Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Frank-six manual
Old 12-18-2016   #1
jwc57

Frank-six manual

Anyone have an idea on where I might find some instructions or a manual (prefer online) for a Frank-Six? Neighbor gave me this camera a couple of years ago and I've finally gotten around to checking it out. It appears to be inoperable--shutter doesn't cock or fire----or I'm doing something wrong. Usually I can figure a camera out fairly quickly, but I'm having trouble with this Frank-six.

It is a rangerfinder, folder. Focusing is via a thumb wheel on the back of the camera. It has a Tosei 80mm 3.5 lens. It has Frank-six in script on the top housing along with a V and R. Serial number 1838 below the VR.

I like to use any cameras in my "collection" at least once before shelving it, and I think this one would be interesting to use. Not to mention I'd like to have a MF folder and this one seems to be able to shoot 4.5x6 and 6x6 frames

Any help would be really appreciated.

Old 12-18-2016   #2
Greyscale

I think that finding a manual will be much harder than finding a Frank Six, as they are quite uncommon. Good luck!

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-18-2016   #3
Greyscale

If it is a Frank Six II, it will be one of only two known to exist. But, being a rangefinder, it is probably the equally (or possibly more) uncommon Frank Six V.

ETA: Your "VR" model seems to be completely undocumented, as far as an actual photo, on the internet. I am sure that the folks at camera-wiki.org would LOVE to see a photo of it.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-18-2016   #4
Greyscale

You might find this enlightening, as you now own the second known example of the Frank Six V.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Frank_Six

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-18-2016   #5
hanskerensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
If it is a Frank Six II, it will be one of only two known to exist. But, being a rangefinder, it is probably the equally (or possibly more) uncommon Frank Six V.

ETA: Your "VR" model seems to be completely undocumented, as far as an actual photo, on the internet. I am sure that the folks at camera-wiki.org would LOVE to see a photo of it.
Sure we would love to have some images of it on our page :
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Frank_Six#The_Frank_Six_V

Old 12-19-2016   #6
jwc57

I'll take some photos and post them. I had seen the article mentioned, but I find it difficult to believe this poor camera is that rare. It has been sitting in a box in garage without climate control---for twenty plus North Carolina years.

If true, it means that I won't take it apart and attempt to repair it or recondition it. My skills in regards to camera reconditioning are extremely limited. That is unfortunate because I was looking forward to owning a working MF folding dual format camera. I will at least get a small glass case to display it on a shelf though.

Old 12-19-2016   #7
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

The one Frank-six I've seen was the spitting image of a Welta Weltax...

Old 01-22-2017   #8
jwc57

Just a quick note. I have't forgotten this thread. For some time I've felt weak and at times dizzy, just "off", and last Thursday had a cardiac event. I passed out at work and was rushed to the ER. I was diagnosed with third degree blockage and now have a pacemaker. I was released yesterday after three days in CICU. Coincidentally, I work admissions valet at the hospital's heart institute.

As soon as I get securely back on my feet, I'll photograph the Frank Six I have and see if it really as rare as thought. Then maybe some ideas on how to get it working again.