Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Strange Zorki 1 (c) export model
Old 09-24-2016   #1
Hannes

Strange Zorki 1 (c) export model

Hello:

I just got a Zorki 1 (C) export version with Jupiter 8 lens and matching
leather case for the bigger lens.

According to sovietcams.com its a PM1080, the export version of the PM1075.
Thre is also the note that some of them have been equiupped with the
Jupiter 8 and a special leather case, starting with #174735.

fotoua.com lists it as Type 7b CT691 1952-54
(#125889 - #310527)

Mine has serial 219762, so probably 1953. The lens is from 1955.

Nothing special till now, but:

It has strap lugs, none of the 1(c) had them as far as I know.

It also has a flash socket on the front of the body and not on the to cover where later Zorkis had it. The leather case has been modified for the flash socket too.

I found this flash socket on 2 more Zorki 1 models currently for sale in Austria.

Zorki 1(c) export #220994
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-...lderId=1226807

Zorki 1(d) export with #420520
http://www.ebay.at/itm/381764996164?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any Zorki experts out here?
What do you think about the strap lugs?
Are there any numbers how many Zorki 1 have been made with flash socket?

There is still a roll of film in the camera, I'll try to finish it and see what comes out. Then I have to find the little screw for the rangefinder adjustment hole.

Hannes

Old 09-24-2016   #2
gb hill

I'm not a Zorki expert at all but love the looks of that camera. Has strap lugs identical to my 2c so doesn't look to be added by anyone except by the factory. Get a nice strap for it & set aside the case.

Old 09-24-2016   #3
radi(c)al_cam
-

Very interesting, indeed.
— Can one find traces of this sub-type outside of Austria?
— If there are no noticable traces outside of Austria, I guess it would be not an unreasonable notion at all that this subtype was made particularly for the (East) Austrian market.

Old 09-24-2016   #4
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

That's exactly how I am shooting my Zorki-zorki now, with a '57 Jupiter 8.
My '52 Zorki-zorki came with the normal I 22, but I like the balance with the J 8, and it is sharp as a tack, and can still carry it in my not-so-tight pants pocket.

I'm pretty sure I have your screw.

Old 09-24-2016   #5
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Congrats on the purchase of a Zorki-1 with flash socket and strap lugs, those two features are something I want to have on my Zorki-1.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 09-24-2016   #6
gb hill

I figured it out. What you have is from the Zorki a la carte program.

Old 09-24-2016   #7
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The lens and flash sync and the strap lugs could have been retro fitted at a later date.

The flash sync hole in the leather ever-ready case looks rough and ready, like on all cameras that had been fitted with non-factory flash sync in the mid 1950s to the 1960s.

Old 09-24-2016   #8
radi(c)al_cam
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
The lens and flash sync and the strap lugs could have been retro fitted at a later date.

The flash sync hole in the leather ever-ready case looks rough and ready, like on all cameras that had been fitted with non-factory flash sync in the mid 1950s to the 1960s.
Unlikely, since Hannes found two more examples that look exactly the same — and all three in the same (not sooooo big) country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
I found this flash socket on 2 more Zorki 1 models currently for sale in Austria.

Zorki 1(c) export #220994
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-...lderId=1226807

Zorki 1(d) export with #420520
http://www.ebay.at/itm/381764996164?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
«if one's an incident, two's a coincidence, and three's a pattern, what's four?»

Old 09-24-2016   #9
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi(c)al_cam View Post
Unlikely, since Hannes found two more examples that look exactly the same — and all three in the same (not sooooo big) country:

«if one's an incident, two's a coincidence, and three's a pattern, what's four?»
Big country or not, they still had parcel post in the 1950s and 1960s in all European nations, east and west.

The same tech could have done the work, especially if he got the reputation that he or she did good work.

Old 09-25-2016   #10
wolves3012

There is nothing preventing someone fitting the bodyshell form a Zorki 2C (which has strap lugs) onto a Zorki 1, the shell would fit as-is. As for the flash socket, I'm reasonably confident the factory never fitted them. I doubt if they would have even done it as a special batch for one country.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5, Z1
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."- Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-25-2016   #11
Hannes

Hello:

Thanks for all the answers and ideas. I will add my thoughts.

For the lens:
It is documented that some of the Zorki 1(c) have been delivered with the Juptier 8 lens. For these cameras a special leather case was produced. Mine has this case. There is a logo stamped on the inside of the back which shows a jumping deer. I cannot read the writing in the logo. Maybe someone here knows this logo. I add a foto to the end of this message.

Strap lugs: Look like the lugs from a later Zorki, but it is not the body shelf of a later one with strap lugs. All models after 1 (c) had different body decoration around the lens.
I could not find a second model 1(c) with strap lugs on internet.

Flash socket: I found 3 more with this type of flash socket. The 2 from Austria in my first post and one was sold in Hamburg some time ago.

I assume it was the same person who modified all these cameras. Maybe the importer or camera dealer. A reason why my ~1953 camera has a 1955 lens could be that the camera was sitting on th eshelf for some years till a customer bought it. Or it was just replaced some day during th elast 60 years.

My camera is in real good condition. After I finished the forgotten film in the camera today, I tested carious speeds. Shutter runs smooth on all speeds and sounds really good. Maybe the rangefinder was adjusted because the little screw is missing. Infinity setting is ok.

Can anyody inetify the logo and read the text in the logo?
The word below the deer could be Moskva, but I have no idea for the 2nd word.

converted and inverted for better reading

Hannes

Old 09-25-2016   #12
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Hello:

Thanks for all the answers and ideas. I will add my thoughts.

For the lens:
It is documented that some of the Zorki 1(c) have been delivered with the Juptier 8 lens. For these cameras a special leather case was produced. Mine has this case. There is a logo stamped on the inside of the back which shows a jumping deer. I cannot read the writing in the logo. Maybe someone here knows this logo. I add a foto to the end of this message.

Strap lugs: Look like the lugs from a later Zorki, but it is not the body shelf of a later one with strap lugs. All models after 1 (c) had different body decoration around the lens.
I could not find a second model 1(c) with strap lugs on internet.

Flash socket: I found 3 more with this type of flash socket. The 2 from Austria in my first post and one was sold in Hamburg some time ago.

I assume it was the same person who modified all these cameras. Maybe the importer or camera dealer. A reason why my ~1953 camera has a 1955 lens could be that the camera was sitting on th eshelf for some years till a customer bought it. Or it was just replaced some day during th elast 60 years.

My camera is in real good condition. After I finished the forgotten film in the camera today, I tested carious speeds. Shutter runs smooth on all speeds and sounds really good. Maybe the rangefinder was adjusted because the little screw is missing. Infinity setting is ok.

Can anyody inetify the logo and read the text in the logo?
The word below the deer could be Moskva, but I have no idea for the 2nd word.

converted and inverted for better reading

Hannes
кож изделии
Google Translate says:"leather product"

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 09-25-2016   #13
Hannes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
кож изделии
Google Translate says:"leather product"
Thanks,

So it is a leather product from Moskow.
Any idea of the logo? Can the jumping deer identify a factory which made leather products for photo industry?

Hannes

Old 10-02-2016   #14
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Some years ago, I bought a very nice wartime FED-C from a Russian vendor on ebay. The camera was in excellent shape and came in a case which appears to be from the same maker as the OP's.

This is by far the best quality case I have ever seen on any FSU camera, and must rank among the very best quality camera cases I have ever seen from any vendor. I had figured it was something special in line with the elite status of the camera. However, I have no way of telling whether or not it was original to the camera, which was among the last production of the factory before it was overrun by the Germans in 1941.

Here's the embossed logo, which looks to be the same.

I'd be very interested in learning more about it.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 11-07-2016   #15
Hannes

I found d the answer to the question about the flash socket in the Maizenberg book.

It has a chapter how to modify the camera to add a flash socket on page 125 ff.

" Camera repair shops receive the flash sockets from the plants. Lay people can make them as follows: make a cylindrical brass tube (Fig. 141) ...."

So it was a private modification supported from the factory.

Hannes

Old 11-07-2016   #16
radi(c)al_cam
-

Quote:
I found d the answer to the question about the flash socket in the Maizenberg book.

It has a chapter how to modify the camera to add a flash socket on page 125 ff.

" Camera repair shops receive the flash sockets from the plants. Lay people can make them as follows: make a cylindrical brass tube (Fig. 141) ...."

So it was a private modification supported from the factory.

Hannes

Very good, thank you!

And obviously, particularly in Austria this private modification supported from the factory was more common than anywhere else.

Old 01-18-2017   #17
Vadimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Here's the embossed logo, which looks to be the same.

I'd be very interested in learning more about it.

Cheers,
Dez
It is the product of the Moscow factory of leather products. While in Moscow on the street Nagornaya. In the year 1930-40 - Factory "Kozhizdeliya". Later the factory leather goods leather haberdashery Moscow association "Galant". After the bankruptcy of the factory, in 2004 the complex of buildings of the former factory purchased private insurance company "RESO-Guarantee".

Old 01-19-2017   #18
David Hughes

Very interesting, thanks.

Regards, David