Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

any OS X Experts here?
Old 02-21-2016   #1
Florian1234
it's just hide and seek

any OS X Experts here?

Today I did an update of my late 2011 13" MBPro to El Capitan 10.11.3 - after the restart the Mac App Store is not working. I can open the App Store, but it gives a blank page with the big icon and in the left upper corner next to the arrows the little wheel is turning, but it does not fully load the App Store. When I try to click on "Store" in the menu, the App Store is freezing and the little multi-colored cursor appears instead of the regular cursor.

What can I do? Please help me.

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

"You can't fight in here - it's the war room..." I
http://www.flickr.com/photos/florian_d

Old 02-21-2016   #2
GaryLH

Have u tried a complete cold reboot of the computer? I remember having seen some weird behavior at times after an upgrade even prior to 10.11.3 that seemed to clear up after a cold reboot. Power down, wait for about a couple of minutes, the power it back up. Not sure if this will solve your problem, but it help me in the past.

I have had trouble w/ the App Store before where it would work on one computer but not the others. I ended up using the good computer to get the upgrades for the other. I was broken for two OS X upgrades until this last one. Apple support could figure it out but suspected a Apple Store side database error.

Your problem sounds different from mine.

Good luck,
Gary

Old 02-21-2016   #3
FrankS

Have you tried turning it off and back on?

photography makes me happy

Old 02-21-2016   #4
lonemantis

Maybe try an automated cleanup utility like Onyx: http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

When you do in-place upgrades on any operating system, a lot of detritus tends to build up and occassionally cause problems. Try running all of the scripts in the "Automation" section of Onyx, then restart.

Another handy trick for curing a glitchy Mac is clearing the PRAM. Fully shut down, then power back on. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the CMD, Option, P, and R keys at the same time, and keep them down until you hear the Mac startup chime the second time. This clears out your systems' hardware memory that can go wonky with OS upgrades.

Old 02-21-2016   #5
Samouraļ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonemantis View Post
Maybe try an automated cleanup utility like Onyx: http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

When you do in-place upgrades on any operating system, a lot of detritus tends to build up and occassionally cause problems. Try running all of the scripts in the "Automation" section of Onyx, then restart.

Another handy trick for curing a glitchy Mac is clearing the PRAM. Fully shut down, then power back on. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the CMD, Option, P, and R keys at the same time, and keep them down until you hear the Mac startup chime the second time. This clears out your systems' hardware memory that can go wonky with OS upgrades.
Even better, why not back up the data, then wipe and reinstall the operating system. Start fresh. This is the best course of action, and Apple will ask if you've tried that yet. So try it and see if it works, it's easy. And if it doesn't, then Apple can help you.

Old 02-21-2016   #6
Florian1234
it's just hide and seek

I put it off and back on, also enabled debug mode via terminal, nothing helped. same in the guest user area

Same thing
Old 02-21-2016   #7
Dektol Dan

Same thing

happened to me. It takes forever to download, there is nothing presented that says that it has finished installing. I let it go almost 40 minutes, shut down an rebooted. All was well.

Old 02-21-2016   #8
Samouraļ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dektol Dan View Post
happened to me. It takes forever to download, there is nothing presented that says that it has finished installing. I let it go almost 40 minutes, shut down an rebooted. All was well.
The best way is to download the OS from the App Store (not sure if that's possible in OP's situation, but it's useful to have on-hand) and use DiskMaker X to create a USB OS X installer. This is quicker than using the recovery partition, and you can securely erase and reinstall everything from the entire system drive, including the recovery partition.

You can even encrypt and then erase the entire system drive from the USB copy of the OS X installer if you were to ever sell your SSD-equipped computer.

Another savior, if you can't boot or have damaged system files, would be to use either a Firewire or Thunderbolt cable to connect two OS X computers and boot one into 'Target' mode and grab files from a second computer. I have had to do this when I had a failed upgrade install...I generally don't upgrade and always install fresh copies of large OS version updates (i.e. Yosemite to El Capitan).

Old 02-21-2016   #9
Florian1234
it's just hide and seek

This here helped (deleted a folder of preferences/library) https://discussions.apple.com/message/29819323#29819323

Thanks for reading and thinking.

Old 02-24-2016   #10
Florian1234
it's just hide and seek

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
If you look at the ownership of the VAR file you deleted it is:

drwxr-xr-x 4 _softwareupdate _softwareupdate (mine)

VAR files should be updated/updated by a restart. Don't get in the habit of deleting VAR folders. It is created to increase security in OS 10.5 and better.

Personally I would have tried a higher level as I suggested first, but glad it worked. Be sure and turn Root access off after deleting a root file.
Could you explain what that means, please? I'm not an expert on Mac OS X