Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

DANNY LYON - Only one more month!
Old 08-22-2016   #1
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

DANNY LYON - Only one more month!

Only one more month! This is one of those shows people will talk about for years. "Did you see the Whitney show?"

DANNY LYON: MESSAGE TO THE FUTURE
JUNE 17–SEPT 25, 2016

If you are even remotely close, take a bus, take a train!

Also as a reminder ICP is open again! On the Bowery near all the new lower east side galleries and the New Museum.

https://www.icp.org/facilities/museum

Old 08-22-2016   #2
jojoman2

this was a fantastic show

Old 08-22-2016   #3
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
It's well worth going! Good selections and the printing was wonderful. I dunno if Danny did his own printing or not, but I was impressed.

The only image that left me cold -- for both content and printing -- was the one of the Occupy Wall Street shot. It was soulless compared to the other work, bereft of anything except protest as a form of self-conscious theater. It had none of the passion (for the protestors and the photographer) of earlier movements. And this single image was the only b/w digital print that I saw -- there were a few other color inkjets and they were great. But the printing for this shot stuck out as obviously not silver halide and not up to the rest of the show.

For content (not printing), the only other group that I felt was lacking was the China images. As someone who has lived and worked in Asia for a good part of my life, I found these images trite and stereotyped. (Yet another shot of an opera singer putting on makeup in the mirror? Ugh. It doesn't get any more over-worked and cliched than that.) I put this down to the fact that Danny doesn't speak Chinese and wasn't able to really get "inside" the people he was photographing in China as he does with all his other subjects. But, really, that was just a small number of mediocre images in an otherwise fabulous, fabulous show.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-22-2016   #4
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
The only image that left me cold -- for both content and printing -- was the one of the Occupy Wall Street shot. It was soulless compared to the other work, bereft of anything except protest as a form of self-conscious theater. It had none of the passion (for the protestors and the photographer) of earlier movements. And this single image was the only b/w digital print that I saw -- there were a few other color inkjets and they were great. But the printing for this shot stuck out as obviously not silver halide and not up to the rest of the show.
I would agree, whatever magic he had was lost in those photos, but it reminded me how fragile creativity, and our lives are. Those letdowns made the show even more powerful.

It is not just a show but a creative journey, a very intimate one. The video was mesmerizing for me.

Old 08-22-2016   #5
Papercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
I would agree, whatever magic he had was lost in those photos, but it reminded me how fragile creativity, and our lives are. Those letdowns made the show even more powerful.

It is not just a show but a creative journey, a very intimate one. The video was mesmerizing for me.

Good point! In that narrative sense, I can appreciate the inclusion of that image too.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-22-2016   #6
jsrockit

Jeez, you guys are rough on a guy that has been there and done it. As far as cliches... I'm not really sure of any photographer that doesn't make them. The only way you could avoid them is by being an innovator or the originator of a type of photo.

Old 08-22-2016   #7
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Just went to Danny's show, Thanks Fred
and Arbus Uptown

Just GREAT... thoroughly Enjoyed Both shows !!

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 08-22-2016   #8
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
As far as cliches... I'm not really sure of any photographer that doesn't make them.
I have looked back over my own history and been appalled at work I never showed my dealer at the time it was created. We are perhaps the worst judges of our own work?

Old 08-22-2016   #9
Papercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Just went to Danny's show, Thanks Fred
and Arbus Uptown

Just GREAT... thoroughly Enjoyed Both shows !!

Where is Arbus showing? (I'm so out of things this year ...)

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-22-2016   #10
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Where is Arbus showing? (I'm so out of things this year ...)
hello there 'papercut'

The Metropolitan Museum of Art also has
the Whitney's old space ... 75 th & Madison

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 08-22-2016   #11
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

http://www.metmuseum.org/press/exhib...16/diane-arbus

July 12–November 27, 2016

Exhibition Location:
The Met Breuer, 2nd floor
Press Preview:
Monday, July 11, 10 am–noon

As part of the inaugural season at The Met Breuer, diane arbus: in the beginning will open on July 12, featuring more than 100 photographs that together will redefine one of the most influential and provocative artists of the 20th century. This landmark exhibition will highlight never-before-seen early work of Diane Arbus (1923–71), focusing on the first seven years of her career, from 1956 to 1962—the period in which she developed the idiosyncratic style and approach for which she has been recognized, praised, criticized, and copied the world over.

Old 08-22-2016   #12
Papercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
hello there 'papercut'

The Metropolitan Museum of Art also has
the Whitney's old space ... 75 th & Madison

Thanks Helen -- you can call me Kevin.

Quote:
http://www.metmuseum.org/press/exhib...16/diane-arbus

July 12–November 27, 2016

Exhibition Location:
The Met Breuer, 2nd floor
Press Preview:
Monday, July 11, 10 am–noon

As part of the inaugural season at The Met Breuer, diane arbus: in the beginning will open on July 12, featuring more than 100 photographs that together will redefine one of the most influential and provocative artists of the 20th century. This landmark exhibition will highlight never-before-seen early work of Diane Arbus (1923–71), focusing on the first seven years of her career, from 1956 to 1962—the period in which she developed the idiosyncratic style and approach for which she has been recognized, praised, criticized, and copied the world over.

Thanks, Fred for the show blurb. Should definitely make the trip in for this one too.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-22-2016   #13
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

This is an amazing summer for photography in New York City. Work at the New Museum, and MoMA also, as well as lots of photo work on the lower east side.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...ggleston/?_r=0

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...f-jazz-giants/

Old 08-22-2016   #14
jsrockit

Quote:
This is an amazing summer for photography in New York City. Work at the New Museum, and MoMA also, as well as lots of photo work on the lower east side.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...ggleston/?_r=0

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...f-jazz-giants/
What's at the New Museum?

Old 08-22-2016   #15
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
What's at the New Museum?
A very odd show, called "The Keeper." http://www.newmuseum.org/exhibitions/view/the-keeper

“The Keeper” is an exhibition dedicated to the act of preserving objects, artworks, and images, and to the passions that inspire this undertaking. A reflection on the impulse to save both the most precious and the apparently valueless, it brings together a variety of imaginary museums, personal collections, and unusual assemblages, revealing the devotion with which artists, collectors, scholars, and hoarders have created sanctuaries for endangered images and artifacts."

At MoMA, more difficult work to describe,"BRUCE CONNER: IT’S ALL TRUE"
The first complete retrospective of Bruce Conner’s 50-year career brings together over 250 works, from rarely shown paintings, collages, and assemblages to photographs and groundbreaking films. And Teiji Furuhashi: "Lovers."

Conner's work is definitely worth seeing, but be warned, it is very "California."

Old 08-22-2016   #16
jsrockit

Thanks NHSWM

Old 08-22-2016   #17
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Bruce Conner exhibit I had mixed feelings about ...
some of the Video I enjoyed... a few installations
but for such a huge exhibit not much turned my head

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 08-23-2016   #18
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

When I first entered the Bruce Conner show, it felt like I had time traveled back to the "The Haight," and was staying with friends in Oakland. I had to mentally re enter the show several times.

Conner was difficult for me, but I would not have wanted to miss the films, or the life sized photograms, "Angels." For me personally, found-object assemblage, meh.

As for film, I certainly enjoyed Bouchra Khalili's "The Mapping Journey Project" much more, watched all of the films.

Old 08-23-2016   #19
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

http://whitney.org/Exhibitions/Danny...ageToTheFuture

Nikon F

Old 08-23-2016   #20
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Here is an interview, from a magazine database my partner and I built.

http://bombmagazine.org/article/6620/danny-lyon

"Edwards had loaned me his Rolleiflex—that was the first 2 1/4 inch I used. And I must have taken it south, because some of those pictures are square format. I had a funky old Leica M2 that scratched every picture. Eventually, the Nikon F would be my real workhorse. With The Bikeriders, I didn’t use a Leica. It was a Nikon Reflex, that early, single-lens Reflex. It was such a fabulous camera with a prism on it—no light meter. I had a 2 1/4 inch for The Bikeriders also. When I got to Manhattan in 1967 and realized what I was getting into, making architectural pictures, I went to Olden’s on Broadway and 43rd Street and got the cheapest view camera you could get—a Calumet."

Old 08-23-2016   #21
Papercut

Quote:
Here is an interview, from a magazine database my partner and I built.

http://bombmagazine.org/article/6620/danny-lyon

"Edwards had loaned me his Rolleiflex—that was the first 2 1/4 inch I used. And I must have taken it south, because some of those pictures are square format. I had a funky old Leica M2 that scratched every picture. Eventually, the Nikon F would be my real workhorse. With The Bikeriders, I didn’t use a Leica. It was a Nikon Reflex, that early, single-lens Reflex. It was such a fabulous camera with a prism on it—no light meter. I had a 2 1/4 inch for The Bikeriders also. When I got to Manhattan in 1967 and realized what I was getting into, making architectural pictures, I went to Olden’s on Broadway and 43rd Street and got the cheapest view camera you could get—a Calumet."

Nice! I was curious what equipment he used, not that it's important, just "idle curiosity." Lately, I've been tempted to pick up a Nikon F myself ... or an F2.
Just because (in other words, also idle curiosity).

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-23-2016   #22
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Nice! I was curious what equipment he used, not that it's important, just "idle curiosity." Lately, I've been tempted to pick up a Nikon F myself ... or an F2.
Just because (in other words, also idle curiosity).
They are so cheap on ebay! Most work well, might need some foam on the mirror, but if you don't need a meter, the biggest issue is a good prism on the F. F2's are a bit more money, but the standard prism models are usually better glass.

Old 08-23-2016   #23
airfrogusmc

I hope the Lyon show makes it to Chicago. Sparky and Cowboy is one of my favorite portraits. Hanging with the Outlaws and them letting him photograph their world. Great stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Old 08-23-2016   #24
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
I hope the Lyon show makes it to Chicago. Sparky and Cowboy is one of my favorite portraits. Hanging with the Outlaws and them letting him photograph their world. Great stuff. Thanks for posting this.

"Whitney in June 2016 before traveling to San Francisco." Sadly no mention of other locations.

Old 08-23-2016   #25
airfrogusmc

Thanks but can't hurt to hope.

Siskind just closed and Parks is at the Art Institute. Both were terrific exhibits.

Old 08-24-2016   #26
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Thanks but can't hurt to hope.

Siskind just closed and Parks is at the Art Institute. Both were terrific exhibits.
Love the Art Institute in Chicago. Long time, last visited during a camera show in Chicago.

Old 10-26-2016   #27
gns

Both shows (Lyon & Conner) opening next week in S.F.
Going to a preview of It's All True tomorrow. Conner of course is art world royalty out here in California. And maybe the reluctant inventor of the music video based on early films like Breakaway from 1966 and later work with Devo and other bands.