Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

M8: Getting a 'shutter fault' message on the LCD screen, and 'err' in the viewfinder
Old 01-16-2017   #1
Rangeman133

M8: Getting a 'shutter fault' message on the LCD screen, and 'err' in the viewfinder

I have done some research, and looks like I'm going to have to send it away to get it fixed. Was wondering if anybody knows if this is something DAG may be able to work on?

The way it happened, I was taking photos quite rapidly, I don't recall if I was on continuous shooting mode, or single mode...but either way, I was taking photos quite quickly one after the other. Probably 10 or so. Then, just stopped working with the 'shutter fault' message on the back.

I love this camera, and can never see myself 'upgrading' to any other rangefinder, and was on the verge of getting the 28mm asph elmarit for it.

Old 01-16-2017   #2
SaveKodak

See what Leica will charge you to fix it and compare that to the prices of used M9s and M-Es. Digital cameras are not like film cameras and eventually they all break down to the point where they must be replaced. It's just the way it is. You might even find out you like the M9 more.

Old 01-16-2017   #3
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Try removing and re-inserting the battery first.

Old 01-16-2017   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

Charge the battery completely, followed by giving it one more try.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-16-2017   #5
Rangeman133

have tried all of the above, but no luck. well, i was very pleased to have the camera while it was working, starting to know that feeling of you'll miss me when i'm gone lol, defintely took it for granted!

will not lose hope, will send it to sherry or DAG, since i have another separate issue with my m6 that needs work too.

i have done some research, and came across this interesting post: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/...rror-causefix/

have a gut feeling, that's what's causing it to fail. won't know until it's opened by an expert! thanks for the above suggestions though