Post
In Busan, Korea, there is even a coffee shop devoted to film photography. The walls are lined with literally thousands if photography books and a nice collection of film cameras sits on a shelf. All are free for handling and browsing. A great place and a very generous gesture by the owner, a respected photographer himself.
Fantastic concept. Maybe it will give others the same idea, all over the world!

My Fujifilm Instax ("polaroid") that I got as present from Korea just became a little more dear to me.
"I like [...] the notion of art not being a quality in things, but the name of a type of interaction between you and something... If you start thinking of it as an interaction, it frees you from a lot of aesthetic problems. You don't have to decide whether something is or isn't art. All you have to know is whether it does that for some people." Brian Eno

Old 06-10-2012   #62
merciless49
I'm scared of clowns

When I use my analog cameras I usually get the "where are you from?" because I, Asian, appear to be a visitor. The most ridiculous question I've gotten before was "Oh have you visited such- and such- place?" when I was at a store looking at some vitamins to buy. Yep, and this was in my home town...

I wish most anecdotes are of friendly conversations and interesting people, but mostly I just get unsolicited advice about where to go and what to check out as if I am a tourist.

Old 06-10-2012   #63
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Twice in the last couple of months I've been asked ... "But where do you get your film from now that Kodak have gone broke?"

This makes me realise that 'Kodak' and 'film' are virtually the same word in most people's world's ... and they are usually genuinely surprised to find out that there is still a raft of other manufacturers out there making film for my antiquated and eccentric habit!

Old 06-10-2012   #64
jayavant

Back in Australia now. I live in a regional centre, Townsville - a city of about 150,000. Have been here 2 years. Before I moved here I got onto the Townsville flickr group and found a film user. We have become friends and meet regularly to talk photography and drink coffee. Funny thing - two of the waiters in the coffee shop where we meet also shoot film.

I'll look out some iPhone shots I took of the photography coffee shop in Busan.

Old 06-10-2012   #65
cosmonaut

I don't know what it is but I have noticed an increase in film haters. Even the old school photographers are buying the M9.
I really could care less what people think of me using film.

Old 06-10-2012   #66
jayavant

Here you go -

http://jayavant.tumblr.com/post/2484...hop-devoted-to

Old 06-10-2012   #67
heartattackandvine
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayavant View Post
Thanks, man. It looks like a nice place!
"I like [...] the notion of art not being a quality in things, but the name of a type of interaction between you and something... If you start thinking of it as an interaction, it frees you from a lot of aesthetic problems. You don't have to decide whether something is or isn't art. All you have to know is whether it does that for some people." Brian Eno

Old 07-04-2012   #68
Cagliostro73

Rome, Imperial forum. It's hot and I'm looking for a bit of shade. I sit down and I take the last shot in my Leica M2 roll.
Then I start rewinding, I open my M2 and start reloading it.
A couple get by. Middle age. I can hear him saying her: "look! it's film!!!"
Friendly chat.
Yes, leicas are friendly... film seems to be more friendly than digital
It happens most of the times...

www.flickr.com/zonasette

Epson RD-1s, Leica M2, summicron 40, 50, elmar 90, Fed 3b, industar 22, 61 L/D; jupiter 8, 9, 12.

Old 07-12-2012   #69
Kingsfan

I noticed I meet more people when I'm out with my R4M than my M8

Old 07-12-2012   #70
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
I don't know what it is but I have noticed an increase in film haters.
Me too. Why, do they feel threatened by us somehow?
I never bring up the subject but they seem compelled to confront.
Perhaps it is their own self-doubt.
I find it quite comical, absurd in fact. Sad, too...

Chris

Old 07-12-2012   #71
Corto

I have never met anyone that hates film

Old 07-12-2012   #72
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

Yep for me film cameras = more fun and more new friends

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 07-13-2012   #73
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

well, "friends" is a bit exaggerated for some random folks asking about my camera, or telling me their whoever-relative "had the same one'...
but, otherwise, i agree!
Definitely much more fun.

Old 07-13-2012   #74
Murchu

I think what I like most about film photography, is the ability to use manual cameras and minimise the available distractions, allowing me to focus entirely on seeing and looking. I think it's for this same reason that I like my own bubble when I am out photographing, and don't enjoy the distractions of interactions with other photographers, as it breaks my immersion in what's before my eyes. I find nothing so enjoyable as a big bright viewfinder, a single focal length, with controls only for aperture and shutter speed. You can turn off many of the bells and whistles on digital cameras, but there is still always the temptation to tinker, a temptation you do not have with a camera with only the most basic of controls.

Old 07-13-2012   #75
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murchu View Post
I think what I like most about film photography, is the ability to use manual cameras and minimise the available distractions, allowing me to focus entirely on seeing and looking.
Wouldn't a camera in full automatic mode allow you to focus on seeing better since you no longer need to worry about exposure and focus?

Old 07-13-2012   #76
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post

So, are film cameras more likely to be more fun and a better conversation starter than a digital camera?

Well for me, at least, its definitely true.

Stephen
+1 for me too......I get asked many questions about my Leica and Hasselblad and photography is very popular in Thailand (mostly DSLR's)

cheers, michael

Old 07-13-2012   #77
jsrockit

Cameras like the Leica M9, Leica X2, and Fuji X100 get a lot questions too.

Old 07-13-2012   #78
kshapero
My view

I went to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) in Virginia this week to play tourist. Really a fascinating places with incredible views. I was amazed at all the geeky tourists with their DSLR's. That really surprised me as I was not expecting so many more DSLR's over compact digi's. I got a few approaches as I was shooting a Nikon F. But mostly they were attracted by the really groovy brown leather wrist strap hanging off the F. Go figure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-13-2012   #79
michaelbialecki

Quote:
I am pretty sure that is true, I just don't have any of those cameras.....

cheers, michael

Old 07-13-2012   #80
kingqueenknave

Quote:
True, but the attention is immediately lost once they see the screen embedded in the back of those bodies. Then they roll their eyes in disinterest, if not disgust, and state, "I'm not your friend anymore."