Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

heavy man...
Old 02-11-2017   #1
back alley
IMAGES

heavy man...

gonna travel home this coming summer for a few weeks and for some reason feel the need to plan a bit more than i ever have planned before...probably part of my regular neurosis...

been checking out those handled pieces of luggage that will fit in the overhead compartment...swore i'd never buy one of them but hey, a guy can change his mind.
i packed my tenba cooper slim bag...thought that 2 bodies and 3 lenses would be good, threw in my iPad mini and hoisted that sucker over my shoulder...and immediately knew this was not going to work. it was heavy, man! damn, my body is getting old!!
and now, i'm thinking one body and 2 lenses along with the iPad mini...and pray the one body stays healthy for the trip.

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 02-11-2017   #2
Doug

I hear ya, Joe... We start getting a bit smarter about the load, with advancing age. One thing to consider is that you'll pack everything you need in that bag for the purposes of travel... But you can lighten the load significantly for those times out on the prowl for photos. You have no need out there carrying chargers, the iPad, earphones, and such, right? That stuff can be stashed back at your accommodations. The bag itself has weight, so if you can even dispense with that temporarily while shooting, carry just the camera and maybe a second lens in a pocket, with a spare battery and SD card. Done, and without aching shoulders!

Old 02-11-2017   #3
kshapero
My view

Maybe we are getting older or maybe wiser, cause weight sucks. I have traveled with one body due to weight, as in less weight, and yes the body failed. I ended up shooting part of my travels with my iPhone. And damn if they didn't come out damn nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 02-11-2017   #4
Mute-on

I started off carrying an Xe-1 with 18-55 and a few bits and bobs in a small shoulder bag around Paris. I barely lasted 2 days before the ache as unbearable. I was a little shocked since it really wasn't heavy.
Anyway, I picked up a decent backpack, threw the Fuji and much more in than I had before, and hardly noticed it even with the extra weight.
So really, this is a matter of weight distribution, and an aging body.
Get yourself a good quality, well designed hiking daypack and be happy
I have an Osprey since it is also very light when empty. Doubtless there are many others ...

Old 02-12-2017   #5
kuvvy

Decisions, decisions eh Joe. I'm going through this myself. You know I'm coming over to Canada in about three months and travelling on the Rocky Mountaineer railroad amongst other things. I recently got a Fuji XE2 and last week added the 18-55 thinking that along with my Samyang 12mm it would be a small enough kit. Even got a new Hadley Pro to put it all in. When put together though I find i don't really want to carry it. The Pro would be more a travelling bag, carrying other stuff too. One of my Bare Bones Bags will more likely be the daily choice.
I know I could get away with a fixed lens camera e.g. X100, X70 or Ricoh GR for my normal shooting needs. When I get out in the Rockies will I wish for more versatility than the fixed lens cams offer.
These thoughts are probably brought on by recently feeling the same about my general shooting habits. I often go out with a fixed lens cam and rarely use my Xpro1, XE1, XE2 to the point I'm considering selling them all and sticking to smaller cameras.
As this is a trip for my wife and I to celebrate our 'big' birthday I certainly don't want weighing down with gear so I think I need to concentrate on enjoying the travelling, the places and the people I meet along the way.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 02-12-2017   #6
Dogman

I can feel your pain, back alley. Literally.

I really don't have any solutions other than to advise you to put everything possible in that carry on bag and use the Tenba with only what you need to go out for the day of shooting. I'm always surprised at what I see people put in their camera bags. Do you really need that iPad while taking pictures? Some people carry around their battery chargers all the time even though they have spare batteries--leave the charger at the hotel and recharge later. I'm not familiar with the bag you mention but I do know some bags are heavier than others when empty.

I've also found the camera bag carries lighter when carried with the strap across the chest rather than hanging on a shoulder. The weight is distributed better and access to the bag is actually more stable. The bag weight is less if you carry one camera on your body by its strap rather than carrying it in the bag all the time.

If you have already tried the above, the only thing left to do is to completely rethink your travel equipment needs. Limit expectations and work within those limitations. Small cameras with large sensors and superb quality are available these days. Personally, I'm happy with the Fuji X100 series and Ricoh GR. Add the Fuji screw-in teleconverter and the Ricoh wide angle converter and you have two small, highly capable cameras covering focal lengths 21mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm. And they fit in a very small shoulder bag. And, of course, there are compact cameras with zooms that are an even lighter and smaller package.

Old 02-12-2017   #7
airfrogusmc

Joe I usually travel with my MM and a 35mm lens, batteries, charger and filters. That's it.

I used to travel with a very large bag with a lot of equipment. 2 sometime 3 bodies, lenses, tripod and all the other you need to support that and a very small bag with cloths.

Now its what i mentioned above and one small bag. Talk about liberating. I tend to being seeing in B&W and at a 35mm FoV so this is what works for me and my back and knees are thankful.

Old 02-12-2017   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Similar: Leica M-D + 35 + 75 lenses; spare card; battery and charger; iPad Pro 9.7" and charger; Lightning to SD Card Adapter. It all fits in a Tenba DNA8 nicely, and I leave the chargers and iPad Pro behind when I'm out walking to make photographs.

If I carry the iPad Pro separate of the camera bag, or carry the iPad mini3 instead, I can do with an even smaller, lighter bag like the A&A RRN 01C sling bag or a Pacsafe Camsafe V4 compact travel bag

When traveling, less is almost always more.

G

(Note: Long-term use report :: After two-three years of constant use, my Tenba DNA8 is showing signs of stress and wear. The stitching in several locations is beginning to come undone, and the insert's padding is getting pounded very thin. I've not had this much wear evident on any of my BLB, A&A, Billingham, or Domke bags with more than three times the number of years in use; my Domke F5XB is now over 24 years old and the external bits are getting a bit worn looking, but the seams are all tight and the padding is still near-new (I've worn out three straps); the Billingham L2 and the Black Label Bag Oskars One Day Bag Mark II are near to 10-12 years old and still look/feel new. I'm a little disappointed by the DNA 8's durability; the Tenba Messenger Mini, however, is almost a decade old and still going strong.)

Old 02-12-2017   #9
airfrogusmc

G,
I have been lusting after the M-D since its release. The M 262 is by far my favorite color digital body that I have owned.

Here's my usual travel kit.

Old 02-12-2017   #10
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

A good truly pocketable camera is wonderful for travel.

Chris

Old 02-12-2017   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
G,
I have been lusting after the M-D since its release. The M 262 is by far my favorite color digital body that I have owned.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...pseb4z8rl2.jpg
Looks lovely!

The M-D is my favorite M now: it's everything I wanted in a digital M and has nothing that I didn't. It just feels right and works right in every way for me.

In the DNA 8:

On the table:

G

Old 02-12-2017   #12
FrankS

This thread makes me feel like less of a wuss when I find my camera bag with Rollieflex TLR and SWC/M cameras too heavy to carry around. I think an assistant would be very helpful.

photography makes me happy

Old 02-12-2017   #13
robert blu
quiet photographer

I'll leave tomorrow for a short three days Valentine trip with my wife, the M7 with 50 cron on it, ND and yellow filter and a few Delta 100 films (by the way 24 exposures!) + moleskin, pencil and eraser. At home will be left the 35 cron, 75 cv, 12 cv,.......
robert
PS: when in my 30s I loved to carry two SLRs, lenses, bags, ...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-12-2017   #14
airfrogusmc

Robert I used to take a couple off 500 C/Ms and a 50, 80, 120 and 180 lenses, tripod. OUCH.... But I was young. Ha Ha...

Old 02-12-2017   #15
fenixv8

that is an amazing looking bag. may i ask where it is from?

Quote:

Old 02-12-2017   #16
fenixv8

btw my bag with a few lens body and ipad mini

Old 02-12-2017   #17
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Get to my age and you will probably want to carry even less!
At present if it won't go in a small bag/case strapped to my trouser belt, it doesn't go. Lumix LX7 with case and spare battery - 12oz, and that's enough!
I will probably go for a chest/shoulder strap when my trousers begin to fall down!

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 02-12-2017   #18
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixv8 View Post
that is an amazing looking bag. may i ask where it is from?

Thanks yeah it is from Angelo Pelle. It's WWI brown
http://www.angelo-pelle.com/henri-bag.html

Old 02-12-2017   #19
Peter Wijninga

I don't see the problem: buy a sturdy check-in wheelie bag; put your second body and lens in there. Keep your camera bag on your lap. If your checked-in luggage is a bit heavy, either the stewardess or a fellow passenger will assist you getting it into the overhead bin. Problem solved.

Old 02-12-2017   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Thanks yeah it is from Angelo Pelle. It's WWI brown
http://www.angelo-pelle.com/henri-bag.html
It is a lovely thing.

Not sure whether I like the style more than the Dothebag line, but both seem to be really nicely made, if a touch pricey. :-)

G

Old 02-12-2017   #21
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Robert I used to take a couple off 500 C/Ms and a 50, 80, 120 and 180 lenses, tripod. OUCH.... But I was young. Ha Ha...
Yes, we were young, those were times, maybe we didn't know it enough

robert

PS: this is now my minimalistic bag for my three days Valentine trip...with wife...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-12-2017   #22
twopointeight

I can't read every word here now so maybe I'm being redundant? I'm an aging pro still working and traveling for some of it. I've already downsized to a Fuji XT/XP system. Key words: wheels, distribution (of weight), keep your arms and legs in decent shape. Don't leave home with just one body. At least tuck away an older back-up body in your check in. Insure it and no worries.

Old 02-12-2017   #23
back alley
IMAGES

i don't usually do check in bags...one in overhead and a camera bag with my meds and diabetic snacks...i could do check in and maybe make life a bit easier.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-12-2017   #24
Pablito
coco frío

2 bodies mandatory if the photos are important or for work. Backpack with camera bag insert is the way to go. The same stuff carried in a a shoulder bag = pain. The same stuff in a backpack and you barely know it's there. That is my experience anyway.

Old 02-12-2017   #25
back alley
IMAGES

i dislike back packs...find them really uncomfortable.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-12-2017   #26
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
I felt the same way until I got one that fit right.

Old 02-12-2017   #27
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

When traveling, less is almost always more.

G
I'd go so far as remove "When traveling, " from the above statement.

Less is always more.

Old 02-13-2017   #28
Dogman

Quote:
Not just uncomfortable. Access is also a pain.

Old 02-13-2017   #29
fenixv8

I felt the same way about backpacks until I took a shoulder bag with me to New York City and spent the entire day walking around. It irritated an old shoulder injury. Doctor advised that I use a backpack. Backpack for long travel and events and smaller shoulder bag for everything else because I find them easier to gain quick access to gear.

Old 02-13-2017   #30
taemo

I remember when I first started getting into photography and travelling, a one week trip to Hawaii was a giant check-in luggage and a backpack with 2 DSLR bodies, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-300L.
Now after a couple of years of experience, I can fit all my clothes and tripod in a 45L backpack and my domke f2 with at least 2 cameras and small lenses.
We backpacked Asia last year and these 2 were my only camera gears other than the Voigtlander 50 missing on the frame

Old 02-13-2017   #31
back alley
IMAGES

my plans are to do some general sight seeing, typical tourist stuff and dome family portraits of family that i have not seen in many years. so i could get away with the 16 and 56 on 2 bodies and not break my back.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 02-13-2017   #32
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixv8 View Post
I felt the same way about backpacks until I took a shoulder bag with me to New York City and spent the entire day walking around. It irritated an old shoulder injury. Doctor advised that I use a backpack. Backpack for long travel and events and smaller shoulder bag for everything else because I find them easier to gain quick access to gear.
on a summer trip to NYC 2 years ago, I remember carrying my Domke F-2 with a Rolleiflex 2.8E, Hexar RF and a Ricoh GR for a couple of days until I had enough, went to the nearest store and bought the cheapest and decent looking backpack. It's my daily backpack now.
when we travel though I still use my Domke F-2 and just borrow my wifes osprey backpack if there's lots of walking involved.

Old 02-13-2017   #33
taemo

Quote:
my plans are to do some general sight seeing, typical tourist stuff and dome family portraits of family that i have not seen in many years. so i could get away with the 16 and 56 on 2 bodies and not break my back.
I hear you, initially when we were first travelling, photography was my #1 priority so I was bringing all the gears that I think I would need. (flash?, lots of batteries, all cleaning kits, all sorts of lenses, etc)
Now my priority has shifted to experiencing new cultures and seeing new things so photography has taken the back seat.
My go to gear now is a X-T2 with Zeiss 12 and XF18mm and FM2 with 28mm and 50mm. (I still bring my ultra light tripod as it weight only 1.5lbs)

Old 02-13-2017   #34
sevres_babylone

On my January trip to Vietnam, I took only my Ricoh GRII and an OM-1 with 50mm and 85mm lenses.

Old 02-25-2017   #35
PeterAM

Whenever I traveled with a lot of gear I used very little of it. My last trip I carried a Fuji X100T and simply geared my thinking to the limitations of the camera (and my body). Brought home some beautiful pictures. The biggest issue is one's mind set.