Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Old 02-26-2015   #41
Lee Rust

Just fixed up a jammed CX and now it works perfectly. I love the shutter sound and the whole mechanical aspect of it. Excellent image quality too. Many thanks to Farlymac for posting the overhaul procedures!

Old 05-01-2015   #42
Accursius

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckmanmj View Post
Something just occurred to me. Is it possible that you have the Univex Mercury CC (the first model)? The CC had leather on the back part of the "hump" instead of the serial number plate like on the CX. The easiest way to tell the difference between the CC and CX is that the CC has the word "Univex" on the front, and the CX does not.
That's what I would suspect as well. 43126 is definitely a CC, not a CX. Note that on many late CX examples, the first digit "1" of the serial number is stamped rather weakly, and often barely visible, so this one might be 143,126 instead.

Also, there is no CX with leather-covered back. Only early CC examples had leather on the back part of the rotor housing (up to S/N 20,xxx, 1939). There is a reason behind the change: the front-side depth of field table starts with f3.5, referring to the Wollensak and Ilex Tricor f3.5/35mm lenses. In 1939, Univex introduced two new, more advanced lenses, the f2.7/35mm Wollensak Tricor and the incredible f2/35mm Wollensak Hexar. Therefore, a second table was required, stating the additional depth of field values for f2 and f2.7. The change was made at the same time the CC-1500 was introduced.

Old 07-31-2015   #43
EPPaar
Peter from Savannah

I purchased a CX on Ebay almost a year ago. It is in excellent shape except for two things. The film type dial is oxidized. It is the only part of the camera that is oxidized. Is there any treatment for this?

The second problem is the focusing is stiff. At my age (76) I am loath to experiment as I am not as steady as once was. (There are a number of things that aren't as they once were). If all I need to do is remove the 3 screws under the lens to degrease the focusing mechanism, that would be within my capabilities. Any advise would be appreciated.

I bought one of these cameras from the old Peerless in NYC. In that period I used to load my own film so I could load short lengths for this camera. Those of you who are shooting a lot of film might consider buying a film loader on Ebay and then load your own.

Old 07-31-2015   #44
farlymac
PF McFarland

EP, you might try working some lubricant into the helical by moving the lens all the way to it's close focus point, where you can see the threads from the side. Some Super Lube (a very good silicon based type) on a toothpick should do the trick. I think it was mentioned earlier in thread that bicycle gear grease works good too. I've given up using lithium, as it will liquify while aging.

While you have the lens racked out to close focus, you also might want to run a pin along the helical threads to loosen any dirt that has accumulated.

Not much you can do about the film type dial. It is riveted in, and the only way to get a replacement is to get another camera (which could always be in better shape than the one you have), and replace the back.

PF

Old 08-01-2015   #45
EPPaar
Peter from Savannah

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered Super Lube from Amazon (is there anything thy don't sell?) and it will be here on August 3. I will report on the results.

Last edited by EPPaar : 08-01-2015 at 05:23. Reason: bad grammer

Here's what I have
Old 12-10-2016   #46
brand350cid

Here's what I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckmanmj View Post
Something just occurred to me. Is it possible that you have the Univex Mercury CC (the first model)? The CC had leather on the back part of the "hump" instead of the serial number plate like on the CX. The easiest way to tell the difference between the CC and CX is that the CC has the word "Univex" on the front, and the CX does not.
Apologies!!! It's almost a year later, and I never had my notifications turned on! You were all very helpful. Here are pics of the two cameras I own. The Model CX has sn 43216 clearly stamped on the back plate. Both cameras are marked Mercury II on the front. Concerning the model with the "feet" and no back plate, I cleaned it and re-leathered it. I have before and afters included. They're both 35mm cameras. It's possible the back plate was removed by a previous owner. I'll include a link to view them.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5dad94483f