Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Old 12-20-2016   #41
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillauser View Post
Hi, I have a 23 and a Universal. Using the 23 because the Universal has a little problem with the frame lines not moving as I focus. I have the 50mm, 65mm, 100mm f3.5 collapsable, 150mm silver, and a 250 f5 black. I use the S backs, 6x9 for B&W and 6x7 for color. I've not used it much since my darkroom has been in boxes for at least 10 years. With luck I can get it set up this winter. The last lab I used did not scan 120 negatives and their proof prints were very disappointing. So I have nothing to show at the moment. Glad I found this site though. Will keep in touch
Welcome to RFF from Northern Virginia. Look forward to your future input, especially on the Super Press 23. I don't get to use my cameras much anymore due to work and life. I keep hoping to get out the 23 again as I always enjoyed using it. I got some really great photos with that in the past.

Old 12-20-2016   #42
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Hi, I have a 23 and a Universal. Using the 23 because the Universal has a little problem with the frame lines not moving as I focus. I have the 50mm, 65mm, 100mm f3.5 collapsable, 150mm silver, and a 250 f5 black. I use the S backs, 6x9 for B&W and 6x7 for color. I've not used it much since my darkroom has been in boxes for at least 10 years. With luck I can get it set up this winter. The last lab I used did not scan 120 negatives and their proof prints were very disappointing. So I have nothing to show at the moment. Glad I found this site though. Will keep in touch

That's a great setup. I've got many of those lenses. Never used the 65mm but I'd like to. One problem with the 250 F5 is focusing it at close distance. It's a lovey lens but I can never nail the focus using the rangefinder. The ground glass back is a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2016   #43
rybolt

I got my first Universal in 1968, and I haven't been without one since that time. I've owned all of the lenses at one time or another. I've primarily used it as a mini-view camera with the ground glass back and the 6X9 roll holder. I use the rear bellows as an extension tube for closer focus. The 50mm lens is superb.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 12-20-2016   #44
ColSebastianMoran

Have this system, Universal and several lenses.

I don't use it: New gear is small, light, and at 24MPx, excellent image quality.

I do miss it.

In Classifieds Now: Olympus PEN EE with original leather case
More photos, descriptions of for sale items on this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 12-20-2016   #45
mich rassena

I'm really surprised the Mamiya press isn't a more popular camera. It has a rangefinder and a ground glass option, rear movements, takes a variety of film backs, is relatively compact (i.e. no front bellows to unfold) and quite robust. I think I prefer it to the Graflex XL, which always feels a bit fragile, especially the focus ring.

I've used it some with the 65mm lens using the rangefinder to focus. It's a good walking around camera. Probably a bit on the heavy side, but I use an accessory handle which makes it manageable.

Old 12-20-2016   #46
charjohncarter

I like mine but it isn't a casual use camera. I have the 105mm and the 65mm, surprisingly easy to steadily handhold:

Arista EDU ultra 100 at 50-HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 12-20-2016   #47
besk

In my opinion, if camera had been made lighter it would have been far more popular. Has a lot going for it. I have several including a "flat-top."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
I'm really surprised the Mamiya press isn't a more popular camera. It has a rangefinder and a ground glass option, rear movements, takes a variety of film backs, is relatively compact (i.e. no front bellows to unfold) and quite robust. I think I prefer it to the Graflex XL, which always feels a bit fragile, especially the focus ring.

I've used it some with the 65mm lens using the rangefinder to focus. It's a good walking around camera. Probably a bit on the heavy side, but I use an accessory handle which makes it manageable.

Old 12-20-2016   #48
Spanik

Sort of user. I have a Standard 23 that I bought as a set with a lot of parts that never were taken out of the box since bought in 1969. But it has a light leak I cannot find. Then there is a Super 23 that I should try one day and anotherone I want to use as a pinhole.

Nice cameras but heavy.

Old 12-28-2016   #49
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
Sort of user. I have a Standard 23 that I bought as a set with a lot of parts that never were taken out of the box since bought in 1969. But it has a light leak I cannot find. Then there is a Super 23 that I should try one day and anotherone I want to use as a pinhole.

Nice cameras but heavy.
They are heavy. I got mine when I was in my early 30s. It really didn't seem heavy then, and I loved those 6x7 negatives. Now with occasional back problems I think otherwise. And despite my best efforts, I cannot convince my wife who hates cameras, that it would be a kind gesture to carry my Super Press kit for me.

Old 01-03-2017   #50
kriskirk

picked up a mamiya universal with the 127mm and 100mm with a 6x9 and just got a 6x7 back today. its really fun to use. makes you stop and think about your shot. the image quality is fantastic.

Old 01-03-2017   #51
zillauser

Good to see some activity on this particular thread. Still meaning to get my negs scanned so I can post some images. One of my New Years resolutions is to unpack my darkroom that has been in boxes for twenty years.

Old 01-19-2017   #52
Baipin

I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm glad I did. It's nice to see a few other members can appreciate this relatively obscure and underrated camera... And we can do it in our own little corner of the internet.

I've since added an Arca-type L-plate and leather hand grip. It's my go to setup and works very well for backpacking, shooting handheld, and on a tripod.

Virtually all my serious work has been shot with a Mamiya Super 23, with a custom Graflok back, a 100mm f/2.8, or 65mm f6.3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 01-19-2017   #53
ColSebastianMoran

@Baipin, nice setup. 100 f/2.8 is great. The little Voigtlander meter. Good stuff.

In Classifieds Now: Olympus PEN EE with original leather case
More photos, descriptions of for sale items on this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-19-2017   #54
zillauser

Nice setup Baipin, I looked at your gallery, liked that stuff too. Keep shooting and posting.

Any Mamiya Press users here?
Old 01-24-2017   #55
JChrome
Street Worker

Any Mamiya Press users here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baipin View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm glad I did. It's nice to see a few other members can appreciate this relatively obscure and underrated camera... And we can do it in our own little corner of the internet.

I've since added an Arca-type L-plate and leather hand grip. It's my go to setup and works very well for backpacking, shooting handheld, and on a tripod.

Virtually all my serious work has been shot with a Mamiya Super 23, with a custom Graflok back, a 100mm f/2.8, or 65mm f6.3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/
I also don't use the handle. It's really ergonomic but the weight of the system stops me from using it.

Could you let me know more about the custom back? What is custom about it and how did you make it?

Old 01-24-2017   #56
besk

The G back is used for my Universal. That back is a Graflok back. That back has been modified to take Horseman holders.

Also, don't use the handle. Instead attached a wooden handle to the side and use it to grip the camera. It is light and fits close to the side of the camera. Will try to get a photo posted in a week or so.

Old 01-24-2017   #57
zillauser

I think the standard graflok back will take mamiya RB 67 backs.

Old 01-24-2017   #58
zillauser

JChrome, how are you holding the camera if you are not using a handle? I'd like to see a picture of that.

Old 01-25-2017   #59
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
JChrome, how are you holding the camera if you are not using a handle? I'd like to see a picture of that.

I just hold the box. It's not ergonomic at all but it works.

Old 03-04-2017   #60
Baipin

Hopefully this will give you some insight into what I do:

Please excuse the crappy cellphone pictures! ;-) Here's one of the setup in practice, with the 65mm f/6.3:

...Taken just as I was shooting this:

Enjoy!

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 03-04-2017   #61
zillauser

I certainly looks like a good setup with the leather strap. Less clunky than the standard handgrip on the left side. What is that skeletal bracket that you have on the left side? Looks like it prevents you from using the tilt back. Also I see you are using a Super 23 with the graflok back. ( I don't even know the designation for that model. ( I happened to get one recently by accident. My Universal and Super 23 that I use take the S shaped backs.

Old 03-04-2017   #62
Baipin

Quote:
I certainly looks like a good setup with the leather strap. Less clunky than the standard handgrip on the left side. What is that skeletal bracket that you have on the left side? Looks like it prevents you from using the tilt back. Also I see you are using a Super 23 with the graflok back. ( I don't even know the designation for that model. ( I happened to get one recently by accident. My Universal and Super 23 that I use take the S shaped backs.
Thank you! The leather strap allows me to hold the camera very well. The bracket on the side wraps underneath as well; it's an Arca-type tripod plate which I made myself from a Sunwayfoto bracket. I can use the tilt back just fine as the knobs only need to tilt a few degrees to loosen. Just press it down/clockwise with your thumb to loosen, counterclockwise to tighten. The interaction between that knob and the bracket comes down to some very tight tolerances, but I was able to do it with a mere hacksaw and a file; anything is possible!

I know there was a Press G model, but I know of no official Super 23/Universal type body that used a Graflok back. I took mine off of a Press G since the struts are of the same dimensions and the Press/Super 23 have the same flange focal distance. All this involves is some alcohol (to unglue the bellows, or drink if you punch a hole through them) a screwdriver, and some glue.

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 04-14-2017   #63
Baipin

Pardon me if this isn't appropriate to post here, but if anyone is interested in buying the Mamiya Press G I've mentioned before, you can buy it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162474839386...84.m1555.l2649

At the very least, some of you might be interested in seeing one of these lovely cameras in some better images I had taken recently:

Bought another Unicolor C-41 kit recently... so excited to develop another batch of negatives shot with this thing!

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 04-14-2017   #64
charjohncarter

I read the Ebay ad, it looks good. I didn't see but it might have been there is it possible to mount the 6x9 back on this camera? To me that is the real reason to have the Mamiya Super 23.

Old 04-14-2017   #65
besk

Yes, you can mount a 6X9 back. The Graphic backs work as is. Horseman backs won't fit unless you reduce the thickness of the light baffle on the left side of the camera and also make notches in the slide locks.

Old 04-14-2017   #66
Baipin

Thanks for the comments, you two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I read the Ebay ad, it looks good. I didn't see but it might have been there is it possible to mount the 6x9 back on this camera? To me that is the real reason to have the Mamiya Super 23.
Yup! Besk is right; this can mount all Graflok backs, the Horseman ones will necessitate a bit of modification, but nothing too outrageous. If I recall correctly, that left-side light baffle is screwed on, so you can just remove it completely or shave it down if required. As it stands the 6x8 back has the same image area as Graflex's "6x9" back, which is to say, 4:3 ratio. A 6x9 back can of course be mounted. You could even do 4x5 with this by adding Horseman's 2x3 to 4x5 expander!

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 04-18-2017   #67
kriskirk

Love this thing! been shooting a lot with it recently. The lenses are incredible for the price point in my opinion. Recent image from a roll.

Old 04-18-2017   #68
charjohncarter

Yes, a nice image, and with a flash too. Which is easy with the Super 23.

Old 04-19-2017   #69
Baipin

Nice image kriskrk! Flash is a lot of fun indeed:

Analogue for a City Mascot by D. B., on Flickr

I don't believe I've run a single roll of B/W film through this camera. I feel kinda' funny about that... :-P

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 05-07-2017   #70
ruilourosa

I would love to buy one of those mamiya universal back G!!! it really compact things up.

But great camera and great lenses!!!! the 50, 75 and 100 2.8 are really good!!!! rollei, hasselblad good, not lubitel good!!

cheers