Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Looking through Photobooks while recording video
Old 09-04-2016   #1
Peter David Grant

Looking through Photobooks while recording video

The other day I recorded a 5 minute video while looking through Salgado's Workers, talking about a few things I like, and inspiration etc.

It's my first attempted, but I do intend to go through all of my collection eventually. Would love to know what you think, did you watch it to the end? What was good, what was bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKAc...ature=youtu.be

Peter

Work In Progress: An Unseen Oxford is an ongoing a documentary photography project based in and around the City of Oxford that aims to look behind the known or seen and find people and activities which most residents and visitors wouldn’t notice or realise they were there. Its goal is to remind us of the things we so easily take for granted.

Old 09-05-2016   #2
aizan

i like your selection of photos, though it dragged on a bit since you didn't give an overview/signpost in the beginning. ted forbes is good at that.

this video was a little boring. the fact that you've been inspired by salgado is not as interesting as the claim you made in the first minute about photos leading to empathy (with presumed political effects) by contributing to imaginative memory, which i thought you were going to discuss and argue further.

going forward, i want to see you address all of the questions raised by the claim you made here, and i want to know how and why you've been inspired by photographers. that would be a really, really interesting series of videos on photobooks.

Old 09-05-2016   #3
Peter David Grant

Hi Aizan,

Thank you for taking the time to to watch the video and reply.

Yeah Ted has some great videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/theartofphotography if anyone is interested).

Ok that is great, I think I'll prepare differently next time, by answering some questions, and then using those answers to guide what I talk about. The ones that spring to mind are:

1. Why I've been inspired by the work
2. How have I been inspired by the work
3. How that relates to my purpose of photographing

I think the answer to the first will also lead to a much stronger introduction to the book as well.

I'll do a new one soon!

Thanks again,
Peter

Work In Progress: An Unseen Oxford is an ongoing a documentary photography project based in and around the City of Oxford that aims to look behind the known or seen and find people and activities which most residents and visitors wouldn’t notice or realise they were there. Its goal is to remind us of the things we so easily take for granted.

Old 09-05-2016   #4
Talus
pan sin sal

Hi Peter,

I would echo some of the comments that were made earlier. Find a theme or or a few key factors that you find consistent throughout the Workers book and then discuss how they are portrayed in each of the the photos that you've selected, and then your response them. This video seems very off the cuff, without direction. A bit more preparation should help you hone in on the details that have stood out to you. The more you prepare, the closer and more reflective you can look. I do like the format and the concept though and would hope to see future videos!

On a side note, I've been looking to collect more photo books and Workers is one of them. There seem to be a number of additions, ranging from 160ish pages to 400. Do you have any recommendations or comments about which is preferable?

Old 09-05-2016   #5
Peter David Grant

Hey Talus,

I like the idea of finding a few ideas through the book, and then bringing that back to the specific photo - will defo give that a try. It was definitely off the cuff, but I find that useful way to start something!

I'll be sure to do more.

As for the different editions, I'm honestly not sure, the one I have is the 400 pager, I didn't know there was a shorter version! If I had the choice, I would go with the larger book, but the shorter one could be interesting too. Where did you see a shorter version?

Peter

Old 09-05-2016   #6
Talus
pan sin sal

Hey Peter,

From what I can tell, there are a number of editions:

1994- 1st Ed. by Aperture - 400 pages
1994 By Asahi Shinbun; 1st edition (1994) - Japanese and English text. 165 pages
1997/8 - by Phaidon Not sure page #s
2005 - by Aperture 400 pages
2012 - by Kant - "bilingual edition" 124 photos

Old 09-09-2016   #7
Peter David Grant

Hi Talus,

Sorry for the slow reply, that is interesting information - I definitively have the 2005 edition. I would guess the shorter editions will be harder to get hold off. I love his work, so given the choice, I'd go with the longer Aperture version.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus View Post
Hey Peter,

From what I can tell, there are a number of editions:

1994- 1st Ed. by Aperture - 400 pages
1994 By Asahi Shinbun; 1st edition (1994) - Japanese and English text. 165 pages
1997/8 - by Phaidon Not sure page #s
2005 - by Aperture 400 pages
2012 - by Kant - "bilingual edition" 124 photos

Old 09-09-2016   #8
Talus
pan sin sal

Sure no problem. I can agree that his work is tremendous.

Old 11-23-2016   #9
Big Ursus

Thanks for a real treat. Terrific idea to show us your pictures, which were inspired by the photographer (in this case, Salgado) whose book you're displaying.

BTW, your video looks especially good when I watch it in "full screen".

Perhaps spend more time on an image before you turn the page, so I can get a better look? You might also consider mentioning what was special about a photo; why you wanted to show us that one in particular.