Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

Am I the only one that prefers the Xpan/TX1 to the Xpan2/TX2?
Old 11-25-2016   #1
Huss

Am I the only one that prefers the Xpan/TX1 to the Xpan2/TX2?

Right now I have the Xpan1 and TX2 (Xpan 2) in my possession.
And funny thing I prefer the Xpan1 (Fuji TX1) for several reasons.
The VF is clearer. The exposure confirmation dot does not block anything, and most of the time from experience I can accurately estimate what the shutter speed is. If I am not sure, holding down the shutter button half way locks the exposure, so I can then see what the actual speed read out is on the back.
The Xpan2/TX2's exposure read out impedes on the bottom edge of the VF, taking away that extra compositional space that RF cameras are so good at providing.
I much prefer both the ISO dial, and the exposure compensation dial on the XPan/TX1, than the teeny buttons that need to be pushed and scrolled through on the Xpan2/TX2.
If you want to shoot infrared film, the Xpan2/TX2 is meant to be better as it apparently does not fog the film, but the owner's manual still recommends testing it first with whatever film you are going to use. So it seems to not be 100% certain.
The Xpan2/TX2 allows for one stop longer exposure on the bulb setting - something I'll never use, it allows for choice of film leader in/out and multiple exposures. I think the only thing I'd ever use there is maybe the multiple exposure ability but again it is so fiddly to use - multiple teeny button pushings - that I'd prefer to use a camera like a Nikon FE2 or Minolta XK where the process is extremely simple.
Add the fact that a XpanII/TX2 is much more expensive than an Xpan/TX1, I honestly could not recommend it over the first gen. Even for the same money. I just find the handling (dials) and VF (clearer) on the Xpan/TX1 to be superior.

I may shoot another roll or two before deciding whether to keep my TX2, or sell it on.

Old 11-27-2016   #2
Arthur

Are the TX2 and the XPAN2 truly identical... except for "cosmetics?"

Old 11-27-2016   #3
twopointeight

I have an TX1 with 45mm and 90mm lenses that I was considering selling, but now may reconsider?

I don't have the center filter. Have you found it really necessary, or can vignetting be corrected well in post?

Is the TX1 serviceable in the U.S. just in case there's a problem?

Old 11-27-2016   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Are the TX2 and the XPAN2 truly identical... except for "cosmetics?"
Yes they are identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopointeight View Post
I have an TX1 with 45mm and 90mm lenses that I was considering selling, but now may reconsider?

I don't have the center filter. Have you found it really necessary, or can vignetting be corrected well in post?

Is the TX1 serviceable in the U.S. just in case there's a problem?
I have found that the center filter is necessary if you shoot at apertures larger than f11 on the 45mm lens. You can remove some of the vignetting in LightRoom, but you can only do so much before it effects the image if the edges have dark as well as light areas.
But some people don't mind that look. But I do as I often like to have my subject on the side of the frame.

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $150. Plenty are priced much higher of course!

Precision Camera Works services the Fuji/Xpan

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/services.html

I just finished the film in my almost like new TX-2 and will be selling it, as I prefer my TX-1 and Xpan. For me the clearer viewfinder view is worth it. Others may find value in seeing the shutter speed read out in the VF.

Old 11-27-2016   #5
brbo

Never used the XPan2. But, at least on paper, the upgrades look sensible. OK, so not many people will need them all, but I'm sure there are quite a few of them that would appreciate one or two additional features. If the price difference was less I'd definitely go for ver. II. The exposure compensation and ISO dials on Xpan I are probably the worst dedicated dials I've ever used, no wonder they got rid of them and moved the controls to the back. I bet at some point they even considered requiring to use a coin to adjust exp. comp

First revisions of XPan1 had max. bulb time of 30s! As a landscape camera that might be quite a limitation for a fair number of users.

I have the center filter for my 45 and I'm yet to take a picture where I would mind the vignetting. Even if it was there

Old 11-28-2016   #6
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
... I bet at some point they even considered requiring to use a coin to adjust exp. comp..
Best line I've read in ages!

Old 11-28-2016   #7
Huss

Quote:
The exposure compensation and ISO dials on Xpan I are probably the worst dedicated dials I've ever used, no wonder they got rid of them and moved the controls to the back. I bet at some point they even considered requiring to use a coin to adjust
And yet I prefer them than pushing the buttons and scroll through menus on my TX-2!

That may put into perspective how bad I find them.

Hmm I'm not doing so well in selling my TX-2 here.. 'clears throat'.. all the changes to the TX-2/Xpan2 make it a much better camera than the previous version, so much so that I could not imagine anyone could take pics with the previous version.
(I hope I did not sound like Steve Huff there.. )

Old 11-29-2016   #8
brbo

I get you. You prefer the first version (even before considering the price difference).

A lot of people don't. For a lot of people the upgrades/downgrades make sense.

Old 11-29-2016   #9
tocalosh

I prefer the Xpan II. For the way I shoot having the shutter speed displayed in the viewfinder is very helpful, in changing lighting it speeds things up. Getting 21 frames on every roll is also a bonus.
I've upgraded my second body to the Xpan II, I got it off eBay, sold my Xpan I on commission at a camera shop in London, and came out in credit.

Old 11-29-2016   #10
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocalosh View Post
Getting 21 frames on every roll is also a bonus.
I noticed that XPan is very conservative with calculation of the number of frames it will shoot. I always end with unexposed film on the beginning of the roll that would easily accommodate at least one more panoramic frame (ok, I never expose more of the film leader than absolutely necessary, but still...).

Did XPan2 change something in that regard?

Old 11-29-2016   #11
Huss

Quote:
I noticed that XPan is very conservative with calculation of the number of frames it will shoot. I always end with unexposed film on the beginning of the roll that would easily accommodate at least one more panoramic frame (ok, I never expose more of the film leader than absolutely necessary, but still...).

Did XPan2 change something in that regard?
That is weird, I just checked my negs and my Xpan1 only shoots 20 pano exposures to a 36 exp roll, while my TX1 and TX2 shoot 21.

Old 11-29-2016   #12
twopointeight

Xpan and TX shooters, link me to your work, particularly street, social landscapes, and conceptual portraits.

Old 11-29-2016   #13
brbo

Quote:
Xpan and TX shooters, link me to your work, particularly street, social landscapes, and conceptual portraits.
Uh, big words. I just use it as a family/holiday camera.

Old 11-29-2016   #14
twopointeight

I'd also like see examples from small, tight interior spaces. Is the parallex effective at 10-15 feet? Thanks for the link brbo.

Old 11-29-2016   #15
Huss

Quote:
Uh, big words. I just use it as a family/holiday camera.

I really enjoyed going through your photos. Really well done!
Thanks for the link.

Old 11-29-2016   #16
brbo

Quote:
Is the parallex effective at 10-15 feet?
What do you mean exactly? XPan has parallax-corrected frame-lines that help with composition (of course, they can't be as good as TTL), but at 3-5m distance I wouldn't expect any problem.

Old 11-30-2016   #17
Huss

Quote:
Quote:
I'd also like see examples from small, tight interior spaces. Is the parallex effective at 10-15 feet? Thanks for the link brbo.

You have pretty much the same camera. Why don't you take some shots and see?

Old 12-31-2016   #18
Huss

Ahem...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...5mm-lens/cat/4

Old 12-31-2016   #19
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I've been pretty happy with my XPAN 1, with no real wish to upgrade. Now that I have read this, I'm even happier!

Old 01-01-2017   #20
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I've been pretty happy with my XPAN 1, with no real wish to upgrade. Now that I have read this, I'm even happier!
Don't blame you. But some people really need to see the shutter speeds in the VF, like it is a make or break thing. Funny because no-one seems to have an issue with cameras like the Leica M6, MP etc not showing the shutter speed in the VF!

Old 01-01-2017   #21
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
But some people really need to see the shutter speeds in the VF, like it is a make or break thing. Funny because no-one seems to have an issue with cameras like the Leica M6, MP etc not showing the shutter speed in the VF!
But with M6 and MP you don't have to see the shutter speed because you KNOW it. You can't know the shutter speed of Xpan1 set to "A" without taking your eye from the viewfinder. And, yes, below 1/30s handheld Xpan WILL break your shot. I mean, even M7 has shutter speed in viewfinder, doesn't it? And we know how painful it is for Leica to add even the most basic features to their cameras...

Personally, I don't have a problem because I don't trust Xpan meter enough to put the camera in "A" mode. But I guess there are people that can find a use for shutter speed indicator in the viewfinder or can find a reason or two to prefer v2 to v1. On the other hand not many can find thousand or so dollars...

Old 01-02-2017   #22
Huss

Quote:
But with M6 and MP you don't have to see the shutter speed because you KNOW it. You can't know the shutter speed of Xpan1 set to "A" without taking your eye from the viewfinder. And, yes, below 1/30s handheld Xpan WILL break your shot. I mean, even M7 has shutter speed in viewfinder, doesn't it? And we know how painful it is for Leica to add even the most basic features to their cameras...

Personally, I don't have a problem because I don't trust Xpan meter enough to put the camera in "A" mode. But I guess there are people that can find a use for shutter speed indicator in the viewfinder or can find a reason or two to prefer v2 to v1. On the other hand not many can find thousand or so dollars...
You know the shutter speed on the M6 or MP because you have already set it before bringing the camera up to the eye. Then if you do not have the correct exposure and need to start changing things, if the thing you change is the shutter speed then you may need to take the camera away from the eye again to confirm what you have done. After all, the M6/MP etc is not like the greatest Leica ever made - the M5 - where there is no need for that!
With the Xpan, you can check the shutter speed before you bring it up to the eye by pointing it at the scene, then bring it up to the eye. Also basic familiarity with the Sunny F16 rule would let you know where you should be.

Old 01-02-2017   #23
brbo

Quote:
You know the shutter speed on the M6 or MP because you have already set it before bringing the camera up to the eye. Then if you do not have the correct exposure and need to start changing things, if the thing you change is the shutter speed then you may need to take the camera away from the eye again to confirm what you have done.
I don't have to.

Quote:
After all, the M6/MP etc is not like the greatest Leica ever made - the M5 - where there is no need for that!
Are you saying that one of useful things in M5 is that you get shutter speed information in viewfinder? Maybe you have an issue with that too? But we sure don't see many people complaining about it. And, yes, I know M5 provides even more/better information about exposure. I even opted for Nikon FE2 over the highly praised FM2 (that has the same style of shutter speed) just because of this.

Quote:
With the Xpan, you can check the shutter speed before you bring it up to the eye by pointing it at the scene, then bring it up to the eye. Also basic familiarity with the Sunny F16 rule would let you know where you should be.
I agree (except for the part that you can get a meaningful reading from pointing the Xpan at the scene without looking through viewfinder - no way!). As I said before there might be people who would like to have access to aperture priority mode on a camera like Xpan. Xpan1 has one, but it's basically useless.

To be clear, I'm not saying that you HAVE to like Xpan2 better than Xpan1. Just that you may actually be the only one.

Old 01-07-2017   #24
Huss

Quote:
As I said before there might be people who would like to have access to aperture priority mode on a camera like Xpan. Xpan1 has one, but it's basically useless.
The useless aperture priority mode works great in all mine.

Perhaps your Xpan is damaged? After all it also has exp compensation and ISO dials that you are unable to turn? Mine turn easily.

Old 01-30-2017   #25
Huss

I noticed that the number of exposures from a 36 exp roll of film depends on the mfg and type.
I get 21 exposures on the TX-1 and TX-2 using a 36 exp roll of Kodak Portra 400, but only
20 using a 36 exp roll of Fuji 200.