Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Zeiss Ikonta 523/16
Old 10-03-2016   #1
Roger Hicks

Zeiss Ikonta 523/16

A new piece on the web-site about a late Zeiss folder. I'm probably going to sell it eventually. What would you do as a seller: sell it "as is" so that the buyer knows it hasn't been messed up by an amateur; get it fixed professionally; fix it yourself? How would you respond as a buyer to those scenarios?

Always assuming, of course, that I ever do get around to selling it...

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-03-2016   #2
radi(c)al_cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
What would you do as a seller: sell it "as is" so that the buyer knows it hasn't been messed up by an amateur; get it fixed professionally; fix it yourself?
I would sell it «as is», I presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
How would you respond as a buyer to those scenarios?
Well, if you, dear Roger, are the seller, then I suppose that your «amateur» repair is still much better than many so called «professional» repairs.

It's an old camera, after all, and there are not that many professional repairers today who are really prepared or exercised regarding repairing old leaf shutters, I guess.

Old 10-03-2016   #3
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Roger, I'd say I'd fix it and sell it, as I cut my teeth working on lens shutters, but it would be more like fix it and keep it, as I'm hopeless at selling cameras, full stop. Mind you I have let a couple go to pay for the Super Technika that turned up unannounced. I don't think the issue about sorting it is one of amateur versus professional, as much as the quality of the work, but I accept that widely held perceptions of either might generally favour the latter.
Cheers
Brett

Old 10-03-2016   #4
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Roger, I'd say I'd fix it and sell it, as I cut my teeth working on lens shutters, but it would be more like fix it and keep it, as I'm hopeless at selling cameras, full stop. Mind you I have let a couple go to pay for the Super Technika that turned up unannounced. I don't think the issue about sorting it is one of amateur versus professional, as much as the quality of the work, but I accept that widely held perceptions of either might generally favour the latter.
Cheers
Brett
Dear Brett,

Precisely my problem...

Cheers,

R.