Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Semi Leotax R and the SAAB 95.
Old 01-18-2017   #1
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Semi Leotax R and the SAAB 95.

Decided to put my new (to me) Semi Leotax R, with Toko lens to the test. I decided to use a roll of Ektar for this purpose, and wait for some good evening light. Unfortunately, I found out basically immediately that the rangefinder is way off, so I had to guess distances through the whole roll. I'm pretty good at this usually, but missed a few shots, particularly at apertures larger than f/8.

Flickr seems to be oversharpening these which makes some of the slightly underexposed images kind of ugly, but you can click through for full sized files if you wish to see what I see.

Leotax Saab by Berang Berang, on Flickr

leotax saab by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Not bad really, although the controls are pretty fiddly.

Old 01-18-2017   #2
JHutchins

I miss Saab. They were often goofy, but goofy has a style that stylelessness doesn't. Looks like the new camera will be a fun one.

Old 01-18-2017   #3
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHutchins View Post
I miss Saab. They were often goofy, but goofy has a style that stylelessness doesn't. Looks like the new camera will be a fun one.
I agree. I really liked the Saab 96 (sedan version), back when I was a teenager. These models are from the time when Saabs were really Saabs!

Does this 95 have the two-stroke engine or the Taunus V4?

- Murray

Old 01-19-2017   #4
Mark C

Nice seeing a Saab 96 again. I had several, plus at least one 95. Of course, it was a bit like when I used OM-1's as newspaper cameras, you needed three in case more than one was down for repair.

Still fun to see. I recently found a picture of my friend's and my twin tan 96's parked together at a chance meeting.

Old 01-19-2017   #5
benlees

I forgot they made a wagon! Love it!!

Did Saab make the wagons, or did a separate company do the body work?

Old 01-19-2017   #6
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

In answer to questions, Saab made the wagons, in fact as the numbers suggest, the 95 came first and the 96 was based off of it, sort of the reverse of how most companies go about it - but that's part of that Saab goofiness.

It's a 1969 so a year too late for the 2-stroke.

Old 01-19-2017   #7
Alfonso B

95 was an in-house effort. It actually preluded the 96, being based off of older 93. I think that's a four stroke one as 2-stroke grille was only open in the middle part. Those early saab's were actually a product of an aircraft factory, seeking new grounds after wwII, just like vespa and heinekel kabinenroller. Or messerschmitt 3-wheeler. Desperate times call for desperate vehicles?

Old 01-19-2017   #8
Mark C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
In answer to questions, Saab made the wagons, in fact as the numbers suggest, the 95 came first and the 96 was based off of it, sort of the reverse of how most companies go about it - but that's part of that Saab goofiness.

It's a 1969 so a year too late for the 2-stroke.
I had a blue one a lot like yours, but with painted grill. I think maybe it was a 1967, but I really can't remember.

Old 01-19-2017   #9
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I had a blue one a lot like yours, but with painted grill. I think maybe it was a 1967, but I really can't remember.
Until '69 they had a stamped grill that would've been painted. If it had a V4 it would have been a '67 or '68 then.

Old 01-20-2017   #10
Mark C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
Until '69 they had a stamped grill that would've been painted. If it had a V4 it would have been a '67 or '68 then.
Yes, all of mine had the V4. Nice engine, but the torque seemed a bit more than the freewheel mechanism was meant to deal with. Really, it is odd they continued with the freewheel after the two stroke was gone since it wasn't necessary any more.

I'd love to have tried a 2 stroke, but only ever saw one; the owner was filling up at a gas station in Charleston, West Virginia.