Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Old 11-10-2014   #41
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by literiter View Post
It may also be useful to include topics like the scanning and display of slides on large screen televisions as well.
No, I have to disagree here, because we already have a scanning sub-forum for that topic.

Cheers, Jan

Old 11-10-2014   #42
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
What's up with that? I wanted to talk about slide projectors!

Somebody start one!
+1 !!!

It is really useful, we want it!
Rff would really benefit, being more attractive.

Cheers, Jan

Old 11-10-2014   #43
Fuchs

Let's have a slide/projection subforum!!!
I very often use two projectors, a Leica P150 and a Rollei P37a during lessons to show repros of famous photographers' work, and students love the setting up ritual and the eventual reversed/stuck/wrong slide against the digital perfection of Keynote or Powerpoint prepared lessons!
My flickr

Old 08-09-2016   #44
wakarimasen

For shame, this thread languishes in the odds and ends box...

I think I may have just broken my Reflecta. An injudicious push of the index arm - a clunk - and no more indexing. Now on the lookout for another.

Alternatively, I'm interested in a 120/35 projector - any suggestions?

Old 08-10-2016   #45
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakarimasen View Post
For shame, this thread languishes in the odds and ends box...

I think I may have just broken my Reflecta. An injudicious push of the index arm - a clunk - and no more indexing. Now on the lookout for another.

Alternatively, I'm interested in a 120/35 projector - any suggestions?
There are a lot of photographers over at photo.net, so it might be more fruitful to do a search over there. They even used to have a dedicated slide projector forum, but it seems to have gone the way of all things. Pity. Still, one can access a lot of information there.

http://photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_...ide+Projection

I can testify to the (admittedly spendy) all around goodness of the Hasselblad
PCP 80 for 120. There are lots of good choices for 35, but search over at photo.net.
Not allowing a slide projection forum here was a large lost opportunity to promote a still valid art form IMO. (Notice I said valid, not viable)
Yes, nobody does it so it is "dead" in the same way that illustrated manuscripts are dead. But, as someone else said, when was the last time 100 million people were right about anything.

Old 08-10-2016   #46
wakarimasen

Thanks Larry - I followed your link, but I think the most recent post was from 2004

Quite a few here

Are the Leica projectors (such as the P150) really much better than the Reflecta models for 35mm?

Old 08-10-2016   #47
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I use a P150 and like it. My only comparisons are the very beat up ektagraphic something I used at work years ago and my dads Kodak something or other from 1961.

Old 08-10-2016   #48
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Thanks Larry - I followed your link, but I think the most recent post was from 2004

Quite a few here

Are the Leica projectors (such as the P150) really much better than the Reflecta models for 35mm?
I've had no experience with the Reflecta, so I can't help there. About all I can add is that my RT300 Leitz is nicer than my Ektagraphic Pro, or whatever they call it, but not by that much. Both those were brighter and sharper than my garden variety Kodak Carousels.
I guess that isn't much help, but it is the best I can do from personal experience.

Old 08-10-2016   #49
wakarimasen

Woohooo! After a bit of disassembly, a little screwdriver poking and some head scratching, the Diamator lives and works!

So, I don't need a 35mm projector, but a MF model might be interesting.

Old 08-10-2016   #50
charjohncarter

I use a Kodak Carousel that is 40 to 50 years old. I buy the carousels on ebay, have a wonder screen from 30 years ago. There is nothing like seeing your slides projected. I know my rig is old school but like the sound, smell, and nostalgia of my stuff.

This is one from my collection; 1963 Instamatic with AG-1 bulb:

1963 Slides by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 08-10-2016   #51
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Woohooo! After a bit of disassembly, a little screwdriver poking and some head scratching, the Diamator lives and works!

So, I don't need a 35mm projector, but a MF model might be interesting.
Congrats on getting the Diamator up & running! Still, a dual format projector is an interesting idea. It has a parallel in motion pictures. When 70mm movies came out, Century made a 35/70mm projector, so that theaters could show the two formats interchangeably. A dual format projector could be useful at home, too!

Old 08-10-2016   #52
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I use a Kodak Carousel that is 40 to 50 years old. I buy the carousels on ebay, have a wonder screen from 30 years ago. There is nothing like seeing your slides projected. I know my rig is old school but like the sound, smell, and nostalgia of my stuff.

This is one from my collection; 1963 Instamatic with AG-1 bulb:

1963 Slides by John Carter, on Flickr
You could do an entire class on the range of body language from just this one photo.
I like it.

Old 08-10-2016   #53
rfaspen

A projection subforum makes a lot of sense. It could be set up to include all manner of displayed image systems (large screen digital, digital projection, analog projection, ???).

I used to project slides rather often. But with digital and all..... Anyway, I kept my projector (Kodak carousel 650H or something like that) and just a few trays. I donated the remaining 10-20 carousels to the local thrift store. I needed the space and I haven't shown slides for a while now.

Now, I actually like the idea of projecting again from time to time (obviously, I kept the projector and a few trays), but I'm not enamored with the quality of my projection. I'm fairly certain this is because of the lens. I've never attempted to locate a better lens for my projector because I don't know where to start.

Are there standard "mounts" for projector lenses? Can I actually use a high quality lens on my lowly Kodak 650H? Assuming I could find such a thing, are there nice Schneider, Zeiss, Leitz, etc. lenses that I could use instead of the Kodak whatever that came with my projector? What would I look for. Where to start?

Hmmm.

Old 08-10-2016   #54
rfaspen

Doh! Just noticed that I gave my support to the idea of a projection subforum....a request that happened over 2 years ago. Still like it. Still wish I knew more about putting a great lens on my mediocre Kodak projector...

Old 08-11-2016   #55
FujiLove

I've recently been getting back into taking and viewing slides and I'm really enjoying it. There's something quite magical about looking at slides on a lightbox. They look like precious jewels to me.

I bought a Pradovit CA2500 with the Colorplan lens for 35mm, and a Rollei 66 projector for 6x6. I don't have anything to compare them against, but the projected slides look amazing through both systems. In some ways the 35mm slides are most impressive because there is so much detail and so little grain. Obviously, the medium format slides even more so, but I'm used to those already looking very detailed.

Shooting slide film for projection is having a big positive impact on how I take photos. The higher cost per shot means I'm a little more careful about my subjects, which is resulting in a very high hit-rate per roll. I shot a roll of Velvia on holiday and out of 38 photos, I've marked off 30 for mounting. And believe me, given the time it takes to mount them (I'm scavenging mounts from old slides), I'm very selective. The inability to crop means my framing has improved, and I'm now using a spot meter and learning to use the zone system properly. It's a fantastic learning experience and definitely pushing my skills up a notch.

Next project: learning to shoot and process my own B&W slides. Bring it on!

Old 08-11-2016   #56
FujiLove

Oh and yes, a projection/projectors sub-forum would be great.

Old 08-11-2016   #57
wakarimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Next project: learning to shoot and process my own B&W slides. Bring it on!
B&W slides? I need to know more!

Old 08-11-2016   #58
wakarimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
You could do an entire class on the range of body language from just this one photo.
I like it.
From left to right, it's like the three stages of relaxation during an evening.

Old 08-11-2016   #59
quejai

Quote:

You can do it with any black and white film. However, for best results you need to pick a film that has high contrast, otherwise it will be ultra flat. I'm so keen to try it out but I still haven't gotten around to it. Here're Ilford's instruction on how to do it.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20061291034093.pdf

Old 08-11-2016   #60
FujiLove

Quote:
There are tons of threads over on APUG. You can use a lot of different films and there are a few options for reversing the film, either chemically or using light (the Ilford method). I'm going to try the chemical process first using 'Iron Out'.

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...o-much-fuss.5/

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?.../#post-1506205

Have a look at the experiments carried out by the user 'Destroya'

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...estroya.58876/

Old 08-11-2016   #61
FujiLove

Quote:
By all accounts, and amazingly, reversed B&W film seems to have even more detail than in it's negative form. More details about the films that work well can be found on this site:

http://www.dr5.com/

These guys are setting up their lab after a move, so you should be able to get slides created commercially again soon.

Old 08-11-2016   #62
rumbliegeos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
A projection subforum makes a lot of sense. It could be set up to include all manner of displayed image systems (large screen digital, digital projection, analog projection, ???).

I used to project slides rather often. But with digital and all..... Anyway, I kept my projector (Kodak carousel 650H or something like that) and just a few trays. I donated the remaining 10-20 carousels to the local thrift store. I needed the space and I haven't shown slides for a while now.

Now, I actually like the idea of projecting again from time to time (obviously, I kept the projector and a few trays), but I'm not enamored with the quality of my projection. I'm fairly certain this is because of the lens. I've never attempted to locate a better lens for my projector because I don't know where to start.

Are there standard "mounts" for projector lenses? Can I actually use a high quality lens on my lowly Kodak 650H? Assuming I could find such a thing, are there nice Schneider, Zeiss, Leitz, etc. lenses that I could use instead of the Kodak whatever that came with my projector? What would I look for. Where to start?

Hmmm.
I projected 35mm slides for years in teaching, and became acquainted with the different qualities of projectors and lenses. Both Schneider and Navitar made high end lenses for Kodak Carousel and Ektagraphic projectors, and they tend be larger f stop lenses, 2.8 versus 3.5. I bought a Schneider zoom lens that provides far higher resolution, brightness and minimized light fall-off in the corners than the normal Kodak lenses. But Kodak also made a more expensive and higher quality range of lenses - you should be able to find this information, and I suspect the very good lenses are available for reasonable prices. They really make a difference.

Old 08-11-2016   #63
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbliegeos View Post
Both Schneider and Navitar made high end lenses for Kodak Carousel and Ektagraphic projectors..... But Kodak also made a more expensive and higher quality range of lenses - you should be able to find this information, and I suspect the very good lenses are available for reasonable prices.
Thanks for the motivation. I suppose a round of "internet research" is in order. You mentioned one characteristic of my current lens that drives me nuts.....falloff (or vignetting). But also sharpness/resolution. I'm guessing prime lenses are superior to zoom.

Last night I peeked in the closet. Yup, the projector and a few carousels are still there, along with a Da-Lite screen (but my flat white wall seems to work better).

Old 08-12-2016   #64
Peter de Waal

I love projecting slides. Straight-tray projectors are popular in NZ, so I decided to concentrate on Leitz models. I mostly use a Pradovit P150 with a Colorplan-P2 90mm f/2.5. The Hektor-P2 85mm that P150's come with has so much field curvature that it's really only good for keeping out dust.

I sometimes use a pair of Pradovit Color 150's also with Colorplan 90's - one is an early type with the earlier 46mm polished alloy tube, another with the later black 42.5mm tube.

I prefer the quietness of the P150, but the Color 150's are superb quality machines and the earlier Colorplan 90's have a flatter field than the later P2 type.

I have a Pradovit C2500 with a Colorplan 90 and Elmaron 200mm but no hand control. It's a solid commercial-grade machine, but noisy. They were the standard slide projector at universities here for decades.

From the early 1960's I also have 4x Pradovit-n and 2x Pradovit-f. One Pradovit-n belonged to my father.

There is also a late 1950's Prado 500 with Hector 2.8/250mm & Dimar 4.0/25cm, plus a Prado-SM with a 2.5/12cm Hektor. The "Pradoseum" site has good pages on the ancient stuff:

http://www.pradoseum.eu/englisch-ver...auraum-en.html

The early Pradovit-n's are a thing of electro-mechanical beauty with the lovely snick-snick of the slide change mechanism, but the 12v tungsten bulbs are pretty dim compared to any modern halogen projector. The ancient Prado's are brighter, but run at frightening temperatures.

For medium format I have a Noris Trumph Halogen and a Rollei P66A. The Rollei at least takes 6x6 slide trays.

I used to shoot K64 & K200, but unfortunately Kodak decided otherwise. Perhaps Kodak's recent change of heart with regard to the profitability of film production will extend to re-introducing Kodachrome?

Their recent statement to the Times of India talked about promoting the "archival" qualities of film and Kodachrome is the only material to meet that criteria (under certain conditions).

If you are on a budget I would recommend getting a Leitz Pradovit Color 150 or 250 with the superb Colorplan 2.5-90mm lens. Many have survived and Leica can still fix them.

Any of the more modern Leica units, i.e. the P150, P300 or P600 would also be good, but you pay a lot more money for them. You can also find "IR" versions of these later models which is handy if you like to walk around the room when showing slides.

Medium Format Projector
Old 08-12-2016   #65
AZPhotog
Keith S

Medium Format Projector

I have a Leitz CA 2500 for 35mm and would like to find a good quality projector for MF 6 X 6.

If I can locate a good projector, I intend to start shooting Velvia transparency in my Hasselblad 503CX.

Doing some research shows that although no one seems to mount MF slides any longer, actual slide holders, both glassed and non-glassed, are available from a larger eastern photo store.

Yes - I would be interested in a Projector Forum.

Old 08-12-2016   #66
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPhotog View Post
I have a Leitz CA 2500 for 35mm and would like to find a good quality projector for MF 6 X 6.

If I can locate a good projector, I intend to start shooting Velvia transparency in my Hasselblad 503CX.

Doing some research shows that although no one seems to mount MF slides any longer, actual slide holders, both glassed and non-glassed, are available from a larger eastern photo store.

Yes - I would be interested in a Projector Forum.
I have used both the Hasselblad PCP80 projector, and a Rollei MF projector. Both are good. The Hasselblad has a perspective control lens, and its rotary tray has a larger capacity. The Rollei takes a more compact, easier to store tray.

One of these days, maybe the mods will see their way clear to our own forum!

Old 08-13-2016   #67
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter de Waal View Post
I prefer the quietness of the P150, but the Color 150's are superb quality machines and the earlier Colorplan 90's have a flatter field than the later P2 type.

I have a Pradovit C2500 with a Colorplan 90 and Elmaron 200mm but no hand control. It's a solid commercial-grade machine, but noisy. They were the standard slide projector at universities here for decades.
I have the big brother of Color 150, the Color 250, and they have the rock-solid construction of that Leitz era. The C2500/CA2500 family is higher end, but not better built. I'm fortunate to them both. As for the noise, well, it comes with the territory.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Profoto

Old 08-15-2016   #68
Spavinaw

Help! So far I have found Kodak lenses for Carousel type projectors with seven different names:
Slide Projection
Ektanar C
Projection Ektanar
Projection Ektanon
Projection Ektagraphic
Ektapro Projection
Ektapro Select Projection
I know the Ektapro Select Projection is the best, but I don't know the quality order of the other lenses. Can anyone arrange thus list in order of quality? If you can, thanks.

Old 08-15-2016   #69
Larry Cloetta

http://kxcamera.com/pro-lenses.html

I have no financial connection to this person outside of sending him money now and then, but have found him to be helpful and knowledgeable in the past.
He seems to be a good source of information along the lines of what lens is better than which other lens, and I have felt that he has been honest with me regarding all things projection.
FWIW

Old 08-15-2016   #70
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

The "C" in "Ektanar C" is for (C)urved field. This lens is used to correct for the curvature of a slide that has "popped" on account of the heat from the projection lamp. "Popping" is a normal thing when projecting slides that are in cardboard mounts, or glassless plastic mounts. It is due to the unequal expansion, from heat, of the emulsion and non-emulsion sides of the film. Glass mounting prevents this. For other mounts, a "C" lens may help to maintain focus across the field.

Old 08-27-2016   #71
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Agfa used to make a B&W slide film called Scala. Long discontinued, I'm afraid. There are alternatives using negative film, but they will not be as clear as Scala because of the negative base.

Old 09-18-2016   #72
John inglis

would be nice to have a forum here with so many knowledgable people.
Short of that this is a great thread

Old 01-29-2017   #73
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by John inglis View Post
would be nice to have a forum here with so many knowledgable people.
Short of that this is a great thread
Yes, we are still waiting. All things come to he who waits ...

And Waits ...

Meanwhile, I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Ektagraphic projectors with Leitz RT300s. I have two RT300s so far, holding off buying a third; but I may do that. Directly comparing an Ektagraphic with an RT300, the color is better with the RT300. So why do I hesitate? My Golden Navitar Perspective Control lenses will not fit in the narrow tunnel of the RT300. I could use my Schneider PC lenses, but they are still tricky to adjust inside the lens tunnel. Not impossible, but tricky. A little sheet metal work with a tinsnips might solve the problem. But do I really want to do that to an RT300? One other thing: I would have to build yet another projector stand. But I think I'm going to do that.

From a sound level standpoint, they are about even. The Ektagraphic makes more noise when changing slides, but has a quieter fan. You can change bulbs in the RT300 without disturbing the position of the projector. Overall, I think the RT300 wins.

Old 01-29-2017   #74
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I was lucky and found a Rollei P66 for cheap at a thrift store. I haven't shot much for 6x6, much less slides historically so I need to shoot more but from what I have and what vintage slides came with the projector, it is one of my favorite ways to view photographs.

Quite incredible, compared to viewing photos on an LCD screen. Even if the quality was the same, taking the time to set up a tray of slides and really view them intently vs flicking through 10x or 100x more photos, the end result is very different.

Old 01-29-2017   #75
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
I like it.
I never thought of that; funny. I'm going to go back and rescan this one. I think I can do it better now.