Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 12-30-2013   #121
Ambrosius

Maybe it depends on place... Here in Tokyo shooting with old fashioned cameras seems to be totally normal. I use odd cameras like my Rolle 35, and nobody pays attention. I suppose attention goes to the big and bulky cameras...

Old 12-30-2013   #122
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post

So, are film cameras more likely to be more fun and a better conversation starter than a digital camera?

Well for me, at least, its definitely true.

Stephen
I have fun shooting regardless what I carry, digital or film. For me, not much difference.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-30-2013   #123
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

More fun. More interest from the public.

Old 01-22-2014   #124
leica M2 fan

Same for me Stephen, I get a lot of comments when I'm out and about with the Rolleiflex or Rolleicord especially. My Rollei 35s get some comments like "can it actually take pictures with film?"or I used to have a Yashica 124 and it was similar. The M2 gets a lot of attention mostly from young women.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 02-13-2014   #125
Slow Down

I don't have a Rollei, but I have a Mamiya TLR and I can second that there is something about a TLR that is completely disarming. You're no longer a potentially dangerous individual hiding behind a camera... just a quirky individual playing with a harmless old camera. It's like you become a novelty.

I think there's a documentary on Joel Meyerowitz on youtube where he's shooting on the street with a 4x5 or 8x10. That's the ultimate. You're officially completely harmless with a large format camera! Only problem is you've gotta wait for the shot to come to you.

I recently bought my 2nd M6, and I bought a silver one. My original one was black because I thought it'd be less noticeable. I chose silver this time because it's MORE noticeable. Everybody's hiding behind black DSLR's. I want to be the harmless guy with the silver old camera. (Because I *am* the harmless guy with the silver old camera.)

Old 02-13-2014   #126
Rodchenko
Olympian

It's true that TLRs have a particular charm. I didn't take my Mamiya out on the streets (it's a bit big, and I used it mainly for copying work), but my Rolleicord and Microcord went out for a wander regularly. I felt really self-conscious going from a Minox 35 to a TLR, but folk were keen and interested, and I even got a few people wanting to pose for me.

I got most interest when I used my Ikonta. Funnily enough, twenty years on, I've used my Nettar for street photography, and haven't had a single comment. Odd, really.

Old 02-13-2014   #127
Rodchenko
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Down View Post
I don't have a Rollei, but I have a
I recently bought my 2nd M6, and I bought a silver one. My original one was black because I thought it'd be less noticeable. I chose silver this time because it's MORE noticeable. Everybody's hiding behind black DSLR's. I want to be the harmless guy with the silver old camera. (Because I *am* the harmless guy with the silver old camera.)
That's a very good point. I'm not normally susceptible to advertising, but, in the 80s, all cameras were black. And those that weren't black were just totally out of date, grandad!

So I taped up every logo and LED on my Minox for stealth, and got worried about my very silver OM-1. I bought a black SLR, which, ironically, had a very loud mirror clack, so was worse than the OM-1 for candid work.

Now, I appreciate the silver aesthetic. In fact, when I had a chance of buying one of the highly desirable black 35SPs, I passed.

That said, I'm hoping hard that a black Pen Wide on ebay slips under the radar and I get it for a bargain price!

I like the retro looks of some digital cameras, so I hope that, even when I've got a digital in my hands, I'll still be the harmless old bloke with a curious old camera.

Old 02-18-2014   #128
seascribe

Interesting that of the two cameras I carry, the X100 gets all of the attention. After I've brought the VF to my eye and taken a shot, invariably someone will come and ask if it's an old film Leica. Last Monday while eating in a downtown cafe, the manager came over to tell me she had a camera exactly like that back in the '80s.

The odd thing about my Monochrom...no one ever notices or comments. Must be its stealthiness. Well that's not entirely true, I had an old Asian gentleman, a tourist I think, come up to me pointing at my camera, saying "mo-no-crom," followed by a thumbs up sign.

Old 03-27-2014   #129
Chucknova

I often shoot with a Super Ikonta B and often will get comments from strangers. "My grandfather had one just like that!" is common.

Old 03-27-2014   #130
santino
eXpect me

once a japanese tourist group noticed me when I was taking pictures with my Contax Rts classic - a gentleman of the group came over to me and said "ah.. Contaaax"
btw he had a Nikon Df

Old 07-13-2014   #131
Ned
Ned

Re:- Film Cameras;
Get a 70's 35mm icon - the one & only Olympus OM1n and/or an OM2n - better still get both!

"Get Off the Beaten Track"
Ned

Old 07-20-2014   #132
Chang He
Whisky Priest

I took my Hasselblad 501 to a very touristy state park a few weeks ago and got tons of questions from everyone else in my group. Mostly along the "can you still buy film?" and "do you have to develop it yourself?" lines. A guy with a 5D Mark III and two of the largest L lenses I've ever seen said he missed film and wished he hadn't sold his Hasselblad. Then he went and shot 6fps at everything in sight

Old 07-20-2014   #133
kshapero
My view

Always get a conversation from someone when I am out with my Leica M3 or my film Nikon's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-22-2014   #134
emjo

When I was in some busier part of San Francisco a younger man with a DSLR around his neck recognized my slow photo taking with a Mamiya 7 and diverted to me just to get a closer look. "Film?" he asked, "Yes" I replied. Then he gave me a thumbs up, we both smiled and he was gone.

Old 10-06-2014   #135
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

at seoul, i started up some interesting conversations with film shooters in Hongdae. in broken english and broken korean, it was an interesting conversation indeed

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 10-06-2014   #136
Darshan

I was at a carnival with my family and took my OM2n with me. While I was photographing our kids, I got asked by 2 guys about the camera. The thing that surprised them most was that film was still available. One guy asked me if I was not missing any fun by not seeing an instant image of my kids on the camera. I told him I was having double fun; one by using a film camera and second by processing that film myself. He didn't get the second point.

my flickr
RFF feedback

They love the oldies
Old 10-31-2014   #137
Les Berkley

They love the oldies

Me and my cameras, that is. Lots of favorable comments on the Mamiya TLR and the Retina IIc, but my 'new' ETRS will actually draw people who've never seen old cameras. I will admit that the X-E1 also gets some looks and questions.

Old 10-31-2014   #138
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan View Post
I was at a carnival with my family and took my OM2n with me. While I was photographing our kids, I got asked by 2 guys about the camera. The thing that surprised them most was that film was still available. One guy asked me if I was not missing any fun by not seeing an instant image of my kids on the camera. I told him I was having double fun; one by using a film camera and second by processing that film myself. He didn't get the second point.
Actually, it's triple the fun.
3rd being the moment when you scan your images a couple of days/weeks after taking those shots.

I find film shooters easier to approach with as we seem to value more the experience of shooting and capturing the moment more than discussing about the latest gear.

Old 10-31-2014   #139
Spicy

usually it's more about discussing the earliest gear :-P

Old 10-31-2014   #140
leica M2 fan

I get all kinds of attention when I have my Rolleiflex or Rolleicord or Rollei 35s with me for a shoot. Never get comments with DSLR or mirrorless for that matter. Usually the comments are from older women and older men that someone in their family owned one of those.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 01-18-2015   #141
Nunley

You can get in a lot of trouble with shooting random people on the streets This week there was this guy in the subway that just came towards random girls and took a picture of their faces and just walked away... They are like ''WTF???''

Old 07-24-2015   #142
Dpingr1

Shooting movie film will definitely elicit questions! I get them with other film cameras too, but mainly from ones that do not look like DSLRs. For example, when you shoot with a Retina, people will look at you and wonder what the hell you are doing. But my favorite questions come from the many people who think film is already gone, especially older people, who seem very happy when you tell them that there is still plenty of film out there. Almost all such encounters have been enjoyable for me.

Old 07-24-2015   #143
JChrome
Street Worker

Having a film camera in Brooklyn makes everyone look at you like a hipster. Also the fact that I am in that age group, have an unshaven face, work in the tech industry and wear skinny jeans doesn't help ;-).

But with my GL690, I get stopped a lot. It's just really big and people always wonder why it's so big or what is that thing on the top (external viewfinder)? I like it. It gives me a chance to explain to folks about the differences between film and digital and why my MF rangefinder is better than most.

Old 07-25-2015   #144
Alpsman

Was only stopped once with my chrome F on a little festival in the hillsides from a guy with a big Nikon D-something with long zoomlens & flash on it:
"Ah, the new Df in chrome!"
"No, an old F in chrome"
He couldnt believe, that there are still people out and working with "that old stuff"

Old 07-25-2015   #145
Brian Atherton

Carrying my Leica, I rarely get stopped in London. However, in June while in Pret a Manger, Piccadilly, perched on a stool by the window with my camera over my shoulder, eating a sandwich, a suited gent took the stool next to mine:

Suited gent, unwrapping his just bought sandwich, with a knowing look and jiggle of his eyebrows: “Nice camera. German? Leica?”
Me: “Thank you. Yes, on both counts. Do you have an interest in photography?”
Suited gent, ignoring my question: “Looks expensive. Is it?”
Me: “Depends on your budget.”
Suited gent, throwing the sandwich wrapper in the bin: “Doesn’t everything, mate. Doesn’t everything.”

With that he hopped off the stool and walked off.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 08-28-2015   #146
skucera

Maybe I'm now old enough to have the perspective of age, but I remember when having any odd camera would generate attention. I had an Olympus XA and a Pentax Auto 110 in the Eighties, and had lots of people asking about them both. (I still have those cameras, too.)

In the late Nineties, I had the first digital cameras, an Apple QuickTake 100 and a Kodak DC120, the first "megapixel" camera, and I had lots of people asking about them. (I don't have either of those cameras anymore.) Then came a long era when nobody asked about any camera I owned, film or digital.

Now, there are so few people using film cameras, so most of them are older, and they seem to get folks talking whenever they're used. Nobody comments about an iPhone or a Galaxy S being used as a camera, but bring out a Leica or a Konica, and folks smile and start reminiscing.

Scott

Last edited by skucera : 08-28-2015 at 20:11. Reason: grammar corrections

Old 08-28-2015   #147
Doug

Nobody has commented on my Pentax K-3, only the digital Leicas. I don't carry film cameras any more, so no good comparison can be made.

Another tourist at Sea World asked me what kind of camera I was carrying (taped Leica S2) and I just said it was an SLR and he said "cool".

A reporter smoking out back of the newspaper office remarked on my old film camera and I showed her the back of the M9. Similarly wrapping up a medical appointment the doc said "what's with the antique camera?" I showed him the back of the M240... Nice bit of conversation in both instances.

Old 09-14-2015   #148
JChrome
Street Worker

I was out in the street with my Chamonix 4x5... And you should have heard all of the conversation people were getting into with me...

I had 4 different people over the course of an hour chat me up about it. Some folks even want to get their picture taken! Imagine that in the middle of Brooklyn!

Trying taking someone's photo in Brooklyn and see how happy they are about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2016   #149
sara

I've had more people come up to talk to me when I'm carrying my Leica

Old 09-11-2016   #150
unixrevolution

I like to go to the local Rennaissance Festival, and I almost always shoot film. Everyone there loves seeing my film cameras going and I"ve started tons of conversations. I've shot 35mm SLRs, rangefinders, medium format and even 4x5 and 8x10. Always a conversation starter. I refuse to shoot only digital there, now.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 09-11-2016   #151
VitoCipriani

I was shooting at an event earlier this year, using my Leica M3, and a chap in his 60s came up to me and said, "That looks almost like a 'real' camera". I showed him that I was using an M3, and he was impressed and engaged me in a conversation about the vintage Voigtlander camera that his mother had owned since the late 1920s (I would imagine it was the 1929 Bessa, from the way he described it).

Another time I was in a supermarket with my Bessa R around my neck and another chap came up to me, super excited and asked to look through the viewfinder: he used a Leica M3 and M9, he said, but had been considering buying a Bessa R for a while.

My dentist, who's a keen photographer but only shoots with digital cameras, is always keen to see what 35mm camera I've brought with me to my appointments with him. (It's a long walk to my dentist's offices, and I always take a camera with me.) He usually likes to handle the camera I have on me at the time: he's interested in pursuing film photography but thinks the learning curve will be too much of a hurdle and drain on his free time.

On the other hand, the only time conversations have been sparked when I've had a digital camera with me have been when they've been mistaken for film cameras: carrying my Fuji X-E1 on a work-related trip, one of my managers cooed delightedly, 'Ooh, is that a Leica?', until I explained to her that it wasn't; and recently, an external visitor was fascinated by my Fuji X-Pro1, but only after initially believing it to be a 35mm Leica.

I must admit, when I'm out and about I'm more interested in seeing what someone's shooting with when I realise they're using a film camera: when I see someone using a film camera I've owned or used myself in the past, I find I'm much more inspired to talk to them than if I see someone using a generic DSLR - but then, I guess, they're more likely to be like-minded enthusiasts if they're using a 35mm camera, and maybe that's part of it.

Old 02-02-2017   #152
Evan Bedford

The biggest (in more ways than one) conversation starter I've owned has been a Fuji Gx680 on a Berlebach tripod.