Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 02-25-2017   #41
Spanik

The only thing this says is that your copy of one lens on one body is sharper with those photo's you took than one copy of another lens on another body. I'm far from convinced that this points out to some universal law.

Old 02-25-2017   #42
Scrambler

1) Lynn is a professional photographer with an interest in using older cameras - I would listen to his thoughts (and I know you have).
2) There are a variety of possible explanations, but essentially since what you wanted to know was "will setup A that I have work better or worse than setup B", you have answered your key question. WHY would require a whole lot more work, and may be issues with a range of elements in each camera, each lens and each combination.

And since no-one seems prepared to say it, many thanks for posting this interesting, if as yet unexplained, result.

Old 02-25-2017   #43
goamules

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi(c)al_cam View Post
Yawwwwn, you're beating a dead horse.

See my post @15:10 CET:

The approach that would help is: «The Pros And Cons Of Retro-Focus Construction»

Let me suggest: Read e.g. some of Roger Hicks's books, and you'll find answers.
I hope you're not talking to me yawny boy. I'll wake you up with a little knowledge if you're feeling sleepy.

Where is that ignore button, I'm thinking I don't want to hear any more of this guy's tripe.

My Flickr Photos

Old 02-25-2017   #44
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi(c)al_cam View Post
Garrett, old chap: Why are you in front of a computer screen? Shouldn't you swing your gun and Make America Great AGAIN?

How about you just stop being an asshole to people? It's not cute.

Old 02-27-2017   #45
goamules

Thanks Tunalegs. All I see for radi(c)'s insightful posts now is:

"This message is hidden because radi(c)al_cam is on your ignore list."

I recommend EVERYONE that is tired of his tirades set him to ignore. If he can't be civil, he can be invisible.

My Flickr Photos

Old 02-27-2017   #46
Steve M.

RF lenses are closer to the film plane, which often contributes to their sharpness, but of course it is not that simple and just depends. Not all lenses are created equal, and some excel at close up while others are better at mid range and infinity.

Unless you shot your test on a tripod and w/ the mirror locked up on your SLR you do not have any idea of how sharp the lens actually is.

Old 02-27-2017   #47
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Unless you shot your test on a tripod and w/ the mirror locked up on your SLR you do not have any idea of how sharp the lens actually is.
Steve, while I agree with you in principle, remember, this was a "real world test" and one of the things I wanted to take into account is that maybe the mirror slap on the SLR would cause a slight blurring of the image. On the project I was testing for, I won't be able to use a tripod. Everything will be hand held. If the SLR is sharper when used on a tripod with the mirror locked up (which I would guess it might be), that's not going to help me in the field where mirror lock up and a tripod won't be available. I wanted to see which would be sharper, wide open, hand held, the way I will be using them on this project.

Make sense?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-06-2017   #48
one90guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Hey Roger,

Being a photographer, not a research scientist, I've got a project coming up, and I have the equipment I have on hand. It's gonna be a low light situation, I want to shoot it on film, I want to shoot it with a 35mm, and I have a Nikon F with a 35mm and a Nikon S2 with a 35mm. So I took them out to compare how they would do on the wide open end. And was surprised that the rangefinder lens did better than the newer SLR lens. Now would another sample of the 35mm SLR lens beat another sample of the 35mm rangefinder lens, who knows. But I don't own those other samples, and have no access to those other samples, so I "shot with what I got".

And I posted here, (as I was surprised by the results) to ask if anyone had a theory of why these results might be as they are.

Not trying to make a "Rangefinders are always better than SLRs" thread. Just asking, "Why do you think this came out this way?"
Hmm also not a scientist or a really good photographer I understand where you are coming from. Your testing seemed logical to me, you have 2 cameras and need the best of the 2 to use.

David