Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

Old 03-10-2017   #41
dwojr

I would love to test it, whatever it is.

Old 03-10-2017   #42
VTHokiEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Who is excited about what Lomography product and would like to test it?

Make a convincing case for yourself, and you just might ...
I'd love to test a new Lomography product. Not certain I have a great case other than being a hobbyist photographer who probably represents a pretty decent chunk of the lomo market (basically my work is mediocre, but so is the work of a lot of people who buy these things so it'd be interesting to get an every day joe type review of the product).

Old 03-10-2017   #43
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I'd like to test it, however I'm in Europe, hope it is not a problem for logistics.

I like shooting wrecked/abandoned things. I usually don't post-process my photos, but when I do, I make it more LOMO than LOMO.

Taken with Yashica Electro 35GX + Fujicolor film. developed in Tetenal C41.
Thanks all!

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 03-10-2017   #44
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiEE View Post
I'd love to test a new Lomography product. Not certain I have a great case other than being a hobbyist photographer who probably represents a pretty decent chunk of the lomo market (basically my work is mediocre, but so is the work of a lot of people who buy these things so it'd be interesting to get an every day joe type review of the product).

I dont think thats a nice thing to say

Old 03-10-2017   #45
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4pE-pdhnJw

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 03-10-2017   #46
VTHokiEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
You're right I apologize (hmmm now how to say that in a more tactful way...)

Old 03-10-2017   #47
mich rassena

Since we're all speculating on what KMZ is doing, my guess is an M mount 35mm camera.

But as far as suitability for a review is concerned, I've long been a fan of LOMO for what they've done to promote the use of film. They've come out with a small number of products which are unique if not innovative. The Petzval lens for modern cameras is a great example of something that enthusiasts would love. The Belair, though poor in execution from what I've heard is another.

However, I'm generally critical of LOMO. Almost everything they do is overpriced for what it is, which is often mostly plastic. While not plastic, their new M-mount Minitar is a good example. Sure it's great if it fits your Leica, but at $350 + a Leica, if it's the look you want I suggest a micro 4/3 and Olympus body cap at less than 1/10th the price. I've never bought any LOMO products because the value on used gear is too good to ignore, and LOMO products do not compare well.

So, I'm not a huge fan of LOMO either. Maybe I'd give a balanced review.

I don't photograph smiling young people having fun then cross-process the film. If they're trying to branch out, I'd use it with some less forgiving subject matter.

But I'm not interested in giving a review without getting to keep the product, so that probably puts me out of the running.

Old 03-10-2017   #48
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
I was checking on a lot of sample images from the J3+ when it was then newly out but I didn't see a BIG improvement (optically) over the old J3. There were also reports about miss-focusing from members on this forum if I remember correctly. Despite price difference, the obvious advantage of J3+ over old J3 is that it is a newly issued lens so it is less likely to be abused by many owners before the lens get passed on to you.

Lomography/KMZ also made the NEW Jupiter-9 back in 2013 but for some reasons they haven't brought it out yet. Maybe it is just a small amount of lens but I saw pictures of the lens on exhibition on some Russian forum, as well as a short description on KMZ's Jupiter-9 page.
I didn't know there were focusing issues. I remember reading about user experiences here (RFF) and over at another Leica forum. Folks seemed genuinely happy with the performance. It still is a sonnar, so the focus shift didn't surprise anyone. I hear its really well built with better materials and precision than the original. Also better optical performance, mostly due to modern coatings and maybe better manufacturing tolerances. I seem to remember it has a click stop aperture ring (could be wrong about that) and (very important) it was built to the Leica focusing standard (and not the Zeiss standard as with the original). That seemed to be a big deal.

I seriously considered one, but eventually decided not to because I already have a nice original J-3 (1954) and an over-abundance of 50s. Right now, if I'd consider any 50 it would be an e46 summilux.

I also remember reading about a new Jupiter-9. Never heard anything more. I think that one would have to be built to the Leica focusing standard to be of much attraction these days. Very few people seem to be successful re-shimming the J-9 for Leica type bodies. And even then, it is still a compromise solution.

Old 03-10-2017   #49
Prest_400
Multiformat

There used to be a Lomo B&W which was Shanghai GP3. A few years ago that film was discontinued due to factory upgrades.
Did a google and the 4x5 and 8x10 is available. The most interesting to me was that aside of reintroducing 120, they may do 220 film!
Kind of funny that a Chinese Supplier would do 220.
Lomo may partner with them and make a lomo branded Shanghai.

220 and Fuji 6x9 agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-10-2017   #50
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
I'd like to test it, however I'm in Europe, hope it is not a problem for logistics.

I like shooting wrecked/abandoned things. I usually don't post-process my photos, but when I do, I make it more LOMO than LOMO.

Thanks all!
Very nice, the wabi sabi aesthetic!

Old 03-10-2017   #51
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
However, I'm generally critical of LOMO. Almost everything they do is overpriced for what it is, which is often mostly plastic. While not plastic, their new M-mount Minitar is a good example. Sure it's great if it fits your Leica, but at $350 + a Leica, if it's the look you want I suggest a micro 4/3 and Olympus body cap at less than 1/10th the price.
The Minitar is a brand new, glass and brass rf coupled lens with adjustable apertures, that is over $60 cheaper than the next cheapest new M mount lens available. A fixed aperture body cap lens will not give the same look as there is a huge difference between a shot taken at f2.8 and one at f8.
Let alone f4, f5.6 etc
Nothing else in the RF world at anything near its price point has the same footprint. For that pocketable size you are looking at MS Optical at $1000+, then the Leica 28mm f5.6 at $2000+. The Minitar is a screaming deal in comparison.

You also do not need a Leica, with adapters it will fit on any mirrorless camera, including your micro 4/3, but you will lose the native field of view.

Old 03-10-2017   #52
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

So the 'rumour' about Lomo buying the patents and rights to the new Konost full frame RF may be more than that!

Old 03-10-2017   #53
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So the 'rumour' about Lomo buying the patents and rights to the new Konost full frame RF may be more than that!
Wait whuuuuuut?

Old 03-10-2017   #54
VTHokiEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Hold on, where was this rumor started?

Old 03-11-2017   #55
Alberti

I have good experience with the newer KMZ Jupiter-8, 50mm. But I had some backfocus issues so sold it. The lens was very sharp stopped down to F4 or F5.6 up to par of German lenses; infinity a bit off-track, vague at least. At F 5.6-8 the focus was almost right. Didn't want to spend money on having it aligned. Loved the output, size & weight. Looked good on my black M-body too. & further brand praise. My J3 is also KMZ.
So.
Will buy again if there is a native M-mount and it sports properly advertised M-rangefinder interworking.
For the head bartender : yes, I will review this new product for you if that is the announcement.
As regards a FF digital: there are nice FF CCD sensors coming from On-Semi it appears , - some M-users favouring such technology for life. But the rangefinder drama of the Leica CL tells us that sloppy focussing is not accepted.
[Solve the puzzle.]

Old 03-11-2017   #56
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

FYI. Lomography J3 and Minitar lenses are made for M-mount for sure. And coupled with RF. Buy it from normal seller who accept returns, in case if some quality issues.

Back focus on old FSU RF lenses is correctable and J8 newer version is one of the easiest to correct by DIY. It is like five minutes easy to get it sharp at f2 and smaller.

BTW, personally, I prefer reviews from people who knows about the gear...

Lomography News
Old 03-11-2017   #57
TridentKiwi

Lomography News

Spotted an ad on Etsy today fora Lomography wide angle lens for $700. Could that be the news ? Seems pricey to me.

Old 03-12-2017   #58
Daryl J.

Making a case for myself:

I can write.
My compositions generally work.
My exposures are rarely off and are metered by my eyes.
Blue Moon Camera is nearby and is enthusiastic.
Portland, OR offers interesting subject matter when including Mt Hood to the Coast.
I have M-mount, LTM, and F mount available in 35mm
My favorite image was made with a glass lensed Holga.
My next favorite image was made with a Kodak Brownie No.2 F box camera.
I photograph objects more than people.
My favorite camera is whatever is in my hand. It's about artistically making an image with a set of tools, the specialness of which has to come from the heart.
Drama lenses such as the 1.5/50 Zeiss C Sonnar, the 3.4/21mm Super Angulon, the 1.4/58mm Rokkor PF are favorites of mine.
I give my Instax pix away to the subject to promote film as a genre.

Disadvantages: I'm a professional, my volume is not high. I expose anywhere from 30-60 rolls/year in 35mm and 120. I prefer b&w film. I don't do digital.

I'd love to test whatever it is.

Old 03-12-2017   #59
sara

I "started" discovering film photography via Lomography.
I have gone through most Lomo cameras, and have only kept the LCA and Holga (but not use it). If it's something in the lines of an LCA, I am ok but anything other than that, not really.

Old 03-13-2017   #60
zuiko85

I hate a pre-announcment on equipment that isn't available. Effectively Just so much BS. I'll believe it when I hold it in my hands, otherwise lots of vapor, smoke and mirrors. And a big build up to a almost certain let down. (especially for us that would actually like to see full manual control cameras and not this auto everything crap.)

Old 03-17-2017   #61
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Could it be the glass lensed Lomo Instant? https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomo-...ss-black-combo

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 03-17-2017   #62
vbsoto

Hi Stephen,

I'd like to test whatever it is, but I'm not sure what it is your looking for when you say to make a convincing case. If it's 35 mm it would be an easier test than say 120 as I do not have convenient access to 120 processing. I was surprised however to find out that the Costco near me is the only one to still have a 35mm processing line and they intend to keep it. Fill use rebounded enough before they executed the planned retirement of the unit.

Old 03-17-2017   #63
Roger Hicks

All right. What IS this news?

Frances and I used to do this sort of stuff for a living. But until we know what it is, it's vapourware.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-17-2017   #64
lynnb

OK, I'll volunteer to test whatever it is, I like anything as long as it takes pictures, and I have cats. No gear or film test is complete without a cat photo. Lens resolution can be accurately measured in cat hairs per mm at a distance of 1m from a sleeping cat. My cats sleep all the time, except when they're eating.

You can forward whatever it is to the Australian Voigtlander distributor, Mainline in Sydney, and I can collect it from there. Mainline is a magnet for RFF members here so other members could have a play with it too. That way you get multiple viewpoints. Not sure if all of them have cats, though. Otherwise you can send it to me direct.

These are my testing cats. They come in a variety of hair micron sizes to evaluate different types of lens designs:

The one on the top level has fur about 2 microns, about the same as superfine merino wool. A natural fit for testing Zeiss lenses. The one at the bottom has coarser fur for testing plastic lenses. The one in the middle does everything else.

This is a dog pretending to be a testing cat, but I wasn't fooled:

Looking forward to testing Product X!

PS My favourite LOMO product? I haven't tried any, so film would be good...
PPS and Stephen, feel free to delete this post if my sense of humour and yours are not on the same wavelength!

Last edited by lynnb : 03-17-2017 at 07:05. Reason: added fave product

Old 03-17-2017   #65
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
OK, I'll volunteer to test whatever it is, I like anything as long as it takes pictures, and I have cats. No gear or film test is complete without a cat photo. Lens resolution can be accurately measured in cat hairs per mm at a distance of 1m from a sleeping cat. My cats sleep all the time, except when they're eating.

You can forward whatever it is to the Australian Voigtlander distributor, Mainline in Sydney, and I can collect it from there. Mainline is a magnet for RFF members here so other members could have a play with it too. That way you get multiple viewpoints. Not sure if all of them have cats, though. Otherwise you can send it to me direct.

These are my testing cats. They come in a variety of hair micron sizes to evaluate different types of lens designs:

The one on the top level has fur about 2 microns, about the same as superfine merino wool. A natural fit for testing Zeiss lenses. The one at the bottom has coarser fur for testing plastic lenses. The one in the middle does everything else.

PPS and Stephen, feel free to delete this post if my sense of humour and yours are not on the same wavelength!
Best cat pic I've seen in a long time!

Old 03-17-2017   #66
Huss

Zone focus and "this sleek little camera has a maximum aperture of f/4.5, which is the largest aperture of any instant camera on the market"
This is actually a big deal. The price is good too - cheaper than my Fuji Instax 90.
Same film.

Old 03-17-2017   #67
lynnb

I hope they make a glass lens model with 50mm (equivalent) for portraits.

Old 03-17-2017   #68
jkjod

Wasn't there a rumor about a Jupiter-9+ being introduced? I'd love a Classic 85 sonnar lens that focuses under 1m (even .8 would be fantastic). I'd be 100% game for testing that out!

Old 03-17-2017   #69
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
Could it be the glass lensed Lomo Instant? https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomo-...ss-black-combo

That does look good, but I imagine they have already done the testing for that one (I hope...)

Something new this way comes; hopefully with the Instax wide film, if instant!

Old 03-17-2017   #70
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post

Perfect! Or possibly purrfect! (And I've only ever met half a dozen cats I actually liked, especially Spiny Norman).

Like the dog pic; love the cat pic.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-17-2017   #71
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
Wow that camera looks nice. I may have to get one.

Old 03-17-2017   #72
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Chats incroyables! Indeed .

It just came to my mind after reading about aged lomography film. I think, the absence of news we are waiting here is symbolic. The news is - lomography as it was is over.
I watched earlier this week BBC documentary about original lomography. Originally it was photographers defining what to sell. And it was unique, user and time demanded. USSR became open, it was interesting and they have cheap, yet funky copies of camera which originally was made technically better, but not so funky.
Konost fails into this business model. As soon as USSR novelty was diminished the CL-A was not the prime model anymore. Why Leica is still staying popular? Because Germany has offered something else instead of novelty.Why R-D1 is still popular? Because here is only Leica like this. So, in USSR we used to say - if here is two, it will be third one.

Old 03-18-2017   #73
willie_901

Maybe it's just a camera that works with FUJIFILM's new square-format Instax film?

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #74
Huss

Nothing? No news? Hmm.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #75
dwojr

The only new thing I see is the glass lens Instax camera. Not sure what else it could be. Looks interesting. Would be nice to have a decent quality new instant camera. The Fuji ones are fun but not super sharp.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #76
Daryl J.

Continuing the case for myself:

The Sprocket Rocket is a favorite camera of mine. The unique image coupled with the Pacific Northwest's plethora of photogenic offerings makes for interesting, unique final product. Lenses such as the 3.4/21mm Super Angulon, 1.5/50 Summarit, 1.5/50mm C Sonnar, 1.4/35mm Nokton Classic SC all have an inviting drama quotient to their renderings. And the Sprocket Rocket fits right in. That a so-called toy camera slots right in emotionally with vaunted M-mount gear is very, very cool.