Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Old 12-21-2011   #41
SuperUJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
He seemed very happy with you testing it out on him...
John, As a palm reader, I am sure he knew it was coming.

And, by the way, it was this very thread got me into the 2005 SP / 35mm f/1.8 set. Thanks Cal for showing me the negatives from his LTM version of the lens, it's comforting to see after such a significant cash outlay for the set. Will post some photos later to share. _John

Old 12-21-2011   #42
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUJ View Post
John, As a palm reader, I am sure he knew it was coming.

And, by the way, it was this very thread got me into the 2005 SP / 35mm f/1.8 set. Thanks Cal for showing me the negatives from his LTM version of the lens, it's comforting to see after such a significant cash outlay for the set. Will post some photos later to share. _John
John your 2005 SP with 35/1.8 was a sweet treat at the last NYC Meet-Up. What a great lens.

Cal

Old 12-21-2011   #43
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Another one with the 35f1.8. This is a visually quite interesting area, close to the cruise ship terminal and the new (and expensive) conference center here in Vancouver. A deep "pit" with the water fall and sloping lawns and hedges.
Nikon SP, 35f1.8,APX 400 in Td 201 2 bath developer

Old 12-21-2011   #44
Crazy Fedya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Helen,

I agree. BTW I have one of the rare 35/1.8's that were made in LTM.

Cal
I just made even rarer version of the lens. I shimmed S-mount one to work on my Contax IIa. Film is still in the camera. Hope to finish it soon and look at the results.

Old 12-31-2011   #45
furcafe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/furcafe/6605400933/

1/8th sec. @ f/2.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 12-31-2011   #46
rlouzan

Furcafe,

Lovely picture.

Happy New Years!
Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post

Old 12-12-2012   #47
menos

Finally, I am allowed to post here as well ;-)

35 1.8 W-Nikkor LTM - first shots - portrait - lady with hat by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Last edited by menos : 12-14-2012 at 01:16. Reason: flickr links broken

Old 12-12-2012   #48
semrich

Here is a recent shot I took with the LTM version.
Istanbul next to the Galata Bridge.

"The individual is an aperture through which the whole energy of the universe is aware of itself"...

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

http://www.rweatheredgallery.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79288469@N05/

Old 12-13-2012   #49
menos

Beautiful shot Richard! I love the glow around the lights, while the lens still retains plenty of detail (very different from the later Leica 35 Summilux).

Old 12-14-2012   #50
semrich

Dirk, interesting that you noticed that. I got the 35 summilux before the Nikkor and now like the Nikkor better for the smaller size, rendering, and even though it's a bit slower still does as well with night shots.

"The individual is an aperture through which the whole energy of the universe is aware of itself"...

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

Old 12-14-2012   #51
menos

Yes Richard, I am on a several years ongoing journey on finding the perfect fast 35mm lens - I had tried them all except a few exotics, I have on my list.

The few hours, I only have so far with the 35/1.8 W-Nikkor really impressed me a lot. This lens is truly special! I didn't have a night shoot with mine yet, but I will change that soon.

A street portrait of a young man, who crossed paths with me on my first day with the LTM W-Nikkor:

Old 12-14-2012   #52
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Yes Richard, I am on a several years ongoing journey on finding the perfect fast 35mm lens - I had tried them all except a few exotics, I have on my list.

The few hours, I only have so far with the 35/1.8 W-Nikkor really impressed me a lot. This lens is truly special! I didn't have a night shoot with mine yet, but I will change that soon.

A street portrait of a young man, who crossed paths with me on my first day with the LTM W-Nikkor:
Dirk,

Hopefully at the next NYC Meet-Up I can get Klaus to do a few shots using my 35/1.8 Nikkor in LTM on his MM.

I think the Nikkor is a magic lens. I think the amount of midrange on overcast or rainy days is mucho detailed.

Cal

Old 12-14-2012   #53
jsrockit

Very nice Dirk.

Old 12-14-2012   #54
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Very nice Dirk.
Dirk,

Plus one.

BTW the Thoriated glass on my Nikkor is slightly yellowed. Although single coated for vast midrange it still has this punchy contrast like in your image above. John (JSRockit) above reports a slight yellow cast on color shots on a M9.

Cal

Old 12-15-2012   #55
menos

Thanks Cal and John!

I am already in love with that lens!

Cal if you plan, to get a Mono, I strongly suggest you try this lens out on one - the detail is simply unbelievable until you have seen the files on the screen and did some prints.

I always read, how everybody loves this lens and found it's rendering in images always beautiful, but that this lens is SO special, I couldn't dream of.

Of course, I am a very fresh owner and enthusiastic, but I would judge, this lens is for me as significant in it's specie character than a Leica 50/1 or a Noct-Nikkor - very, special character and surprisingly very high resolution.

not to mention, how very tiny it is.

Old 12-16-2012   #56
helenhill
A Click in Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by semrich View Post
Here is a recent shot I took with the LTM version.
Istanbul next to the Galata Bridge.

Beautiful Richard ... Great Lens indeed
Have to AGREE, similar to the pre asph Lux 35 in Beautiful Glow
but the nikkor handles low lighting Better

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 12-16-2012   #57
semrich

Thanks Helen, never any regrets getting this lens, here's another shot from the same roll.

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

Old 12-17-2012   #58
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Thanks Cal and John!

I am already in love with that lens!

Cal if you plan, to get a Mono, I strongly suggest you try this lens out on one - the detail is simply unbelievable until you have seen the files on the screen and did some prints.

I always read, how everybody loves this lens and found it's rendering in images always beautiful, but that this lens is SO special, I couldn't dream of.

Of course, I am a very fresh owner and enthusiastic, but I would judge, this lens is for me as significant in it's specie character than a Leica 50/1 or a Noct-Nikkor - very, special character and surprisingly very high resolution.

not to mention, how very tiny it is.
Dirk,

In the 50's resolution was the primary design criterion. I say the 35/1.8 is right up there with a modern ASPH lens, but what I think makes this lens so remarkable is the detailed contrast in B&W. It has that richness of a larger format in both contrast and detail.

I'm thinking that on my MM it will be a match made in heaven. Only around 1.5K were made in LTM. I would agree that there is something magic about the 35/1.8.

Cal

Old 12-17-2012   #59
ferider

LTM version yesterday, TriX, Rodinal 1:100:

Old 12-18-2012   #60
menos

Richard - great stuff! Keep the night shots coming - I absolutely love that look!
I loved that look already with the pre ASPH Summilux, but the W-Nikkor is a lot more delicate and precise, drawing the night!
I repeat myself here: "If I only had known earlier about this lens …!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Dirk,

In the 50's resolution was the primary design criterion. I say the 35/1.8 is right up there with a modern ASPH lens, but what I think makes this lens so remarkable is the detailed contrast in B&W. It has that richness of a larger format in both contrast and detail.

I'm thinking that on my MM it will be a match made in heaven. Only around 1.5K were made in LTM. I would agree that there is something magic about the 35/1.8.

Cal
Cal, this is so true! I went just through my first batch of shots from the W-Nikkor - those mid tones are M A S S I V E !
I have not a good hand yet on developing my B&W shots from the Monochrome - I might revert with the Nikkor for a while and shoot with the M8 and M9, which are a lot easier cameras in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
LTM version yesterday, TriX, Rodinal 1:100:

http://ferider.smugmug.com/Picture-a...21217-0008.jpg
Roland, I wish, I could take a train to work! So much stuff can happen on the way - pictures everywhere!

Here is a few picks from the W-Nikkor:

look at me man by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

birdie by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

breathing Firebird by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Old 12-18-2012   #61
semrich

Here's a shot with it on the M8 processed with Silver Efex Pro

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

Old 12-18-2012   #62
helenhill
A Click in Time...

Damn You ALL in this Thread ...
This is probably one of the Most Superb 35's one could have

Want....Want...Want !!!

QUESTION:Is this Ltm version with an amadeo adapter for an M Body ?????
or should I splurge and Get an S2 ......

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 12-18-2012   #63
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post

There are two versions of the lens, ltm and Nikon bayonet. You can use the ltm-version plus a normal adapter on your M. The ltm-version is however rare.
I guess you can use the Nikon bayonet-version via an Amadeo-adapter on your M.

Erik.

Old 12-18-2012   #64
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Damn You ALL in this Thread ...
This is probably one of the Most Superb 35's one could have

Want....Want...Want !!!

or should I splurge and Get an S2 ......
Helen,

I own one of the LTM versions, and I use it with a version 1 CV LTM to M-mount adapter. I believe these adapters from CV that are specially made for use with LTM lenses with infinity locks are no longer available, but I had the wisdom to buy a spare. I literally bought the last two at Photo Village when they were still available. If you need an adapter I have one for you.

Realize that only about 1,500 35/1.8's were ever made in LTM and that they are rare. I paid $1.7K for mine, but this is cheap compared to a 35 Cron V1. The 35 Cron close focuses closer, but the Nikkor is faster at 1.8.

BTW wide open the Nikkor can display this wonderful glow of veiling flare that is absolutely dreamy and wonderful under bright-bright conditions, but on wet rainy overcast days the contrast and midrange detail looks like a larger format in the form of mucho shades of grey.

For the upcoming beauty contest that will be part of the NYC Meet-UP I will be entering a black paint Leica II (Model D) that features chrome knobs and no strap lugs. I will mount the 35/1.8 Nikkor, an extra TA Rapidgrip (LOL), and a Zeiss 25/28 VF'er. Surprisingly the LTM 35/1.8 is rather small and this rig remains small even though I added a huge Rapidgrip. Surprisingly the Rapidgrip looks like it was engineered for the tiny screw mount. Also the framing is easy to image with the 25 and 28 frames present. I know you have a weakness for LTM's. LOL.

BTW John C. has a black paint 2005 SP with the 35/1.8. What a beauty. This camera won last year's top prize in our beauty contest.

Cal

Old 12-18-2012   #65
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I guess you can use the Nikon bayonet-version via an Amadeo-adapter on your M.

Erik.
If I remember right, the rear element of the S mount version doesn't fit the Amadeo adapter, Erik. There are a couple of custom M modified, Millenium 35/1.8 copies around though.

Cal, for the 35/1.8 a regular LTM adapter will work fine. For the 35/2.5 LTM you need a type I adapter.

Also would like to mention that the 35/2 UC Hexanon is a modern coated copy of the 35/1.8.

Roland.

Old 12-18-2012   #66
ferider

The CV hood vignettes, Cal. This is a slightly wider Heavystar hood that works ok with filters.

Old 12-18-2012   #67
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
The CV hood vignettes, Cal. This is a slightly wider Heavystar hood that works ok with filters.
Thanks. Also BTW nice rig.

Cal

Old 12-18-2012   #68
helenhill
A Click in Time...

Thanks Roland for the heads up....

Not sure about moula at the moment
Having repaired 2 M bodies and Xmas here
Ahhh Decisions

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 12-18-2012   #69
helenhill
A Click in Time...

Another Question:
Are the optics the same in the ltm version
And the Nikkor 35 1.8 for Nikon Rf ???

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 12-18-2012   #70
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:

Cal, for the 35/1.8 a regular LTM adapter will work fine. For the 35/2.5 LTM you need a type I adapter.

Also would like to mention that the 35/2 UC Hexanon is a modern coated copy of the 35/1.8.

Roland.
Roland,

Thanks again.

Cal

Old 12-18-2012   #71
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Helen,
I'm coming back to the area in the next few months (maybe sooner) and you're more than welcome to try out my Nikon RF mount 35mm f/1.8. It WON'T work on a Leica using the Amedeo adapter because of the very large rear element striking the focusing cam follower in the Leica body which gives a false focus. If you're comfortable with scale focusing, it works fine but then that precludes using the lens at its magical f/1.8 aperture.
Cheapest solution would be to find an S2 and a Nikon RF mount lens. A superb combo but the S2 only has the frameline for 50mm. Doesn't work without an accessory finder for me because I wear glasses but I can also fudge the composition and shoot loose with the 35 on the S2 and get fine results.
One thing is that the controls are backwards from Leica so it takes a bit to get used to with regard to focusing. I'm sure the lens and you will make a fantastic pair.

Phil Forrest

Old 12-18-2012   #72
Bar8barian
Classic 1950's Glass

Due to the interest in this lens I thought that you might all be interested in the history of the 3.5cm f1.8 Nikkor.

Please see:-
http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/3/index.htm

Canon P
Nex 7
Agfa Record III with 105mm f4.5 Solinar / Synchro-Compur.

Old 12-18-2012   #73
semrich

Ok, last one with the M8. That one at KEH in Ex condition looks pretty good

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

Old 12-18-2012   #74
menos

Erik, through my several years of suffering, looking for this beauty, I learned , that the W-Nikkor 35/1.8 in Nikon S mount doesn't fit on a Amedeo adapter to Leica M due to it's large rear element (but never fondled it, so this info is not confirmed by myself).

Now, that I hold the LTM lens in my hands, I can certainly understand this, as the rear element indeed is … L A R G E ;-)

Helen, you really don't need to splurge for a Nikon S, but in my opinion, it doesn't hurt, to get a nice Nikon S body of any taste + W-Nikkor to hold you over until you find a LTM sample or just fall in love with the S.

Several times over the last years I was so close >< to doing just that.

I am the happiest kid now, that the search and suffering is over …

The W-Nikkor is the bomb - the cluster bomb that is:

portrait - cluster bomb by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

promotion tour by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Old 12-18-2012   #75
menos

… I was late with my post I guess ;-)

Helen, if it helps, to spend more of your money:

When I just couldn't wait it out anymore, my W-Nikkor search brought me through the same comments, mentioned above about the Konica UC-Hexanon.

When I found a nice UC-Hex copy, it immediately became my favourite 35mm lens, and I have used a few - I still love the UC-Hex much, much more over pre ASPH Leica Summilux, Summicron and also the ASPH.

The UC-Hex is all around the nicest 35mm lens for Leica M (it also is a LTM lens, so a wonderful fit on a LTM body as well) +++ it is the nicest black paint finished lens, I have ever used.

Old 12-18-2012   #76
f16sunshine

Dirk that lens turns to gold in your hands Nice images.

Old 12-18-2012   #77
Erik van Straten

Very nice pictures, Dirk! I have to put my W-Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 at work again.

Erik.

Old 12-18-2012   #78
menos

Thanks Andy and Erik - too kind ;-)
Take that W-Nikkor out Erik!

I am now hoping, the Walz filters, I ordered find their way to me still this year (US Postal has some serious issues due to Christmas shippings in continental US it seems).
I am also looking for a hood alternative to the beautiful Yama hood, Andy kindly supplied with the lens.
My big sausage fingers seem to always end up shifting the aperture with the little space between lens hood and body (that W-Nikkor is TINY!)

Does anybody know, if Nikon sold a specific lens hood just for the LTM version of this lens (fitting for the 43mm filter thread)?

I suppose, if such a hood really exist, it might be as costly, as the lens itself :~|

Ken Rockwell advises, to get one of the Nikkor 50/1.4 43mm hoods and just use that - any vignetting ?

Old 12-18-2012   #79
f16sunshine

I used it with a B+W MRC filter and then the hood. The filter seemed to help give a bit more space for fingers. You are right though, it is very tight to adjust aperture with a hood on. It's too bad... The Hama shade looks so nice on this lens

Old 12-18-2012   #80
menos

Ahh - that makes sense Andy!
Can you specify more on the B+W filter?
I found, that the currently available B+W 43mm filters don't fit the thread pitch of the Nikkor 43 and Leica 43 filter threads (Summilux v2).

I use a B+W E43 MRC filter of the latest built on my UC-Hex, which would not fully screw onto the 5cm and 3.5cm Nikkor lenses.

The vintage Walz filters, I ordered do have a different 43mm thread, specifically matching the Nikkor lenses.